Need help w/ non-navi deal- should I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:54 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
Here are some numbers:

1) If you finance the Nav at 5 percent over 48 months, it will cost you $2,500.00.

2) If you invest the $2,000 in a Mutual Fund that focuses on Small Cap Growth, with some International holdings, you will likely have at least $3,000.00 at the end of four years. You could invest the $2,000 at 5 percent and have $2,500 at the end of four years -- but you wouldn't be doing much better than inflation.

Which would you rather have at the end of four years, an outdated Nav and a $2,500.00 loss, or $3,000.00 including a $1,000.00 gain? The net difference is $5,500.00. So, the Nav could actually cost $5,500.00 instead of $2,000.00. *grin* Do I sound like a Financial Planner? Decisions, decisions -- they're tough!

This line of reasoning assumes, of course, that the Nav has no value at the end of four years. And, if you sell or trade your car, that appears to be the case. But, of course, if you keep the car, then it can be safely presumed that the Nav continues to have value to the original owner.
C'mon, I think we're overthinking here. There's no data to suggest resale for navi/non-navi cars is identical. If I'm wrong please provide a link. Also, why would the Navi be out of date in 3-5 years when Acura provides updates to software and maps as roads evolve? You're also presuming she's paying sticker for the feature ($2000) and that ROI on her cash investment is a guarantee. The navi is much less risky because there's a guarantee that you'll get some return (use of the sytem) for your money. The cash could evaporate tomorrow...
My '00TL has Navi, and though I haven't updated the DVD since I've owned it, there are still many places in Dallas it has led me to, improved upon my "internal routing", detoured, and ETA'ed for me. 4 years old and hardly outdated, eclipsed only by increased screen size and voice commands but still highly usable.

Plus, now that these alleged toys are becoming available on everything from the Mazda3 to the Range Rover, more used car buyers (think resale) will want it in their used vehicles in the future.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by darth62
I really think that the drivers in this thread who don't have NAVI are seriously underestimating how useful it is. It is not just for "I'm lost and need to find my way." It also is for "How many blocks until I have to make my left", "i'm in a traffic jam, what is another way to go", "where is that new place to eat my friend told me about?" I would say that Navi comes in hand 3 or 4 days a week for me and I will never own another vehicle without it.

I respect why some owners may opt for non-Navi, but it is addictive if you get it. Few drivers here who did opt for Navi have any regrets at all. I know I don't.
x2
Addictive is a good descriptor. Show me an owner who's used it only 15 times in one year adn I'l show you a technophobe!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:02 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by wsklar
Yeah, but you can make that arguement on the car itself.

I can pick up a Ford Focus for a lot less. Do I need the TSX? No. But I will regret not getting it compared to the Ford. Same with the Nav.
This is the argumet that comes to mind when the navi/non-navi situation arises. You're buying a luxuryr car then skimping on the luxury? If you only go from home to work to grocery store, why the devil are you spending so much on an "appliance"? If the car is a point a to point b appliance, then even a TSX isn't really practical. HAving Navi is a material improvement to the ownership of the car; the ownership experience is very different without it. I've often said my TL is a nice car, but a driver in buying it over others was the availability of the Navi.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I really think that the drivers in this thread who don't have NAVI are seriously underestimating how useful it is. It is not just for "I'm lost and need to find my way." It also is for "How many blocks until I have to make my left", "i'm in a traffic jam, what is another way to go", "where is that new place to eat my friend told me about?" I would say that Navi comes in hand 3 or 4 days a week for me and I will never own another vehicle without it.

I respect why some owners may opt for non-Navi, but it is addictive if you get it. Few drivers here who did opt for Navi have any regrets at all. I know I don't.
See, those things you mention could be handled by the human brain if you happen to be pretty good with directions and are familiar with a particular locale.

