Need opinion: purchasing 1st gen TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019 | 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Need opinion: purchasing 1st gen TSX

Hello,

New member here considering purchasing 2006 to 2008 first gen TSX. Was hoping to find a manual but not really having too much luck. I have settled for automatic as this will be a commuter for me. I have settled on this car for multiple reasons but am concerned about the CV axel issue that seems to be common with these cars. I have found a few 2007 TSXs with 130,000 to 140,000 miles ($6000 for navi, new rear rotors/breaks and newer tires) on them in pristine condition. I guess my question is, if the car is not having any vibrating issues this far out is it likely to develop CV axel issues? It seems that people were having issues early (seeing 30,000 to 70,000 miles) and had to replace both CV axels. I am essentially looking for a used car that will require minimal maintenance, but reading about all the CV issues has given me a bit of anxiety.

I prefer and believe in OEM parts over aftermarket, but logically does it make sense to go back to OEM CV axels if they are already having issues so early on?

Considering aftermarket suspension with mild drop (springs and struts, no coils), are people suspicious that lowering car causes CV issues sooner?\

Sorry for the multiple questions but appreciate the feedback and your time.
Old 12-20-2019 | 11:53 AM
Advanced

I purchased an 08 6MT for about $3K with some known issues. Clutch, master and slave were shot, and what i thought was the axles were hosed up. After i replaced the clutch and tranny parts, I got an alignment, and they told me that two of my wheels were bent. When they rotated them to the back, it was much better but still noticable. seems like my vibration issues were due to my bent wheels. for a vehicle this old there are many things that could cause vibration issues.
Old 12-20-2019 | 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UNDFTD
Hello,

New member here considering purchasing 2006 to 2008 first gen TSX. Was hoping to find a manual but not really having too much luck. I have settled for automatic as this will be a commuter for me. I have settled on this car for multiple reasons but am concerned about the CV axel issue that seems to be common with these cars. I have found a few 2007 TSXs with 130,000 to 140,000 miles ($6000 for navi, new rear rotors/breaks and newer tires) on them in pristine condition. I guess my question is, if the car is not having any vibrating issues this far out is it likely to develop CV axel issues? It seems that people were having issues early (seeing 30,000 to 70,000 miles) and had to replace both CV axels. I am essentially looking for a used car that will require minimal maintenance, but reading about all the CV issues has given me a bit of anxiety.

I prefer and believe in OEM parts over aftermarket, but logically does it make sense to go back to OEM CV axels if they are already having issues so early on?

Considering aftermarket suspension with mild drop (springs and struts, no coils), are people suspicious that lowering car causes CV issues sooner?\

Sorry for the multiple questions but appreciate the feedback and your time.

Hard to tell when vibrations will start. At some point, parts will wear out. Mine started vibrating around 160K.

idk if you should be anxious.

Its a 12 to 14 year old car. Parts wear out on any car. Axles aren't a huge deal. Think about the stuff that wears out on other 12-14 year old cars.

You're in the right mindset for wanting OEM parts, though.

Buy a spare set of low mile used geniune Honda/Acura axles on eBay and put them in storage if you're worried. MAKE SURE the spline that goes into the trans stays rust free, though.

What people neglect is to replace the intermediate shaft carrier bearing. A worn bearing causes vibrations AND accelerates wear on the axles. Its $35-50 in parts from Honda (including the dust seal). It should be replaced if there is a vibration.

Last edited by BROlando; 12-20-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2020 | 06:00 PM
Advanced

Were you able to determine the bearing needed replacing by wiggling the intermediate shaft to check for play while still on the car or was it removed to diagnose?

I've had both of my axles replaced with cardones (yeah I know it was a crap shoot) and I sometimes get vibrations while acceleration within the 1500-2000 rpm range. Anything above and it's smooth as silk. It is quite smoother than what it used to be when in first got it, but I know there is room for improvement. I plan to eventually get an oem passenger side axle, as it's the usual culprit for vibrations. I would like to have the intermediate shaft checked as well instead of replacing something that makes no difference.
Old 01-05-2020 | 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL9oem
Were you able to determine the bearing needed replacing by wiggling the intermediate shaft to check for play while still on the car or was it removed to diagnose?

I've had both of my axles replaced with cardones (yeah I know it was a crap shoot) and I sometimes get vibrations while acceleration within the 1500-2000 rpm range. Anything above and it's smooth as silk. It is quite smoother than what it used to be when in first got it, but I know there is room for improvement. I plan to eventually get an oem passenger side axle, as it's the usual culprit for vibrations. I would like to have the intermediate shaft checked as well instead of replacing something that makes no difference.
Recently, I replaced axles on a tsx with 180K miles. I used brand new parts store axles. Still shook like craaazy. Maybe worse than before.

I then rebuilt a set of OEM axles at home and installed them. Still a significant amount of shake. After the bearing was replaced, however, it was smooth as silk. I've put a few K miles on it now and its still ultra smooth.

A bad bearing will have grease all spit out around it (look into the cup cavity when the axle is removed) and will sometimes have play as well.

I actually rebuilt/replaced both axles and the intermediate shaft bearing on another TSX not long ago too. No shakes. This car has 98K miles. It was shaking so bad that stuff in the passenger compartment would rattle.

The bearing and seal were like $35 from an online Honda/Acura dealer. You don't need the whole intermediate shaft assembly. You just need the bearing. The old one gets pressed out. The new one gets pressed back in. You'll need a press to do it properly.

Last edited by BROlando; 01-05-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2020 | 02:32 PM
Advanced

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated!
Old 01-22-2020 | 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Have you test driven one? I've always loved the look, practicality, and reliability of the TSX. After a test drive, I was sold. When looking for a new daily-driven, I specifically looked for a 04-08 MT. Found plenty of automatics for under $3k, but paid a premium for an 04 MT base Carbon Grey Metallic w/ 167k, stock besides carbon spoiler.

Purchased 11/19./2019

Old 01-29-2020 | 06:25 AM
Old Guy

Close to the above, but I'm sure it's more beat up. It's an 07, I'm the original owner, with 240K miles. A great car, though now more so a great "train station" car (leave it at the station for a couple of days and hope it's there when you get back)(but don't lose much sleep if it isn't).