Mountain Biking TSX- roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain Biking TSX- roof rack

To honor a request, here is a pic of a ASM TSX with Yakima roof rack.

I guess it is a love hate issue, as I understand that some members hate it, but I really don't love the looks with it, nor do I hate the looks with it. It just looks "different."

I didn't want to remove the rear air diffuser for the hitch mount either, or drill holes on the chassis, so it left me with this. But it is certainly better than wrecking the interior of the car with the bike.

I have 3M clear tape attached where the rack touches the paint, so it scratching the paint is not an issue. Removing/attaching it is a 3 minute job. The rack also has locks on it, so you can lock it to prevent theft. (But again, nothing is really theft proof.)

I just wish that Acura did what BMW did, and add concealable holes on the roof for the OEM roof rack. I saw one on the BMW 3 series the other day, and it looked clean.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Pro

can u take some more picture of the rack it self (closer shot)?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

coooL...!!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:44 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Daff... how difficult do you find it to put the actual bike on top of the rack? I'm just starting to get into mb'ing, and I've always wanted to get a bike adapter for the roof rack, but couldn't see myself getting a bike on top of the car without hitting something. I have a relatively heavier bike at the moment and sure, it doesn't help that I'm only 5'7"...but still...
Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Looks good!

im a avid skiier, so I have the thule Rack for mine
Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Daff... how difficult do you find it to put the actual bike on top of the rack? I'm just starting to get into mb'ing, and I've always wanted to get a bike adapter for the roof rack, but couldn't see myself getting a bike on top of the car without hitting something. I have a relatively heavier bike at the moment and sure, it doesn't help that I'm only 5'7"...but still...
I'm a short guy also, mountain bike is around 24lbs. One time the bike tipped over as I was mounting it, (not the tsx) and dented the roof.

I learned my lesson, and decided to use this. It folds up and fits nicely in the trunk, so I can keep it there 247.

It make life so much easier.

It's funny, since every time I use this at the parking lot, some guy comes up to me and says, "so that's how you get that thing up there."

I'd have to take an another pic later when the weather is nice out.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the pics! Got any more?

And Im soooo hearing you about the BMW thing. They are the ONLY car manufacturer who does that.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Is that the Honda Accord roof rack?

I am looking at the Saris bones trunk mount rack. It is supposed to be extremely easy to put on/tale off and do a good job protecting the bike and car.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor

It is a Yakima rack. I think honda racks are pointless, considering that Hondas don't have the custom mounting points like the BMW. Why pay more for the same thing?

Saris bones trunk rack is I think the best trunk mount rack out there, it has the suction cup like mounts, which prevents scratches somewhat.

But I wouldn't recommend it. A guy at a trailhead had one, and he pulled up, only to discover a huge gash in his bumper from the pedals smacking the rear bumper.

My recommendation? Don't cheap out. Go with a roof rack or a hitch rack.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daffunda
It is a Yakima rack. I think honda racks are pointless, considering that Hondas don't have the custom mounting points like the BMW. Why pay more for the same thing?

Saris bones trunk rack is I think the best trunk mount rack out there, it has the suction cup like mounts, which prevents scratches somewhat.

But I wouldn't recommend it. A guy at a trailhead had one, and he pulled up, only to discover a huge gash in his bumper from the pedals smacking the rear bumper.

My recommendation? Don't cheap out. Go with a roof rack or a hitch rack.
The rack is a Yakima - but don't you need to use a Honda/Acura roof rack to mount the Yakima onto?

Do you have a part # of the Yakima? Is that all you need?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

bones rs

Definitely don't use the Saris Bones 2 or 3. They are designed to rest on the bumper, ours is too weak to support the weight of a bike or two. and the TSX is not listed in the fit guide.

However, if you want to go with a trunk mount rack like i did, then pony up the extra cash and get a Saris Bones RS. It takes 30 seconds to install, only has 4 pads that rest on the corner of the trunk and it sticks to the car like glue. I put micro fiber towels b/t the pads and the car to prevent scratching and the clips are padded well enough to prevent any damage to the paint. I've used it for a few months now and love it. I set me back about $240 - but it's still cheaper than a new hitch or roof rack. Unfortunately, the rs is not an option if you have a spoiler.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cpone
Definitely don't use the Saris Bones 2 or 3. They are designed to rest on the bumper, ours is too weak to support the weight of a bike or two. and the TSX is not listed in the fit guide.

However, if you want to go with a trunk mount rack like i did, then pony up the extra cash and get a Saris Bones RS. It takes 30 seconds to install, only has 4 pads that rest on the corner of the trunk and it sticks to the car like glue. I put micro fiber towels b/t the pads and the car to prevent scratching and the clips are padded well enough to prevent any damage to the paint. I've used it for a few months now and love it. I set me back about $240 - but it's still cheaper than a new hitch or roof rack. Unfortunately, the rs is not an option if you have a spoiler.
I have a spoiler... Our bumper is too weak???
Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

You must not be installing the trunk racks correctly if they are resting or putting much if any weight on the bumper. Both Yakima and Saris have 6 straps. The top straps are load bearing straps. The other four are used to keep the bike rack in place on the trunk. top and side. the weight of the bikes keep the rack from pulling off of the car.

