New Ferrari 612 - 540HP 4 seater!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Ferrari 612 - 540HP 4 seater!

Wow, a 540HP 4 seater that goes from 0-60 in 4.2 secs!

Bigger, Better Ferrari Blasts In
It's the first all-new Ferrari of the millennium and the most important car the legendary firm has launched since the 360 Modena. The 612 Scaglietti is charged with replacing the sensational 456 and restoring Ferrari to the top of every millionaire's wish list.

After the introduction of rivals such as the Aston Martin Vanquish, Mercedes SLR McLaren and Bentley Continental GT, that's no easy task. Can the Ferrari do it? Auto Express had to be the first magazine in the world to deliver its verdict.

It's no secret that Ferrari has been left behind in the GT supercar class - the 456 arrived back in 1992, and since then the market has moved on. However, the 612 Scaglietti is wasting no time in putting things right.

It has already caught enthusiasts' attention across the world with its wild styling, but it will have to win over drivers with its handling as well. The early signs are certainly encouraging - the all-aluminium four-seater is based on a lightweight spaceframe chassis, and the Pininfarina bodywork, although controversial, is aerodynamic.

While the 612 might not be a thing of immediate beauty, the designers were aware that it had to be one of the most comfortable supercars on the market. As a result, the new model's wheelbase is 45mm longer than the 575M's, and 35mm longer than that of the outgoing 456. This means a more spacious cabin, big enough to fit plenty of luxurious equipment.

Slide into the comfortable driver's seat and the Enzo-style dials are perfectly positioned in front of you. Thankfully, Ferrari has resisted the temptation to load the 612's steering wheel with a baffling array of Formula One-style buttons, instead fitting only four switches. Two of these control the speed and ferocity of the paddleshift gearchanges made by the electro-hydraulically operated transmission fitted as standard to this car. Ferrari will install a traditional open-gate manual box if required, but the company is now concentrating its efforts on the two-pedal set-up.

Elsewhere on the dash, there is sat-nav and a top-of-the-range Bose sound system. And the luxuries don't end there. Given Ferrari's minimalist design philosophy, traditionalist fans will find the electric wing mirrors and seats and the reverse parking sensors hard to justify.

So will the die-hard enthusiasts also be disappointed with the driving experience? With a foot firmly on the brake pedal, simply tug on the steering wheel-mounted paddle and the dash display jumps from 'N' to '1'. First gear is engaged, and the Ferrari is ready to go.

Even under full throttle, the newcomer is surprisingly smooth, and it isn't long before the next ratio is required to continue the 612's relentless surge of acceleration. Despite the awesome performance, passengers will still be comfortable, and the light steering means the car is not even that intimidating for the driver in everyday conditions.

However, push the long-travel accelerator all the way to the floor and the standard-fit ESP stability control system is soon called into action. Venture into the higher regions of the mighty V12's rev range and the chassis comes alive.

Keep the revs above 4,000rpm and the 612 changes from a docile grand tourer into a true sporting Ferrari. And as if everything wasn't happening fast enough, when you shift the six-speed gearbox into sport mode, the awesome potential of the newcomer's 540bhp 5.7-litre powerplant is unleashed.
From a standing start, the sprint to 62mph takes only 4.2 seconds, and the Scaglietti won't stop until it has reached 200mph. Drive hard through a series of corners and the 612 feels every bit as agile as its supercar rivals, suffering from very little body roll and delivering plenty of feedback through the steering. Even more impressive is the fact that Ferrari's engineers have managed to balance the model's handling prowess with comfortable long-distance cruising abilities - unlike its siblings, the 612 offers a surprisingly supple ride. The Maranello firm plans to produce only 550 612s a year, but British buyers should expect to pay around £150,000 to get behind the wheel of one of the most distinctive four-seater Ferraris of recent years.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Old 03-05-2004, 08:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't like the styling. Look weird IMO.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Towel please.

I like that they still make a car for the family man. Those times when you need to have a 4-seater and still have a Ferrari. An old client of mine that bought an MDX for his wife from me has the 456GT. That thing is sweet. He's got a 6-speed model though. Call us old fashioned. While I like to pretent I'm Shumey, I still think that the perfect blip of the throttle and smooth transition between gears is my accomplishment, not some computer's.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Maseratti Quatroporte is less than half the price, just as Italian, better looking and just as fast. Oh and the two rear seats in the Quatroporte are actually useable by real people.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by biker
Maseratti Quatroporte is less than half the price, just as Italian, better looking and just as fast. Oh and the two rear seats in the Quatroporte are actually useable by real people.
But its missing one thing, A prancing horse on its hood.

Is'nt the Quartroporte a 7 series competitor? I understood it to be a large 7 series sized sport sedan.
And I'm sure the added 140HP will make this thing quicker.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The exterior styling is almost identical to my father's 1967 Lotus Elite. Silly Italians, have to copy a 40 year old British model to make a decent-looking car.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
The exterior styling is almost identical to my father's 1967 Lotus Elite. Silly Italians, have to copy a 40 year old British model to make a decent-looking car.
Don't tell me your bashing Italian design? I just know your can't be. Italian Auto styling is arguably the best in the world. When companies want fresh new designs they typically take their business to one of the large Italian design studios.

But I kind of agree that this car is somewhat retro. Who can blame them, everyone else and their sister is doing the retro thing.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:22 AM

i dont like the styling of the 612 too much myself but the modena? oh thats sexy
Old 03-05-2004, 10:52 AM
not worthy of a title

2+2 Ferraris have historically bad resale value. Look at the Barrett Jackson auctions. I know that is mainly for the older models, but it makes sense. Buyers looking for a used or classic ferrari want 2 seats. One for them, and one for the secretary
Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
To me, this is what a Ferrari should be. I don't necessarily need 4 seats but I would want enough room in a car that I can haul some luggage for a weekend road trip. The Modena is a fantastic car but you can hardly cary another t-shirt with you for a change of clothes. Ferraris are meant to be driven and what better way to honour them than by going on a road trip....

Too often people buy them as a status symbol. If I had the cash for one I'd have to look for some tenants for my house because I'd be on the road so much. What a beautiful car.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Actually, the 612 is penned by a Japanese gentleman. The same man who designed the Enzo, actually. I've met him and he's a nice guy. Oh, and he also did the Quattroporte.

Personally, I don't like either the 612 or the Quattroporte. The surfacing is too complicated for my tastes. From a design standpoint, they're cool cars, but just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:26 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure sure I like that styling either. But to me that yellow color has alot to do with my dislike for it.

The blue pictures here ( a blue ferrari? hmm) do it more justice.

http://www.ferrariworld.com/612_Scaglietti.htm (page will rotate images)

As for the "retro" styling, I think that was the whole point. It was meant to pay tribute to cars from teh past. TSX Hokie, have a look at the old ferrari GT cars, and then tell me who is copying who.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I know Italians are world famous for their car designs, but this one is pretty blah IMO (first thing that came to my mind was "Porsche", not Pininfarina). I agree with the others, I'd rather have the Quattroporte.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:47 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by phile
I know Italians are world famous for their car designs, but this one is pretty blah IMO (first thing that came to my mind was "Porsche", not Pininfarina).

"924" came to my mind.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:54 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Cool headlights though

Old 03-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Those wheels are WAY too small. But otherwise, it looks pretty sweet.