Locked Out w/ Keys Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005 | 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation Locked Out w/ Keys Inside!

I went to the gym and left my keys in the glove compartment. After my workout the car was locked w/ my keys inside!!. Fortunately I got a ride home to get my spare keys.. I'm trying to understand what the heck I did wrong in order to prevent it from happening again (Does the car lock irself? If so, when?). Feedback appreciated and thanks for your patience!!

Louie :gheywave:
Old 03-05-2005 | 11:37 PM
Banned

i noticed the car does lock itself but i don't know any details about when.
Old 03-05-2005 | 11:40 PM
Intermediate

I'm certain i dindt lock the car, as I've done this before(Leaving keys hidden in car), However this time the car locked me out!
Louie
Old 03-06-2005 | 10:28 AM
Advanced

When you use your key fob unlock the door of your car, but you didn't open the door within 15~30 sec, the car will lock the door itself.
But if you open the door after you press unlock of the key fob, it won't lock it itself afterward.
Old 03-06-2005 | 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Whats Fob?
Thanks
Old 03-06-2005 | 12:01 PM
Banned

it just refers to teh remote thing i guess...don't know if it stands for anything
Old 03-06-2005 | 12:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by palmspringsesq
Whats Fob?
Thanks
From Webster:
Word: fob
Pronunciation: 'fäb
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): fobbed; fob·bing
Etymology: Middle English fobben
archaic : DECEIVE, CHEAT
Old 03-06-2005 | 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Whats Fob?
Thanks
I guess I must ask how do you normally lock and unlock your car? If you manually use the lock button and pull up on the door handle you can easily lock your keys in if they are not in the ignition. You can avoid this, by using the remote lock/unlock buttons on the key fob. Here is a key fob.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20747
Old 03-06-2005 | 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Usually always use the remote. Perhaps I accidentally locked it myself.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2005 | 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Question

I'm still not sure how this works.....Need more help!..Pardon my ignorance and thanks for your patience!
Louis
Old 03-06-2005 | 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

HONDA....Auto lock after 30 seconds if you dont open the door in time after pushing unlock.

Now if you just leave the car without doing anything...like just leave the car with doors shut and dont lock.....It will lock in 5-10...I think 10 min.

Thats generally how it works. My accord 01 EXV6 also shuts the lights off after 20-30 seconds if I leave them on.
Old 03-06-2005 | 03:04 PM
Registered to Vote!

I went to the gym and left my keys in the glove compartment. After my workout the car was locked w/ my keys inside!!. Fortunately I got a ride home to get my spare keys.. I'm trying to understand what the heck I did wrong in order to prevent it from happening again (Does the car lock irself? If so, when?). Feedback appreciated and thanks for your patience!!
What you did wrong was leave your keys in the car.

How do you prevent this? don't leave your keys in the car.
Old 03-06-2005 | 03:05 PM
Intermediate

I absoulutely agree about leaving the keys in the car!. Just trying to understand how the functions work
Louie
Old 03-07-2005 | 01:28 PM
Intermediate

you left your keys in the car, unlocked, when you left it in a public parking lot? To each their own, but that was your first problem. Second, it is possible someone else saw your door unlocked and locked it for you (good Samaritan).
Old 03-07-2005 | 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by patuww
you left your keys in the car, unlocked, when you left it in a public parking lot? To each their own, but that was your first problem. Second, it is possible someone else saw your door unlocked and locked it for you (good Samaritan).

The Second I doubt, the First I agree w/

Dont leave ur car unlocked w/ the keys in it, not a great move...

Well anyway the Car automatically locks after a specified amount of time as everyone else has already said

Another Interesting thing Is that you can open the trunk, w/ out unlocking the car, I found this out after putting a new air compresser in my trunk(God I love cosco's ) and accidently setting my Keys down in the trunk as well, then interestingly enough, the trunk locks when closed, now effectively leaving me locked out...
Old 03-07-2005 | 03:31 PM
VV "Precision Crafted" VV

There could only be two explanations I think could have happened:

1) You parked, put your keys in the glove compartment, opened the driver's door and pressed the autolock button on the driver's door WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT and closed the door. My guess is that this is what happened.

or

2) Someone else could have locked the door for you after you left.

On the TSX, the doors will automatically lock itself if you do not open the vehicle doors within 30 seconds of pressing the unlock on your remote. This is the only time it will lock itself. If the doors are opened at any time (and closed again), the auto lock will not engage and the car will remain unlocked.
Old 03-07-2005 | 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MemRheins

Another Interesting thing Is that you can open the trunk, w/ out unlocking the car, I found this out after putting a new air compresser in my trunk(God I love cosco's ) and accidently setting my Keys down in the trunk as well, then interestingly enough, the trunk locks when closed, now effectively leaving me locked out...
Just went outside and tried it myself on the car.