Any sort of rear mounted rack that touches the paint in any way shape or form is a no no. You paid some where around 30 grand on a car. You put premium fuel in the car, using a trunk mounted rack is like putting 87 octane in the car becuase its cheaper.

Trust me I sell this shit, i have a hitch mounted rack on the car. The reason why i didnt go roof rack is because when i ride, i ride hard. Im too tired to want to lift my bike and whoever elses onto the roof. If your bike isnt dirty (muddy or sandy) you probably arent having fun. The idea for having a tray mounted hitch rack was ideal. You ride the bike up on it, tie down two clips, and your done.

If i rode a road bike the idea for a roof rack would be better. Lighter bike, different sport almost.

All in all it comes down to what you want to do. Honestly i dont like the idea of having my bike on the roof. The roof rack didnt fit my crieteria.

A trunk mount shouldnt match any TSX owners crieteria unless your bought your bike a walmart or kmart. Especially when the straps yakima uses dont fit on out trunk. the gaps are too small
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by JWiner
The rack is a Yakima - but don't you need to use a Honda/Acura roof rack to mount the Yakima onto?

Do you have a part # of the Yakima? Is that all you need?
Are you only referring to the mounts that go on the crossbars to fit a bike, snow gear, etc? You also have to purchase Yakima Q Towers (which come with crossbars) to complete the "system."
Old 06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

X - got any pics of your hitch?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Are you only referring to the mounts that go on the crossbars to fit a bike, snow gear, etc? You also have to purchase Yakima Q Towers (which come with crossbars) to complete the "system."
I guess I want to know ALL that is needed to install a roof mounted bike/ski rack. I know you need to install the Yakima cross bars and the bike or ski adaptor/mount, but don't you also need to buy a Honda or Acura roof rack to mount the yakima rack onto?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Instructor

You need the "Q Towers", the "fit kit", the bars, and the bike trays, all from Yakima.

No need for anything from Honda.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
You must not be installing the trunk racks correctly if they are resting or putting much if any weight on the bumper. Both Yakima and Saris have 6 straps. The top straps are load bearing straps. The other four are used to keep the bike rack in place on the trunk. top and side. the weight of the bikes keep the rack from pulling off of the car.

Any sort of rear mounted rack that touches the paint in any way shape or form is a no no. You paid some where around 30 grand on a car. You put premium fuel in the car, using a trunk mounted rack is like putting 87 octane in the car becuase its cheaper.

Trust me I sell this shit, i have a hitch mounted rack on the car. The reason why i didnt go roof rack is because when i ride, i ride hard. Im too tired to want to lift my bike and whoever elses onto the roof. If your bike isnt dirty (muddy or sandy) you probably arent having fun. The idea for having a tray mounted hitch rack was ideal. You ride the bike up on it, tie down two clips, and your done.

If i rode a road bike the idea for a roof rack would be better. Lighter bike, different sport almost.

All in all it comes down to what you want to do. Honestly i dont like the idea of having my bike on the roof. The roof rack didnt fit my crieteria.

A trunk mount shouldnt match any TSX owners crieteria unless your bought your bike a walmart or kmart. Especially when the straps yakima uses dont fit on out trunk. the gaps are too small

I think you may be confusing the Bones RS with the Bones 2 or Bones 3. And yes, the Bones 2 and 3 rest on the bumper, check out the manual(http://www.saris.com/pdfManuals/299.pdf)

The RS has 2 straps that are secured by ratchets. Link: http://www.saris.com/p-301-bones-rs.aspx And as long as you clean the area where the pads go, and place a clean towel b/t them and the paint, it won't be a problem. I've been using it twice a week, every week for about two months. with no problems.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

I have a spoiler... Our bumper is too weak???
I don't see how the Bones RS would work with a spoiler and while the Bones 2 and 3 are designed to clear spoilers they are also designed to place much of the load on top of the bumper. Apparently our bumper is not designed to hold much weight from the top - some have tried to do it but their bumpers begin to sag.

Another thing to consider is that trunk and hitch racks w/o trays will probably scratch your bike frame. It's minor and since I mountain bike, and have taken my fair share of falls, my bike is already a bit scratched up so a few more doesn't really bother me. Also i ride a hardtail, and some duel suspension set-ups might not fit on a trunk mount.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think you may be confusing the Bones RS with the Bones 2 or Bones 3. And yes, the Bones 2 and 3 rest on the bumper, check out the manual(http://www.saris.com/pdfManuals/299.pdf)

The RS has 2 straps that are secured by ratchets. Link: http://www.saris.com/p-301-bones-rs.aspx And as long as you clean the area where the pads go, and place a clean towel b/t them and the paint, it won't be a problem. I've been using it twice a week, every week for about two months. with no problems.
They rest on the bumper, they dont put any force on the bumper. Unless your not using the straps properly. They make these racks so that you can open your trunk with it on. All of the racks have some sort of feature so you can tighten down the straps enough to keep them down.

