Nav Voice Volume Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:03 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nav Voice Volume Question

We took delivery of an 06 NHB 6MT with Nav Monday evening. We love it so far.

We've noticed, though, that if you have the stereo volume moderately loud, the navigation voice notifications are not loud enough to understand over the music, even at max volume. It sounds like the head unit mutes the front speakers, but not the back door speakers or the woofers. In fact, when we took delivery, the nav audio was too low to hear at all at highway speed. We almost took it in for service because the front speakers were cutting out, but I figured out it was the nav system trying to talk.

Is there a way to either tweak the nav volume max setting, or to have it mute all the speakers instead of just the front?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bacampbe
We took delivery of an 06 NHB 6MT with Nav Monday evening. We love it so far.

We've noticed, though, that if you have the stereo volume moderately loud, the navigation voice notifications are not loud enough to understand over the music, even at max volume. It sounds like the head unit mutes the front speakers, but not the back door speakers or the woofers. In fact, when we took delivery, the nav audio was too low to hear at all at highway speed. We almost took it in for service because the front speakers were cutting out, but I figured out it was the nav system trying to talk.

Is there a way to either tweak the nav volume max setting, or to have it mute all the speakers instead of just the front?

There is no way to "fix" this, that I'm aware of. When my music cuts out, I simply look @ the screen to see what I'm supposed to do next. Not an issue for me, in other words.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

I assume you have already turned up the nav voice volume at the setup screen? The voice seems loud enough to me when it's near the maximum setting, but I also tweaked my balance and equalizer settings to significantly reduce the bass thumping out of the rear speakers (at least until I get some that don't sound like crap).
Old 05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by defjukie
There is no way to "fix" this, that I'm aware of. When my music cuts out, I simply look @ the screen to see what I'm supposed to do next. Not an issue for me, in other words.
I agree it's not a major problem. It's still about the best OEM nav system I have seen.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jpt
I assume you have already turned up the nav voice volume at the setup screen? The voice seems loud enough to me when it's near the maximum setting, but I also tweaked my balance and equalizer settings to significantly reduce the bass thumping out of the rear speakers (at least until I get some that don't sound like crap).
Yes--Nav voice volume is at max.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Oh, are you still running on stock tires, too? If so sell or ditch them and get some good quieter tires. Even ultra-high-performance all-season tires like the Avon Tyres Tech M550 A/S that I have on are significantly quieter (though still pretty loud over concrete) than the crappy stock Michelins. Doing this will reduce road noise, making the nav easier to understand, and allow you to lower your stereo volume, which will help even more.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jpt
Oh, are you still running on stock tires, too? If so sell or ditch them and get some good quieter tires. Even ultra-high-performance all-season tires like the Avon Tyres Tech M550 A/S that I have on are significantly quieter (though still pretty loud over concrete) than the crappy stock Michelins. Doing this will reduce road noise, making the nav easier to understand, and allow you to lower your stereo volume, which will help even more.
That's high on my list. I guess as soon as the car is broken in, I will need to make a project out of wearing out the stock tires :-). But, my wife will set the stereo volume to ear-bleeding levels when the car is sitting in the drive way, so I don't know how much it will help.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Billy M

somewhere in the developers menu (menu, guide, cancel all together) there is a way to raise the volume further for each of the volume settings on the navi, so you could change the max volume to be much higher, if i remember correctly, you there are 250 levels and the highest is only at 180 or so, so if you bring that up to the max, you will experience it louder, when i get in my car tonight or tomorrow, i will check exactly how to do it and post back tomorrow
Old 05-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Spy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Billy M
somewhere in the developers menu (menu, guide, cancel all together) there is a way to raise the volume further for each of the volume settings on the navi, so you could change the max volume to be much higher, if i remember correctly, you there are 250 levels and the highest is only at 180 or so, so if you bring that up to the max, you will experience it louder, when i get in my car tonight or tomorrow, i will check exactly how to do it and post back tomorrow
I just tried this myself, but I didn't see where to turn up the volume. Is yours an 06?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Spy
I just tried this myself, but I didn't see where to turn up the volume. Is yours an 06?
i just tried it too...i didn't see anything on there about the volume...
Old 05-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Billy M

yea mines an 06, i'll explain in the morning when i can do the exact steps in my car
Old 05-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Billy M

ok fellas,

here's how its done:

1. press map/guide, menu and cancel all together for a few seconds
diagnosis items will come up
2. press and hold menu again
the developer menu comes up
3. select volume setting
a list of numbers comes up, the highest for me is 230, it goes up to 255 and is significantly louder than 230 (which i think is default, or a little higher than default)
4. set the volume as loud as you see fit, number 11 is the highest setting in the setup menu, and number 1 is the lowest, with everything in between, i recommend makinf number 11 the highest then you can always turn it down when you are in a quieter environment, or have the music off
5. use the up and down buttons to choose the volume and the up and down arrows to choose the setting
6. you can test it with the test button (duh haha) then when you are happy, press save
7. press return three times and you are back at the regular menu, with louder volume than ever!

i knew it was possible, you can always reset it to the factory defaults through the same menus if you ever desire, good luck
Old 05-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
thanks billy...i'll go out and try this in a bit....