I'll wait on the Nav until I can get one with the XM traffic and weather in something the size of the TSX. Then I might consider it. Until then, it's just a glorified map to me.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have Navi and don't regret it one bit. If I am going somewhere I have never been before I go to Yahoo maps before I leave the house...always have always will.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:56 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by texas arsenal
Don't have Navi and don't regret it one bit. If I am going somewhere I have never been before I go to Yahoo maps before I leave the house...always have always will.
And if you're going somewhere you've never been, while you're already on the road? Say, from one Best Buy to another? Or another errand? Not all trips originate from home or the Internet Cafe!

Re: glorified map, I've never seen a map calculate from a phone number!

Oy, we Navi owners are a passionate bunch. I think it's safe to say if you're wavering, it means you can see the benefits, so go for it and elminate potential regret. If you can't afford it, then it's a non-issue. Here's the challenge:
show me three people who bought it and wish they hadn't.....they don't exist. So there's the "get it or not?" answer.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by texas arsenal

I got my TSX a few weeks back in LA for the exact same price...minus the trunk tray. I do not regret not getting a navi one bit. Yahoo maps for me as well. Like someone pointed out in a post, if you're really unsure, there is always the option to add a aftermarket one down the road....
Old 12-29-2004, 03:15 PM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the NAVI. End of discussion.

It is more than a glorified map and is absolutely awesome when you are on a roadtrip. You can even enter business telephone numbers and it can route you to your destination. I would not own this car if NAVI were not an option.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:26 PM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

Originally Posted by bhand37
Navi owner----I would never buy a car without the nav system. It was a life saver over the weekend in the snow storm. If you have the money I would advise getting it.
Ok, NAVI not just for work related purposes but also in a SNOW STORM!!! But in SO CAL. what are the chances.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:38 PM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
See, those things you mention could be handled by the human brain if you happen to be pretty good with directions and are familiar with a particular locale.

I'll wait on the Nav until I can get one with the XM traffic and weather in something the size of the TSX. Then I might consider it. Until then, it's just a glorified map to me.

Too much Navi dependance = (-) brain power!!! Just kidding navi owners
Old 12-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Everyday Joe

Boy, Navi owners are as emotional and charged up as 6MT owners....I shudder to think of 6MT/Navi owners

Me: Just a Auto/Non-navi loser
Old 12-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by chargergrrl
Me again- more key questions:
Navi owners- is it worth it? Non-navi owners- do you wish you would've gotten it?
Absolutely! If you think for just a second that you'll like it, it is very much worth it! I love the system, and have to watch out the keys, or anyone else will take the car for a drive just because they don't need to print out a map anymore. And you never get lost...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Non-Navi here, and it'll be a nice thing to have at times since there are features other than navigation. But I'm not kicking myself in the ass by not getting it. If you can afford to wait, wait for it. I doubt there's an unhappy navi owner
Old 12-29-2004, 10:05 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by keg1997
Boy, Navi owners are as emotional and charged up as 6MT owners....I shudder to think of 6MT/Navi owners

Me: Just a Auto/Non-navi loser
I don't think owning the Auto-non-nav is bad, in fact, I think it's great...my wife and I can't share the joy of my manual Accord. She has a bad hip (at the young age of 27) that prevents her from driving a stick with clutch.

But I have a blast sharing the joys of Honda-dum with my wife and this car. My wife and I have had so much fun with the SS...I might buy one again in the future instead of a manual just so we can both drive the car. Would I buy an Auto S2000, not likely, but this sport sedan is a trip! And we do so much highway driving anymore that most of the manual fun is lost at times.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And lets not forget another important feature of the Navi, the trip computer. Own a Navi and you too can have your mileage calculated for you.

Also, Navi TSXs are slower, too much additional weight for the screen and the DVD mechanism

Old 12-30-2004, 11:33 AM
I love cars!

Where's the original poster? Has she lost interest in the question?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Go BOLTS!

