Need help w/ non-navi deal- should I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Go BOLTS!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/ non-navi deal- should I?

I finally went and test drove the TSX last nite. WOW- what a sweeet ride! Unfortunately, the dealer did not have the exact config I was looking for- CG/quartz/navi/AT, and was throwing everything in but the kitchen sink if I was ready to take home one of the cars on the lot. I didn't budge, as I REALLY want CG/quartz. However, I am now on the fence regarding the navi. I am just not sold on it. Anyway, did some new research today, and have a deal on the table for a CG/quartz/non-navi/AT at $25,700.00 (w/ dest) They are willing to throw in wheel locks, mats, trunk tray & splash guards. This sounds like a good deal, but am a bit lost, as all along I've been working towards a target price that included the navi. So, folks- am I getting great deal here, or what? PLEASE ADVISE- THANKS!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
If you think you want the Navi, get it...You will regret not getting it down the road.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Go BOLTS!

Me again- more key questions:
Navi owners- is it worth it? Non-navi owners- do you wish you would've gotten it?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Go Giants

Navi owner - Yes
Old 12-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Cause of power outages...

Non-navi - No. It wasn't worth plunking down the extra 2 grand.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chargergrrl
... and have a deal on the table for a CG/quartz/non-navi/AT at $25,700.00 (w/ dest) They are willing to throw in wheel locks, mats, trunk tray & splash guards. This sounds like a good deal, but am a bit lost, as all along I've been working towards a target price that included the navi. So, folks- am I getting great deal here, or what? PLEASE ADVISE- THANKS!
Last year at this time I bought an AT, non-navi with the same throw-ins for $25K even. Mine is PWP/Parchment though. Sounds like a decent price but your color combo may be more desirable, and it is an 05. Try talking them down a couple hundies.

So, how often in the last, say, 6 months have you consulted the Thomas guide? Is it worth $2K to not do that?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's well worth it. not having to look at a map, and finding nearest various places alone is worth it.

<- navi owner

edit: also depends if you travel a lot, i drive around five different states in the northeast for various reasons. carrying all those maps is just so....old school i used to have a hp ipaq w/gps, but the screen's too small and BT sometimes drops out. too much of a hassle.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Navi owner - Yes it was definitely worth it. I kept getting lost before this car, I don't think I'll ever really be used to LA, damn I miss SD...

Also I remember you were asking about SoCal dealers in an earlier post. I got the exact config you wanted at Acura 101 West in Calabasas (about as far north as you can go in the LA area) and it was a pretty good experience. They were willing to match and beat any price I found at other dealers.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Go BOLTS!

Originally Posted by vkewalra
Also I remember you were asking about SoCal dealers in an earlier post. I got the exact config you wanted at Acura 101 West in Calabasas (about as far north as you can go in the LA area) and it was a pretty good experience. They were willing to match and beat any price I found at other dealers.
Actually, Acura 101 W was the 1st dealer I visited back in early Nov when I began my TSX research. They didn't have any in stock then, but the sales guy gave me a brochure (which is now dog-eared!) and told me he'd ring as soon as they came in. He did, and I missed out (wasn't completely ready to buy). Seemed like a good group.

I sometimes miss SD too- went there for college. Been back in L.A for 10 years, and this is home.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Cruisin'

Navi owner----I would never buy a car without the nav system. It was a life saver over the weekend in the snow storm. If you have the money I would advise getting it.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
6MT Snob

The navi is nice but are you leasing the car or buying the car, if you are leasing its not worth it at all because you end up paying the full price of the navigational system over the lease and end up with nothing.

The other thing you have to remember is there are plenty of very nice aftermarket navi systems out there.

I, at first had regreted not getting the navi. But now I have the garmin ique with a windshield mount

which i love, i got kind of disgruntled with the ique when I was using the beanbag mount, which was okay for most people but the way i corner it always slid around and pissed me off but the windshield mount is great cuz i dont have to take my eyes off the road to look at the map.

