Look at what the LEXUS people are saying about the ACURA brand!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by duugk
"Prestige:" How much are you willing to pay extra for that? What is it exactly? Do I want to be a person or part of a crowd of people that cares about that, should it be important to me? Obviously it is important to a lot of folks out there, and for them I say, go ahead, get a Lexus, BMW, MB, whatever floats your boat.

For me, I'll stick with Acura. As a family, we have over 500,000 miles logged in Honda's and have never been stranded or suffered any major mechanical failure. Reliability, value, service, fun to drive, not overpriced. I also like not having to negociate every little accessory.

Like someone said at the beginning, when you pay so much extra for "prestige" you find yourself having to justify it somehow. Bashing Acura is one way to make yourself feel better it seems. That's fine, I'm already happy with my penis size and don't need some form of augmentation. I hope Acura remains an understated quality type of image. Quiet competence.

my thoughts exactly. i could have said it in less words like you did and this way my point for the most part. the Lex owners seem to feel like they are trying to defend themselves for some reason.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

bwhahaha

people in this post are saying Lexus are rebadged Toyota's..which is true, but they are rebadged RWD,V8's that were originally luxury cars, while Acura takes FWD economy family cars from Honda and slaps on the acura badge....lets see...RWD V8's is somehow not as good as FWD family sedans when it comes to luxury cars. heck the echo must be the king of luxury cars and if rebadged as a lexus must sell like hotcakes .

there is no comparison between Acura and Lexus, one sells entry luxury cars exclusively, the other sells real luxury cars and entry luxury as well. I understand brand loyalty and such, but thinking rebadged FWD family cars are better luxury cars than RWD V8's with much higher quality interiors and features is absurd.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:54 PM

honda and toyota are really close in terms of quality and reliability, but that does not hold true in acura vs lexus and about technology...Lexus have A LOT more technology than Acura cars... what do acura's have? lexus have adaptive headlights (acura's can't even level themselves out), 6spd auto's, RWD sedans, V8's, adaptive suspensions, air suspension, rain sensing wipers, auto sunshades...heck just look at the LS, etc... but that is to be expected since Lexus costs more. Acura is in a lower level than lexus which is reflected in the differences in lineup of cars between the two makes. acura's most luxurous sedan (TL, RL is a non factor) is a FWD guissed up accord and plays in the entry level market and in the same class as the ENTRY (eg. lowest) level lexus, so the "best" sedan in the Acura lineup is in the same class as the "lowest" sedan in teh Lexus lineup which would obviously show the two brands are quite a distance apart with Acura the bottom and Lexus at the top.
The main problem for many of us here, IMO, is that Lexus had nothing to compete with the TSX
That is the point of our thread. Lexus DOES NOT want to compete in the sub30k market. That is what Toyota is for. Hell Nissan, Mazda, Kia, etc.
But they classify themselves better or equal to Mercedes and BMW
No every focking car expert in the world does. Have you read any magazines in the 90s?
im not saying at all that acura is better or even level with infiniti and lexus, but at least acura and infiniti dont split a large amount of 1 car in half and badge them differently
Dude, TL-American ACcord. TSX-Euro Accord. What on earth R U talking about?
the thing is many car buyers are very ignorant
U have just proven your own theory.
Like someone said at the beginning, when you pay so much extra for "prestige" you find yourself having to justify it somehow. Bashing Acura is one way to make yourself feel better it seems. That's fine, I'm already happy with my penis size and don't need some form of augmentation. I hope Acura remains an understated quality type of image. Quiet competence.
There is no Acura bashing in that thread. If you don't see the reason why to spend more for a LExus/BMW/Benz, that is cool. But to say it's just for a badge, it's silly. Then why not buy an Accord over a TL or TSX?
the Lex owners seem to feel like they are trying to defend themselves for some reason.
The thread starter asked what is wrong with Acura. We stated it's not a luxury car maker but an entry level one. We did not bash Acura. We gave our reasons on why we did or won't purchase one. Just as ya'll gave your reasons on why you won't buy a Lexus. Cool.

Ya'll are using the Prestige argument. Why buy an Acura over an Accord then? I think Accord owners would say the same things ya'll are saying.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by duugk
"Prestige:" How much are you willing to pay extra for that? What is it exactly? Do I want to be a person or part of a crowd of people that cares about that, should it be important to me? Obviously it is important to a lot of folks out there, and for them I say, go ahead, get a Lexus, BMW, MB, whatever floats your boat.

