MPH from OEM Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM
2007 5AT Premium White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MPH from OEM Computer?

Does anyone know if it is possible to downoad speed/mph data from the factory computer? I gotta nasty speeding ticket and it would really help me if I could get the actual speed/mph info from the computer for a given time period. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thankz
Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Read the manual?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Gotta consider if the car speedometer is calibrated correctly. Honda had a class action suit for odometer problems resulting in warranty extension, but unsure if it affects 06+.

If you're running aftermarket wheels/tires, that can change the speed too.

A way to check your speed at a given time is if you had a scan tool hooked up to the OBDII during the time you got caught. Another way is if you had a GPS device that also records speed. These are just off hand what I can think of, but there's probably others.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM
2007 5AT Premium White

Originally Posted by PACman
Gotta consider if the car speedometer is calibrated correctly. Honda had a class action suit for odometer problems resulting in warranty extension, but unsure if it affects 06+.

If you're running aftermarket wheels/tires, that can change the speed too.

A way to check your speed at a given time is if you had a scan tool hooked up to the OBDII during the time you got caught. Another way is if you had a GPS device that also records speed. These are just off hand what I can think of, but there's probably others.
hey thanks for the quick reply PACman... but I'm trying to prove my speed from last Saturday night at a very late hour
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 8UANEW1
Does anyone know if it is possible to downoad speed/mph data from the factory computer? I gotta nasty speeding ticket and it would really help me if I could get the actual speed/mph info from the computer for a given time period. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thankz
Don't know about that, but there should be several things you could do.

What state did you get the ticket in?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
B A N N E D

if you got a ticket, chances are u were speeding. just man up, pay it, and get on with life.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM
2007 5AT Premium White

Originally Posted by Nogard13
Don't know about that, but there should be several things you could do.

What state did you get the ticket in?

Virginia
Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
2007 5AT Premium White

Originally Posted by 925tsx
if you got a ticket, chances are u were speeding. just man up, pay it, and get on with life.

the speeding ticket isn't really my concern... it what happened as a result of being pulled over. If I can prove I wasn't speeding, the rest of the story goes away.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Virginia
Oh man, are you a Virginia resident? If so, that sucks.... (I heard about their ridiculous speeding fines).
Old 10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

the speeding ticket isn't really my concern... it what happened as a result of being pulled over. If I can prove I wasn't speeding, the rest of the story goes away.
Oh. Nevermind, then.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, va sucks with thier new fines. I got pulled for doing 5 over the limit. 50 in a 45. instead of giving me a speeding ticket he gave me a failure to obey a highway sign, only cost me 90 and i'd rather take that then a speeding.

A coworker got busted for speeding and total after the fines was almost a grand with the new laws. He fought it by joining a bunch of other people who are saying that it's biased because non va residents don't get hit with the new laws and they ended up dropping the fines and the amt. he had to pay.

Where in va did you get stopped at? how much over were you? borrow somebody's aftermarket wheels and go get your speedo checked. if the diff. is within the range you got caught at, you can bring the receipt and show that you put the stock wheels and tires "back on" to fix the problem.
Also, just because i'm nosey, you said that "the speeding ticket isn't really my concern... it what happened as a result of being pulled over. If I can prove I wasn't speeding, the rest of the story goes away."

What happened after you got pulled over?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Read the manual?
And that will tell us ... what?

Originally Posted by PACman
Another way is if you had a GPS device that also records speed. These are just off hand what I can think of, but there's probably others.
The GPS method is cool, did it with my Jeep 8 years ago, determined that with bigger tires, at 35mph, my speedo was 1-2 mph under. (Have a friend handle the GPS while you do this, though. And ensure you have a rock solid satellite lock-on.)

Another old fashioned way is to drive at "60" on the speedo between mile markers, and time it. Should be 60 seconds on the button. Watches with tachymetre scales are used like this too.

If your issue is something that happened after the traffic stop (search and seizure? find your lid? we don't really want to know...), get a lawyer, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Even for speeding tix, I've recently learned, just call a lawyer, ask what their fee is, if the fee covers continuances, and make out the check. It's a bit corrupt, but it's the system.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by davidspalding
And that will tell us ... what?
Oh I don't know, maybe the answer to this person's question?

You never know what you can find in the manual. :wink:
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by lvcurvs
yeah, va sucks with thier new fines. I got pulled for doing 5 over the limit. 50 in a 45. instead of giving me a speeding ticket he gave me a failure to obey a highway sign, only cost me 90 and i'd rather take that then a speeding.

A coworker got busted for speeding and total after the fines was almost a grand with the new laws. He fought it by joining a bunch of other people who are saying that it's biased because non va residents don't get hit with the new laws and they ended up dropping the fines and the amt. he had to pay.

Where in va did you get stopped at? how much over were you? borrow somebody's aftermarket wheels and go get your speedo checked. if the diff. is within the range you got caught at, you can bring the receipt and show that you put the stock wheels and tires "back on" to fix the problem.
Also, just because i'm nosey, you said that "the speeding ticket isn't really my concern... it what happened as a result of being pulled over. If I can prove I wasn't speeding, the rest of the story goes away."

What happened after you got pulled over?
If you are saying that aftermarket wheels made his speedometer read incorrectly and that was why he was speeding and therefore it wasn't his fault?

If so, I think they will combat that with the "ignorance is not an excuse". That would be about the same as getting pulled over doing 65mph in a 55mph zone and defending yourself by saying, "I thought the speed limit was 65".

I am also quite curious as to what happened next.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by davidspalding
If your issue is something that happened after the traffic stop (search and seizure? find your lid? we don't really want to know...), get a lawyer, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Even for speeding tix, I've recently learned, just call a lawyer, ask what their fee is, if the fee covers continuances, and make out the check. It's a bit corrupt, but it's the system.
That's friggin priceless, found your lid? What is this 1968, the city of Los Angeles, is your name Friday? Do you carry a badge?

