New Member. My Ownership Review of my 2006 TSX.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Member. My Ownership Review of my 2006 TSX.

Hey everyone, Im new to the forum and I wanted to welcome myself and give a review on my ownership experience with my 2006 CGP TSX. I am going to break this review into topics of: Features, Reliability, Driving Experience, Aging Quality. I have had my TSX for 8 months now, I bought the car with 105k and now have 122k and in that time I have to say this is the best car I have ever owned. I bought my car not knowing that it had a rebuilt title. However, the way it drives and runs you wouldn't think it something happen to it.

Reliability/Cost to maintain Score 9.5/10

This was one of my main concerns when looking for a car. I needed a car that's reliable and easy to maintain. I could deal with little glitches, but I didn't want a car with known mechanical failures. The cars on my list were the TSX, 04-06 TL, and the VW Passat 3.6 4motion. I read and searched about 2-3 hours on forums trying to find a car that was right for me. I crossed the 2 other cars off my list due to the questionable reliability (VW Passat 3.6's Oil Pump bolt Failure causing catostrophic engine failure), (Acura TL 04-06 5AT Transmission 3rd gear clutch failing). I researched the TSX and couldn't find any reliability issues that concerned me. The only big issue I saw was the Power Steering hose (covered under recall). Also the Torque Converter whistle, which I found wasn't a big issue. I have had no issues with failing mechanic or electronic parts or sensors. The only issue I had was the battery (8 years old) which I upgraded to a bigger one. The serpentine belt need to be replaced which was probably the original on the car. Other than that no other issues.

Features and Driving Experience Score 9/10

I call the features on this car "Simple Luxury" Basically the TSX gives you the features that you are REALLY going to use, but doesn't give you all those automatic features. Features such as Heated Seats & Mirrors, Simple memory Seats, Awesome Navigation System w/ Voice Commands, Bluetooth Hands-Free, Steering wheel Controls, Driving Info Center, Turn Signal Mirrors, Dual Climate Control, Nice 8-Speaker Sound System w/ AUX, 6-CD, and Sirius/XM, and let's not forget the HID Xenon Headlights. However you don't have all the automatic features like: auto locking, auto windows, auto headlights, auto heated mirrors. I must say I like that because it's less things to break or wear out on the car. I owned alot of cars in my past and I will say the more things electronic or automatic, the more it will potentially break. Driving experience of the car is Amazing. The TSX is the answer to cure fatigued driving. The seats hug you in like a glove, the suspension is tight and flat, but at the same time comfortable. What I most love about the car is the steering. I've been looking for a car thats steering is direct and has great feel. I was tired of driving cars that steering was either numb or so lazy that you would have to nearly turn the wheel a full turn to change lanes. The TSX's steering fit my bill perfectly. The feel is awesome and the feedback is so direct. The steering makes you want keep 2 hands on the wheel. It also keeps alert and active you drive it, and that's what I love about it. I still grin when going around curvy roads or expressway interchanges with no body roll or lazy feeling steering.

Quality of Aging 8.5/10

This car ages well. After 8 year and 122k the seats have no rips or tears. The dashboard has no cracks or peeling. The buttons on the headunit, door, and steering wheel have no peeling and the LED Backlight still work. Inteior plastics have not broken or fell apart. Now there is a rattle coming from somewhere in the interior, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Compared to other cars I have driven or Test drove it's so much better. Beats the crap out the GM or Chrysler interiors. My brother had a 2006 Dodge Magnum R/t with 51k miles on it and the Interior went to sh*t. The whole center console broke out the floor, and half his LED's backlights went out.

I also test drove a 2008 G35X with 58K miles, and even though I loved the power and the feel of the car, but the interior wasn't the best quality. The Steering wheel and HeadUnit buttons were peeling, and the Seat bolster leather was cracked and you could see the white foam padding. The peeling and seat cracking is a common problem with the G35. In my opinon, I think Honda/Acura makes the some of best quality interiors.

