Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like misterknob.com is available
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Last week we had 108, 105, 104 temps here and the knob was not that hot. This is a reason to get the windows tinted and buy a $6.99 window shield from Target. That will work fine.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by matelot
looks like misterknob.com is available
That sounds kinky.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShredder
Last week we had 108, 105, 104 temps here and the knob was not that hot. This is a reason to get the windows tinted and buy a $6.99 window shield from Target. That will work fine.
I've got tint and a sunshade. I often leave my windows cracked 1cm and the roof tilted with the roofshade 1cm open. Even then, it makes my knob hot.

If sunshades and tint solve the problem, then why do kids die in fully shaded trunks? Answer: IR radiation generates heat on the paint, which is conducted from the paint through the body, then radiated as IR again. In the cabin, the headliner and glass don't insulate for crap, and the interior of the car gets much hotter than the outside. Place a metal shift knob in there and it will slowly rise to the same temp.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Forgot to mention that the three setscrew design they have for securing the knob to the shaft is really crappy. The screws will get loose over time so you can be driving down the road and the knob will come off in your hands. Also because the screws are pointy, they damage the threads on the shaft.
I absolutely agree with that. I had one in my GSR. Though I liked the look, it would do the same thing. The knob would come off in my hand and damaged my shaft.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
The knob would come off in my hand and damaged my shaft.
This coming from a guy named "Big Willie"...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waterrockets
I've got tint and a sunshade. I often leave my windows cracked 1cm and the roof tilted with the roofshade 1cm open. Even then, it makes my knob hot.

If sunshades and tint solve the problem, then why do kids die in fully shaded trunks? Answer: IR radiation generates heat on the paint, which is conducted from the paint through the body, then radiated as IR again. In the cabin, the headliner and glass don't insulate for crap, and the interior of the car gets much hotter than the outside. Place a metal shift knob in there and it will slowly rise to the same temp.

Who says it solves the problem? These products really mitigate the heat in the cabin to a bearable level. We are at a mile high here and the sun's radiation is much more concentrated than any other major city in the U.S., but it still leaves the "hot knob" from getting to hot. My car sits out in the sun all day without any shade. I was just trying to help because those things work for me. I guess your hands are just more sensitive. :theghey:

j/k

BTW, the kids/pets die because of dehydration caused by the heat. If they had enough water they could survive until the sun went down but that is a different topic.

Solution: Just shift and take your hand away quickly. After a few shifts your hand would absorb some of the heat held in the knob (knob to hand transfer) and your endurance to it will increase along with the temp of the knob decreasing.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
If sunshades and tint solve the problem, then why do kids die in fully shaded trunks?
Suffocation
Old 07-29-2005, 03:01 PM
"You are just a puppet.."

BTW, the kids/pets die because of dehydration caused by the heat. If they had enough water they could survive until the sun went down but that is a different topic.
Kinda...its heat exhaustion...it takes ALOT longer to die from dehydration
dehydration is a sympton of heat exhaustion...however childern could still die from heat exhaustion with water to drink
Old 07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I like how this thread has somehow gone from shift knobs to what happens when you stuff baby in the trunk of your car.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I like how this thread has somehow gone from shift knobs to what happens when you stuff baby in the trunk of your car.
haha. i know...
Old 07-29-2005, 06:17 PM
No-navi, yo

Tender......hands.......

If the shifting knob was really heated by the interior air temperature, I think no matter what type of new knob you put into it, it is going to get equally hot.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Who says it solves the problem?
Umm, you did

These products really mitigate the heat in the cabin to a bearable level. We are at a mile high here and the sun's radiation is much more concentrated than any other major city in the U.S., but it still leaves the "hot knob" from getting to hot.

Solution: Just shift and take your hand away quickly. After a few shifts your hand would absorb some of the heat held in the knob (knob to hand transfer) and your endurance to it will increase along with the temp of the knob decreasing.
Yeah, I grew up in Denver, and left at 27 y/o. In my experience, car interiors are hotter in Texas. It's no comparison. I'm not sure why -- because I got sunburned easier in Colorado, which jives with your statement about the sun intensity. I think it's just outside temp and humidity. Since we have more humidity here, the air's specific heat is higher. 100 degrees here in Austin transfers heat more quickly than 100 degrees in Denver.

Short touches on the hot knob do keep me feeling good but I shouldn't have to work so hard to feel good. I'm gonna try a wood knob. I think I can turn one in less than an hour -- though my lathe hasn't been turned on in 2 years -- so my turning skilz are surely lacking. I'll chime in with the results if I ever get around to it. By then it won't be hot any more. <sigh>
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
Tender......hands.......

If the shifting knob was really heated by the interior air temperature, I think no matter what type of new knob you put into it, it is going to get equally hot.
That's correct, but some materials won't feel as hot. Look at cookware: a cast iron skillet with a metal handle of 200 degrees probably requires a hot pad (unless you have "cook's hands.") A wooden handle at 200 degres is tolerable.

Think about the specific heat, density, and insulative properties of the material used. The leather around the stock knob feels cooler because it insulates your hand from the steel and has low specific heat. It feels better than the steel even though it's the same temp. In the same way, a wooden knob will insulate your hand from the core of the wood. Since it has low specific heat, the surface temp will drop rapidly when contacted by your "cold" hand. This surface is also insulated from the core, so it doesn't feel so hot.

If you consider aluminum, it's not going to perform so well even though it has a very low specific heat. The problem is that it's a poor insulator, as it conducts heat very rapidly. While your hand would rapidly cool the surface, the remaining heat would quickly be spread back to the cooler material. Overall, aluminum would feel better than stainless steel though, but it still wouldn't feel comfortable IMO.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

I'm liking all the ideas that I'm getting from the group. The comments about specific heat really do make sense. I guess these are severe cases of heat problems here in the DC area and its not a regular occurence. The stupid law makers in VA make sure that we don't tint our windows too much along with the fact we can't have radar detectors. I'm starting to think going to a leather knob, carbon or wooden knob would be best.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes