Is the Navi disc update worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Navi disc update worth it?

I still have yet to purchase an Navi update disc for the 04 TSX. I looked and I have version 1.09.

I'm still hesitant to fork out $185 for the Navi update. Is it worth it? Are there any new features besides updated maps on the newer disc?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Faster, please.

I'm in the same boat - '04 with the original disc. I don't think there are any new features, but just updated points of interest and maps. I think it would be worth it at this point because I'm finding more and more that it's sending me to businesses that are no longer there.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2006 has TSX, the display is slightly different... I don't know if it's worth $185, do you have many situations where something is not found? Don't forget, new stores and resteraunts are all there on the new disc, how often do you use the search figures?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by daddydliv
I'm in the same boat - '04 with the original disc. I don't think there are any new features, but just updated points of interest and maps. I think it would be worth it at this point because I'm finding more and more that it's sending me to businesses that are no longer there.
exactly, i think it all comes down to how often you use that feature. if you're putting in addresses most of the time, then don't update, if you use POI, which i LOVE, then i bet it's worth it.

Can't do a group buy can ya!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Race Director

yeah i did bump into areas where tey are no longer there, moved, and even an Acura dealer I passed by when I was visiting a friend in Lisle, think its Continental Acura, they moved to Naperville and it still says its an Acura dealer in Lisle
Old 04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Advanced

I was in Boston yesterday and the streets are totally different around the "big dig" area. Not sure if the update would help though...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

It really depends on your $$ Situation.. Are you going to keep the car a long time?
I would not do ti. I would wait a year for the version to come out. Changes are very minimal at this point. Lastly, how much do you really use it?
I rarely use mine anymore...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfbradley
I was in Boston yesterday and the streets are totally different around the "big dig" area. Not sure if the update would help though...
If I lived in Boston, I would upgrade. The latest disc has upgrades in Middlesex county too.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i wonder what is does when reselling? i guess at that point, people don't really care...but how much would it suck to buy a car with a 3 or 4 year old map layout in the navi?

i say it depends on usage, if it were me, and my TSX was 3 years old, i'd update just for the POI, new routes, and such. But that's because i'm in jersey and i love the feature to find a resteraunt and a business. it's great. even when i'm travelling, if i want to add a waypoint to grab some food, it's wonderful.

it would suck to get to the waypoint, and have nothing be there (Which even happens in the 2006 tsx, though only once or twice so far.)
Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Just for clarification, does a new disc come out 1 time a year or 2 times? If it's 1 time, when is it available? Summertime? Or if twice, does it come it come out in spring and fall or what not?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EastBayTSX
Just for clarification, does a new disc come out 1 time a year or 2 times? If it's 1 time, when is it available? Summertime? Or if twice, does it come it come out in spring and fall or what not?
New discs come out around October I believe of each year.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I still have yet to purchase an Navi update disc for the 04 TSX. I looked and I have version 1.09.

I'm still hesitant to fork out $185 for the Navi update. Is it worth it? Are there any new features besides updated maps on the newer disc?
In my '04 the update has caused my Navi to run slower. Some POIs are updated and the fonts used have slightly changed from the '04 edition - no major biggie changes. I just upgraded with the '05 disc - I had bought my car in '03 and had that edition previously.

It seems my Navi is slower to lock onto streets now than the '03 edition even on clear days with no trees or buildings around to block the GPS signal.

Just minor annoyances. At least it no longer says the streets around my home are in an "unverified" area and it has reflected that several new freeways opened up in the area.

Half dozen of one, half dozen of another.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Did anybody in Canada upgrade their disc?

I won't do mine this year, maybe the next - but I can't tell the difference (by looking at the listings) what's really changed in Canada. There are soo many street (like mine) that are unverified.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Instructor

yeah i did bump into areas where tey are no longer there, moved, and even an Acura dealer I passed by when I was visiting a friend in Lisle, think its Continental Acura, they moved to Naperville and it still says its an Acura dealer in Lisle
this EXACT thing happened to me...same dealership
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Persuit of twin turbo

Anyone know how much it costs to swap from an '04 or an '05 navi SYSTEM to the 2006 system with the upgraded white disc?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stevestr
In my '04 the update has caused my Navi to run slower. Some POIs are updated and the fonts used have slightly changed from the '04 edition - no major biggie changes. I just upgraded with the '05 disc - I had bought my car in '03 and had that edition previously.

