My 06 is in port!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
taf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 06 is in port!

My car has been offloaded from the ship and I have been given an estimated arrival date of Dec 26. What is everyones experience with the estimated date. Does it usually show up a little before that? Dec 26th is two and a half weeks away, I wouldn't think it would take that long to get to Oklahoma.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by taf
My car has been offloaded from the ship and I have been given an estimated arrival date of Dec 26. What is everyones experience with the estimated date. Does it usually show up a little before that? Dec 26th is two and a half weeks away, I wouldn't think it would take that long to get to Oklahoma.
Nice Christmas present! Let us know how you like it.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll wave to it when I drive by.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, how are people getting this presice info? From the dealer?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 AM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by waTSX
Nice Christmas present! Let us know how you like it.
I believe me I will! I'll post pictures too.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:30 AM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by joerockt
Wow, how are people getting this presice info? From the dealer?

Yep, my dealer has been great. Back when I ordered in September he was honest and said not to expect it until late December. The begining of October he gave me an order reference number. About two weeks later he gave me the estimated production date of Dec 10th. I was a little bummed then, but then he emailed me at the end of October and said the production date was moved up to Nov 25th. At that time he said not to expect any more info until the car arrived in port and he would recieve an estimated arrival date at the dealer. Well that's what he called me with today. So I would think any dealer would have access to this information.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

taf,

Just curious. Did the dealer give you the VIN# of your vehicle?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
TSX4EVR

My second 06 TSX has been in port since Friday and latest info I have is that it is still there. 6 days no movement and I'm not sure how many days it was in port before I found out about it. (The port is 12 hours from where I live)

Very disappointing.

So to answer your question, there is no set time in how long your car can sit at the port.

I hope that you have better luck than me.

Excited
Old 12-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Still Lovin my 06

supposedly

mine is somewhere out at sea. not at factory, not at port. no VIN for me yet.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by taf
Yep, my dealer has been great. Back when I ordered in September he was honest and said not to expect it until late December. The begining of October he gave me an order reference number. About two weeks later he gave me the estimated production date of Dec 10th. I was a little bummed then, but then he emailed me at the end of October and said the production date was moved up to Nov 25th. At that time he said not to expect any more info until the car arrived in port and he would recieve an estimated arrival date at the dealer. Well that's what he called me with today. So I would think any dealer would have access to this information.
The dealers get the info from the shippers i think...when they get the VIN numbers...they usually are pretty acurate on delivery date.I think it still has to clear customs too...not sure...maybe that would be part of the delay
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlukja
taf,

Just curious. Did the dealer give you the VIN# of your vehicle?

Nope, he said he didn't have the VIN# yet.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Hate to break to you.
Dealer is most like just making wild guesses or flat lying to you.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by huckleberry
Hate to break to you.
Dealer is most like just making wild guesses or flat lying to you.

Why would he call me up out of the blue just to tell me a lie? I wasn't pressing him to give me an arrival date. He has been true to his word through this whole process so I have no reason to doubt him now.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by taf
Why would he call me up out of the blue just to tell me a lie? I wasn't pressing him to give me an arrival date. He has been true to his word through this whole process so I have no reason to doubt him now.
My car got in to port and IS in customs, and the only way my dealer knows is because he has the VIN. and BTW I still have no word of when customs is done and when it's going to get here.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Still Lovin my 06

if he knows it's in port then he must know the VIN

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
My car got in to port and IS in customs, and the only way my dealer knows is because he has the VIN. and BTW I still have no word of when customs is done and when it's going to get here.

if not, then i dont think he can honestly say. but that's speculation. Colin might know for sure
Old 12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradykp
if not, then i dont think he can honestly say. but that's speculation. Colin might know for sure

All he passed on to me was an estimated arrival date at the dealership. He told me a long time ago that when the car arrives in California that he would get that date. So I don't know, but I don't see a reason for him to lie to me. I certainly have not been pressuring him for a date of arrival. Colin what do you think?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by taf
All he passed on to me was an estimated arrival date at the dealership. He told me a long time ago that when the car arrives in California that he would get that date. So I don't know, but I don't see a reason for him to lie to me. I certainly have not been pressuring him for a date of arrival. Colin what do you think?
i guess it would be different then here in hawaii...once it comes into port..then it clears customs and its a close drive to the dealership from there..yours has to be trucked to OK from CA...i guess that would take more time too....just my guess...once it came in...they called me with the VIN# and it took about 6 days after that for me to take delivery of the car
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Still Lovin my 06

my dealer said...

