Navi vs. Non Navi

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi vs. Non Navi

I've been looking at both models for a while now. I thought if I should buy a car I should go all out but that's $2k bones to drop and wondering if it is worth it.

For those who have Navigation, how often do you use it?

For those of you who don't have Navi, do you wish you did?

Was price an issue?

Those are probably the questions I'm wondering as well as pricing but I'm still looking and hopefully buying anywhere between 3-6 months from now.

I'm hoping to get one for around $27k to $27, 600, is that doable?

You guys have great input here and I'm hoping to "join da club."
Old 03-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One vote: Definitely with NAVI! That thing controlled everything! Humm.. almost!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
04 remembrance

It's worth it. Trust me.

There are more than a handful in this forum that regrets opting for non-navi.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Banned

search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search search

btw: best $ I ever spent on gadgets
Old 03-19-2005, 02:30 PM
CLUBBER LANG

NAVI is DEf worth it. I use it alot and i find everything with ease now.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

I was originally not going to purchase the Navi but then i test drove one with it and instantaneously decided that I had to go for it. You can always justify spending the extra money by how much it will help the resale value of the car.

Plus the more gadgets you can get the better.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

you already know the answer. you know that if you dont get it you will be forever wondering if you should have. every other car you see with navi you will wish you had it.
trust me when i tell you i would not even consider buying another car if it didnt have navi. as an insurance agent i use mine daily
just today i went to 2 houses to take pictures of them for insurability.

most notable feature is when travelling on road trips., i once avoided 20 miles of parked cars from an accident in the middle of a nevada desert. i hit detour and was routed through a town, along a dirt road and back to the interstate and passed all the traffic.
i was glad i wasnt one of the 5,000 other poor saps that had to wait over 2 hours in 117 degree heat.
that one situation paid for the navi itself not to mention the many congested freeways in california i avoided when visiting there.

oh did i mention how i book hotels and find places to eat while travelling? how would you like to make hotel reservation while on the road with your cell phone just by asking the navi for hotels in the city you will be passing through?
feel like chineese? get lists of resturants in the areas ahead. no need to ask for directions as it takes you right to the destination. you can even do call ahead seating.

i dont use it every time i drive the car but i can tell you once you begin using it you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

need i go on? if you dont get the navi your a fool!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Instructor

I don't have the navi but I regret that decision. When I got my car for service, my loner tsx had the navi and I must say it is awesome! Acura has one the best NAVI systems in the business in my IMHO. Get the NAVI!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sick-B0y
You can always justify spending the extra money by how much it will help the resale value of the car.

Plus the more gadgets you can get the better.
actually, gadget options like navi will lose value at a much faster rate than the rest of the car. Having said that, it just might help sell the car later on due to it's nifty novelty factor, but don't expect it to retain much $$$ value.. you'll take a bath on it, particularly in the present climate where most people still think it's just a silly indulgence.

Get the navi though, as I've yet to hear anyone say they wish that hadn't gotten it.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Professional SLACKER

Originally Posted by Savio
I've been looking at both models for a while now. I thought if I should buy a car I should go all out but that's $2k bones to drop and wondering if it is worth it.

For those who have Navigation, how often do you use it?

For those of you who don't have Navi, do you wish you did?

Was price an issue?

Those are probably the questions I'm wondering as well as pricing but I'm still looking and hopefully buying anywhere between 3-6 months from now.

You guys have great input here and I'm hoping to "join da club."

I had the same dillema as you do before I bought my TSX. I chose not to get the NAV..... boy did I ever regret it..... Its like $40 extra per month at the most.
So, from my experience... GET THE NAV!!!!!! don't do what I did.....
Old 03-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Wow, we never discussed this on this forum

Oh, and if you don't get the Navi, you are a loser....
Old 03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

In general, one life lesson I've learned is... If you don't get exactly what you want, you'll regret it much longer than you will regret the extra money you spent if you do.

Specifically, I have the Navi in mine, and I can say I use it EVERY time I drive the car. One of my favorite things is watching the trip computer (which is exclusively a Navi feature). The most useful feature of the trip computer is miles to empty, but it's interesting to watch your real-time miles per gallon, average miles per gallon, etc. Sometimes it even affects my driving style trying to maximize my fuel economy.

It also has a feature to store personal addresses with phone numbers... after driving to a friend's house a few times, sure you probably remember how to get there, but it's handy to have their phone number right there stored in your car.

I'm terrible at directions, so the actual "navigation" part of the Navi system is invaluable to me, but even if you rarely need directions, the other features make it worth it to me. You can pretty much control everything the console has a button for by voice, or by touch-screen. It's great.

Plus you can impress (and annoy) your friends by saying "passenger temperature sixty degrees" hehe.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't have it; don't regret the money saved. Were it a $500-700 option, I would have gone for it, but it was not worth $2K to me. There is the occassional time where I say it would be useful to have, but not $2K useful.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
TSX

Trust me guys, I did do the search feature. I try to do my due diligence before I post. I couldn't find it specifically. I thought it would be easy for someone to help me out (but to some others it's obviously an annoyance).

