Mercedes Benz CL-S 500 vs. TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz CL-S 500 vs. TSX

Just thought I'd get your attention with the "vs." in the title. Don't worry, this isn't a comparison of a $70k car vs. a $27k car.

A very successful buddy of mine since high school needed my services last weekend to bargain for a brand new Mercedes. He's been eyeing the new CL-S "four door coupe" that they recently introduced. Knowing in advance that I'd get a complex about my so-called luxury car, I gave my TSX some good ol' T-L-C the night before heading down to the standard of luxury cars.

When I pulled up to the dealer parking lot, the salesman who had the next "up" customer pointed me into a VIP parking spot next to the showroom. My friend looked at their inventory which had a (2) CL-S 500's with the premium package (+$12k) and (1) CL-S 55 AMG. He decided on a silver 500 after some persuding on my behalf.

Test Drive
Although this was my second time as a passenger in this car, it still amazes me. This car is truly an exotic car and grabs attention everywhere it goes. It has TONS of toys like 4 zone climate control, navigation control, bluetooth, etc. The car produces over 300hp to push you into your seat and stops on a dime. The highlight of the drive was when my friend was asked to floor it to over 80 mph while driving over a deep gutter. After holding on and anticipating a big bump, the suspension took the blow and felt like almost nothing.

Showroom
This is where MB usually shines. Every little detail in the buying experience was well thought out right down to the Mercedes Benz drinking water. While waiting a whopping total of 5 minutes for finance, we took advantage of the big screen TV and complimentary gormet coffee.

Car Delivery
After his new CL-S was washed up, the salesperson spent almost half an hour to explain all the features and setup options of the car. Do you want daytime running lamps on? How bright do you want your ambient lighting? Do you want the cabin lights to dim immediately or have a 5 second delay? All the possible choices were explained and I could've swore I was getting stressed out from the sensory overload.

In the end, I felt a new sense of appreciation for Mercedes Benz. Their cars (outside of the C-class) seem to be on an entirely different planet in terms of luxury. And for many reasons, I loved my $27,000 TSX even more. I know that for the price, I have a car that was worthy of parking next to a $80,000 Mercedes.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Car Delivery
...the salesperson spent almost half an hour to explain all the features and setup options of the car. Do you want daytime running lamps on? How bright do you want your ambient lighting? Do you want the cabin lights to dim immediately or have a 5 second delay? All the possible choices were explained...
My Acura dealer did all the same things you mentioned... for our overpriced 4 cylinder Honda.

I think your friend got ripped off for the same experience I got from my Acura dealer.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Wait a year or so until the all the fancy gadgets in the Mercedes start acting up. At least with the TSX, you know the power windows will still work when the car is ten years old.

And for what it's worth, I thing that "Mercedes water" is a dumb gimmick to justify an overpriced car, not something to be impressed by. I'd gladly bring my Nalgene with me when I went car-shopping if it meant that my car cost $20,000 less.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Racer

I have to say that those cars are awesome. I too have been in the CLS...not for myself of course but I was fortunate enough to get a ride in one.

As far as the TSX is concerned, I was shown better service by my Acura dealer than I was shown when I went to one of the biggest Benz dealers in the country to look for a C-class. My Acura salesperson was probably the best salesperson I have dealt with regardless of make of car or size of dealership. He took a long time showing me the features of my car when I picked it up and the dealership itself was a great facility all around!

Well, anyway, good luck with your buddy's new car those are sweet, and keep enjoying your TSX as well.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by Mitlov
Wait a year or so until the all the fancy gadgets in the Mercedes start acting up. At least with the TSX, you know the power windows will still work when the car is ten years old.

And for what it's worth, I thing that "Mercedes water" is a dumb gimmick to justify an overpriced car, not something to be impressed by. I'd gladly bring my Nalgene with me when I went car-shopping if it meant that my car cost $20,000 less.
Actually, there were (3) defects observed during delivery:
1. ESP malfunction (their version of VSA)
2. Center armrest console wouldn't close
3. Navi wouldn't read DVD
I ended up leaving as my friend waited an additional 1-2 hours for them to fix it.

Mitlov / Bz268 - I really hope that your responses didn't imply that giving props to another car make outside of Acura doesn't have a place. Is it really that hard to love our cars while appreciating a car some of us will never afford?