Nope, I'm here, have just been swamped with work!
I've decided to take the deal on the table- that's if the car is still available! I'm hoping to finalize this today.
Many THANKS to all for your comments, suggestions, etc... It was a toughie, but weighing all the pros/cons helped. I came to the conclusion that navi is something that I can live without. Getting the exact specs I want (COLOR) and getting a great deal are simply more important to me right now.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Nope, I'm here, have just been swamped with work!
I've decided to take the deal on the table- that's if the car is still available! I'm hoping to finalize this today.
Many THANKS to all for your comments, suggestions, etc... It was a toughie, but weighing all the pros/cons helped. I came to the conclusion that navi is something that I can live without. Getting the exact specs I want (COLOR) and getting a great deal are simply more important to me right now.
You will be happy either way, just happier with the Nav
Old 12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

The deal you got is about the same I got 10 months ago. I got AT/non-navi and only once have I wish I had it. If you drive a lot in areas you are not familar with, it would be nice to have it, otherwise it is an expensive toy. Once they add the traffic info like on the RL, then it would be nice to have even you travel routes you know. I do wish they had the built in XM in 04 like they have on the 05 model.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Banned

I wonder if no-nav people ever imaged giving up cellphones....there is always a payfone somewhere...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:02 PM
I love cars!

Give it up matelot....we lost this one. I'm sure there are others on the forum we can convert.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Give it up matelot....we lost this one. I'm sure there are others on the forum we can convert.
They will be sorry....Muhaahaaaaa.....
Old 12-30-2004, 08:46 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by matelot
I wonder if no-nav people ever imaged giving up cellphones....there is always a payfone somewhere...

If cell phones cost $2000 I would?

I'll wait until Nav is as standard and as cheap as CD-players.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:15 PM
I love cars!

No, MrChad, you missed his point. You have to take it in proportion. $50 per month for cell phone charges versus stopping and dropping 50 cents in a payphone. That's a big difference! No one's talking about a $2000 phone.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Go BOLTS!

THE CAR IS MINE! I am happy to report that I'm officially a TSX owner. The transaction went smoothly, and the salespeople were great to deal with. Thumbs up to South Coast Acura, and the Internet/Fleet team of Ken, Jim & Richard!
It was pure joy to drive the car home- I live about 35 miles from the dealership. I'm just looking forward to really checking the car out over the next couple of days.
Last, but not least, MANY thanks to y'all for your advice, comments & suggestions. This site has truly been invaluable to me.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Cause of power outages...

Congratulations! Welcome to the family!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:28 AM
I love cars!

THE CAR IS MINE! I am happy to report that I'm officially a TSX owner. The transaction went smoothly, and the salespeople were great to deal with. Thumbs up to South Coast Acura, and the Internet/Fleet team of Ken, Jim & Richard!
It was pure joy to drive the car home- I live about 35 miles from the dealership. I'm just looking forward to really checking the car out over the next couple of days.
Last, but not least, MANY thanks to y'all for your advice, comments & suggestions. This site has truly been invaluable to me.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Not a bad way to start the weekend, OR the new year! Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:07 AM
Go Giants

Welcome!!! Now we need pics of you and your car....
Old 12-31-2004, 07:49 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Old 12-31-2004, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Random thoughts from a new poster (no TSX yet, just plans):

1. I can't think of a time in the past few years I was in my car and really wished I had a navicomputer with me (rental car on vacation maybe, but not in my car).

2. Seems to be the logical combinations are 5AT/Navi or 6MT/No-navi. The folks who want to shift their own gears would want to find their own way, right

3. The main reason my (just dreamed of) TSX doesn't have a navi isn't the $2,000, it's the usurping of the HVAC and radio. I don't want to have to go through navi-menus. Or is it just not a big deal?

4. Perhaps an even bigger worry on my part is what the navi will be like 8-years from now (ever seen an old touch screen computer - not a pretty sight). Is this an issue for anyone else?

PS - Thanks all for the great posts on this thread. Everything just confirmed that this is my next new car. Now I just gotta wait until my car buying window comes around in summer/fall.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Salmoneous
Random thoughts from a new poster (no TSX yet, just plans):

1. I can't think of a time in the past few years I was in my car and really wished I had a navicomputer with me (rental car on vacation maybe, but not in my car).