Anything touching your paint is going to ruin it. And i dont know where you go mountain biking but down here its sandy and dusty.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

X - got any pics of your hitch?
here theres a few threads about it

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=19

Old 06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
They rest on the bumper, they dont put any force on the bumper. Unless your not using the straps properly. They make these racks so that you can open your trunk with it on. All of the racks have some sort of feature so you can tighten down the straps enough to keep them down.

Anything touching your paint is going to ruin it. And i dont know where you go mountain biking but down here its sandy and dusty.
The first part is simply not true. I've spoken with sale reps and owners of the Bones and the straps just stabilize the rack, the "bumper legs" support it. In the link i posted, there is a big warning on the top that states "Bones is a bumper-supported bike rack..." The definition of support. Check the first entry. You really sell this stuff?

"Anything touching your paint is going to ruin it" - Really? A micro fiber towel is going to ruin the paint? The feet don't even move once secure. How can they scratch the paint? You can literally shake the car by holding the rack it's rock solid. Also, hasn't happened yet so not worried about it.

"And i dont know where you go mountain biking but down here its sandy and dusty" - What does that have to do with anything? And who bikes in sand? I already said i clean the area before putting on the rack. Plus, I put on the rack at home in the city, not at the trailhead. I keep the rack on when i'm out riding b/c the RS has a locking feature and you'd have to destroy the rack to steal it (could happen though) So, dirt and sand don't get between the feet, or more accurately the towels, when there are already on the car.

Like i said, i've had zero problems. If I do notice some, i'll gladly post it to warn ppl but i don't expect i'll have to.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Instructor

To sum up all the questions,

Do you need to buy Honda rack to use the Yakima rack? - No. You will need 4 Q-Towers (universal on all vehicles), 4 Clips (Vehicle Specific), 4 lock cores (if you want to lock your towers), two crossbars and a rack. (Mine is a older King Cobra)

Will mounting rack on painted surfaces scratch the paint? - Yes and No. If you remove/attach the rack while the car is dusty/dirty, it will scratch the paint. I put 3M protect tape on the mounting area so scratching the paint problems is gone. Same goes for the trunk rack, given that it is rock solid when it is mounted. Some trunk racks move when mounted, scratching the trunk surface.

Hitch or Roof? - Depends. Xtremespeed did a summary, and it is pretty much accurate. I don't bike in extreme muddy/sandy places, (as it wears your bike down) so I don't mind putting it on the roof, and I do have energy left over to put it on the roof after a ride. I also not so braindead to a point where I will drive under a garage or a carport. So you decide, I just didn't want to drill the chassis and take out the air diffuser on the car, so I went with the roof. If you bike in extreme muddy places, get the hitch. You can't really go wrong with either, just my two cents.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Daffunda
To sum up all the questions,

Do you need to buy Honda rack to use the Yakima rack? - No. You will need 4 Q-Towers (universal on all vehicles), 4 Clips (Vehicle Specific), 4 lock cores (if you want to lock your towers), two crossbars and a rack. (Mine is a older King Cobra)

Will mounting rack on painted surfaces scratch the paint? - Yes and No. If you remove/attach the rack while the car is dusty/dirty, it will scratch the paint. I put 3M protect tape on the mounting area so scratching the paint problems is gone. Same goes for the trunk rack, given that it is rock solid when it is mounted. Some trunk racks move when mounted, scratching the trunk surface.

Hitch or Roof? - Depends. Xtremespeed did a summary, and it is pretty much accurate. I don't bike in extreme muddy/sandy places, (as it wears your bike down) so I don't mind putting it on the roof, and I do have energy left over to put it on the roof after a ride. I also not so braindead to a point where I will drive under a garage or a carport. So you decide, I just didn't want to drill the chassis and take out the air diffuser on the car, so I went with the roof. If you bike in extreme muddy places, get the hitch. You can't really go wrong with either, just my two cents.
i think you summed it up pretty well. There are some funny stories (well not funny to them) about people driving into car ports, or garages.

Anyway, just do your research and make a list of your needs. As long as your rack fits it you should be fine.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I guess I want to know ALL that is needed to install a roof mounted bike/ski rack. I know you need to install the Yakima cross bars and the bike or ski adaptor/mount, but don't you also need to buy a Honda or Acura roof rack to mount the yakima rack onto?
You don't need a Honda/Acura roof rack... that's what the Q towers and crossbars are for! The bike and ski mounts attach to the crossbars.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My AM bike is 35lbs and my DH bike is 43lbs... you think it will be able to hold both bikes at once?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced

You don't need a Honda/Acura roof rack... that's what the Q towers and crossbars are for! The bike and ski mounts attach to the crossbars.
GOT IT!!! Thanks!!