Manual Shifting Tip to Share for us 6M Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were to parallel park into a tight space between two cars on a hill with the car facing down, how would you do this with manual? it seems much more difficult than auto.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nsxiballer
If you were to parallel park into a tight space between two cars on a hill with the car facing down, how would you do this with manual? it seems much more difficult than auto.
In this situation or in many other parking situations where you have to go extremely slow, you will end up riding the clutch in reverse (or first). With the clutch in, put the shifter into 1/R, then slowly let the clutch out and give just a tiny bit of gas until you are moving as fast as you want. You will likely be unable to let the clutch all the way out without going too fast. To avoid wearing the clutch more than you have to, use only the smallest throttle input possible, and put the clutch all the way back in as soon as you are going the right speed -- you will then coast at that speed until you brake (or hit something ) at which point you will have to repeat the process.

And yes, it is more difficult than with a slushbox -- but afterwards you can honestly say that you know how to drive
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by nsxiballer
Not much more difficult, really. Just requires a little finesse is all. Also, don't be afraid to use the handbrake to hold the car in place.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dice
Most of my friends are young and in my opinion really dont know how to drive it properly and wear the clutch out too much. Thx for the tips hopefully ill get a real good hang of it.
you'll be fine.

fyi - you are able to spot someone that may be wearing out a clutch too much. you're not so much of a newbie as you might think...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 PM
No-navi, yo

Nice write up, samualcc.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I know this is an old thread and this doesn't really help in explaining. And it may be a repost...

I found this video on Google of "JDM v 3 superpowers". It's filmed in Japan (with Japanese drivers) and the narrator is the same guy from Iron Chef

It's pretty funny reading what these guys are saying about the cars as they go around the track (you'll see what I mean), but the video has a picture-in-picture of the pedals so you can see the guys heel-toeing it.

One thing I found odd is the Skyline's pedals are not placed well at all for heel-toeing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90&q=911+turbo
Old 07-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

My only tip to add to this conversation is too take your shoes off and operate the pedals in your bare feet or with just socks on. It makes it easier to get a feel for the car so to speak. It’s easier to learn how to make those fine adjustments between clutch and gas and it gives you better sensory perception. For me it was easier to be more precise with the amount of gas I added and easier to feel the clutch engagement point. It's a little hard to describe what I mean but I encourage you to give it a try. I think you'll find it a little easier to learn to drive a MT without shoes then with.

-Thad
Old 07-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tasx
My only tip to add to this conversation is too take your shoes off and operate the pedals in your bare feet or with just socks on.
tried that when i first started out with an MT. didn't work for me.

my left arch began going into spasms to the point where i stalled the car. i couldn't take it anymore. i couldn't continue to operate the clutch w/o my arch going into spasms.

i too would recommend this approach. but, for me, i wasn't possible.

next best thing? pumas?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Double Clutch might be good...

Please note that the skip shifting issue and wear on the syncros was discussed in this thread, complete with a reference to an Acura/Honda service bulletin about damage caused by skip shifting on a regular basis...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=skip+shifting
Old 07-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Practice wearing Timberlands with thick soles. Then your clutch control skill will improve. When you go back to thin soled shoes, your foot will be extra sensitive to the amount of clutch release.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
tried that when i first started out with an MT. didn't work for me.

my left arch began going into spasms to the point where i stalled the car. i couldn't take it anymore. i couldn't continue to operate the clutch w/o my arch going into spasms.

i too would recommend this approach. but, for me, i wasn't possible.
It's also illegal to drive without shoes on. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just practice more; even the featherweight hydraulic clutch in the TSX has enough feedback for me to be able to feel it in any shoes.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aaronng
Practice wearing Timberlands with thick soles. Then your clutch control skill will improve. When you go back to thin soled shoes, your foot will be extra sensitive to the amount of clutch release.
that's the way i like it...
Old 07-09-2006, 07:44 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt
It's also illegal to drive without shoes on. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Just practice more; even the featherweight hydraulic clutch in the TSX has enough feedback for me to be able to feel it in any shoes.
Funny, I was also told this, but could not find a specific reference in any laws. However, I did find this link for more info...

LINK

...I guess I don't have to wait 30 minutes after eating to go swimming too...
Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Let's put it this way, I can drive a manual transmission from point A to B no prob.
How about some tips for stopping at a stop sign with a steep, steep incline. For a short time, I had a 90 Corvette and could let out the clutch about halfway and start off no probs on steep hills. I don't have a MT nor do I ever plan on buying another one (coordination is not my thing). My girl does have one though, and when I drive it, I always look like a jackass peeling out at stops on hills because the halfway thing doesn't work on her car. Any tips for a newbie?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by studville
Let's put it this way, I can drive a manual transmission from point A to B no prob.
How about some tips for stopping at a stop sign with a steep, steep incline. For a short time, I had a 90 Corvette and could let out the clutch about halfway and start off no probs on steep hills. I don't have a MT nor do I ever plan on buying another one (coordination is not my thing). My girl does have one though, and when I drive it, I always look like a jackass peeling out at stops on hills because the halfway thing doesn't work on her car. Any tips for a newbie?
Maybe try the handbrake method??

Honestly, if you're proficient enough with a stick on flat land, then hills should not give you any problems either.
This leads me to believe you're not as good as you think you are... sorry
Old 07-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psteng19
Maybe try the handbrake method??

Honestly, if you're proficient enough with a stick on flat land, then hills should not give you any problems either.
This leads me to believe you're not as good as you think you are... sorry
Let me clarify.

On a steep hill without rolling backwards.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me clarify.

My reply still holds, try the handbrake method.

On really steep hills, I'll roll back a few inches further than usual, but I don't really see an issue there. If I really cared enough about not rolling backwards, I'd use the handbrake.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Let me clarify.

heel-toe method?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I can't find my garage

imtrying to learn manual and i have a question. well i got all the shifting and clutchin to start the engine down but i have a question, is there certain things to do wen turning off the engine? like clutchin it or w.e?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Instructor

I just put it in reverse/first gear and turn off the engine while holding the clutch down. If you let go of the clutch, it'll turn the car off too, it's just that you'll be stalling out
Old 08-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mltk53
imtrying to learn manual and i have a question. well i got all the shifting and clutchin to start the engine down but i have a question, is there certain things to do wen turning off the engine? like clutchin it or w.e?
I was almost told to use hand brake (just one or two clicks) and put the car in gear if on incline/decline.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:12 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by fadinglionhart
I just put it in reverse/first gear and turn off the engine while holding the clutch down. If you let go of the clutch, it'll turn the car off too, it's just that you'll be stalling out
thnx, that explained a whole lot to me =]
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah, don't forget the handbrake!!