The other nice thing for me is that I have two cars so I can bring it with me to either car.. Plus when I went to go visit my grandparents in florida i loaded up the florida maps and never got lost once in the rental car. Plus the ique is a fully featured palm pilot on top of that.

The other nice thing is you can also synch it with your desktop computer so if you have your contacts in outlook etc, you can put all your friends addresses into the palm pilot and directly navigate to the contact instead of having to enter in locations manually to the built in nav.

So yes, its not as sleek and pretty as the built in nav but I'm glad I have the ique over the factory nav now.

If you dont care much for gadgets and find yourself lost or misdirected at least once a month then the factory nav may be worth it.

If you 99% of the time drive the same route, dont usually go on long road trips and dont drive out of town very often then neither is probably worth your while.

The other advantage however of the ique is that you can also bring it with you in your friends car, so lets say they are driving and you are going to some new resturant that you havent been to you can just take the ique with you. That and you can pick one up with the car kit for about 500 wheras you are looking at 2000 (more with finance charges) for something that you dont get to keep when you sell the car someday
Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With Navi, a Thomas guide won't help with the nearest gas station, or nearest hospital or police station. Also, if you're already out on the road, you can't just stop and print out directions from the internet. I use it for ETAs as well. The Thomas guide doesn't let you find places using the phone number, and I'll bet the Navi is faster at finding an intersection than the fastest map reader, plus it auto recalculates routes when you detour.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

I have NAV and love it. I wouldn't buy anothe rcar without it. But, keep in mind that the TSX Nav absorbs some basic controls, which can be an annoyance.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Professional SLACKER

Non-Nav owner. Now I'm regreting not getting the nav when I had the chance. Well aftermarket here I come.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wsklar
If you think you want the Navi, get it...You will regret not getting it down the road.

Get it else you be regretting big time the next time you hear someone praising how sweet the nav is, how much "cooler" it make the interior look and everything.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

I was on the fence just like you and we opted for the NAV system, I am generaly a cheapskate but they didn't have the exact one we wanted again, just like you but they had it with NAV.

We got the NAV for 27k + BS fees and tax and I could not be happier with it It will raise your payment no more that a few bucks its worth it...

Old 12-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
hold out for the navi and check out my sig, you have a great choice
Old 12-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Everyday Joe

Non-navi here and I do not wish that I got it.....well at least not for the price. My TSX is my commuter so the family does not take it for trips. If the navi had been 500 or so, yeah I'd have gotten it b/c it's "fun" and "neat". But for me and my use of my car, it is not worth the money. If this is your only car and you travel a good bit, I can see how it would be worth the money...
Old 12-28-2004, 07:33 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NAVI Owner.

Get the NAVI!! Best NAVI on the market with exception to the RL, of course!!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:47 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Search for all the people "who wish they had gotten navi" or are wondering if its too late to install the factory navi in their non-navi car. I don't regret not getting it because its really not practical for me. Its a great toy though, so if I could have afforded the extra 2k, I would have gotten it.

I dont think anybody who has gotten it regrets it, but plenty of people regret not getting it.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:22 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

non-Navi, I never really looked into it we drive the same roads all the time with the TSX. Else we have maps. But the 2-grand extra was also more then I wanted to pay for an option I didn't really want.

I'd say if you can see a use for the Navi and want it, get it. I didn't really want it so I don't regret not having it? I like the look of the non-Navi dash way better too but I know tons of Navi owners that agree the other way.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have navi, and i use it about 40% of the time; usually helps when i'm in DC or in an area that i'm unfamiliar with plus chicks dig it!!

try to get the dealer to throw in free oil changes or like 20% off scheduled service
Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Go BOLTS!

