Need help w/ non-navi deal- should I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 12:07 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I've already answered that since Acura is this month releasing a new disc for MY '00 TL. Unless you travel and memorize your entire city and everywhere you may travel, I don't see how the system finishes its useful life? The maps and software are updated pretty regularly, so the Navi system continues to do what it's supposed to do. If you guys are making these buying decisions WITHOUT this knowledge, you're really cheating yourself (and those you advise!!) out of a really useful feature offered on these cars. I've already said that my car's navi continues to be useful. I keep hearing "I only travel the same roads" or "I only go from home to work and back" to which I respond, what do you do on the weekends? If you don't drive then, then you spent too much on a vehicle in the first place. For my normal commute, I use the system to help with ETAs, viewing the map to see if there are alternate routes, and simply to better know what's around me (maps don;t usually display ATMs, Gas Stations, or Restaurants the way the Navi system can).
Salmoneus, I hope this gives you a better idea of the value of the Navi system. I think you simply may not have done enough research, especially being a gadget guy. Of course Acura had to figure in the life of the car when deciding to offer a navigation system, just like they pick the grade of leather or plastic to last a certain amount of time. Also, I think it speaks to the usefulness and longevity of Nav systems, that many MORE mfrs are offering them, from cars as cheap as the Mazda3 up to the newest Rolls Royces and Bentleys.

As Navi systems before even more prevalent, used car buyers will search out the feature when looking for a car.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast-lt,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) input. I am slightly amused by the attitude that those of us who don't want a Navi might not have done enough research or drive often enough.

Fact is, I think I do understand all the information in the Navi. I'm just not sure I'll want that info while driving. For weekend exploring, I tend to pour over maps before I leave. Don't I get the same basic info from my $40 MS Streets and Trips software (which I use all the time)?

While commuting, I don't think I've ever needed a computer calculate my ETA,

While commuting I don't recall wishing I had a computer to try and find a new alternate route to work that I don't already know about

I don't think I've ever suddenly needed to find an ATM and needed a computer to point me to one.

Sounds like a fun toy, just not one I'll really use. As I said, I do appreciate all the input you guys have given on the navi, even if I've used it to confirm I don't need one.

Oh, and as for the useful life of the Navi, I didn't so much mean the useful life of the data in the software, it's the screen hardware that worries me.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matelot
A-n-a-l-o-g-y. Never mind. you don't seem to get it.

I get it, like when cell phones were part of the options you could pay hundreds of dollars to have installed in your car and now you get them for free and they aren't in the car anymore.

So maybe a few years down the road my Navi will not be in the car...then I can take it with me everywhere. And use it in my non-Navi TSX, and my other buddies non-Navi cars

I have nothing against Navi, I wanted a used TSX, Navi or not...it just so happened it was a non-Navi I found so I got it. If it had Navi...so be it. I like the TSX navi commercial.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
This is simple. Navi is better then not having navi but is sort of pricey. My opinion is that if you can afford a TSX, you can probably afford the navi.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I love cars!

Thanks and well put, wsklar. With that, I think this thread's outlived it's usefulness. Haven't I said that before.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
This is simple. Navi is better then not having navi but is sort of pricey. My opinion is that if you can afford a TSX, you can probably afford the navi.
Afford, perhaps...want, not necessarily.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Afford, perhaps...want, not necessarily.
It's not like AT vs MT. If the Nav was the same price as the non-nav, I don't thknk anyone would not take the Nav....
Old 01-01-2005, 09:14 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Fast-TL. To expand on his comments, NAVI is very useful when you travel to another city and wish to do some site-seeing. The NAVI has a category (bookmark) to see any historical sites and even rest areas that make travelling so much fun. I can recall many times when I have been out of town and trailed a friend to some sort of activity like a wedding and we ended up leaving at different times at night when landmarks were not as visible. I used NAVI to get safely back to my hotel.

My wife and I also love to use the system when we look for new investment properties. We can spend our time looking at different homes all while our course is plotted in the system.

The NAVI system is the best in the business right now and to pass up on it to me is just nuts!!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
It's not like AT vs MT. If the Nav was the same price as the non-nav, I don't thknk anyone would not take the Nav....
Actually, I think I still might still not want it. I wouldn't really use it and it's a distraction in the car I don't particularly need or want. I'm one of those people who believes that using a map is actually a good thing.

But the navi does cost extra so...
Old 01-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Go Giants

Actually, I think I still might still not want it. I wouldn't really use it and it's a distraction in the car I don't particularly need or want. I'm one of those people who believes that using a map is actually a good thing.

is right. Maps are so 90's....
Old 01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
I love cars!

Wait a sec..a map in the car isn't a distraction? The navi you can program while in motion without much distraction at all, plus you don't HAVE to interact with the system at all if you so choose, so I don't see the distraction factor. A map doesn't tell you you accidentally missed your turn or auto calculate the route according to your chosen method (there are several modes available. Pulling over to "re-consult" a map is a distraction I'd rather not have.

As far as maps being so 90's, that may be stretching a tad...let's not throw them out the window *just* yet.