Originally Posted by taf

i don't really trust any of them, but my dealer told me once it's in port, they get the VIN#. maybe that's because i'm in jersey and it's a close ride. he said once he gets the VIN, it's here within 3 days. that's all i know from my experience. maybe midwestern dealerships don't get the VIN til it hits a certain point in transit on the truck? who knows!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by excited
My second 06 TSX has been in port since Friday and latest info I have is that it is still there. 6 days no movement and I'm not sure how many days it was in port before I found out about it. (The port is 12 hours from where I live)

Very disappointing.

So to answer your question, there is no set time in how long your car can sit at the port.

I hope that you have better luck than me.

Excited
you bought 2?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Still Lovin my 06

they lost his first one

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
you bought 2?

something happened to his first, it disappeared.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
8th Gear

I ordered my 2006 Royal Blue/Parchment 6-spd Navi back in August ($1,000 over invoice), and my dealer has been immensely helpful and forthcoming with the information whenever he gets it. He even logged into Honda/Acura's dealer website with me there so he could show me how he gets his information.

When they enter an order into the system, they will eventually receive a confirmation back accepting the order, with a targeted production date (TPD). Mine was originally 11/25, but since got delayed to 11/29. The build process usually takes under a week, so hopefully it is built and is waiting to get loaded on to a boat for west coast transport (to either of the 3 ports: San Francisco, LA, or National City).

Once their system status is updated to "In Transit", the car is built and the VIN is displayed on the website. The car may or may not have left the factory yet, even though it gets updated to this status (they're preparing to load it on to the boat). The trip usually takes two to three weeks to get to port, where they perform inspections through a random sampling.

This is where it takes a turn. My dealer just received his first batch of 2006s only last week, even though the computer system showed them at the port for over 3 weeks. They surmised that since it was the first batch of 2006 models (with more than a few changes), Acura decided to inspect every single car rather than their usual random sampling.

They think that's why the cars seemed to be stuck at port (after the first couple of shipments, they'll gradually go back to the random sampling). Once the cars get loaded on to transports for the dealers it usually just takes a few days, give or take some time depending on how far your dealer is.

Right now my car has not yet been updated to "In Transit", even though it should be any day now. We're guessing I'll be able to take delivery sometime between 12/26-1/10. Too long!

Hope this helps!

P.S. At first I was a bit disappointed my car would be built so late, even though I ordered back in August. I was hoping to get one of my dealer's first allocations. But they told me (and I don't know if this is true or not) that the first and second allocations for the new year they just get what they get and have no choice (Acura usually likes to produce the most popular combos first). So I was stuck with the third allocation. Oh well. Apparently, my combo is a rare one, being a 6-spd/Navi with the new RBP color. So rare that he did a search for my car and I have the only one coming in the state for the next couple months. Another dealer from out of state called my dealer to see if they could get it and my dealer said "Hell no!"
Old 12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

^^ good info.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by gforce
P.S. At first I was a bit disappointed my car would be built so late, even though I ordered back in August. I was hoping to get one of my dealer's first allocations. But they told me (and I don't know if this is true or not) that the first and second allocations for the new year they just get what they get and have no choice (Acura usually likes to produce the most popular combos first).

True, we get a list of colors/trannys to order from, we can request another, but if they're not manufacturing that color, it will wait till the next build.

FYI, We just recieved 32 TSXs! It's our November and December cars all in one shippment!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Colin
FYI, We just recieved 32 TSXs! It's our November and December cars all in one shippment!
Can your market support that kind of inventory? Seems like a lot.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Still Lovin my 06

is it true?