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm still on the fence on this one, but I'm leaning more towards the non-navi side of the road. I really didn't know much about navi when I was first researching the TSX- just thought it would be a "cool" thing to have in the car. I'm not so sure anymore- I question how often I would really use it. I should mention that I travel (outta town) for biz about 65% of the time. My normal routine is home/office/home, home/airport/home. I'm still questioning the deal, but it sounds like a good one to me. I'll sleep on it and see what happens tomorrow. THANKS again!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:40 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, have you done a pros/cons list? Have you counted the yays and nays in this thread?
Like you, my normal route is home/office/home, but what do you do on the weekends? Shopping, restaurants, errands? Printing maps is one thing, but for every non-routine or spontaneous trip that gets a leeeetle tired. You out with friends and wanna call your favorite restaurant to see what the wait is? Look it up, and there's the phone numer. One nice feature is being able to see two or three streets over from where you are. This helps when you're caught in traffic (without a printout!) so you cna spy alternate routes. And don't believe the "I've lived here 20 years" speeches. No one knows every street or address in a city the size of Dallas, and you won't necessarily have access to a PC or printer or time to wait for them, every time you need to hop in the car. Don't have buyer's remorse. If you're on the fence, there's your answer. If you can swing the tiny increase in payments, get it.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

Non-Navi - it wasn't offered in Canada for the 2004 model year. However, I would have got it since I purchased the car rather than leased it. If you're going to leasing it then you're paying for something that will eventually be returned.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by darth62
I have NAV and love it. I wouldn't buy anothe rcar without it. But, keep in mind that the TSX Nav absorbs some basic controls, which can be an annoyance.
I don't like the fact that the climate controls are on the navi, however, having the navi is well worth it. Went on a date tonight and had her location and the bar location on my navi... Really helped cause it was raining buckets and I was in a unfamilar place.

Wasn't such a good date me being home at 11:40....

Oh well she was thrilled with the car but I wasn't thrilled with her....
Old 12-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Advanced

I'm about in the same situation as you, except I want SSM/Ebony AT with Nav. A dealer around here actually has the exact car you are looking for, but I can't convince my gf that CG is a nice color. Oh well, I love the SSM as well so I am holding out. Good luck!

TZ
Old 12-29-2004, 05:30 AM
Racer

For me it was an easy decision to make regarding navi or non-navi. In my previous acura, I had the option of navi, but decided to forego it to save $. But I found myself having to go to mapquest quite often to get directions and regretted not getting navi in a real hurry. So it comes down to your lifestyle... Would navi help you out in your driving lifestyle? So when it came to finding my TSX, there was no budging even if I had a great deal on non-navi... I had to get navi!

Btw, Chargergrl, PM (personal message) me because there's a dealership that I went to that had the color combo in auto with navi that you're looking for.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Racer

As others as pointed out, it comes down to lifestyle, location, budget, and lease vs. purchase.

But, even if you would find Nav to be worth the price, there are two primary choices; built-in or standalone. Then if you select standalone, you have several choices in several price ranges.

I did not get Nav, and thus far I am glad that I didn't. I don't like the idea of having some of the controls integrated with the Nav. I didn't like having a DVD drive taking up essential trunk space. I didn't like the idea that it would likely be outdated in 3-5 years by new technology. And, I didn't like the idea that it apparently does not increase resale value. And, I didn't like the idea that it could increase maintenance cost after the warranty period. And, I didn't like the idea that it could not be moved from one vehicle to another. The "cool" factor that many mention is of no value to me. To me being "cool" means being smart and practical -- or else turning on the A/C. I have no need to try to impress single women, coworkers, or anyone else with some gadget that is "cool."

For my needs, I believe a standalone unit would be much better. I want a unit that uses current technology, uses either Compact Flash (CF) or hard disk for storage, cost less than $1,000, can be easily replaced in 3-5 years, and can be moved from one vehicle to another. There are some new units that are LiPro powered and can be used while on foot and are small enough to fit a shirt pocket. But, I am currently considering a Germin 1620 with a windshield mount. The remote, I presume, will allow either the driver or the passenger to use the unit with equal ease if it is mounted in the center.