2. Seems to be the logical combinations are 5AT/Navi or 6MT/No-navi. The folks who want to shift their own gears would want to find their own way, right

3. The main reason my (just dreamed of) TSX doesn't have a navi isn't the $2,000, it's the usurping of the HVAC and radio. I don't want to have to go through navi-menus. Or is it just not a big deal?

4. Perhaps an even bigger worry on my part is what the navi will be like 8-years from now (ever seen an old touch screen computer - not a pretty sight). Is this an issue for anyone else?

PS - Thanks all for the great posts on this thread. Everything just confirmed that this is my next new car. Now I just gotta wait until my car buying window comes around in summer/fall.

1) Run a little test yourself. ....shutdown your cellphone(s) & ask someone to hide them see if you can endure it for a month.
2) no comment as it is uncommentable.
3) Personal pref thing. I prefer the integration. fewer the bottons the better.
4) Then just apply that logic to your lifestyle...STOP buying ANY electronic devices and just wait....
Old 12-31-2004, 06:00 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on the new car. welcome aboard!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:02 PM
I love cars!

Random thoughts from a new poster (no TSX yet, just plans)
LIKELY because you haven't really experienced the Acura Navi for any amount of time. It becomes addictive.

WHO knows, although you'd wanna find the good roads for manually shifting, right?

IT'S not really a big deal at all; there's hardly any interference, and for those who have that complaint, don't you use the auto mode anyway? All I do is set the temp, which doesn't interfere.

MINE'S half that old ('00 TL) and still highly useful!

We do it because we care. Likely time to close this one since she's already bought the car....
Old 12-31-2004, 06:02 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

1) Run a little test yourself. ....shutdown your cellphone(s) & ask someone to hide them see if you can endure it for a month.
2) no comment as it is uncommentable.
3) Personal pref thing. I prefer the integration. fewer the bottons the better.
4) Then just apply that logic to your lifestyle...STOP buying ANY electronic devices and just wait....
No offense dude, but WTF does the cell phone have to do with the Navi.

When I drive the same route day after day...Navi does what for me?

When I go on a trip it's with the wife, shes damn good with the $3 map.

And my daily job in sales means I have to use the company car thus $2grand in navi would be meaningless to me.

I'm a huge gaget feind, I love my iPod and all my toys...but the last time I used Navi my po-funk town wasn't listed neither was my dealer in Akron, ohio-- how useful is it for those of us not in a major city....it's not that great for 2grand---just yet...granted in a few years I think it will be much-much better and cheaper too.
You can get a cell phone for free now

LOL, I'm not ragging on you...but thanks to the cell phone I can call for directions too.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Is it OK if a guy asks his navi for directions?
Old 12-31-2004, 06:58 PM
I love cars!

Yes!! 'Cause who'd know about it except you and the car? Or maybe you think of the car as an extension of yourself.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrChad
No offense dude, but WTF does the cell phone have to do with the Navi....
A-n-a-l-o-g-y. Never mind. you don't seem to get it.

When I drive the same route day after day...Navi does what for me?
When I go on a trip it's with the wife, shes damn good with the $3 map.

wonderful. dude you so lucky! you definitely saved that $2k and put to good use.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:14 PM
I love cars!

That's a good one matelot.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Congratulations, Chargergrrl, and Happy New Year!
I'm just sitting by the phone, wishing He would call--the dealer that is--and tell me my new ride is here!
Have fun!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:02 AM
10th Gear

Ah, perhaps you've answers my question. I have to put $20 on my cellphone every 90 days to keep it in service and end up wasting about half of that. I'm not a cellphone guy; maybe that's why I'm not a navi guy.

But you miss my point - probably because I didn't make it well. Cellphone use not withstanding, I actually am a gadget freek. I buy 'em, use them and the replace them. I don't expect them to last long - and they usually don't. I do, however, expect my car to last a long time. My worry is how integrated the navi-computer is into the car, and whether it will prove to be a problem after the navi has finished its useful life, but the car has not.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ non-navi deal- should I?