MODIFICATIONS and TRADE IN VALUE

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MODIFICATIONS and TRADE IN VALUE

Anyone can school me on how MODing your whip effects its trade in value?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
down, unless u make it a show car, then up for only a certain group of people.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Hm.....thats fuct up then.

I just wanna rim it, and lower it...thats all.

You mean even if I put like 15Gs of MODS into it....the value will still go down?!?!

Where is BAYSIDE NY? Upstate??
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

....bayside is in queens.

anyway, rims and lowering etc, will add value to the right audience. However, most people don't want to buy a used car that someone took apart, messed with parts, etc. However, there are people who will want that stuff. For example: You add rims, exhuast, shocks, tires, suspension etc If u can find a user taht wants a tsx that has these mods, then you'll get to sell for tsx value + the market value at that time of the mods. However, that isn't most people.

Most people looking for used cars want a car taht is fully stocked, and untouched. Un opened. Yes, if u end up putting 6 monitors in there, Navi, Rims, etc etc, you'll get some value, but your car will lose value too. If it does gain value, its only because of the price of the parts. Your car might sell for 1000 more, but that'll probably be because ur wheels u added costs 1500, and the market value is 1100 at the time, technically, you lose 100 off your car.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:54 PM
wj4
Advanced

if you trade in a car, they will give u minimal to no value for your mods. its best to go back to stock and part out the car.
and if you were to sell it privately, it all depends on audience. some who look to buy the car in a stock form may be turned off because they will think the car has been punished and abused since it is modified, while other who wants a modify car might be turn on by it.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Well sense a MODERATOR closed my HYPER BLUE rims thread......

Guess Ill ask the question again here......incase someone has the answer(since they cant reply in the other thread).

IS THERE A SUCH RIM COLOR AS HYPERBLUE? Ill see if I can find the image of the rims to post for you.

Thx for the replies by the way.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by TasteOfPower
Hm.....thats fuct up then.

I just wanna rim it, and lower it...thats all.

You mean even if I put like 15Gs of MODS into it....the value will still go down?!?!
its a car, not a house
Old 06-21-2006, 04:17 PM
wj4
Advanced

Well sense a MODERATOR closed my HYPER BLUE rims thread......

Guess Ill ask the question again here......incase someone has the answer(since they cant reply in the other thread).

IS THERE A SUCH RIM COLOR AS HYPERBLUE? Ill see if I can find the image of the rims to post for you.

Thx for the replies by the way.
im sure there is. look at the cars at a DUB show, they have custom color wheels to match their exterior paint job. you can probably have your wheels custom painted or powdercoated to your desired color. even volks is doing it, lol...magnesium!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The mods are for your enjoyment, not the next persons. Do not expect anyone to pay you for them. Even if they wanted them, you can bet they'll SAY they don't to avoid paying for them. consider modding the car your hobby, like flying R/C planes or something: enjoy it for what it is, but it's not a money maker.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Depending on the mods, it may or may not increase/decrease the car value. For example, my previous car had a market value of about $12000 when I was selling it. I had rims, lowered, body kit, HIDs and a custom sound system totalling about $15000 (it was a show car). However, nothing "engine wise" was modded. At the end I was able to selling the car at $15000. Yeah, you can say it increased the value of the car by $3000, however, I lost about $12000 to have that $3000 increase. So bottom line, are you going to get your money worth when you mod a car and sell it? The answer is simply no. And if you're looking at a trade-in, dealers will definitely offer you else than the market value. Hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced

here is the image. i think its photoshoped tho....but yeah....im just looking for rims to match the car....some faded type of color like that...

preciate the replies
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Anyone can school me on how MODing your whip effects its trade in value?
Like most have said...MOD's will make the car go down in value, a complete virgin stocker will keep the value high. I for one, would not touch a modded car, not even slightly modded.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Non-enthusiasts will say, "Man, this car has mods...he might have abused/raced it hard"

Enthusiasts will say, "Hmm, I'm 100% sure he abused his car. Also, I don't want to have someone else's ride...I wanted my car to be unique"

Mods are non-Acura components (unless you get something like A-spec suspension). They'll make your car look less reliable.