It seems my Navi is slower to lock onto streets now than the '03 edition even on clear days with no trees or buildings around to block the GPS signal.

Just minor annoyances. At least it no longer says the streets around my home are in an "unverified" area and it has reflected that several new freeways opened up in the area.

Half dozen of one, half dozen of another.
The slowdown makes me not want to upgrade then, that's crazy you know? You spend almost $200 and expect to not only have updated POIs, but be at least the same speed.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Still Lovin my 06

The slowdown makes me not want to upgrade then, that's crazy you know? You spend almost $200 and expect to not only have updated POIs, but be at least the same speed.
you don't upgrade the processing power of the machine, you just increase the amount of data it's sorting through. obviously, they didn't do anything to the programming on the disc to make it more efficient.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by bradykp
you don't upgrade the processing power of the machine, you just increase the amount of data it's sorting through. obviously, they didn't do anything to the programming on the disc to make it more efficient.
I guess a 2 thumbs down then to Acura for doing that.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I guess a 2 thumbs down then to Acura for doing that.
i don't know how tech oriented you are, but you can't upgrade processing power unless you upgrade the navi unit itself. the disc doesn't have anything to do with processing.

i'm not good at explaining the details, but i understand it.

basically, on your home PC, as you add more data to your hard drive, it will take longer to find data, since the overall "pile" is larger. it's not even a noticeable amount though.

not sure why the new disc would appear slower. the 2006 navi is pretty quick, it's as fast as mapquest when i do a search online for directions, so i'm happy.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Advanced

I upgraded my '04 last year. Changes I experienced:
* Goes to map rather than menu after startup
* More legible fonts and graphics on maps
* Suggested routes into "unverified areas" using roads vs. "as the crow flies straight line suggestions.
* Warning screens and messages when routes head into "unverified..."
* Audio screens -- CD and Radio have different graphics (more 3-D looking buttons)
* No noticable difference in speed of searches
* More addresses

Caveat: There is a 1 to 2 year lag in the data and purchasing date (ie 2005 had 2003 data) continue. Having lived in a city where they have added new roads, switched traffic directions and moved on ramps it is wild to take a freeway flyover and have the Navi think you are on the old service road an suggesting a left turn.

Moan: "You are entering unverified areas...(don't be stupid and don't blame us if you are)" is so annoying expecially when you live in a smaller city where the main roads are varified and the side roads aren't. (I just move to a new city and the navi is invaluable finding stuff). I'd love to see future navi systems "learn" so they warn you once and stop after that.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by redpaul
I upgraded my '04 last year. Changes I experienced:
* Goes to map rather than menu after startup
* More legible fonts and graphics on maps
* Suggested routes into "unverified areas" using roads vs. "as the crow flies straight line suggestions.
* Warning screens and messages when routes head into "unverified..."
* Audio screens -- CD and Radio have different graphics (more 3-D looking buttons)
* No noticable difference in speed of searches
* More addresses

Caveat: There is a 1 to 2 year lag in the data and purchasing date (ie 2005 had 2003 data) continue. Having lived in a city where they have added new roads, switched traffic directions and moved on ramps it is wild to take a freeway flyover and have the Navi think you are on the old service road an suggesting a left turn.

Moan: "You are entering unverified areas...(don't be stupid and don't blame us if you are)" is so annoying expecially when you live in a smaller city where the main roads are varified and the side roads aren't. (I just move to a new city and the navi is invaluable finding stuff). I'd love to see future navi systems "learn" so they warn you once and stop after that.

I got my DVD upgraded as a deal when I purchase my 04 TSX last summer as a CPO. Not much changes sine the date of the database itself is late 2004. I believe Acura have a quarterly update of a disk since I got a "c" version at the end of summer. They have a major update every year in Oct and then a quarter update. I am going to upgrade my DVD this Oct and hope they update more POI.

and the unverified area prompt is annoying ......