Anyway, for those that answered said questions, thanks for the input. Props to you folks

You think my price is feasible?

I did read the post on buying in this forum. Good tips!
Old 03-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mega
In general, one life lesson I've learned is... If you don't get exactly what you want, you'll regret it much longer than you will regret the extra money you spent if you do.

Specifically, I have the Navi in mine, and I can say I use it EVERY time I drive the car. One of my favorite things is watching the trip computer (which is exclusively a Navi feature). The most useful feature of the trip computer is miles to empty, but it's interesting to watch your real-time miles per gallon, average miles per gallon, etc. Sometimes it even affects my driving style trying to maximize my fuel economy.

It also has a feature to store personal addresses with phone numbers... after driving to a friend's house a few times, sure you probably remember how to get there, but it's handy to have their phone number right there stored in your car.

I'm terrible at directions, so the actual "navigation" part of the Navi system is invaluable to me, but even if you rarely need directions, the other features make it worth it to me. You can pretty much control everything the console has a button for by voice, or by touch-screen. It's great.

Plus you can impress (and annoy) your friends by saying "passenger temperature sixty degrees" hehe.
nicely put.

btw your avatar is scary as hell
Old 03-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Advanced

I still wonder if a navi will improve resale all that much because nav systems will likely get more advanced in the next few years and current ones might look kind of rudimentary by resale time.

I don't plan to get a nav because most of my driving is in areas that I know well so for me a nav would be a $2000 toy. And there are other toys that I would prefer for $2000. If I drove more frequently on unfamiliar roads or if the nav were significantly cheaper, I would consider it.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Drifting

depends omn how much you think you'll use it. personally, i like the idea of having one, but a $15 thomas guide does it for me. i thought i could spend the 1-2k on mods instead. and damned if those weren't worth it as well.

btw, if you can get one with nav for close to $27k, that's not a bad deal.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:23 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i only have three words for you: "it's worth it!"

Old 03-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GET IT!!! my cusin bought a tsx with nav and i got a tsx without nav. i should have gotten nav.....
Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 PM
aka davo-tsx

It's so much more than just for a Navi display....the car would be so plain without it!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Talking

Originally Posted by matelot
nicely put.

btw your avatar is scary as hell
Thanks for the compliment(s)...

[off topic]
My Avatar is from the PC Game "Quake 3". I made it using a seriese of screen shots, and Jasc Animation Shop.

[/off topic]
I forgot to answer this portion of your question... I got mine w/Navi for $28,150, but if you check this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17063 (start from the last page, and work backwards, since those are the most recent posts) you'll see a lot of folks getting a Navi TSX for right in your price range. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a Non-navi TSX and I regret not getting it. Especially know that people have hacked the screen and can hook up a dvd player to play their dvd's. At the time if I would've known that was possible I would've gotten it.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:14 AM
TSX

Originally Posted by Mega
I got mine w/Navi for $28,150

Was that your out the door price?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Mmmm... tasty.

Like others said... if you're even considering getting the Navi, JUST GET IT. You will really regret not shelling out for it later. It's really that good. Even if you're not using it to plot directions, just having a constant map running of your current vicinity is useful in itself. It's detouring function (when you want a different route due to traffic) is priceless.

The best thing I find (that I'm not sure other brand navis have) is that the Navi let's you choose routes by 1. shortest, 2. easiest, 3. minimizing toll roads, 4. minimizing highways, and 5. maximizing highways. In Jersey, the "minimize toll roads" option saves me $ every time I drive anywhere far.

By the way, I got my 04 Navi for $27599 which includes destination fees.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:59 AM
White and Nerdy

I don't have the Navi and never considered it, and don't regret not getting it, since I use my TSX almost entirely for my work commute. If I don't know where my job is now, I would need more than just a Navi system!

Unless you are just using it for the work commute, I would agree with the others, get the NAVI. I would really go for the NAVI if I worked in sales or was using it for alot of business trips, etc., or if you like gadgets, or if you get lost easily...I know that my wife, or "Captain Directions" as I like to call her, is definately getting one in her next car...
Old 03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with the

NAVIIIIIIIIII NO QUESTIONS ASKKKEEDDD

YOU WILL REGRET IT LATER
Old 03-21-2005, 02:19 AM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Talking

Was that your out the door price?
No... had to add TT&L... but I got a whopping $500 for my trade-in. LOL
Originally Posted by McGriddle
...Even if you're not using it to plot directions, just having a constant map running of your current vicinity is useful in itself...
This reminds me of a good point... ever drive at night looking for a street sign, and it's either not reflective, or angled the wrong way... no more... just zoom the Navi all the way in, and look at it for those street names!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Racer

My car is coming with the Nav but for those who do not have it the Garmin 2610 is a great unit that you can take from car to car and get on Amazon for about $650. It seems to do everything the EOM Navigator does except the car functions of course.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Advanced

When I was getting ready to purchase the TSX, I thought that it may not be worth the extra $2K. Now that I have it, I can't imagine living without it. On average, I would say I use it twice a week, usually on weeekend trips. I highly recommend getting the navigation system.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