True, we get a list of colors/trannys to order from, we can request another, but if they're not manufacturing that color, it will wait till the next build.

Colin,

Is it true that cars are shipped without being allocated to a dealer, and a dealer can put a claim on it while it's in transit?

One dealer i spoke to claims they can order me a RBP and have it within a week, but that just seems odd. i think they are promising something they can't come through on.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jlukja
Can your market support that kind of inventory? Seems like a lot.

Oh gosh absolutely! We were the #1 dealer nationwide for Integra Sedans back in the day, and we've been out of TSXs for 5-6 weeks now. We definately sold our last '05 too quickly since it does us no good to be out of cars for this long. We probably won't see too many more cars till mid-late january. I'm guessing these will all be gone by then.

Brady,

As far as I know, the cars are assingned before they ship, even before they're made. There is an "in transit trade" function that the dealer may be thinking of using.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Still Lovin my 06

thanks

Oh gosh absolutely! We were the #1 dealer nationwide for Integra Sedans back in the day, and we've been out of TSXs for 5-6 weeks now. We definately sold our last '05 too quickly since it does us no good to be out of cars for this long. We probably won't see too many more cars till mid-late january. I'm guessing these will all be gone by then.

Brady,

As far as I know, the cars are assingned before they ship, even before they're made. There is an "in transit trade" function that the dealer may be thinking of using.

Colin, thanks, you've been very helpful in my 1st acura experience. i wish i was giving you my business! still no car, but as time passes, it must be getting closer!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
TSX4EVR

Colin, thanks, you've been very helpful in my 1st acura experience. i wish i was giving you my business! still no car, but as time passes, it must be getting closer!
I wish I was giving my business to Colin as well. That would mean that I was living in Hawaii!!!

Excited
Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i wonder

Originally Posted by excited
I wish I was giving my business to Colin as well. That would mean that I was living in Hawaii!!!

Excited

can i compliment Colin on the customer satisfaction survey when they contact me, but not my dealer?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro

ditto that.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Pro

Well wow... I just got a call from my dealer who called me at home from his. He assured me that my ride should be here really soon. Tomorrow, weekend, monday, who knows. He's also tossing in some goodies and freebies for me for waiting as long as I have. Shit, forgot to ask if this is the first '06 he's sold. Oh well...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
8th Gear

Colin's inventory figures were off by one..,I just took one off his hands --and it was a great experience working with him!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

And here she is, all prettied up! Thanks everybody for the kind words! Obviously, it's been busy for me with all our new arrivals, I just finished an RSX-S delivery!

Old 12-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Pro

Brady,

ok, heres something i dont understand, and i've stated this before....it sucks having only 1 dealer in hawaii because we basically have to pay what they want, and you once stated that if "ACURA thought it was worth it have more then 1 dealer in hawaii they would open another here, Well, if its true that you folks were #1 in sales of integras, why wouldnt they have opened another dealership here??????????
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hawaiiantsx
ok, heres something i dont understand, and i've stated this before....it sucks having only 1 dealer in hawaii because we basically have to pay what they want, and you once stated that if "ACURA thought it was worth it have more then 1 dealer in hawaii they would open another here, Well, if its true that you folks were #1 in sales of integras, why wouldnt they have opened another dealership here??????????
Frankly, your logic is terribly flawed on one important point. The factory wants to sell cars (we're their customer). When we were selling the heck out of Integras, they didn't open up another store BECAUSE we were selling them well. If the cars were selling well across the nation AND we were sellling POORLY, then they would open up a new store to fix the problem.

I do know that Tony Masamitsu has been trying to get an Acura store for years. He's related to the Honda family, has (or had) an Acura store in California, but AHM still doesn't think Honolulu needs another store.

