Looking to buy a TSX in a few months..Have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a TSX in a few months..Have some questions

The TSX is the first car to come along in several years that has impressed me. The overall size, features, and value for the money is amazing.

I have been an avid Nissan enthusiast for several years. I am on my second New Maxima in a row. My first was a '97 that I had for about a year and a half and my current is a '00 that I have had for over 4 1/2 years. The VQ series V-6 in the Maximas is truly amazing and I have had VERY little trouble from the Nissan brand.

I am going into a line of work that will require me to do a lot of traveling and so now I think I might go down to a 4-cylinder car. I also would like to have a navigation system. The only vehicle that Nissan has that comes close to the TSX is the '05 Altima 2.5 SL w/navigation (a new option for the '05 Altima). But, the Altima just doesn't "do it" for me. They have been around for a few years and they are on every street!

When you equip an Altima 2.5 SL as closely as possible to the TSX...the TSX is only about $1,000 more. That alone is a selling point for me. But for that $1,000 more you get a 5 speed automatic, 17" wheels and Xenon headlamps ....all things that are not offered for any price on the 2.5 SL. Not to mention haveing the luxury brand status of the Acura name. We are so brand conscious here in the U.S.!

In a word..I am SOLD on the TSX! I have a few questions that I would like to have answered...if you guys would...

--Does the 5 speed auto downshift or have any trouble climbing hills with the cruise set? My Maxima handles hills so well with very little tranny downshifting (auto) that I am a little afraid of a 4-cylinder. All that downshifting can be annoying.

--Does the sunroof have one touch auto-open and close? This is one freature my Maxima has that I might lose on the TSX.

--Is there a way to adjust the delay on the auto-off headlamps after the ignition is shut off? I have read that it is 15 seconds ..is this true?

--Does the TSX have a trip computer? Miles per gallon, distance to empty and so on. Do you only get this with Navigation system?

--Is the TSX timing belt or chain driven? Always had chain driven engines with my Maximas...but this isn't a deal breaker.

--Is the 2.4 4-cylinder in the TSX shared with the U.S. Accord? What else shares this engine in the Honda line-up?

--How easy is the Navigation system to use? I have read that Nissan/Infiniti nav systems are some of the easiest.

Please forgive my ignorance to the Acura/Honda brand. I would appreciate answers to any or all of these questions. Everything I have seen so far about the TSX is very impressive. Thanks for your responses!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Looking to buy a TSX in a few months..Have some questions

Originally posted by okmaxima
--Does the 5 speed auto downshift or have any trouble climbing hills with the cruise set? My Maxima handles hills so well with very little tranny downshifting (auto) that I am a little afraid of a 4-cylinder. All that downshifting can be annoying.

--Does the sunroof have one touch auto-open and close? This is one freature my Maxima has that I might lose on the TSX.

--Is there a way to adjust the delay on the auto-off headlamps after the ignition is shut off? I have read that it is 15 seconds ..is this true?

--Dose the TSX have a trip computer? Miles per gallon, distance to empty and so on. Do you only get this with Navigation system?

--Is the TSX timing belt or chain driven? Always had chain driven engines with my Maximas...but this isn't a deal breaker.

--Is the 2.4 4-cylinder in the TSX shared with the U.S. Accord? What else shares this engine in the Honda line-up?

--How easy is the Navigation system to use? I have read that Nissan/Infiniti nav systems are some of the easiest.
To answer your questions in the order you asked them:

1. The TSX, even in cruise control, does downshift on hills. With the amount of hill driving that I do, I usually have the TSX only shift gears once or twice at most up a mile and a half to two mile long hill. The K24 provides sufficient power and the Grade Logic control in the tranny works.

2. No one-touch operation on the sunroof and only on the driver's side window.

3. No, no way to adjust the auto headlight off delay.

4. Trip computer only available with the navigation system.

5. Chain driven.

6. Essentially, the K-series motor is used throughout the Honda line in different displacements and with slightly different tunings. The 200-hp/166 lb-ft setup is unique to the TSX.

7. Honda/Acura's navigation system is the single most intuitive system on the market. It's easier to learn than most aftermarket systems. If you aren't sure, visit a dealer and ask them to teach you about the navi. They're usually more than happy to oblige.

Hope that was helpful.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Looking to buy a TSX in a few months..Have some questions

-Does the 5 speed auto downshift or have any trouble climbing hills with the cruise set? My Maxima handles hills so well with very little tranny downshifting (auto) that I am a little afraid of a 4-cylinder. All that downshifting can be annoying.

Automatic? I cannot speak from practical experience but I'll hop in a car when I get to work and give it a try.

No, you gotta hold the switch

No, it's a fixed duration

Chain. All i-VTEC engines are timing chains

No, I suppose the basic block is similar, but the domestic Accord engine uses a simpler i-VTEC system with no adjustment on the exhaust side cams

We don't sell Navi here in Hawaii, but from my occasional experiences at the Ride and Drive events, I think the Honda/Acura system is pretty easy to get familiar with quickly. Auto magazines have lots of praise for the ease of use of our system.

-Please forgive my ignorance to the Acura/Honda brand. I would appreciate answers to any or all of these questions. Everything I have seen so far about the TSX is very impressive. Thanks for your responses!

All the things you've mentioned you like about the TSX are true. On features alone it's a stunning car. However, I think you'll be even more impressed by the things that are not in the brochure. The general feel of the interior components are top notch. Touch the door panels, press the seat cushions, try to "wiggle" the center console. Everything has a firm 'screwed down' feel that screams quality.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 PM
10th Gear

Another thing I realized I needed to ask.. Do the rear seats fold down into the trunk area? I have used this a few times in my Maxima.

Thanks again for your replies! All of your input is appreciated!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by okmaxima
Another thing I realized I needed to ask.. Do the rear seats fold down into the trunk area? I have used this a few times in my Maxima.

Thanks again for your replies! All of your input is appreciated!
The rear seats fold down forward exposing the trunk area.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:39 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes! This is one of the main reason why I didn't buy the new TL. The seats fold down 60-40 although the actual opening into the trunk has a trapeziod shape to it and the 40% side is useless unless the item you are putting through is less than 6 inches wide.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:57 AM
TSX JIGALO

The rear seats fold down all the way down... nice for putting you bike or your other stuffs...This is one of the main points I was sold on this car.