My Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Acura Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dilemma

Hey everyone! My White TSX w/nav arrived a week early due to the fact that the dealer made a dealer-to-dealer trade. However, I found out that there's a scratch on the front right bumper and that they're gonna replace the entire bumper. This accident happened while the car was being "prepped" at the original dealer. The Sales Manager informed me that the process will take a couple of days and that she will knock off $150 since I'm planning to get the fog lights and the rear spoiler. Here's my dilemma, should I take the car and ask for at least $1K off the MSRP or wait for a virgin TSX? I waited 3 long grueling months to pay MSRP for the damn car and now this! What would you guys do?
Old 07-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd let them replace the bumper and try for a deal. At least it doesn't have miles on it hopefully. PWP is rare around my area, not sure about yours, but I'm sure you don't wanna wait another month or two either.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Acura Fan

Everything is rare around here! There's only two dealers here and I don't like one of them... bad experience when I got my MDX last Nov. My other option is to fly to SoCal and get one if I can get a good deal that will pay for the flight tixs. I heard the wait is only a couple of wks. My dilemma is that the car is not a virgin anymore. It's not all "original" parts. I don't think the dealer will give me more than $500 off MSRP either. I don't think it's worth it unless it's at least $1K off MSRP. The car was originally from Boise and they trucked it here to Salt Lake but I did not see the mileage count.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:41 PM
More On

Take your pick -- IMO you can't go too wrong either way.

BTW, being somewhat suspicious of gift horses (whatever they are), my guess would be that the "scratch" thing is why you're being offered this car early. It's possible that someone who was ahead of you turned it down. But this doesn't have to matter to you, one way or the other. Decide whatever you like regardless of how you think the deal came to you.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Banned

Your bumper is gonna get scratched regardless. I'd take it, provided I got a deal on it.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Instructor

I would try and find out what happened, as in carfax or trying to contact the Idaho DMV. Sometimes cars are shipped out of state trying to hide it's "little secrets."If it was me though, I probably would take the car since I can be so impatient.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:37 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Re: My Dilemma

Originally posted by jt5905
The Sales Manager informed me that the process will take a couple of days and that she will knock off $150 since I'm planning to get the fog lights and the rear spoiler.
I'd tell them to kiss my behind! $150 is nothing. Especially since you're paying MSRP. Wait and get a new one. Your paint will never be original...for a brand new car, it should!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: My Dilemma

My White TSX w/nav arrived a week early due to the fact that the dealer made a dealer-to-dealer trade. However, I found out that there's a scratch on the front right bumper and that they're gonna replace the entire bumper...
Dealers routinely fix little scratches on new cars here and there without anyone ever knowing about it. In transit, cars face any number of potential hazards.

Sometimes the newest model cars exterior panels and parts are available in original factory paint. As the years pass, more and more parts are available unfinished.

I would ask specific details about this replacement bumper.

- Where was it painted and by whom--and get that in writing!

- If the painting was done here (as opposed to the factory in Japan), insist on a lifetime warranty against pealing, tarnishing, piting, fading, etc. (Sometimes body shop paint looks nice when new, but fades differently than the rest of the car's original factory paint.) Of course, get this in writing.

If it's an original Japan-factory-painted bumper, I would go ahead and let them replace it--and have them document and warrant that. If it's a body shop paint job, it's a risk. If the tone is just off a bit, you're going to be reminded of that off color every time you wash or ~try~ to look at and admire the car.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:54 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything is rare around here! There's only two dealers here and I don't like one of them... bad experience when I got my MDX last Nov. My other option is to fly to SoCal and get one if I can get a good deal that will pay for the flight tixs. I heard the wait is only a couple of wks. My dilemma is that the car is not a virgin anymore. It's not all "original" parts. I don't think the dealer will give me more than $500 off MSRP either. I don't think it's worth it unless it's at least $1K off MSRP. The car was originally from Boise and they trucked it here to Salt Lake but I did not see the mileage count.
This is the part I hate about dealers. Tell the truth...DEALERS.

First they are not going to replace the bumper...all they are going to do is repaint it. A scratch is not covered under warranty which means the dealer will have to pay for the cost of the bumper. It will take more then two days for a bumper to get to the dealer even if they were telling the truth. Cost of replacement bumper plus labor is alot more then repainting a scratch. Im not saying this to get them in trouble. Just that the truth is always the better option at least it lets YOU know what you are up against.

But lets say it is a new bumper...the bumper will come unpainted from the factory which means it still needs to be painted. White pearl is the hardest color to match on a car. Will you ever notice the difference mostly not.

Second I have the car in stock and I can ship the car out to you...no charge. You can research me on the site. If you fly to SoCal it's a wasted trip because you are not allowed to drive the car off the lot. The only way you can drive the car home is to pay the California county sales tax which makes no sense. A one way trip permit applies only for DMV.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro

I would ask for the amount you consider reasonable to have off the MSRP of the car and get them to agree that you want to see how the new bumper looks before to commit to the car. I think that the white can be a hard colour to match.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:44 PM
OG

Originally posted by justinjsw
This is the part I hate about dealers. Tell the truth...DEALERS.

First they are not going to replace the bumper...all they are going to do is repaint it. A scratch is not covered under warranty which means the dealer will have to pay for the cost of the bumper. It will take more then two days for a bumper to get to the dealer even if they were telling the truth. Cost of replacement bumper plus labor is alot more then repainting a scratch. Im not saying this to get them in trouble. Just that the truth is always the better option at least it lets YOU know what you are up against.

Second I have the car in stock and I can ship the car out to you...no charge. You can research me on the site. If you fly to SoCal it's a wasted trip because you are not allowed to drive the car off the lot. The only way you can drive the car home is to pay the California county sales tax which makes no sense. A one way trip permit applies only for DMV.
Car#9192 Miles...11.6 Still in wrappers...and scratch free.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Wait a minute! Your TSX arrived a week early due to a dealer trade? That is, they got ANOTHER white TSX in a week early that they are offering you.

If you really want the original one you ordered, you should have only a week more to wait. If you decide that you want your original, then:

First, go the the dealer, look at and get the VIN of the scratched TSX.

Then, tell them, "thanks, but no thanks" I'll take my originally ordered TSX which is due in less than a week. Get the VIN on that one. They have it! If they don't have it on their books, then ask WHY since it was due in a week anyway, and you never agreed to swap it for a scratched one.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Acura Fan

Here's the entire story...I went to the dealer to buy touch up paint and to check the status of my order which they told me would be in sometimes in Aug. The Sales Person hesitated when I asked if they knew exactly what date it would arrive. Finally she said that it had actually arrived early because she was able to pull a dealer trade, a NAV for a nonNAV. However, she said it was tagged while it was being filled up at the pump in Boise (the original dealer). I asked if I can take a look and she hesitated but finally allowed me back into the back lot to check it out. The car was covered in bug shit since it was transported here. The scratch didn't seem severe enough for the bumper to be replaced, still, if I'm gonna pay that much, I wanna brand new car, especially if the difference is only $150. The good thing about this particular dealer is that they give their "clients" the protection package and life time oil change for free.

Since it's a dealer trade, I'm hoping my original order is still intact because I can't stand the wait any longer...damn Acura made me wait 3 months for last year and now another long grueling wait. F the bastards for making such desirable cars! I guess only suckers wait in line to pay MSRP.

Hey justinjsw, are you a Yankees fan and work for Cush Acura KM in San Diego? Can you explain how the interstate purchase works? I've always thought that if you buy from a certain state, you have to pay tax and title to that state and then have to pay registration again when you bring the car home. That's why I've been hesitant to get one from SoCal. If they canceled my order, your Car#9192 Miles...11.6 Still in wrappers...and scratch free, sounds delicious since I'll be in SoCal visiting relatives next week.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:05 AM
OG

Here's the entire story...I went to the dealer to buy touch up paint and to check the status of my order which they told me would be in sometimes in Aug. The Sales Person hesitated when I asked if they knew exactly what date it would arrive. Finally she said that it had actually arrived early because she was able to pull a dealer trade, a NAV for a nonNAV. However, she said it was tagged while it was being filled up at the pump in Boise (the original dealer). I asked if I can take a look and she hesitated but finally allowed me back into the back lot to check it out. The car was covered in bug shit since it was transported here. The scratch didn't seem severe enough for the bumper to be replaced, still, if I'm gonna pay that much, I wanna brand new car, especially if the difference is only $150. The good thing about this particular dealer is that they give their "clients" the protection package and life time oil change for free.