Closing Notes Overall I love my car. I sometime just can't wait to go out and drive it. I like how Acura made a car that's quick (definitely note fast ), sporty, reliable, and can get up to 38MPG (maybe a little optimistic). My next car will most likely be an Acura. I'm liking the RL alot, and they are going for really cheap. But this conclude my review, and I hope this can help someone looking at buying an TSX.
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (12-05-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Definitely agree with all that, and it's amazing that you've had no problems considering it's rebuilt!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, and yea honestly the car was very well cared for and maintained prior to it becoming a total loss. I even had the suspension checked out and they said it showed no sign of frame damage. However, the top of the car is where it was repaired. So the damage was probably caused by a tree or something falling on it.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, and yea honestly the car was very well cared for and maintained prior to it becoming a total loss and rebuilt. I even had the suspension checked out and they said it showed no sign of frame damage. However, the top of the car is where it was repaired. So the damage was probably caused by a tree or something falling on it.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Great review on your TSX. I have +115,000 miles on my CGP TSX and it has been flawless with expenses mostly being M.I.D. maint, tires, wiper blades, brakes and battery. I just did the 100,000 miles service when they replace the spark plugs and adjust the valves. The TSX runs a little better with the service. I think I got back some HP and slightly improved mpgs I might of loss with worn plugs. I did have to add a front and rear camber kit to the TSX to replace worn parts and to get the rears into specs at 100,000 miles (+7 yrs on A-spec suspension+Progress RSB). Other than that, the paint, interior, engine, transmission, and drive-ability still run better than any used car with more than 1/2 the mileage. I did have to paint the calipers black because they were getting too much rust stains on them.

I'm with you about the RL and to include the RLX. They are a real steal on the used market. I think the ZDX is also in the same category of a fantastic vehicle; but, very under appreciated only by a select few. It will be an RLX or ZDX to replace my TSX after another 50,000 - 75,000 miles.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-28-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Cruisin'

^X2

Man we have the same taste in cars and colors .

Yea my next car is most likely going to be the RL. You can get a 06 RL for under $11k loaded with less than 100k miles. I also have to say the ZDX is a beautiful underrated car. One of my client's mom has one and she loves it. Funny because she came from a Range Rover
Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
"The TSX is the answer to cure fatigued driving. The seats hug you in like a glove, the suspension is tight and flat, but at the same time comfortable. What I most love about the car is the steering. I've been looking for a car thats steering is direct and has great feel. I was tired of driving cars that steering was either numb or so lazy that you would have to nearly turn the wheel a full turn to change lanes. The TSX's steering fit my bill perfectly. The feel is awesome and the feedback is so direct. The steering makes you want keep 2 hands on the wheel. It also keeps alert and active you drive it, and that's what I love about it. I still grin when going around curvy roads or expressway interchanges with no body roll or lazy feeling steering."

I agree 100%. The steering of the 2004-2008 TSX is fantastic. It is a great vehicle for long distance trips. It just eats up the miles. Some of the things I love include the following:

1)The driver's seat hugs you like a glove.

2)The sliding center console is great to recline your right arm. Together with the comfort of the seat, it is like sitting in a lazy boy recliner.

3) GPS Navigation. I got this as an option in 2005. You can never get lost while you have it. Fantastic for trips and also for your very own hometown when driving to unknown streets.

4) XM / Sirius Satellite radio. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FEATURES ABOUT THE CAR. XM satellite radio makes long distance trips awesome. The miles and hours just fly by without you realizing how long you have been in the car. Driving the TSX together with satellite radio is like having a movable, portable jukebox at your command.

The number of radio stations and variety of music makes it a joy to go on long distance trips. I will never get another car without satellite radio. I believe that it is superior to having an MP3 player in the car. While the quality of music using CDs and MP3s may be better, the thing with having satellite radio is you NEVER know what songs are going to come on next. This is unlike an MP3 player where you know what songs you have saved on it and what to expect. Using satellite radio, hearing unexpected songs you have not heard in long time while driving a great road on a long distance trip makes it such an incredible joy.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I absolutely love my 05 TSX. Nonetheless, I don't believe is the best for long trips. I like it for the city and for a, say, one hour drive. If I need to drive on the interstate for several hours, I get home tired. As a second car in the house I am considering an RL. That way if I have to make long trips with the family I can get to the destination "rested".