For me, I'll stick with Acura. As a family, we have over 500,000 miles logged in Honda's and have never been stranded or suffered any major mechanical failure. Reliability, value, service, fun to drive, not overpriced. I also like not having to negociate every little accessory.

some people like quality materials and good handling/road manners and some performance as well from time to time. these are luxury cars and things you can't get from Acura/Honda, simple as that, Acura does not offer cars with real luxury requirements, its not a matter of prestige... getting a MB S-class over a Lexus LS may be dued to prestige b/c they are have similar drivetrains (RWD, V8's, 6spd auto, loads of comfort features), but a Lexus over an Acura is not simply prestige, because it is difference betwween an economy car and a luxury car...do you want a FWD V6 family sedan or I4 FWD econosedan or I6 RWD/V8 RWD with way more features and higher quality of materials? there is no comparison.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Dudes........comparing Lexus and Acura is like comparing BMW and Mercedes. In a BMW you can get a manual tranny on just about any model in the lineup,not so in a Mercedes.BMW likes their drivers to hear whats going on under the hood and not be totally isolated from the driving experience.Mercedes has other opinions on their driving fun.
Acura and Lexus are the same way.Acura is a much sporty,driver orientated line of cars. Manual tranny's in every model and as all of us know....the sweetest linkage in the business. And like BMW Acura likes their drivers to hear the engine and the sweet sound of a high revving marvel of technology. Lexus on the other hand is like Grandma and Grandpa's sunday cruiser. As quiet as a sowing machine,almost as boring and not a manual tranny in the bunch. So no more of this comparison crap.We Acura owners know what we have and have purchased Acuras for the obvious reasons. They however ...just don't get the picture.If you are below 65 in age and you have purchased a Lexus it's clear that you are old before your time. Go take a nap.....haahaha.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 PM
More On

Originally posted by Johnny
Dudes........comparing Lexus and Acura is like comparing BMW and Mercedes.....
Acura and Lexus are the same way. Acura is a much sporty,driver orientated line of cars......
I think that really says it. I wouldn't be quick to just say that Lexus-buyers are paying so-and-so-much extra for "prestige" or for the name. Having cross-shopped Acura and Lexus, I would say mainly that they are different kinds of cars, and Lexus has things that are clearly higher-level than Acura, and I can see how people might regard it as classier. However, it's also true that to me, the Lexus that I might have considered, the ES330 (actually then the ES300), simply isn't a CAR, it's an executive office. I can see how many people would pay extra for that. Me, I wouldn't take it for less money.

I don't think it's fair to say the Lexus people are paying more just for prestige or name. They're getting certain extra things, and they're missing out on certain things that Acura people have. To them, that might be worth it.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 PM

Acura and Lexus are the same way.Acura is a much sporty,driver orientated line of cars. Manual tranny's in every model and as all of us know....the sweetest linkage in the business. And like BMW Acura likes their drivers to hear the engine and the sweet sound of a high revving marvel of technology. Lexus on the other hand is like Grandma and Grandpa's sunday cruiser. As quiet as a sowing machine,almost as boring and not a manual tranny in the bunch. So no more of this comparison crap.We Acura owners know what we have and have purchased Acuras for the obvious reasons. They however ...just don't get the picture.If you are below 65 in age and you have purchased a Lexus it's clear that you are old before your time. Go take a nap.....haahaha.
omg. What was the 1st gen SC series? What is the IS 300? The GS series? I don't even want to talk modifications. The Lexus aftermarket is much, much larger than the Acura aftermarket. You want boring, yes, you have the ES, LS and SUVs.

IMO, outside the NSX, I find Acura to be marketing sporty and providing a sporty ride but not sportier than Lexus. For goodness sakes, the cars are all FWD. The sporty 2-door CL is discontinued? Yes, Lexus has cars for people that do not want any sporty intentions, they have cars for people that do.
Dudes........comparing Lexus and Acura is like comparing BMW and Mercedes
Facts:
Acura Lexus
TSX 25-28kk
TL 32-38k IS 300 30-35k, ES 330 32-38k
RL 45k GS 300 45k
GS 430 48-55k
LS 430 55-70k
SC 430 62k
MDX 38-44k RX 330 37-48k
GX 470 48-55k
LX 470 70k
NSX 90k

Please explain how this makes equals. The car brands are on 2 different levels. If u think the cars are over-priced, wait till u shop BMW or Benz. True value is offering equal products and pricing one cheaper, not selling lesser products, calling it cheaper, then calling it a value.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
More On

That's right at least about the SC, sicklex, which is why I just said ES300/330.
About the IS300, a lot of other balls of wax are involved.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 PM
101 years of heartache...

u kno, i must say, that is a very good point. a beleive infiniti is the medium of the 2, as is audi in the german luxury masses. again, good point...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
omg. What was the 1st gen SC series? What is the IS 300? The GS series? I don't even want to talk modifications. The Lexus aftermarket is much, much larger than the Acura aftermarket. You want boring, yes, you have the ES, LS and SUVs.

IMO, outside the NSX, I find Acura to be marketing sporty and providing a sporty ride but not sportier than Lexus. For goodness sakes, the cars are all FWD. The sporty 2-door CL is discontinued? Yes, Lexus has cars for people that do not want any sporty intentions, they have cars for people that do. Facts:
Acura Lexus
TSX 25-28kk
TL 32-38k IS 300 30-35k, ES 330 32-38k
RL 45k GS 300 45k
GS 430 48-55k
LS 430 55-70k
SC 430 62k
MDX 38-44k RX 330 37-48k
GX 470 48-55k
LX 470 70k
NSX 90k

Please explain how this makes equals. The car brands are on 2 different levels. If u think the cars are over-priced, wait till u shop BMW or Benz. True value is offering equal products and pricing one cheaper, not selling lesser products, calling it cheaper, then calling it a value.
Get off your silly high horse, Isicklex. People buying "upscale" Japanese cars cross-shop Lexus AND Acura. Just because you don't doesn't really matter. The two brands do not precisely go head to head pricewise or modelwise but they do compete with one another in a broad fashion. You like Lexus products, we like Acura ones. Enuff of the horsesh*t. Also, do you really want to side with Gilbo in any sort of discussion?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:56 PM

Get off your silly high horse, Isicklex. People buying "upscale" Japanese cars cross-shop Lexus AND Acura
Sigh, I never said they didn't. They cross shop the 30-40k market mostly (clearly with the TSX, they cross shopped the IS 300). The RL is cross shopped with used LS 400s or new GS 300s. The MDX is cross shopped with the RX. Besides that, what can u cross-shop? Nothing over 45k? And that is if any idiot pays 45k for a RL (8k rebates down here). M45s (NEW) are going for 10k off list. That is a very tempting offer.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:58 PM
More On

If you value FWD, the Lexus that you cross shop against the TSX is ES300/330.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Racer

Sigh, I never said they didn't. They cross shop the 30-40k market mostly (clearly with the TSX, they cross shopped the IS 300). The RL is cross shopped with used LS 400s or new GS 300s. The MDX is cross shopped with the RX. Besides that, what can u cross-shop? Nothing over 45k? And that is if any idiot pays 45k for a RL (8k rebates down here). M45s (NEW) are going for 10k off list. That is a very tempting offer.
Sorry I ranted a bit. They both make nice cars, depends onwhatya want. I'd take a LS or ES but none of the other Lexus products appeal to me. And I'm not as convinced as you there's all that much difference prestige-wise between a RL and a LS. I think the endless "Lexus is better than Acura" and vice versa arguments are pointless. You will never convince me Toyota makes better products than Honda. I'm a Honda guy. Which brand you prefer depends a lot on which one "hooked" you early on through marketing and your own personal experiences.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I love my G sedan

My family owns both Lexus and Acura vehicles, so I should not be biased to either brand. Both of them have some strong and weak points. These are the things that I think good and inappropriate for them:

Lexus's strong points:
1. Concentrating and actually providing excellent ride comfort and luxuries.
2. Excellent customer services.
3. Impeccable reliability.

Lexus's weak points:
1. Lack of family look.
2. IS300 doesn't have a typical Lexus interior, way cheaper feel.
3. Too many SUVs, or LUVs, for a high prestige brand.
4. Not enough performance.

Acura's strong points:
1. Do not provide too many different packages to jack up the price, everything is included and save the hazzle of looking for the particular features the customers want.
2. The new TSX and TL's interior are really really impressive, somehow surpass the other's competitors' models in the same price range.
3. Have a very good looking front family look, except NSX.
4. Very reliable, although on paper not yet on par with Lexus.

Acura's weak points:
1. NSX is way overdue.
2. RSX should become Integra and wear a Honda badge instead.
3. No AWD or RWD in any of its sedans.
4. No V8 or V12 engine in any of its vehicles, thus giving customers a perception that it is not a true luxury brand.