Does any body besides me know what a lid is, or am I the only one who loves slang terms that have been dropped from our vernacular?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
That's friggin priceless, found your lid? What is this 1968, the city of Los Angeles, is your name Friday? Do you carry a badge?

Does any body besides me know what a lid is, or am I the only one who loves slang terms that have been dropped from our vernacular?
I guess so. What does it mean?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by black label
If you are saying that aftermarket wheels made his speedometer read incorrectly and that was why he was speeding and therefore it wasn't his fault?

If so, I think they will combat that with the "ignorance is not an excuse". That would be about the same as getting pulled over doing 65mph in a 55mph zone and defending yourself by saying, "I thought the speed limit was 65".

I am also quite curious as to what happened next.
Basically, yes. I've done it before, but way back when the import thing first started so the cops really didn't have a good clue on this stuff yet.

But if it's only a couple over and within the range then he can say that according to his speedo he was doing x mph so honestly he thought he was going x mph when he got busted. If he admits that as well as proves to the judge he made an honest effort to fix the problem, and fixed the problem rather then come up with excuses then the judge may take it easy on him with a slap on the wrist and a smaller monetary penalty. I've had better luck with cops by admitting I fu*ked up and fixed the problem to thier liking and they usually let me off or lessened the penalty.
Just a thought but you are correct about the ignorance is no excuse.

what's a lid?

oh yeah, if you got busted in stafford, your fu*ked. They're no fun
Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
lid /lɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, lid·ded, lid·ding.
–noun 1. a removable or hinged cover for closing the opening, usually at the top, of a pot, jar, trunk, etc.; a movable cover.
2. an eyelid.
3. a restraint, ceiling, or curb, as on prices or news.
4. Slang. a hat, cap, or other head covering.
5. (in mosses) a. the cover of the capsule; operculum.
b. the upper section of a pyxidium.

6. Slang. one ounce of marijuana.

I think he was referring (not to be confused with reefering) to number 6.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

....drugs are bad mmm'k....
Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
2007 5AT Premium White

ok folks... here's the low down and it isn't pretty:

I got stopped leaving a wedding reception that had an open bar- nuff said. They claimed that I was speeding even though they had no radar and I was issued no ticket(s). If I can prove that I was not speeding, then there was no 'probable cause' to pull me over... then the rest of the nightmare will go away. So, I was wondering if these new onboard computers saved mph data with some sort of date/time stamp that could prove my speed at a given time.

you think the new Virginia fines for high for speeding? You should see the fines for what I'm potentially dealing with
Old 10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
still plays with cars

Thankz
googgle "automobile black box" and start reading. I think the info you're looking for isn't saved. Typical data is a 5 second FIFO memory that is snapshotted at the time of airbag deployment. What Honda/Acura records is ... well you need an expert. Other manufacturers timestamp over-rev info, ABS activation and other events which may indicate owner abuse so they can refuse to do warranty work. And get the best lawyer you can find. Go to the library and ask for the ??? register which lists lawyers and their specialities, and their peer rankings.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The PCM uses veh. speed as an input, but only saves the value if there's a failure that causes the check engine light to come on. So no, there's no way to retrieve a veh. speed value from a past point in time.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This won't help you now. Perhaps the next time.

http://www.obd2.com/index_aw.html
Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No, the car doesn't store that sort of information for you.

Do you have one of those cell phones with GPS? I remember seeing a (nextel?) site where it would list where people were spotted at what time. Maybe you can use that to calculate your average speed between two points?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Racer

where did you get pulled over at? bummer, dui fines are make speeding tickets look like chump change. especially with the new stuff in place.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok folks... here's the low down and it isn't pretty:

I got stopped leaving a wedding reception that had an open bar- nuff said. They claimed that I was speeding even though they had no radar and I was issued no ticket(s). If I can prove that I was not speeding, then there was no 'probable cause' to pull me over... then the rest of the nightmare will go away. So, I was wondering if these new onboard computers saved mph data with some sort of date/time stamp that could prove my speed at a given time.

you think the new Virginia fines for high for speeding? You should see the fines for what I'm potentially dealing with
My suggestion is get a lawyer. If the cop didn't issue a citation for an observed infraction then, chances are, he didn't observe the infraction. You need a lawyer to put pressure on the cop and to "weasel" his way through the law system down here. I'm sure he could get you off on a lesser charge, if not just get the whole thing dropped (especially if it's your first offense).
Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess I'm showing my age....

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Oh I don't know, maybe the answer to this person's question?

You never know what you can find in the manual. :wink:
Maybe in yours, but the 2007 manual no such information. Maybe you'd care to quote what page the OP's answer lies on?

RTFM is only a brilliant retort when you know the answer is in there. Otherwise, it's just .

Originally Posted by blacklabel
Not since Dan Ackroyd picked up the beat. But my smart-ass remark was based on stories my old pals still in law enforcement have told me. Surely your "tongue-in-cheek detector" gave you a positive hit when you read that...?

"Here cum de judge, here cum de judge...."
I got stopped leaving a wedding reception that had an open bar- nuff said. They claimed that I was speeding even though they had no radar and I was issued no ticket(s). If I can prove that I was not speeding, then there was no 'probable cause' to pull me over... then the rest of the nightmare will go away....
That's a lovely idea, but having served on a jury for a DUI case (in California, so YMMV; IANAL) I would not bet your license on it. Much, much more than just "why we pulled him over" will come out, trust me on this. Get a lawyer to handle this. If it's your first such offense, a good lawyer will know how to get you every possible break. Good luck, and please learn something valuable from this. An illegal BAC can not only ruin your day, but someone's life as well.