New here...currently drive an A4, but strongly considering the TSX...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here...currently drive an A4, but strongly considering the TSX...

Would like to hear your biased and unbiased opinions about this car, I love my A4 but the TSX has definitely caught my eye being totally loaded with navigation for about the same price as my A4 was new...any insight would be great guys! Pros and cons as to why or why not i should get this car...here's my A4 just for kicks in case youre curious...TIA

Old 05-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Nice ride....

The A4 comparison has been mentioned in many threads - just do a search.

Of course you'll get many biased replies here as well.

Welcome to the site.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:28 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also seriously considered the A4 before I purchased my TSX. They are both nice cars, but I think they have different "wants" from their buyers.

For me building comparably equipped vehicles, the A4 would have been 5-6k more. I also like the peace of mind I have with the Honda/Acura brand reliability compared to the questionable reliability of Audi and the turbos.

I ended up getting a ABP/EB/Nav TSX for a couple reasons, mainly:[list=1][*]Reliability (coming from a 12 year old accord with 110k and no problems at all)[*]Total package for 6k less (In my opinion you can't even compare the Nav of the Acura with the Audi. 8" touch screen compared to little a little box next to the speedo)[*]Maintenance cost are less expensive for the Acura[*]Resale value (I drive 30k a year)[*]That damn hump in the A4 really only let me put 4 people instead of 5 in the car[/list=1]
Old 05-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Spooooooon !

Originally posted by yuhoo22
I also seriously considered the A4 before I purchased my TSX. They are both nice cars, but I think they have different "wants" from their buyers.

For me building comparably equipped vehicles, the A4 would have been 5-6k more. I also like the peace of mind I have with the Honda/Acura brand reliability compared to the questionable reliability of Audi and the turbos.

I ended up getting a ABP/EB/Nav TSX for a couple reasons, mainly:[list=1][*]Reliability (coming from a 12 year old accord with 110k and no problems at all)[*]Total package for 6k less (In my opinion you can't even compare the Nav of the Acura with the Audi. 8" touch screen compared to little a little box next to the speedo)[*]Maintenance cost are less expensive for the Acura[*]Resale value (I drive 30k a year)[*]That damn hump in the A4 really only let me put 4 people instead of 5 in the car[/list=1]

Ditto on everything...even the color combo !
Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: New here...currently drive an A4, but strongly considering the TSX...

Originally posted by Sick of Change
Would like to hear your biased and unbiased opinions about this car, I love my A4 but the TSX has definitely caught my eye being totally loaded with navigation for about the same price as my A4 was new...any insight would be great guys! Pros and cons as to why or why not i should get this car...here's my A4 just for kicks in case youre curious...TIA
That pic looks like Redondo Beach looking south towards the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Are you in So Cal?
Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hey Sick of Change,

The guys above have mentioned pretty much most of it. Get the TSX and you'll never regret it. It really is a well designed, well built, and overall excellent car. Best way to determine how you feel about the car would be to take an extensive test drive. Play with the navigation system and fiddle around with the controls a bit. The decision should make itself pretty clear.

Looking at your pictures, if I'm not mistaken, that last picture was taken near Redondo Beach about 7 minutes away from where I live.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

if you're on a tight budget, the TSX would be a good choice, but also factor in how long you plan to keep the car. if you plan 4yrs or less, there's nothign to worry about in the audi and cost of ownership will be lower than the tSX since you dont have to pay for any maintance on the audi
Old 05-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered AssHat

There's two other factors for the Audi as well. If you are interesting in the 3.0 V6 or the Quattro AWD system, the TSX does not offer these.

However, I personally feel that the TSX is a much more fun and "cost-effective" vehicle versus the Audi A4 1.8T (unless you want to boost it to hell).
Old 05-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro

I ride in my boss' 2001 (i think) A4 1.8T Quattro about 3 times a week, and have driven it a few times. His is lowered, but my opinions on how it compares to my TSX:

The A4 seems more 'solid'. No squeaks or rattles; every interior component seems like it is made out of solid steel (even though it is just plastic like every other car).

Brakes are better in the A4

Quattro is awesome in snow/ice. TSX stock Michelins are scary in winter weather.

Interior on the A4 is noticebly smaller than the TSX. I feel cramped everywhere in the Audi; the TSX is a much more comfortable size.

Electronics are constantly going haywire in his A4; with the TSX the only bugs you get are rattles.

The TSX shifter/tranny blows away anything under $50k (cept the S2k, but it has the same shifter). After you row through the gears in a TSX, the manual on every other car (BMW, Audi, you name it) just feels like churning butter. The TSX shifter is just soooo smooth.

Boost can be fun, but the turbo lag makes for very 'jerky' power delivery. The TSX VTEC 4-banger glides up to redline like its not even trying, and the poor 1-2 gear ratios are the only thing keeping the TSX from perfectly smooth acceleration.

The interior styling of the TSX is more appealing to me; the blue and white in the TSX looks slicker than the red red and more red in the audi.

The 1.8T is a maintenance timebomb. Audi/VW needs to work out the kinks in their turbos or just make a smaller n/a 6 for their A4 base engine.

The TSX isn't really a huge step up from a previous-gen A4, which is a great-looking car IMHO. I say drive out the warranty on the A4 (if you haven't already) then see what's out there. AWD and a power boost may on the horizon for the TSX, so you might kick yourself if you trade in the A4 for a TSX now.

My 2 cents anyway...
Old 05-03-2004, 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: New here...currently drive an A4, but strongly considering the TSX...

Originally posted by Sick of Change
[B]
Those rims are gorgeous. What kind are they? or are they Audi rims?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:40 PM
BDI
Banned

Re: Re: New here...currently drive an A4, but strongly considering the TSX...

Originally posted by domn
Those rims are gorgeous. What kind are they? or are they Audi rims?
They look like Sportec rims......nice ride!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:54 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for all the replies so far, lots of good info so far guys...as far as where I took the pics it was redondo facing pv you guys were right on haha, and yes my wheels are Sportec Mono 10's...I will be test driving the TSX this week, but Hokie do you know when the TSX will be getting the AWD and more power? Keep the replies coming thanks again
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Race Director

hey sick of change, what version A4 do u have currently, the 1.8 or 3.0 one?

sometimes the rear end of the prev gen A4 and the new TL look alike.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:03 AM
04 remembrance

Two words: Test drive.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by iamhomin
Two words: Test drive.
Exactly what I'm going to be doing today...I'm sure I'll like it...we'll see