I am yet to drive a car with the feel on the steering that the 2004-08 TSX has. It's just great, reminds me of the Alfa Romeo 156..
Old 12-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Agreed on all points, I absolutely love this car, as its my DD, I really enjoy it. My only gripe is that I couldn't find a 6MT version with low mileage (sub 70k) when I was buying. I guess the 6mt owners don't want to give up their cars.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
nice review=holding on to my 06 tsx, bought new. It has 170K+miles with the original front brakes. Rears were replaced for the 1st time at 150K miles.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the responses guys. This cars has been great. I'm actually giving it to my brother because he needs a reliable car for school(we live in the same house). At first my parent didnt want him to take over the car because of the rebuilt title. So I said to them, I had no problem jumping back in my TSX and driving it for another 4 years. My brother loves it, so he convinced them. Now Ive been looking for a new, and I cant find anything that suits my needs that the TSX gives me. Ive test driven: 08 g35x and g37 coupe (design is okay, but interior quality is subpar), bmw 330ci (loved the drive, but reliability worries me), and Acura RL (very nice interior, but ride doesnt match the TSX). The only car that I like over my TSX is the 06 G35 coupe. But even after driving that (loved it BTW). That MAY be my next car, but the great thing is I can still drive the tsx .
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 PM
625k or Bust!

Received 234 Likes on 63 Posts
I'm right there with you as well. Still driving my 2005 TSX auto W/Nav & have very little problems. You're going to have a tough time finding a car that replicate the TSX. I'm also a fan of the G35 Coupe. But know the Nissan interiors are cheaply made and wont hold up like the TSX interior. Maybe you should try to find another TSX
Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

^ +1
I ended up picking up an 06 G35, as it was the only car that came close to the TSX as far as handling, ride quality, and mechanical reliability. Your exactly right about the interior. The car only has 53k miles and it has rattles and a loose window . I also was remorseful when i first bought the car (read my other post). However after feeling the extra 110 ft/lbs of torque being put to the back wheels of the G. I forgot all about the gripes with the car. The G's 05+ interior is is very classy even though it doesnt have features like nav and Driver Info Center.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:gheywave:
nice write up
Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the G pick up. I've had my '04 tsx(6spd) for about 3 months and love it so far. Only thing that bothers me is the low mpg it gets.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Cruisin'

looks like IM BACK!!

Wanted to give you guys an update.

After 2 months of owning the G, I found out that I just outgrew phase of having a car strictly for performance. Even though the G coupe is downright sexy, fast and fun to drive, i am now a person that looks for practicalities in a car. The G served not practical for me at least. I can drive up to 20k miles a year (i put 19k on the tsx and put 4k on the G in just 2 months!!) and the gas mileage of the G just doesnt cut it. Also even though its mechanically well built, its not as well fit as the TSX. So a couple days ago I made decision to just sell it. But then was talking to my brother and I realized that the G is more of a fit for him. He only drives 3-5k miles a year so gas mileage isnt a real issue, hes single and loves the power. So I asked him would he like to trade and he said "HELL YEA, THATS THE CAR I REALLY WANTED". So I told him and my parents. I told them to that we can switch cars and since this was my decision, Ill continue to pay the same car payments on the G until he is ready to put it in his name. And they agreed. So now im back in my TSX and couldnt be happier even though im paying $40 extra a month. once i switch back around Im going to payoff the TSX and keep it. Im building my career up very well, so in the next 6-7 month im getting me a crossover (i.e mazda cx9 or flex) and keeping the tsx as my project/gas saver car. I never had a car I loved this much. So to anybody thinking of getting a G coupe ill tell you this. If you like the practicalities, features,and the zippy of your TSX, keep it. I wish i would of relized this earlier. I have never been this attached to a car in my life, and ive been through 18 of them.
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:13 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I'm sorry (and glad) the G didn't work out. Another Acura that is just as good as the TSX is the 07-12 RDX. It is pretty much a TSX with more room and extra power; but, mpgs in the high teens to low 20s. It is a real blast to drive in all weather situations!
Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Cruisin'

Yea the RDX is nice. And if i decide to get a 5 seater instead of a 6 or 7 seater Crossover, that will be a contender on my list. Also looking at the TSX wagon. Sexy, great driving dynamics, lots of storage space, and over 30 mpg on the highway. Hmmm
Old 02-15-2015, 09:55 PM
625k or Bust!

Received 234 Likes on 63 Posts
I bought the princess a '14 RDX and we love it. Fast, handles well & I get in the high 20's when I drive. I've even seen low 30's on a couple trips. Definitely worth considering!