Lower console "not an ashtray" door: supposed to shut so easily?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Lower console "not an ashtray" door: supposed to shut so easily?

So when I got my "new" car home, a CPO 2006 TSX, as I was reading the manual, trying everything out ... y'know, the usual "new car honeymoon," ... I noticed that the upper console door (what some have called "CD storage," under the downward light below the ventilation controls) has a steady, even resistance when you're closing it. The door below it, covering the power jack and "not an ashtray," starts out with the same resistance, then the resistance fades and it closes quickly.

I thought this was a fault, maybe a broken spring, but checked a new 2007 model in the showroom -- same thing! I've only tried this on two TSXs. I can't remember what the TL loaner had, or what it did, but I don't recall any little covers/doors doing this slow-fast closing thing.

=> Has anyone else noticed this, or surmised a reasoning for the different closing resistance on this cover?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
mine is like that, I think it's just the angle at which it opens and closes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
So when I got my "new" car home, a CPO 2006 TSX, as I was reading the manual, trying everything out ... y'know, the usual "new car honeymoon," ... I noticed that the upper console door (what some have called "CD storage," under the downward light below the ventilation controls) has a steady, even resistance when you're closing it. The door below it, covering the power jack and "not an ashtray," starts out with the same resistance, then the resistance fades and it closes quickly.

I thought this was a fault, maybe a broken spring, but checked a new 2007 model in the showroom -- same thing! I've only tried this on two TSXs. I can't remember what the TL loaner had, or what it did, but I don't recall any little covers/doors doing this slow-fast closing thing.

=> Has anyone else noticed this, or surmised a reasoning for the different closing resistance on this cover?
considering all the things happening in the world, you are concerned about the resistance of your "not an ashtray" door? seriously, are you serious??
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
psh, there have been way stupider questions asked here. its a forum, if you want to ask something like that, this is the place!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by feelgood13
considering all the things happening in the world, you are concerned about the resistance of your "not an ashtray" door? seriously, are you serious??

Better then another thread bout which gas to use.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by feelgood13
Considering all the serious sheot that I'm juggling in my life, believe me, it's a pleasure to indulge in curiosity about things like this. There are so many touches in the TSX that are clearly by design, I figured this might be one I just haven't "gotten" yet. Someone else here figured out the card slots on the underside of the armrest. I puzzled over that for 2-3 weeks.

Examples: when you disable the passenger window switches, they become unlit. If you set the MID display one way with cruise control enabled, then set it another way with it cancelled, the MID returns to your setting with CC when you reengage CC. You can't lock the drivers door with the key in the ignition. When you double-lock the car with the remote, if a door is ajar or the trunk is open, you don't get the honk/beep. The list goes on....
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Cyclist, Too!

And, most important, I get a little laugh every time I see the "not an ashtray" label...kind of a like a Magritte painting...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Instructor

yours is broken, mine shuts closed with nice even pressure. CPO my ass!

want to bring a class action lawsuit against Honda? j/k mine does the same thing as yours....nice even pressure than the last inch it slams closed.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM
PWP/ebony/6MT/Navi

Speaking of the "Not an Ashtray"... I'm a little tired of excitedly showing off the car to people, and as they ooh and ahh over it, they start poking around themselves and flip the "Not An Ashtray" compartment open. INVARIABLY they all say, "Not an ashtray? What is it then? And why is it red and plushy?"

Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteDragon07
Speaking of the "Not an Ashtray"... I'm a little tired of excitedly showing off the car to people, and as they ooh and ahh over it, they start poking around themselves and flip the "Not An Ashtray" compartment open. INVARIABLY they all say, "Not an ashtray? What is it then? And why is it red and plushy?"
I have a paint pen getting ready to blot out that "not an ashtray." Or maybe I should get a bottle of Chanel nail polish and do it right. Does that "not ashtray" pop out or do I have to remove the whole storage bin?

As to the "last inch" speed on the door ... maybe it has something to do with proximity to the shifter. Or ... the engineers spent so much time perfecting the sound and feel of the door, they left the console covers to a 2nd year intern.