If it was my money to spend on an exotic sedan, I wouldn't have to look further than an M5. To each their own, I guess....
Old 09-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait for the new class. Its gonna be a gem.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Because Of You

Mitlov / Bz268 - I really hope that your responses didn't imply that giving props to another car make outside of Acura doesn't have a place. Is it really that hard to love our cars while appreciating a car some of us will never afford?
Not at all. I am not a brand person. If a Kia is good, I don't mind to have a Kia. If the Kia dealer is bad, I will not buy a Kia even if the Kia is good.

I personnally have never been in a MB dealership. I've been in couple BMW and Audi. Many of the Audi dealerships are bad. BMW is a mix. Some are ok. Some are not. Any Lexus, GM or Mazda is bad. Mitshibishi is the worst!

Saturn is the BEST!!!!

Toyota and Honda are ok. (if they are not too busy)
The Acura dealer I went was pretty good.

The rest of the brands is average.

Oh... I forgot to mention. My friend and I have nothing to do in the weekend. So we usually go window shopping for cars all over towns. We usually go here and there to get the free bottle water and... <G> one of them even have cigarate.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Racer

The CL-S class is nice. That car looks sexy. I would love to be able to afford that car. Maybe after I become a sucessful dentist I would be able to.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm a llama :(

Treatment is dealer specific. And it also depends on what you look like. If you're 40 and wearing a suit and you walk into a Mercedes dealership, you'll get better treatment than if you were 20 and walking around like you're Eminem.

Lexus is doing an amazing job of making the car buying experience as good as possible. It seems that they not only copy Mercedes in their design philisophy, but in the showrooms as well.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Dealerships don't usually vary their willingness to help by brand just their style of presenting it, but like Motohip stated: they treat you very differently depending on your age and the way you present yourself which usually indicates your buying power. Me and ex gf went to an Audi dealer in NorCal and she had the money to buy a TT that day but the salesperson was such an asshole pretty much ushering us off the lot and telling us to come back another day with our parents. Stevens Creek Acura up in Santa Clara, CA has great service and they don't look down on me just because I'm 18, it just all depends. BTW isn't it just CLS not CL-S which is the CL Type S? Personally I think it looks like an elongated beetle... Don't care much for its looks but that's all subjective, but its performance is undeniably desirable. Great car just ugly exterior but if your friend doesn't mind then that's a great buy. Congrats.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
BTW isn't it just CLS not CL-S which is the CL Type S? Personally I think it looks like an elongated beetle... Don't care much for its looks but that's all subjective, but its performance is undeniably desirable. Great car just ugly exterior but if your friend doesn't mind then that's a great buy. Congrats.
Your right -- its CLS.

I can easily see the "elongated beetle" shape. This was why I insisted on silver. His other choice (black) seemed to only elongate the lines of the car even more.

I still think its beautiful...
Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 AM
Advanced

I ended up leaving as my friend waited an additional 1-2 hours for them to fix it.

If it was my money to spend on an exotic sedan, I wouldn't have to look further than an M5. To each their own, I guess....
I'm not afraid of giving props to cars besides Acuras. I just happen to think that MBs are incredibly unreliable. If they worked, they'd be awesome (if overpriced) cars.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Your right -- its CLS.

I can easily see the "elongated beetle" shape. This was why I insisted on silver. His other choice (black) seemed to only elongate the lines of the car even more.

I still think its beautiful...
MB's look hot in silver and black! Especially silver *drool* but they're maintenance...
Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
The CLS is definately a nice car. I saw one at the end of my street the other day and was like,........wow, why is that parked here. There are a lot of nice cars in my area (bmw 3's, A4's,C and E classes, mid range lexus' etc) but its rare to see something like that parked on my street.

On the topic of dealership service,.....Acura of Hamilton was great. The woman we bought the car from was extremely nice and very helpful. We got the typical tea and coffee etc. Since we had to drive about 40 min to the dealership the dealership gave us a bottle and champagne and some chocolates with our car. LOL.

