Low end Power...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TSX for a youngun

I plan on getting a TSX soon but I have one concern. In almost all the reviews I read it says the TSX does not have enough lowend power. PLease explain exactly what this means to me. Does this mean if I am going to be driving around town in the 20-40 MPH range most of the time I should avoid this car? I certaintly hope not because I really want this car. Any help would be apreciated.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

This means that if you want to race from a standstill, you will lose. It will feel fine around town and fairly quick on the highway, IMO. Power is pretty good once the car is moving, it just sucks from a dead stop.

Make sure you're comfortable with that before you buy the car - you already have an advantage since you've already heard it. Go for a test drive and make sure you floor it several times at different speeds (including 0).
Old 02-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Advanced

I don't plan on racing so it should be ok.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Sile

I feel all of first gear is strong. The tires can easily spin. The biggest loss I find is when you first shift to 2nd at 3-4k (5at). Not much power there.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:28 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

It just means that you need to keep the RPM up a little bit in order to have some pep - say 2200-2500 or above.

If you're considering the automatic, I wouldn't worry about this at all. Low-end torque is typically of more concern to MT drivers.

I also note that the TSX has more low-end torque than other Honda 4-cylinder engine offerings.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Instructor

get the 6 spd, power all over the place. it pulls like a beast off the line.

just ask the celica gts driver i smoked on 440 last night.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:56 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jcg878
This means that if you want to race from a standstill, you will lose. It will feel fine around town and fairly quick on the highway, IMO. Power is pretty good once the car is moving, it just sucks from a dead stop.

Not having low end power will not mean you will be slow off the line. The S2000 has no low end pwoer and its plenty quick off the line.

Your car/engines "low end" just refers to low rpms. So with the TSX, as with most Honda 4 cyl. engines, you need to rev the engine to higher RPMs to get most power. This is something to consider, especially with an AT, as you will cruise around at low rpms in day-to-day driving.

But to be honest, lack of low end is less a problem in the TSX compared to some other 4 cyl cars. Honda has done a decent job in giving the car low end power. Have a look at some ofthe dynos and you will see its not that bad. I'm not saying its going to compete with a fast spooling turbo or V6, but its "decent" on the low end.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro

The 5AT TSX is roughly as fast as my '96 Integra 4AT off the line. I sometimes wish for more power in my Integra, but every test drive of the TSX reveals the refinement of the vehicle over the Integra. If the TL had fit me like the TSX, I'd be buying it instead. Have you considered the TL if low-end power isn't enough on the TSX? Also, what about the new Volvo 2004.5 S40 - should have low end power with the turbo?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by KJLite
it pulls like a beast off the line.
I dont know if those are correst words to use....maybe pulls like a groundhog off the line is better

LOL
Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by KJLite
get the 6 spd, power all over the place. it pulls like a beast off the line.

just ask the celica gts driver i smoked on 440 last night.
prolly an auto...the auto GTS are really slow..a 6spd will ripp you a new one..assuming the driver has some idea of how the gearshift works.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fdl
Not having low end power will not mean you will be slow off the line. The S2000 has no low end pwoer and its plenty quick off the line.

Your car/engines "low end" just refers to low rpms. So with the TSX, as with most Honda 4 cyl. engines, you need to rev the engine to higher RPMs to get most power. This is something to consider, especially with an AT, as you will cruise around at low rpms in day-to-day driving.

But to be honest, lack of low end is less a problem in the TSX compared to some other 4 cyl cars. Honda has done a decent job in giving the car low end power. Have a look at some ofthe dynos and you will see its not that bad. I'm not saying its going to compete with a fast spooling turbo or V6, but its "decent" on the low end.
try launching a s2k normally (eg. not dropping the clutch at 6k) and its a totally different story though...

but to the original question..only way to tell is test drive it...
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Drifting

If you're trying to race other cars with the TSX you bought the wrong car. Try an evo or sti. Perhaps even an RSX or Civic SI.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Advanced

I am NOT thinking about racing. I am just talking about everyday driving. I can not test drive because I am under 18. That is what one dealer told me, is this a well known rule?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ZBJZ15
I am NOT thinking about racing. I am just talking about everyday driving. I can not test drive because I am under 18. That is what one dealer told me, is this a well known rule?
My last post wasn't directed towards you, but after reading your last post, I wonder why you are looking at the TSX in the first place being so young and all.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:24 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Jason
If you're trying to race other cars with the TSX you bought the wrong car. Try an evo or sti. Perhaps even an RSX or Civic SI.
Unless you are planning on some heavy moddding, I dont see how a civic si is any better for racing than a TSX. Performance-wise they are pretty much the same stock for stock.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Racer

Careful what you say around these parts, pardner. These guys get angry when someone younger than they are has an opportunity to have the same car they have.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by dnl2ba
Careful what you say around these parts, pardner. These guys get angry when someone younger than they are has an opportunity to have the same car they have.
Thanks, I probably should have kept quiet about my age. I want the car because my family has driven acuras since I can remember and I have researched the car thouroughly. It seems like a great car and the perfect middle ground between the RSX and TL. I know I am going to be called spoiled and all the rest, but I hope I still get some good advice. I am paying for half of it BTW.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by dnl2ba
It's all good pardner, I'm just surprised someone so young will own this car. It's completely ridiculous no matter how you look at it.