These are the things I could think of right now. But regardless, I love both brands, along with Infiniti.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:17 PM

but none of the other Lexus products appeal to me.
Now this, I can understand.
Which brand you prefer depends a lot on which one "hooked" you early on through marketing and your own personal experiences.
Not me. I was loyal to Nissan (first car) but when it came time to move up, the Infiniti lineup blew monkey nuts. I've been so happy with Lexus, even with Infiniti's new products, it would be hard to go back.

SilverCL225hp, I can feel what u say.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Stokeless

lex's are ok but i think they are highly over rated. I'm not saying that they are bad cars at all but imho for you you get as features, performance, and styling i think Acura has Lex beat. Lexus sells to a much older crowd. Some guy think you have to spend alot of money to have a nice car...I disagree. I think my TSX Is the best car i have driven as in over all package. Decent power..(could use more and im working on that) handling is great, love the ride, styling is awesome both exterior and interior. But i would have to say that the interior is the best i have seen better than MB and MBW. And all for less than 30k with navi. Show me a Lex that can give you all that at that price...you cant. That is why Acura is where it is today known for great cars at an affordable price. Sure its coming out with a new RL that will be in the 45k range but thats just to satisfy all the loyal honda/acura owners i dont think its for a huge market place just fo those who have uped thier lifestyle and made a good career and can afford something that costs more and so acura is giving it to them. And as for the NSX ecen though it hasnt been redesigned in the last 10 years it still looks great and nothing Toyota/Lexus has can compete with it. not even the tt supra of old.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:43 PM
such a dirty birdy

Ya'll are using the Prestige argument. Why buy an Acura over an Accord then? I think Accord owners would say the same things ya'll are saying.
Honda won't sell me a 4dr Accord with a 6MT. Plus, the Accord has an ugly bum.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jcg878
Old 01-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro

Man, this is getting pretty long!!!
Anyway since I own both Acura and Lexus I really have to say that Lexus kinda started out in this game before Acura and Infiniti did. Actually Lexus just did what Ford done in about 30 years ago by creating another brand, but they did a lot of HW so that nothing went wrong.
To me I feel like Lexus leans towards the more luxury and older people side, and Acura leaned on the younger buyer and sportier image. For example, can you find any car that the current TSX owners would pick out of the Lexus's fleet? Just one the IS. However, if you look back into Acura's stable you'll see that there's more option RSX-S, or the TL.
Honda knows that they can't really compete with Toyota in the luxury markey right now so they aim towards sporty image. So does the Infiniti. I mean right now the RL just cannot keep up with LS. Maybe the old LS400 but not the current LS. RL just doesn't have the right engine, drive train, design, and everything.
Oh well Lexus had a head start, nothing more than that
Old 01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
More On

Originally posted by Maxboost
....Lexus kinda started out in this game before Acura and Infiniti did.....
Oh well Lexus had a head start, nothing more than that
Actually, I'm pretty sure Acura began before Lexus did. Acura hit the U.S. around '86, or '87 at the latest. Lexus, probably not till '89. I think '90 was its first model year.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:33 AM

Lexus sells to a much older crowd
No kidding, they are more expensive. Younger people have less income. The IS 300 has lowered the Lexus age as the GS series.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Acura began before Lexus did. Acura hit the U.S. around '86, or '87 at the latest. Lexus, probably not till '89. I think '90 was its first model year.
Yes, larchmont, you are correct. Acura came here in 1986 with the Legend and Integra. Lexus in 1989 with the ES 250 and LS 400.
not even the tt supra of old.
Egads, dude, you don't know much about the NSX/Supra do you?
Show me a Lex that can give you all that at that price...you cant.
Dude, Lexus does not want that market. So I agree, you have a lot of features for the money. I can ask you for 70k, what car matches the features of the LS 430, or SC 430? I can ask you how can the RL match the GS for 45k?

I can go for you bought your car b/c you felt it was a better value.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:46 AM
More On

.....I can go for you bought your car b/c you felt it was a better value.
I guess he refuses to believe that some people might just like the Acuras better.

