Navigation question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Navigation question..

Can someone tell me how the navi works? I mean, I know how it runs, but was wondering if it's like On-Star where you have to subscribe to a service, etc. If so, how much is it and that being a consideration, how many feel it's it worth it? I don't want to debate the merit of navi from the get-go, only if the subscription, if any, is worth it to those who already are using it. Also, was wondering if anyone has had problems with it, whether it be mechanical or just user-type problems. How accurate does it seem to be? I'm almost positive I want it, I just want someone non-bias (other than the salesman) to confirm it..
Old 04-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no subscription fee.

The only thing you pay is the $2000 for the Navigation option with the car.

I absolutely love it. It's worked really well for me thus far. I don't know if they'll make DVD updates available and for how much, but it's pulled up everything I needed.

There are limitations to the system, though. If you live far from any major metropolitan area, the manual does say it may not cover it. However, I have yet to run into that problem.

The biggest problem I have is keeping the screen clean. Smudge marks and dust just gravitate towards it.

Well worth it. It's hard to go back to a car without a navi.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MSB128
There's no subscription fee.
Fantastic..thanks a bunch for the info...
Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

if you haven't been in a Navigation equipped car it is pretty hard to justify the benifits. I am absolutely HORRIBLE with directions and found the navi on my friend's car a life saver. I guess if you only stay in a certain area most of the time it's really not worth it but, I can assure you that the day you go out of town and get lost you'll wish you had it.

As far as I know you can get updates for the Navi.

I'm picking up my navi equipped TSX tommorow!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Racer

You can get updates. I don't have the update yet, many on the forum do. IMO, the NAVI is generally very good, the update supposedly improves on it somewhat. Your new TSX should have the newest DVD. I will probably never get a car without NAVI again. I'm in the military and thus move quite a bit, I find the NAVI essential when arriving in a new town. Really cuts down on the "Dammit, where IS this place?" factor.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Re: Navigation question..

Originally posted by SaraWI
Can someone tell me how the navi works? I mean, I know how it runs, but was wondering if it's like On-Star where you have to subscribe to a service, etc. If so, how much is it and that being a consideration, how many feel it's it worth it? I don't want to debate the merit of navi from the get-go, only if the subscription, if any, is worth it to those who already are using it. Also, was wondering if anyone has had problems with it, whether it be mechanical or just user-type problems. How accurate does it seem to be? I'm almost positive I want it, I just want someone non-bias (other than the salesman) to confirm it..
I've had NAVI systems in the last 3 cars I owned, and I will have it in the 4th one as well (TL). Absolutely worth-having this option. Even if you don't use it daily, there are situations where you just don't want to drive around shady neighborhoods asking for directions - you just want to git the fuk out, quickly. NAVI saves your life in moments like that. Plus, it's way cool.

The way it works is that it has a GPS receiver that translates your exact position to the NAVI computer, which, fetches maps from a DVD and renders them on the screen. No fee, since you've already paid for the maps on the DVD and the electronics that make it all work. GPS tracks signals from a satellite and pinpoints your location. The only expenses you could possibly incur are from updating the DVD disc with newer maps. But that's your option.

I highly recommend NAVI.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:18 AM
6th Gear

http://www.acuranavi.com lists an upgraded disk at $185. plus S&H. The current version is 3.30F.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Powered by Hondanium

It also can give you a much better idea of the area's where you travel frequently. Often I won't even use the actual step-by-step directions... just looking at the live-updated map right next to you can give you some great ideas in alternate routes. I've lived in Mass. my entire life and I have still found at least a dozen great backroads that I take regularly to avoid the rush.