Speaking of MB,............has anyone else noticed how the brand new S class looks VERY BMW ish, both inside and out?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Originally Posted by West6MT
The CLS is definately a nice car. I saw one at the end of my street the other day and was like,........wow, why is that parked here. There are a lot of nice cars in my area (bmw 3's, A4's,C and E classes, mid range lexus' etc) but its rare to see something like that parked on my street.

On the topic of dealership service,.....Acura of Hamilton was great. The woman we bought the car from was extremely nice and very helpful. We got the typical tea and coffee etc. Since we had to drive about 40 min to the dealership the dealership gave us a bottle and champagne and some chocolates with our car. LOL.

Speaking of MB,............has anyone else noticed how the brand new S class looks VERY BMW ish, both inside and out?
Wouldn't you say the new S class looks more Maybach-ish than BMW ish?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
Wouldn't you say the new S class looks more Maybach-ish than BMW ish?
hmmmmmmm,.....good point. The back does look like a maybach I guess,...but it still looks like a 7 series from the back as well I think. The front is not BMWish. The dash looks like the inside of a BMW for sure though.

Here is a link for some good pics:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...id/2050620.001
Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts

A very successful buddy of mine since high school needed my services last weekend to bargain for a brand new Mercedes. He's been eyeing the new CL-S "four door coupe" that they recently introduced. Knowing in advance that I'd get a complex about my so-called luxury car, I gave my TSX some good ol' T-L-C the night before heading down to the standard of luxury cars.

Great review- cool car, so he finally got it. I wouldn't have a complex about it though....its a nice car, but remember, he doesnt pay for daycare or diapers. As you implied, you still know you bought the best sedan per dollar that money can buy.

I'm not afraid of giving props to cars besides Acuras. I just happen to think that MBs are incredibly unreliable. If they worked, they'd be awesome (if overpriced) cars.

I disagree that they are incredibly unreliable or overpriced. My family has had 4 mercedes benzes...280e, either late 70's/early 80's, an 85 190E 2.3, a 93 560SEL, and a 2002 S500. The 190 and the 560 have aged gracefully, the S500 is a beautiful automobile (if only the COMAND system didn't suck). We still have the 12 year old 560SEL and I only hope the TSX's interior keeps looking beautiful that long. It seriously looks and feels as if it has only 25000 miles of seat time on it, its still smells of rich leather, and the smoothness of its operation still amazes....and most amazingly, its my mom taking care of it (which means no care whatsoever). It was built to last. Each has been as incredibly reliable as every HondAcura we have owned, but any maintenance has cost big bucks....

If anything, the BMWs and Volvos we have owned have had the most defects....electrical system bugs, short longevity on some of the plastic bits and pieces around the car, and as usual with German cars, big buck repair and maintenance. The Bimmer was a fun one to own though.

Let not even talk about the 2 Vanagons or the Rabbit that we once owned.....horrible reliability and longevity.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Burning Brakes

how many bad experiences did you have with MB?
or you just read?

my family had 2 E320 1 CL320 1 C230......
we just follow the maintainance schedule ...never had problem

my friend has a C240...she had ski control light flash after 2 years
they just fixed it for free....
other than that ...it's trouble free

anyway...unreliable as in going to break down after couple of years?
I don't think so.....
Old 09-20-2005, 04:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
whatsoever). It was built to last. Each has been as incredibly reliable as every HondAcura we have owned, but any maintenance has cost big bucks....

If anything, the BMWs and Volvos we have owned have had the most defects....electrical system bugs, short longevity on some of the plastic bits and pieces around the car, and as usual with German cars, big buck repair and maintenance. .
I think that is the reason everyone bitch about German car.
because every little thing you try to fix...it cost alot of money.....
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Used to be true anyways ...

Mercedes dealers used to work on the class system ...

If you own a CLS (or S class) they'll answer the phone in svc. dept.

If you own a E class you get to leave a message and someone will prob. call back.