When getting rid of your car, follow these instructions:
1. Put the car back to stock
2. Sell your parts with a slight hit in price

When buying a new car:
1. Never trade-in your car to a dealer. They will conspire to rape you, and then rape you hard....and then rob you.
2. Sell your car privately. This way you make get the most out of the sale, which you can then use as a downpayment.
3. If you are too lazy and want to just trade it in, don't mention the trade-in until after a price is agreed upon. If they ask if you want to trade-in, tell them that you might consider it, but you want to see what kind of price you can get for the new car
Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 AM
wj4
Advanced

2. Sell your parts with a slight hit in price
great tip. i always tell my friends to do this because more than likely you will get lowballers. so say if you want to sell an item for $120...ask for $150 so when someone offers you around what you originally wanted, you can agree on a deal.

3. If you are too lazy and want to just trade it in, don't mention the trade-in until after a price is agreed upon. If they ask if you want to trade-in, tell them that you might consider it, but you want to see what kind of price you can get for the new car
it helps too if you go to kbb.com or edmunds.com and see the trade in value of your car to see where the offer stands. i traded in my car once and the offer was reasonable...they gave me the same amount of what my car was worth in the best condition. but i agree that if they are going to lowball you, walk out and sell it privately if you can.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Go Dutch !

Heavy mods will decrease value, but nice aftermarket rims and some lowering springs will not (as long as it's not to the extreme), neither will a decent spoiler (not talking about the double ironingboard trunk spoilers ofcourse). For nice rims you'll get some extra money back. Things like open air intakes you better take off, as most people associate those with extreme driving...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Just dial 1911

When I sell or trade in my TSX, it will be put completey back to stock. Much easier to sell that way (wider audiance and no ricers coming just to "test drive" it ) and the parts individually would get you back some coin...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Non-enthusiasts will say, "Man, this car has mods...he might have abused/raced it hard"

When buying a new car:
1. Never trade-in your car to a dealer. They will conspire to rape you, and then rape you hard....and then rob you.
I disagree with your two points.

I am an enthusiast and I would say those things.

I got a fantastic trade in from the dealer and still only paid a few hundred over invoice for my TSX. In addition to that, I got the benefit of the sales tax savings by trading it in (WA state = 8.9%), I did not have to pay for advertising and I did not have to deal with losers and lowlife wanting to come to my house to look and drive my vehicle. It all comes down to your negotiating skills, know your pricing and value and don't be afraid to walk away from the deal.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by tsturbo
I disagree with your two points, I am an enthusiast and I would say those things. I got a fantastic trade in from the dealer and still only paid a few hundred over invoice for my TSX. In addition to that, I got the benefit of the sales tax savings by trading it in, I did not have to pay for advertising and I did not have to deal with losers and lowlife wanting to come to my house to look and drive my vehicle.
Its still not as much as you would have got had you just sold it. And in CA, we dont have that sales tax benifit. The trade-in has no effect on the taxable sale price.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joerockt
Its still not as much as you would have got had you just sold it. And in CA, we dont have that sales tax benifit. The trade-in has no effect on the taxable sale price.
Not true, I had my vehicle listed for sale/advertised for a month and no takers (30k price), dealer gave me 29K, just about an even wash for what I paid for the TSX, paid no sales tax on TSX, saving myself about 2,600.00 in sales tax, if I would have got 30k for selling my vehicle myself, I made 1k more but end up 1,600.00 in the hole because of the sales tax.

Check the CA law, are you sure it doesn't work like the WA state one when trading in?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Not true, I had my vehicle listed for sale/advertised for a month and no takers (30k price), dealer gave me 29K, just about an even wash for what I paid for the TSX, paid no sales tax on TSX, saving myself about 2,600.00 in sales tax, if I would have got 30k for selling my vehicle myself, I made 1k more but end up 1,600.00 in the hole because of the sales tax.

Check the CA law, are you sure it doesn't work like the WA state one when trading in?
No, it dosent.