If the car is locked and you only press the trunk release on the remote, the trunk will open, but as it is opening, you can here the controls locking again. So if you do accidentally set your keys down in the trunk and close it, you will be locked out.

If you press the unlock key twice on the remote, thus unlocking all of the doors, you can manually open the trunk or remote open it with the button. But keep in mind, if you don't open any of the doors of the car, the car will auto lock in 30 sec. So you can still lock your keys if you set it in the trunk.

Now, if you unlock the car and open any of the doors, this will not happen since the autolock feature is now disengaged.

The key is that if the car doors are opened, the auto lock within 30 sec. will not work.
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:30 PM
Banned

you're not telling us the whole story here
Old 03-07-2005 | 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
Now if you just leave the car without doing anything...like just leave the car with doors shut and dont lock.....It will lock in 5-10...I think 10 min.

That is NOT true with 2004 TSX !!! I know that much.
(you got a TSX ???)
Old 03-07-2005 | 05:38 PM
Advanced

HONDA....Auto lock after 30 seconds if you dont open the door in time after pushing unlock.

Thats generally how it works. My accord 01 EXV6 also shuts the lights off after 20-30 seconds if I leave them on.

The TSX does not automatically lock the doors after a period of time if you do not press the button on the keyless entry/ alarm fob.

Read the owners manual... That is why it is supplied with the vehicle.....

The only "auto anything" the car does is turn off the headlights..
Old 03-07-2005 | 05:49 PM
Just dial 1911

This is true. I have done this myself.

This is I leave my car unlocked overnight in my garage and it stays that way when I get in the next morning.
Old 03-07-2005 | 05:59 PM
Racer

I have a somewhat related question...can you lock the doors with your fob while the trunk is open?
Old 03-07-2005 | 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Master47
I have a somewhat related question...can you lock the doors with your fob while the trunk is open?
Yes,

But keep in mind that if you lock the doors, your trunk release button will also be locked. So when you close the trunk, you won't be able to open it by pressing the trunk release button on the car. You to use the remote to open the trunk again.

Now, if you unlock all of the doors with your remote, you can now manually open the trunk using the button on the car.
Old 03-07-2005 | 09:27 PM
Driver/Detailer

My Accord Euro (Aus-spec TSX) does auto lock after 30 seconds if I unlock it with the fob, and NOT do anything. If I open the door and close, then it doesn't auto lock. So it is quite unlikely that the car locked itself after you put your keys in the glovebox because you would need to open the door to get out.
Old 03-07-2005 | 09:29 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by sabby
The TSX does not automatically lock the doors after a period of time if you do not press the button on the keyless entry/ alarm fob.

Read the owners manual... That is why it is supplied with the vehicle.....

The only "auto anything" the car does is turn off the headlights..
Actually, the car also turns off the reading lights and also the main cabin compartment lights if you leave it on and lock the car.
I wonder what if you leave the door ajar though. The lights might not auto-off.
Old 03-08-2005 | 01:46 PM
Banned

haha I was just thinking....can you imagine what a BIG ASS fucking lawsuit this could be if the manufacturer were dumb enough to do this ?
Old 03-08-2005 | 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Ok...let's get a few things straight here...

1. The TSX does not lock automatically after shutting down the engine
2. The TSX does auto lock if you unlock the doors using the remote but do not open a door within 30 seconds
3. The TSX does auto shut-off lights 15 seconds after the driver door is shut
4. The TSX trunk is a relay and is a quick on off switch and does not operate on the same circuit as the door locks
5. If you leave your keys in the ignition, you cannot lock the front doors

Now, for the original poster, you must have locked the doors somehow upon leaving. That's it. The car did not lock itself.
Old 03-08-2005 | 02:13 PM
Banned

5. If you leave your keys in the ignition, you cannot lock the front doors
you can by pushing in the tabs from one of the other doors.
Old 03-08-2005 | 02:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by matelot
you can by pushing in the tabs from one of the other doors.
No, you can't. If you leave your keys in the ignition and press down on the door lock tab, it will spring back up. This only applies to the front doors. If you don't believe me, try it. My sales guy at the dealership showed me that when I bought the car almost 2 years ago.
Old 03-08-2005 | 02:32 PM
Banned

you try it

have the spare with you - you been warned.
Old 03-08-2005 | 02:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by matelot
you try it
I have tried it. You try it now.
Old 03-12-2005 | 07:26 AM
Intermediate

I think DJDZ is correct with # 1!
Thanks
Old 03-12-2005 | 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aaronng
Actually, the car also turns off the reading lights and also the main cabin compartment lights if you leave it on and lock the car.
I wonder what if you leave the door ajar though. The lights might not auto-off.
nope...when someone detailed my car they left that back light on and it completely burned out my battery...i was so pissed having to jumpstart my car first day of the semester at 8am in the morning.