Unbelievably useful tool. Worth the buy!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:15 PM
WOOT!

the navi is pretty decent at giving you directions. the only problem is when some of the address are mislabled. what i mean, is that for a few places i went to, the street numbers were completely wrong. take my old work place for example, the navi said that the destination was 2 blocks down from where it actually is. now, it's not really the fault of the map software, just who ever created it. because it's the exact same problem via mapquest and yahoo maps. so, if it's wrong there, more than likely it'll be wrong for your system too. but there is a site where you can submit wrong address and hope that they'll fix it in the next revision.

other than that, i think it's a must have! especially if you're someone who's directionally challenged.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Now for Most fo you who bought TSX when it first came out, Wasnt it Version 1.0000? its already up to version 3, if thats right I really need to upgrade,
Old 04-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the nav Sara! Remember how my system bailed your ass out in Chicago?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jason
Get the nav Sara! Remember how my system bailed your ass out in Chicago?
Quote-"I see airplanes.."
Old 04-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

my most favorite part of the navigation and perhaps the most usefull is the todays destinations option.
as an insurance agent i often have to go to houses to inspect the property.
i have lived in my town for 10 years and still dont know the names of every street in this city of over 700,000+ people.
i take 3-4 houses at a time and program all the addresses into the navigation. then the system calculates the best route to take to visit all of the destinations without backtracking. it chooses the order to get to all the destinations the most efficiently.
when im all done i just follow the directions to each house and visit each one by one.

its also awsome for streets whjere vandals have removed the street signs and the street isnt marked.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
my most favorite part of the navigation and perhaps the most usefull is the todays destinations option.
as an insurance agent i often have to go to houses to inspect the property.
i take 3-4 houses at a time and program all the addresses into the navigation. then the system calculates the best route to take to visit all of the destinations without backtracking...
Wow..I never thought about that! I'm a realtor, so the same funtion would be extremely useful when showing houses. My job was a big reason for me wanting the navi to begin with. Thanks for that tip, though. I didn't know it could do that.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by binabink
the navi is pretty decent at giving you directions. the only problem is when some of the address are mislabled. what i mean, is that for a few places i went to, the street numbers were completely wrong. take my old work place for example, the navi said that the destination was 2 blocks down from where it actually is.
Yep, wish it would be more accurate. The problem is the way the geographic database is built. Say you have one road with house numbers 1 through 10. It would take forever for them to get each house at the right spot on the map for every address in the US. What they do is evenly distribute the houses along the road, which for the most part gets you close enough.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Masshole

I'll also put in a good word for the Nav. I've had my TSX for almost a year now and it's been very useful. There are those rare occasions where it doesn't have an address listed, but for the most part it has been very valuable. For the last few months I've been looking for a house and the nav has helped tremedously.

The only thing I didn't like is that some of the addresses I entered were not found because the navigation listed them under a sub division of a town. You know how some towns have villages with different names, but they are still part of the town? Well, I've seen several examples where I've been trying to find an address and couldn't, only because I didn't know all the sub areas to a town.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by handruin
I'll also put in a good word for the Nav. I've had my TSX for almost a year now and it's been very useful. There are those rare occasions where it doesn't have an address listed, but for the most part it has been very valuable. For the last few months I've been looking for a house and the nav has helped tremedously.

The only thing I didn't like is that some of the addresses I entered were not found because the navigation listed them under a sub division of a town. You know how some towns have villages with different names, but they are still part of the town? Well, I've seen several examples where I've been trying to find an address and couldn't, only because I didn't know all the sub areas to a town.
on the Navi. I've had mine for about a year now and I'm actually thinking of sinking the $185 for an upgrade disc.

You have to enter Navi locations by their post office addresses. I lived in Woodland Hills, CA at one time which is technically a subsection of Los Angeles - however our mail went to Woodland Hills, CA. Woodland Hills, CA was the only correct address to use to find my old house.

Hell, had you wanted my number you would have had to look in a Woodland Hills, CA phone book too.

So I guess you really can't blame the Navi on that one.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:38 PM
WOOT!

if i remember correctly, it says that the best way to find an address is to enter the street name/number first, then search by city....not sure if that'll help you ppl out any....
Old 05-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by binabink
if i remember correctly, it says that the best way to find an address is to enter the street name/number first, then search by city....not sure if that'll help you ppl out any....
In my case, the navi found the street, but listed a town I wasn't familiar with. The town it listed was part of the town I actually wanted. It would be nice if the navi indicated related towns.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:15 PM
WOOT!

aaahhh.