Since it's a dealer trade, I'm hoping my original order is still intact because I can't stand the wait any longer...damn Acura made me wait 3 months for last year and now another long grueling wait. F the bastards for making such desirable cars! I guess only suckers wait in line to pay MSRP.

Hey justinjsw, are you a Yankees fan and work for Cush Acura KM in San Diego? Can you explain how the interstate purchase works? I've always thought that if you buy from a certain state, you have to pay tax and title to that state and then have to pay registration again when you bring the car home. That's why I've been hesitant to get one from SoCal. If they canceled my order, your Car#9192 Miles...11.6 Still in wrappers...and scratch free, sounds delicious since I'll be in SoCal visiting relatives next week.
How did you know Im a diehard Yankee fan? I do not work for Cush KM. when you buy a car you are suppose to pay taxes to where you will reg your car at. Example if you live in LA and buy in SD you pay sales tax for LA county. Since you live in SLC you will pay tax when you reg the car in your county. Since no taxes or DMV fees are collected for California the client can not drive the car in California. Which means you will have to take delivery out of state...in most cases Arizona or Las Vegas, NV.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:24 AM
More On

How did you know Im a diehard Yankee fan?.....
You must be famous, J!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:27 PM
OG

Originally posted by larchmont
You must be famous, J!
Does that mean I can hijack it can turn this into a Yankee thread?
Old 07-21-2003, 01:16 PM
More On

Does that mean I can hijack it can turn this into a Yankee thread?
No -- but do you happen to know anything about the TL??
Old 07-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Acura Fan

Thanks for the info justinjsw. Not only that I know that you're a fanatic Yankees fan, I also know that you had a White Dodge Stealth nonturbo with a chip...if you're the Justin that I think you are. oh shit, I leaked too much info about J...he's gonna kill me...

By the way, is the TSX you're talking about a P. White auto w/NAV?

Yankees sucks..go Padre...oh wait, they're in last place, my bad. Free KOBE
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 AM
More On

....oh shit, I leaked too much info about J...he's gonna kill me.....
That's right, JT, that's the one downside of joining this board. Once you know too much (even if you don't leak it), we have to kill you.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:05 AM
OG

Thanks for the info justinjsw. Not only that I know that you're a fanatic Yankees fan, I also know that you had a White Dodge Stealth nonturbo with a chip...if you're the Justin that I think you are. oh shit, I leaked too much info about J...he's gonna kill me...

By the way, is the TSX you're talking about a P. White auto w/NAV?

Yankees sucks..go Padre...oh wait, they're in last place, my bad. Free KOBE
Let me put on my thinking cap...you know Im a die hard Yankee fan and you are a Padre fan which means you used to live in SD but now live in SLC...heck i don't personally know anybody that lives out that way...which leads me to one conclusion... Your sister knows me. She told me her brother moved out to SLC sometime ago. Going by your SN JT5905...I now know what JT stands for. And Larchmont is right I do have to kill you. Only because you trash my TEAM.

Yes the car Im talking about is a white AT/Navi.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:38 AM
More On

.....you used to live in SD but now live in SLC......JT5905...I now know what JT stands for. And Larchmont is right I do have to kill you. Only because you trash my TEAM.....
No, JT lucks out! I just got back from a week in SLC, and I liked it so much (to my pleasant surprise; I hope that's not an insult but I guess it is!) that I think we should give JT a break. As long as he stays mum from now on.

Especially about the Yankees!

P.S. I was surprised to see a number of SLC'ers walking around in Yankee hats. Finally I asked one of them why. He said he was a fan because they used to have a AAA team in Denver (which I knew but forgot).