That price range is very doable. I just put down a deposit for a 6spd/Nav for $27,395. I did, however, receive some quotes that were out of your price range, but in 3-6 months I would think it'd be even easier to get the price down into your range. If you live in an area with a good number of dealers, you'll have an easier time getting the price you want. By the way, the test drive with Nav ultimately sold me. Getting the Nav somehow felt justified, whether it'll mainly function as a toy or not, because the price I got my car for was under the sticker price of the Non-Nav (I obviously could've gotten the non-nav cheaper, but I'm not going to tell my fiance that!). Good luck!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Racer

I absolutely love Navi. I think it truely makes the car. Without it the TSX is a more commonplace car whereas with the navi it brings it up a few levels.

I use my navi a lot. It comes in handy, even when you know where you are going, it is still nice to see how far you have to go till your destination. Trip computer info is great too. And let us not forget the amazing voice recognition system.

Get it w/ navi. $27,600 is what I paid for mine. I suggest you go for it. You won't regret it.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The navi is so good, that I swear I will never get another car without Navi again and I don't even use it that much.

I may be buying Acura's for a long time because of how great the Navi is. I want to buy an S2000 more than anything in the world, but I won't because no nav.

I can't afford both cars. So TSX it is.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up Totally worth it!

For me anyway...I used to get lost all the time and would be very reluctant to venture out to unfamiliar territories. With the Navi I'm much more confident that I'd be able to find my way. Love the color touchscreen, zoom in/out, little pop ups that tell you where to turn. It's very easy to use and saves me gas/money from getting lost.

Even other people who know their way around appreciate my little gadget. They're impressed with how convenient it is to search for restaurants, shopping, gas stations, banks, etc. Address and phone numbers are also listed most of the time so you can call ahead for reservations and appointments. I fell in love with it the first time I saw how it worked and basically was one of the main reasons why I got the TSX. Go for it! You won't regret it. It is one of the best navi systems out there.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Ok, yeah yeah. I didn't get NAVI and thought that I could do with out it. Main reason was $$$ and I"m like "I'll just use Yahoo maps or something".

Yeah, i'm a bonehead and should have gotten NAVI. Get it.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by TSXMike05
Ok, yeah yeah. I didn't get NAVI and thought that I could do with out it. Main reason was $$$ and I"m like "I'll just use Yahoo maps or something".

Yeah, i'm a bonehead and should have gotten NAVI. Get it.

Nav=
Non-Nav= :silvercup

Old 03-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Luke 1:37

I use it ALL THE TIME. If not for navigation, but its sooo much more convenient to have everything display on the screen. Definitely worth the money!

ie. I had to find the local post office, so I just found the address online, entered it into my Navi and bam, that's it. No need to look back down on a piece of paper from Mapquest or even when you have mapquest you may miss a turn and then you're screwed. With the Nav, it'll reroute and get you back on track.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

GET THE NAVI! I wish I did.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I use it ALL THE TIME. If not for navigation, but its sooo much more convenient to have everything display on the screen. Definitely worth the money!

ie. I had to find the local post office, so I just found the address online, entered it into my Navi and bam, that's it. No need to look back down on a piece of paper from Mapquest or even when you have mapquest you may miss a turn and then you're screwed. With the Nav, it'll reroute and get you back on track.
You probably know this, but you could have even just said "find nearest post office" and that would have do it for you.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Instructor

I got my 05 6spd Navi for $27,650 right after they came out (and I had to order it). I would think (and other's have) gotten them cheaper now.

I think the Navi was worth every penny I paid for it. How often do I ask it to route me places, once a week at most. But all the other features make it worth while and when it does route you places it does a very good job. I use the voice control all the time, it is great with XM when you have channels 1 through 230ish (not sure what the last channel is. It is very easy to jump around "XM channel 124" and you are there. Can't find anything on XM, "CD play disc 6 track 10", its like magic! It saves a lot of button pushing and you keep your eyes where they belong, on the road. I always keep the Map on the second zoom level and you can see street signs on there well before you can read the signs on the road. I even use the calander with reminders and the calculator when my palm is not handy.

Spend the money, you won't regret it!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by jwb998
I got my 05 6spd Navi for $27,650 right after they came out (and I had to order it). I would think (and other's have) gotten them cheaper now.

I think the Navi was worth every penny I paid for it. How often do I ask it to route me places, once a week at most. But all the other features make it worth while and when it does route you places it does a very good job. I use the voice control all the time, it is great with XM when you have channels 1 through 230ish (not sure what the last channel is. It is very easy to jump around "XM channel 124" and you are there. Can't find anything on XM, "CD play disc 6 track 10", its like magic! It saves a lot of button pushing and you keep your eyes where they belong, on the road. I always keep the Map on the second zoom level and you can see street signs on there well before you can read the signs on the road. I even use the calander with reminders and the calculator when my palm is not handy.

Spend the money, you won't regret it!
How do you use the reminder on the calendar? is that an 05 only thing?

Quick Reply: Navi vs. Non Navi