Props to you for paying for half, but it doesn't make it any better. Instead of pissing your money away, why not save for college? But since your parents are paying for your college (nothing wrong with this BTW), why not invest your money for a rainy day after college when you may actually need it? If your parents support you later, why not think about that money for a house? See where I'm going?

The sexy thing would be to blow the money, and I know at your age I would probably want to do the same thing if I had the opportunity, but you should consider my advice and then make an informed decision. Besides, if you buy such a fine car right off the bat, you're creating high standards for yourself for down the road that will be tough to match. Unless your family is rich of course...
Old 02-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by fdl
Unless you are planning on some heavy moddding, I dont see how a civic si is any better for racing than a TSX. Performance-wise they are pretty much the same stock for stock.
That was just a jab at his age.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro

I can not test drive because I am under 18. That is what one dealer told me, is this a well known rule?
Go with someone who can do a test drive.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:59 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

I wouldn't buy the car unless the dealer lets you test drive it. There are always exceptions to the rules (ex. When a dealer lets you take the car out without anyone else in the car)....just have your parents make it a point to have the dealer let you drive it.

I ended up buying a 5AT, it drives a lot better than what people were saying to me when I bought my car. If you aren't planning to race, the power should be more than enough

Good luck
Old 02-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Burning Brakes

the TSX is a great entry car for teens, lots of features, predictable FWD and not too much power to get into trouble. and low price too for parents who dont want anything too flashy or expensive. so i see and know a lot of young kids driving them TSX's. the BMW 325i and ci and IS300/C230K/A4 are also popular choices with the teen crowd as a first car too. But for some reason, even the M3's around here are driven by teens/early 20's kids. their parents must love them very much.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:38 AM
Burning Brakes

i'm not sure in the states, but in canada that is not a problem at all. Back in HS days (meaning under 18), my friend and I had no problem getting a test drive at MB and BMW..just copy of your licence and credit card and gave us the keys.... but BMW and MB here are pretty lax about test drives, no one ever tags along and they just give you the keys and off you go.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:50 AM
Advanced

I have both the TSX... which is mine, and my little brothers a civic si 03, I like both of them, im 20, the TSX is a fine car to start with, in my mind, a TSX is an acura badged Accord... well it is, but the point being is... a Honda Accord, and a Acura TSX, besides the 3 thousand dollar margin, is the same thing. Power in the K series engines are not all about raw power, it is the idea behind the engine that makes it great. the TSX to me is a good car to drive, period. It can fit all of daily lifes needs and can come in more usefulness... for you the possibilities are endless, proms for school, driving around guests, you name it the TSX can do it, fit four grown adults well, quite as hell, can haul stuff with the fold down seats, and most of all can be driven without any problems... the TSX is a car that responds to the driver, very very controllable in my mind, I tell it to go left it goes, I want it to speed up, it speeds... best car for any considerate driver at any age. Now for jealousy cause you are young... like me... nah i don't think so. Even is it not a six cyn engine, it's smooth as hell for a four cyn. TSX is a good car, most of us will agree on the board.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the advice and support guys. I plan to us ethis car through college so I think it is a fair investment. I think I am going to test drive it because the manager knows my dad and lets him take the cars out alone. I will just get behind the wheel for a quick spin just to make sure I don't hate it. Hopefully I will be the proud owner of a TSX within a couple of months.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice and support guys. I plan to us ethis car through college so I think it is a fair investment. I think I am going to test drive it because the manager knows my dad and lets him take the cars out alone. I will just get behind the wheel for a quick spin just to make sure I don't hate it. Hopefully I will be the proud owner of a TSX within a couple of months.
Congrats and good luck with it. But just remember that 99.9% of cars are NOT investments.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:00 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by gilboman
the TSX is a great entry car for teens, lots of features, predictable FWD and not too much power to get into trouble. and low price too for parents who dont want anything too flashy or expensive.
200 HP = not too much power to get into trouble?

Low price?? This statement might apply to a Honda Civic, but a TSX that will run you almost 30K USD out the door once you pay taxes and such? At it will cost what to insure for a teen? 2K+ a year in some places?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Advanced

It is going to be 26,500-27,000 out the door. I am not getting NAVI and getting a really good deal. Insurance is going to be a bitch but it would be like that with any car.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by rb1

Low price?? This statement might apply to a Honda Civic, but a TSX that will run you almost 30K USD out the door once you pay taxes and such? At it will cost what to insure for a teen? 2K+ a year in some places?
Waste of money. I can't imagine getting my kid a luxury car for their first car. Back in my day...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:15 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

It is going to be 26,500-27,000 out the door. I am not getting NAVI and getting a really good deal. Insurance is going to be a bitch but it would be like that with any car.
Well, congrats on the deal (and I'm not quibbling with you're getting a TSX anyway, just on the description of this being an "ideal entry car" for a teen.)