P.S. They do.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Johnny
Dudes........comparing Lexus and Acura is like comparing BMW and Mercedes. In a BMW you can get a manual tranny on just about any model in the lineup,not so in a Mercedes.BMW likes their drivers to hear whats going on under the hood and not be totally isolated from the driving experience.Mercedes has other opinions on their driving fun.
bwhahahah...Acura sporty um lets see... any RWD cars..um nope...any AWD cars...um nope...any V8's..um nope...so what's there..FWD economy cars from Honda...okay...i guess you think civic's are the ultimate sportscompact too

this thread is great for a good laugh... so is the new kia optima the ultimate luxury car...econocar roots, cheap but tons of features and low low price... its sporty too because its FWD and got a V6. , and a longer warranty than Acura too... anybody who buys an acura dont know value and only buy it for the prestige:P
Old 01-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
bwhahahah...Acura sporty um lets see... any RWD cars..um nope...any AWD cars...um nope...any V8's..um nope...so what's there..FWD economy cars from Honda...okay...i guess you think civic's are the ultimate sportscompact too
Um...NSX...RWD, yup. Um, MDX...AWD, yup.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Pinky all stinky

You know Gilbo I had to correct you the other time with your assertion that the Toyota Tacoma comes with a V8, and now this. You are extremely sloppy, do your homework before you post.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by phile
Um...NSX...RWD, yup. Um, MDX...AWD, yup.
MDX is a sports-ute that is way below the RX in qualiyt..they sold 8 NSX's last year... Acura is a 2 car line up... TSX,TL and one suv MDX..unless you want to count the misbadged honda RSX..

TSX= I4, FWD
TL = V6, FWD
and we won't include cars that can't sell more than 15 in a year
so these are luxury cars????? lets not even talk about quality

lexus

IS=I6,RWD
ES= V6,FWD
GS=V6/V8, FWD
LS = V8,RWDWD
SC= V8, RWD

just looking at sedans, its clear Acura plays in the very BOTTOM of the lineup, eg. all entry cars=fixedup econoboxes

the more you people bring up the NSX, the more you point to how pathetic the brand/car is... for a car to sell less than 15 a year from a major carmaker just shows how bad the car is in the market...
Old 01-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

You know Gilbo I had to correct you the other time with your assertion that the Toyota Tacoma comes with a V8, and now this. You are extremely sloppy, do your homework before you post.
thanks for that...that's why i'm doing you a favour so you will know that Lexus is a luxury car maker and ACura is strictly an Entry luxury car maker.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Pinky all stinky

What the F--k is your point?!

You said Acura had no RWD, AWD cars. And you're wrong. That's all I'm saying. I don't even care to discuss what you think of Acura, you've said it a million times already. You're like the Macbeth of this board, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Pinky all stinky

thanks for that...that's why i'm doing you a favour so you will know that Lexus is a luxury car maker and ACura is strictly an Entry luxury car maker.
Right, Lexus relies on sales of sub 40K cars for profit, same as Acura, and it's a luxury car maker while Acura is entry luxury. Lexus's best sellers are the ES330 and RX330. Guess what? Acura's best sellers are the TL and MDX. Like I already posted, the Mercedes E-Class outsells the GS by a ratio of 5:1, the SC isn't even a blip on Mercedes's radar screen. The only reason the LS sells is because it's significantly cheaper than the S-Class. A fully loaded LS is priced only a few thousands more than a base model S-Class. Lexus plays second fiddle to Mercedes and BMW.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

since when did the drive train of a V8 and RWD or a hefty V6 and RWD define a car as luxary?
you know its funny you guys keep labeling acura as more of a sports car and keep bringing up the fact they dont have anything bigger than a V6 in their lineup. and all thgeir cars are FWD

not that im a fan of domestics but if memory serves me correctly cadillac, lincoln both have cars that IMO are definitly in a Luxary category and most of their cars are FWD.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

RWD and it's got a V8 - here's the definition of a luxury sports car. I here it's a killer in the twisties
Old 01-20-2004, 09:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

The only Lexus vehicles IMO that can be labelled as sporty are the IS and the SC. How anyone can claim the GS series is sporty is beyond me. I've always seen it as a boat. RWD does not immediately equal sporty. Just my opinion.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen a thread with so many stupid comments. That guys bashing Lexus for just rebadging Toyota's was a classic (Whisper: Maybe someone should explain to him where the the TSX's came from) But 1SICKLEX was'nt one of those stupid posters. Gilbo as usual provided us with us his brilliance.

RWD = GOOD
FWD = BAD

What a formula, thanks again Gilbo.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: What the F--k is your point?!