But, for someone living in CA, or any of the major cities, I would think the built-in Nav could be well worth the price. The built-in unit provides a large screen, central location, solid mount, consistent operation from one vehicle to the next (from one Acura to another -- or from one TSX to another), and voice commands. It could also be an unnecessary distraction that apparently cannot be turned off easily.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Instructor

A little history. I have a TL with Navigation and just bought a TSX without navigation.
I was commuting in my 04 TL for a year and did not find the navigation necessary. There were probably 15 times in the last year it was REALLY helpful. Numerous times it was nice to haveand I enjoy the voice commands. Now this car is going to be my wife's and she can use the navigation more often then I would.

We got the TSX for me to commute in. I know the way to work and the extra $2000 was not worth it for us.

The Acura navigation system in my opinion is the best currently offered.

Cost difference: This assumes loans of $26,000 for non-navi and $28,000 navi at 4.69%
48 month loan: $46/month difference 60 month loan $37/month difference.
For me that pays for 1/2 my monthly car insurance!
Either way you will not be disappointed.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Save your $$ and buy an aftermarket one when you NEED it, and then pick out the one you like. You will be able to use it in multiple cars, camping, whatever and it will probably be less$. $2K is too much, I think, and like others mentioned, if nav unit has issues, no heat/ac?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Who wouldn't want it? Navi is great when I rent cars from Hertz in other cities when I travel, but my primary TSX use is commuting and an occasional side trip. If I get lost a few times, I'll probably think "I wish I had it" but the trouble of an occasional lookup/cell phone call, etc. wasn't worth the extra $2,000. I paid cash for my TSX so I couldn't rationalize a few bucks a month extra on financing. Maybe I'm just thrifty, but 2,000 bucks is 2,000 bucks. Somewhere down the road it will be worth more to me for other things.

Now, if I had just moved to LA and needed help navigating all the "The" highways - The 405, The 105, The 5, The 110, The 10, then maybe "The" navi would be worth it.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Non-navi owner...

I didn't see the point of getting the Navi system since most of the driving I did, I knew the areas well. Plus, I'm good with directions so I didn't see a need for it.

I think the Navi is really the most useful for individuals in the sales profession who travel a great deal by car in unfamiliar areas. For the rest of the population, unless you're terrible with directions, you probably don't need the navi. It's more of a want thing.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Racer

Here are some numbers:

1) If you finance the Nav at 5 percent over 48 months, it will cost you $2,500.00.

2) If you invest the $2,000 in a Mutual Fund that focuses on Small Cap Growth, with some International holdings, you will likely have at least $3,000.00 at the end of four years. You could invest the $2,000 at 5 percent and have $2,500 at the end of four years -- but you wouldn't be doing much better than inflation.

Which would you rather have at the end of four years, an outdated Nav and a $2,500.00 loss, or $3,000.00 including a $1,000.00 gain? The net difference is $5,500.00. So, the Nav could actually cost $5,500.00 instead of $2,000.00. *grin* Do I sound like a Financial Planner? Decisions, decisions -- they're tough!

This line of reasoning assumes, of course, that the Nav has no value at the end of four years. And, if you sell or trade your car, that appears to be the case. But, of course, if you keep the car, then it can be safely presumed that the Nav continues to have value to the original owner.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
Here are some numbers:

1) If you finance the Nav at 5 percent over 48 months, it will cost you $2,500.00.

2) If you invest the $2,000 in a Mutual Fund that focuses on Small Cap Growth, with some International holdings, you will likely have at least $3,000.00 at the end of four years. You could invest the $2,000 at 5 percent and have $2,500 at the end of four years -- but you wouldn't be doing much better than inflation.

Which would you rather have at the end of four years, an outdated Nav and a $2,500.00 loss, or $3,000.00 including a $1,000.00 gain? *grin* Do I sound like a Financial Planner? Decisions, decisions -- they're tough!
Yeah, but you can make that arguement on the car itself.

I can pick up a Ford Focus for a lot less. Do I need the TSX? No. But I will regret not getting it compared to the Ford. Same with the Nav.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wsklar
Yeah, but you can make that arguement on the car itself.