If you own a C class, leave a message, maybe they'll call.

as for sales & showmanship they have always been top-notch though ...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Wow, that would have ruined it for me. You're suposed to be excited when buying a car and having to fix stuff would just take that away.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Showroom
This is where MB usually shines. Every little detail in the buying experience was well thought out right down to the Mercedes Benz drinking water. While waiting a whopping total of 5 minutes for finance, we took advantage of the big screen TV and complimentary gormet coffee.
This is where I feel that Acura loses out. Even buying the TSX, I felt as if I were buying a car....salespeople were just that. However, with Mercedes, Audi, and even with my Saturn dealership, the sales people were enthusiasts. They were selling you a driving experience, a lifestyle, etc. I usually try to see my way past sales bulls&it, but man, I could get used to that.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the end, I felt a new sense of appreciation for Mercedes Benz. Their cars (outside of the C-class) seem to be on an entirely different planet in terms of luxury. And for many reasons, I loved my $27,000 TSX even more. I know that for the price, I have a car that was worthy of parking next to a $80,000 Mercedes.
I wouldnt say that. My folks just bought a C230 Kompressor and that thing still had a lot of cool little features. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head were the retractable sunscreen and the vented moonroof shield.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joerockt
I wouldnt say that. My folks just bought a C230 Kompressor and that thing still had a lot of cool little features. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head were the retractable sunscreen and the vented moonroof shield.
Mazda 3 also has the vented moonroof shield. Well NEway, for me a Mazda3 is a way better car than a C230.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Integrated car phone/cell phone. A switch to turn off the alarm when boarding a fairy (is that the right fairy?). Sport mode for the auto transmission. Auto tranny is really good BTW. That's all I can think of.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ianS
Mazda 3 also has the vented moonroof shield. Well NEway, for me a Mazda3 is a way better car than a C230.
I feel the exact opposite.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:50 PM
VSA Rocks

It sounds like they have the premium package. My in-laws own a Kompressor as well and I often compare it against my TSX that costs only $27k. Many MB owners despise the C-class (outside of the AMG version) and think it cheapens the brand.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Just dial 1911

It sounds like they have the premium package. My in-laws own a Kompressor as well and I often compare it against my TSX that costs only $27k. Many MB owners despise the C-class (outside of the AMG version) and think it cheapens the brand.
That would be like Acura owners dispising all RSX owners...Lotsa stupid people out there. So I wonder if Lotus owners are pissed at the Elise
Old 09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by ianS
Old 09-20-2005, 01:15 PM

That would be like Acura owners dispising all RSX owners...Lotsa stupid people out there. So I wonder if Lotus owners are pissed at the Elise
You say that as if it weren't true.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Motohip
You say that as if it weren't true.
Which part? I dont dispise RSX owners...Do you honestly think the RSX "cheapens the brand"? If so, then our TSX "cheapens the brand" as well. We should all just roll in RL's
Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Which part? I dont dispise RSX owners...
But some do. You have those people in all luxury brands.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Which part? I dont dispise RSX owners...Do you honestly think the RSX "cheapens the brand"? If so, then our TSX "cheapens the brand" as well. We should all just roll in RL's
Have you been in the RL and TL forums? God forbid a dealer give them a TSX as a loaner. All hell brakes loose.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Motohip
Have you been in the RL and TL forums? God forbid a dealer give them a TSX as a loaner. All hell brakes loose.
Like I said, lots of stupid people out there.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Professional Newbie

Back to the topic of Mercedes, I (my family) just got the new ML500 and I have to say that it feels entirely more luxurious than my RX330. Not to mention that the ML500 completely rapes the TSX and RX330 on acceleration. The engine is torquey as hell! Also, their iPod interface kicks ass, I hope Acura's interface will be even better!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:46 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Back to the topic of Mercedes, I (my family) just got the new ML500 and I have to say that it feels entirely more luxurious than my RX330. Not to mention that the ML500 completely rapes the TSX and RX330 on acceleration. The engine is torquey as hell! Also, their iPod interface kicks ass, I hope Acura's interface will be even better!
At the cost of the ML, I would only hope that it would rape the TSX.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Top notch 6MT

I am not a MB owner but I do feel the C-class coupe massively violates the brand. It just doesn't even look like a MB.

On a related note, actually I am shocked that BMW and MB still sell cars here that have hub caps (not for Winter tyres)!! How much luxury is that?!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Top notch 6MT

Actually I don't quite understand how you love your $27k TSX even more while feeling a new sense of appreciation for MB... am I missing something?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Actually I don't quite understand how you love your $27k TSX even more while feeling a new sense of appreciation for MB... am I missing something?
I'm with you...
Old 09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Yes.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz CL-S 500 vs. TSX