You said Acura had no RWD, AWD cars. And you're wrong. That's all I'm saying. I don't even care to discuss what you think of Acura, you've said it a million times already. You're like the Macbeth of this board, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
cars as in sedans... and i said i didnt consider a car that sold less than 15 in a year to be part of the lineup of a car company and i consider the MDX a SUV and not classified same as a car.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jcg878
RWD and it's got a V8 - here's the definition of a luxury sports car. I here it's a killer in the twisties
now you just have to add SUV to your vocabulary and you are all set for the autoworld
Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Right, Lexus relies on sales of sub 40K cars for profit, same as Acura, and it's a luxury car maker while Acura is entry luxury. Lexus's best sellers are the ES330 and RX330. Guess what? Acura's best sellers are the TL and MDX. Like I already posted, the Mercedes E-Class outsells the GS by a ratio of 5:1, the SC isn't even a blip on Mercedes's radar screen. The only reason the LS sells is because it's significantly cheaper than the S-Class. A fully loaded LS is priced only a few thousands more than a base model S-Class. Lexus plays second fiddle to Mercedes and BMW.
Lexus plays secon fiddle to MB and BMW, i agree somewhat...so Acura plays second fiddle to Lexus.. simple as that... say all you want about the GS, LS, SC... they are still there and sell much better than the 15 a year NSX or RL... in other words...there ARE luxury car in the Lexus lineup whether you like them or not and they SELL more than the RL or NSX ever could. Acura has NO luxury cars even if you want to buy them or not..simple as that... there is no luxury car for sale from ACura... has can a carmaker be considered a luxury car maker when they sell no luxury cars???????
Old 01-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I agree with you domn, unless you're referring to my stupid comments

I will concede that Lexi are more luxurious than Acuras, both by reputation and design. And Acura is a luxury car company catering to the entry-level with value-driven packages, trying to move up (I think - they're not trying very hard). But while I do connect Lexus with luxury, I've never connected it with sporty (with the exceptions domn mentioned) - I do for Acura. Maybe that's just me.

I also concede that I've never driven a GS, so if it's a Viper in disguise I wouldn't know.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by domn

RWD = GOOD
FWD = BAD

What a formula, thanks again Gilbo.
i didnt look to see where he lives but as i type this ready to leave for work im looking at the snow that fell on the ground last night.
im realising i have to go to work and drive in it.
ill admidt that with the low profile tires even FWD doesnt help the TSX much in snow but i would much rather be driving a FWD than a RWD today.
ill also note that since the IS300 came out i would bet you i have seen less than 5 of them on the road in the last 4 years or however long its been since they came out.

i think this is important to this discussion because not everyone lives in sunny california and there are lots of people that would not be caught outside in the snow driving a lot of the lexus cars discussed here.

i know you will argue that knowing how to drive a RWD in the snow comes down to the driver knowing how to handel it but we have hills here that i have seen on many occasions when people make it 1/2 way up and start to slide backwards back down the hill on the ice. having the weight of the engine oover top the drive wheels helps get your car up the hill in this case and therefore in colorado most prefer FWD cars. call them sport or Luxary it's somthing that definitly comes into consideration when buying any car here.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Yeah..

Let me ask ya a question Gilbo... if the BMW 330 had a FWD variant that cost a couple of grand less than the RWD version but came with all the same bells & whistles as the RWD version...would you consider the FWD variant a luxury car?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Pinky all stinky

Lexus plays secon fiddle to MB and BMW, i agree somewhat...so Acura plays second fiddle to Lexus.. simple as that... say all you want about the GS, LS, SC... they are still there and sell much better than the 15 a year NSX or RL... in other words...there ARE luxury car in the Lexus lineup whether you like them or not and they SELL more than the RL or NSX ever could. Acura has NO luxury cars even if you want to buy them or not..simple as that... there is no luxury car for sale from ACura... has can a carmaker be considered a luxury car maker when they sell no luxury cars???????
I noticed you picked NSX and RL...two of Acura's aging designs, how convenient. The RL is a luxury car, whether you like it or not. It's as simple as that. I never said the GS LS SC aren't luxury cars; I was merely stating that Lexus, even though you consider them luxury and not Acura, sells to the same demographic that Acura does. Simply because they build more expensive cars is irrelevant when those cars don't sell as well as cars from MB or BMW; they're still selling primarily to customers who are also shopping Acura, but yet you are adamant the two brands are just miles apart.

Quick Reply: Look at what the LEXUS people are saying about the ACURA brand!!