You would be amazed at how different issurance is based on the car. I live in one of the worst zip codes for insurance in my state, and it costs fully 66% more to insure a TSX ($2000) than it does to insure a Jetta ($1200). This is with me being a forty-something and having a clean driving record, too.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rb1

200hp is nothing ...especially the 166 torque..you have altimas, camry's, accords all pushing in excess of hp and especially torque, or you could downgrade to a RSX-S which has less hp but faster and 2door which cost more than a TSX to insure, and parents like 4doors b/c its practical and its not a "sports"coupe... and the price is really cheap..its pretty much the same price as a 6cyl camry/accord. just b/c a car is cheap doesnt mean insurance will be cheap... teh TSX has pretty low insruance rates when i checked.... and just a random info: insurance for GIRLS is around 7k cdn in canada (25under, some drive lude, SLK320, golf, A4/325ci/IS/Mini) and pretty much regardless of the car they drive.. so there's not much savings in insurance. the parents just feel safer that their son/daughter is driving "luxury" nameplate since they believe its safer (prolly safer than some cheap sunfire). back in HS, my friend rolled his accord into a ditch, and his parents immediately bought him a 3-series cause they wanted his next car to be safer just in case of an accident...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Registered AssHat

... back in HS, my friend rolled his accord into a ditch, and his parents immediately bought him a 3-series cause they wanted his next car to be safer just in case of an accident...
Good plan. I would have gotten my car, license, and probably half an ass-cheek taken away until I moved out.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

200 hp is not "nothing". You can get into just as much trouble with the TSX as with the Accord or RSX. What will make the TSX, or perhaps other "luxury name plates" safer is the better handling and control, and more importantly, VSA.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by fdl
200 hp is not "nothing". You can get into just as much trouble with the TSX as with the Accord or RSX. What will make the TSX, or perhaps other "luxury name plates" safer is the better handling and control, and more importantly, VSA.
Lemme post your next response Gilbo: you can't get into trouble with any of those cars. Buy a BMW, they're safer. Especially in the snow and rain.

BTW dude, your friend's parents need help and a serious reality check. People who buy their kid a more expensive, brand new car to compensate them for crashing their Accord are morons. Are they interested in adopting a needy 29 year old in search of a better home?
Old 02-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Lemme post your next response Gilbo: you can't get into trouble with any of those cars. Buy a BMW, they're safer. Especially in the snow and rain.

BTW dude, your friend's parents need help and a serious reality check. People who buy their kid a more expensive, brand new car to compensate them for crashing their Accord are morons. Are they interested in adopting a needy 29 year old in search of a better home?
the perception is that german cars are safer than japanese ones when it comes to collison, probably the safety features but more importantly the mentality that german cars hold up better than japanese/domestics in a crash. and the feeling is 35k cdn+ for a car, they rather pay a bit more and get a german car rather than a "lesser" japanese one... especially among chink parents where german=luxury,safety...japanese=reliable,cheap... and i tried to get them to adopt me but no luck
Old 02-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Advanced

My parents wouldn't let me get a 2 door. The TSX is good because it is a 4 door but still relatively small. It also has a lot of safety features so they like that.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Drifting

the perception is that german cars are safer than japanese ones when it comes to collison, probably the safety features but more importantly the mentality that german cars hold up better than japanese/domestics in a crash. and the feeling is 35k cdn+ for a car, they rather pay a bit more and get a german car rather than a "lesser" japanese one... especially among chink parents where german=luxury,safety...japanese=reliable,cheap... and i tried to get them to adopt me but no luck
Veeeery nice Gilbo. Drop an ethnic slur why don't you? Do us a favor and keep your derogations to yourself.

As for your opinion on the perception of safety, I would say the perception is not reality in this case. I for one feel more safe in my TSX than I would a 3-series. I also think my TSX has more safety equipment than a current 3-series. Finally, I know my TSX is more likely to avoid an accident in the first place, especially in winter. German = overrated.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Drifting

My parents wouldn't let me get a 2 door. The TSX is good because it is a 4 door but still relatively small. It also has a lot of safety features so they like that.
Glad to see you parents took a stand on that one. So if you wanted a Civic coupe they would say no?
Old 02-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Glad to see you parents took a stand on that one. So if you wanted a Civic coupe they would say no?
Nope, no coupes or 2 door of any kind. Originally I was looking at the RSX but they ruled that out.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Veeeery nice Gilbo. Drop an ethnic slur why don't you? Do us a favor and keep your derogations to yourself.

As for your opinion on the perception of safety, I would say the perception is not reality in this case. I for one feel more safe in my TSX than I would a 3-series. I also think my TSX has more safety equipment than a current 3-series. Finally, I know my TSX is more likely to avoid an accident in the first place, especially in winter. German = overrated.
what's wrong with chink? and those are NOT MY OPINIONS... they are teh opinions of the parents of kids who got the IS,3series,A4's,C230K, etc...

Quick Reply: Low end Power...