I can pick up a Ford Focus for a lot less. Do I need the TSX? No. But I will regret not getting it compared to the Ford. Same with the Nav.
I am not so sure about that. I would not be at all surprised if the Total Cost of Ownership of a Focus didn't exceed the Total Cost of Ownership of a TSX over a four year period. I guess we need to check Edmunds.

I purchased my '66 GTO for $3,200.00. It is neat to see them selling today, in excellent condition, for $60,000.00. A friend purchased an aircraft, used it for four years, and then sold it for ten percent more than he paid -- which was about equal to the inflation rate at the time. Thus, the capital cost of the aircraft to him was zero -- he owned it free; excluding any capital improvements such as non-routine repairs, engine rebuilds, or painting, etc.

But, I understand your point and it is very valid. A primary decision is always to spend now -- or to save for the future. I used to save more and spend less. Now, at my age, I have shifted to spending more and saving less -- don't want any money in the bank when I die. Well, actually, that is not true. I want lots of money in the bank -- and a huge mortgage with life insurance coverage on the mortgage -- providing that the insurance is not too expensive. Then I can leave more to worthy causes as indicated by my will (forget the last testament).
Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Just my ... I have the same dilemma when I was deciding whether to have it or not. When I decided on a Nav, at first, I thought that I just spent 2k for a gadget that I dont need. But after a few weeks, I realized that I made the right choice. Aside from the Nav, you have touchscreen control of your HVAC, sound system, plus some other fun stuff. Anyways, I would have regretted it now if I didn't get it.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:07 PM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

Originally Posted by chargergrrl
I finally went and test drove the TSX last nite. WOW- what a sweeet ride! Unfortunately, the dealer did not have the exact config I was looking for- CG/quartz/navi/AT, and was throwing everything in but the kitchen sink if I was ready to take home one of the cars on the lot. I didn't budge, as I REALLY want CG/quartz. However, I am now on the fence regarding the navi. I am just not sold on it. Anyway, did some new research today, and have a deal on the table for a CG/quartz/non-navi/AT at $25,700.00 (w/ dest) They are willing to throw in wheel locks, mats, trunk tray & splash guards. This sounds like a good deal, but am a bit lost, as all along I've been working towards a target price that included the navi. So, folks- am I getting great deal here, or what? PLEASE ADVISE- THANKS!
Chargergrrl,

It sounds like you have a good deal on the table. I wish I got my 04/GG/ebony/non-navi/AT at that price. But toward the end of the year, TSX's were scarce or non-existent at any dealer in So Cal (got mine for $26,300).

It is an '05 and they are willing to throw in a lot of accessories with it. This sounds like a very motivated dealer. That price is lower than some people got for their '04's without anything thrown in as incentives to buy. And, CG is a very popular color (the most popular) of the TSX color line. The only question you have to ask yourself is do you really want the navi. Personally, the navigation is a nice novelty and a cool gadget but I think highly unnecessary in everyday driving since most of the time, you know where your are going and what roads to take. The Navi is very helpful in work related situations such as if you are always on the road visiting new clients but then again, you always have the Thomas guide and Mapquest for that too. Other than that, it doesn't add that much more value IMO to your driving pleasure of the TSX. Good Luck and hope you are driving in your new TSX soon!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Chargergrrl,

that's the same price i got mine for a couple weeks ago, plus your getting the trunk tray with it (which i didn't). i was mixed about getting the navi, and to me the color combo was more important. the first cg/quartz,6mt i found was non-navi, so i went for it and i haven't looked back since. btw, which dealer are you using? i got mine at keyes.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Not an Ashtray

I really think that the drivers in this thread who don't have NAVI are seriously underestimating how useful it is. It is not just for "I'm lost and need to find my way." It also is for "How many blocks until I have to make my left", "i'm in a traffic jam, what is another way to go", "where is that new place to eat my friend told me about?" I would say that Navi comes in hand 3 or 4 days a week for me and I will never own another vehicle without it.

I respect why some owners may opt for non-Navi, but it is addictive if you get it. Few drivers here who did opt for Navi have any regrets at all. I know I don't.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ non-navi deal- should I?