I mentioned this before, and I don't think you replied, but how do you explain that there is only one each for Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, Saab, Volvo? Do you feel that ALL these manufacturers need more stores for their lines too?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro

frankly, no i dont....but, if the acuras sell so well, why wouldnt they want to try and sell more.i dont think you can compare acura to mercedes or bmw.....i really dont think its that comparable.so in other words.....what you're saying is....cities that have more then 1 acura dealership is because the first one they opened had problems and thats the reason they had to open another dealership, according to YOUR theory
Old 12-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Still Lovin my 06

no

Originally Posted by hawaiiantsx
frankly, no i dont....but, if the acuras sell so well, why wouldnt they want to try and sell more.i dont think you can compare acura to mercedes or bmw.....i really dont think its that comparable.so in other words.....what you're saying is....cities that have more then 1 acura dealership is because the first one they opened had problems and thats the reason they had to open another dealership, according to YOUR theory

i think what he's saying is, there is no reason to have two acura dealerships competing for customers when one appears to be satisfying their needs just fine.

from the consumer point, you'd like to see two competing business to help drive prices down. but if the one dealership can handle the volume, there's no reason to add another. if one dealership wasn't able to handle the volume, they should, in theory, add more.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Look, you make it sound like the choice to open another store or not open one is ours. It is not. I suppose that if AHM felt they could double their sales, they'd open up another store. There are people much smarter than you or I that look at the population base, and decide how much market penetration they need.

If one store is under performing (not to be confused with problems) AND Acura sees that they're losing market share, I'm sure they would do something. However, it is more likely they'd move the whole franchise to Tony or Cutter or whoever and still keep only one store in this market.

Ok, if we're not quite Mercedes or BMW (in your eyes) what about Infiniti, Lexus, Volvo? What about ALL the other luxury brands that only have one outlet? Are ALL their marketing people wrong to only have one store?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

i think what he's saying is, there is no reason to have two acura dealerships competing for customers when one appears to be satisfying their needs just fine.

from the consumer point, you'd like to see two competing business to help drive prices down. but if the one dealership can handle the volume, there's no reason to add another. if one dealership wasn't able to handle the volume, they should, in theory, add more.

I am very familiar with this practice. I live in Austin, where we had another dealer built in town to aid the market and brand image because of a decline in this due to the only dealer in town at the time. I was assured that AHMC does not encourage building more dealers purely to make the market competitive for the gain of customers. The main purpose of new stores is for additional brand awareness and a strong image. I am also certain of this because Acura requested my assistance to aid this new dealer in establishing their staff and function of operations.

To state this again for clarity, the company doesn't build new dealers if they don't need to to sell more cars to customers. The dealers are the company's customers, not the people buying the cars. Though about 6 weeks ago, I left the business, before leaving, I put in nearly 6 years of service to Honda and Acura. If it is a position at dealer-level, I've pretty much done it effectively and productively.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Pro

Look, you make it sound like the choice to open another store or not open one is ours. It is not. I suppose that if AHM felt they could double their sales, they'd open up another store. There are people much smarter than you or I that look at the population base, and decide how much market penetration they need.

If one store is under performing (not to be confused with problems) AND Acura sees that they're losing market share, I'm sure they would do something. However, it is more likely they'd move the whole franchise to Tony or Cutter or whoever and still keep only one store in this market.

Ok, if we're not quite Mercedes or BMW (in your eyes) what about Infiniti, Lexus, Volvo? What about ALL the other luxury brands that only have one outlet? Are ALL their marketing people wrong to only have one store?
why you getting all upset?i never said that it was YOUR choice whether to open another dealership in hawaii...dont put words in my mouth.lol...and i still dont believe acura is quite the same comparison to mercedes or bmw.gosh...feel like i talkin to one car salesman and he trying to change my words all around.lol...jp..no need get all mad...i was just saying it doesnt make sense to ME and forgive me if i'm that stupid, that if you guys were the #1 dealer in america selling integras which you stated, that there must be a market for acuras in hawaii.Like i said, my stupidity for not understanding....and if you want to compare, then why is it that there is a mercedes, and lexus dealer on the outer island and no acura ones?

Quick Reply: My 06 is in port!