Still seems pretty weird to me.....
Old 07-22-2003, 11:44 AM
OG

Originally posted by larchmont
No, JT lucks out! I just got back from a week in SLC, and I liked it so much (to my pleasant surprise; I hope that's not an insult but I guess it is!) that I think we should give JT a break. As long as he stays mum from now on.

Especially about the Yankees!

P.S. I was surprised to see a number of SLC'ers walking around in Yankee hats. Finally I asked one of them why. He said he was a fan because they used to have a AAA team in Denver (which I knew but forgot).

Still seems pretty weird to me.....
Everybody is a fan of the Yankees greatest franchise ever in pro sports history. Back to JT...John T. Hows your MDX?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not a Yankees fan, but then again my opinion never really matters in most cases. I'm not really a big die-hard fan for anyone in baseball. Though I am a supporter of Justin's team's arch-rival. The only team that I am that heavily behind (even if we can't seem to beat OU) is my alma mater's football team. I go to pretty much every game I can (unless it's the last Saturday of the month), and even attend practices on occaision. Sold a couple of Horns cars too. One of them even plays in the NFL now. ...talk about rambling on...
Old 07-22-2003, 11:59 AM
OG

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
I'm not a Yankees fan, but then again my opinion never really matters in most cases. I'm not really a big die-hard fan for anyone in baseball. Though I am a supporter of Justin's team's arch-rival. The only team that I am that heavily behind (even if we can't seem to beat OU) is my alma mater's football team. I go to pretty much every game I can (unless it's the last Saturday of the month), and even attend practices on occaision. Sold a couple of Horns cars too. One of them even play
s in the NFL now. ...talk about rambling on...
Provench will take this to off topic soon if we don't get back on topic.
Kurt you are a Red Sux fan?
I feel for you then.

Back on topic...heck forgot for the topic was
Old 07-22-2003, 01:47 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Provench will take this to off topic soon if we don't get back on topic.
Kurt you are a Red Sux fan?
I feel for you then.

Back on topic...heck forgot for the topic was
The Rex Sox will sweep the Yankees in the ALCS.

The TL will come with High Pressure Tires for feel-the-pebbles in the road handling.

There. We are now sort of less off-topic than we were a while ago.

[I am stuck in Red Sox country.]
Old 07-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

The new TL will actually have what will be called the High Performance Tire Package ( or HPTP). It will definately increase your road-feel, but heavily increase the car's grip and performance. Nothing like having that matched up to a 6-speed manual and an available VTM-4 too.....

Did I say available 4-wheel drive? You didn't see that. Now I'll have to kill you.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Acura Fan

And one time at band camp...

Justin, your analysis is correct...damn you're good...(except for that little TL VTM-4 incident). I thought you still worked for Cush. Which dealer are you with now?

My MDX is great except the fact that an old fart tagged the rear panel on 4th of July...I think he made a road trip to Santa Monica afterward.

Back to the topic...
My dealer still has'nt called regarding the TSX...I think those bastards take the pleasure of seing me suffer in my agonizing wait. Why God...Why?

Did someone said there will be Red Sex in the World Series? They should wait until the period is over.
FREE KOBE
Old 07-22-2003, 08:21 PM
OG

And one time at band camp...

Justin, your analysis is correct...damn you're good...(except for that little TL VTM-4 incident). I thought you still worked for Cush. Which dealer are you with now?

My MDX is great except the fact that an old fart tagged the rear panel on 4th of July...I think he made a road trip to Santa Monica afterward.

Back to the topic...
My dealer still has'nt called regarding the TSX...I think those bastards take the pleasure of seing me suffer in my agonizing wait. Why God...Why?

Did someone said there will be Red Sex in the World Series? They should wait until the period is over.
FREE KOBE
I am not perfect you know.

I left Cush a long time ago. I work for Hoehn in Carlsbad...better products.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:53 PM
OG

John I left you a message but in case you see this before you pick it up...your PWP Navi is leaving SD now and on it's way to SLC via transport. Should arrive sometime tomorrow afternoon. They have your contact numbers. GL.

PS...Yankees RULE!