Less then 2 month old wiper refills... Same problem as before

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009 | 05:20 PM
Cruisin'

Less then 2 month old wiper refills... Same problem as before

Hi everyone,
Back in October I got new wipes rubbers for the TSX from the dealer because the old one was squeaking when ever it went up and down no matter how much rain there was. I thought the rubber was blown so I got new ones. First time we used it for a couple miles *not a lot of rain here* it worked fine. However, now I noticed that it started to squeak again. What's the problem?! It cleans fine, but the squeaking is so annoying. It didn't do this when we installed the wipers, I checked. Should we take it back to the dealer or what? I don't want to repalce the wipers since the design and I do not want to put a lot of money into the wipers for new OEM blades.
Thanks
Kumar
Old 12-10-2009 | 11:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by akk944
Hi everyone,
Back in October I got new wipes rubbers for the TSX from the dealer because the old one was squeaking when ever it went up and down no matter how much rain there was. I thought the rubber was blown so I got new ones. First time we used it for a couple miles *not a lot of rain here* it worked fine. However, now I noticed that it started to squeak again. What's the problem?! It cleans fine, but the squeaking is so annoying. It didn't do this when we installed the wipers, I checked. Should we take it back to the dealer or what? I don't want to repalce the wipers since the design and I do not want to put a lot of money into the wipers for new OEM blades.
Thanks
Kumar
I have this issue as well. No matter how new the rubber inserts on, they quickly (less than a month) start chattering/squeeking across the glass. However, this ONLY happens on my passenger side wiper. The funny thing is that I actually had BOTH wiper arms (and blades) replaced under warranty for this exact same issue. And yet, the issue still remains. It may be a bad design, but I would go to the dealership. If that doesn't work, you might have to consider buying a new blade assembly. However, if the problem is the actual tension on the arm, then it's going to be a lot more expensive.
Old 12-11-2009 | 08:59 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Clean your windshield VERY well to remove any built-up silicone or grime that might be causing the new blades to chatter or squeak. I'd recommend a strong automotive glass cleaner applied and wiped off as normal, and then use a microfiber cloth and clean water to do a final wipe-down. Clean the blades (even if brand new) with a bit of washer fluid on a lint-free cloth (not a paper towel). This should stop most squeaking/chattering.

Lastly, never run the wipers 'dry'. Always use the washer fluid nozzles to wet the windshield first, even if its a light drizzle... using the wipers on a dry-to-almost-dry windshield can cause micro scratches on the windshield (caused by tiny dirt particles or dust on the windshield), and can very quickly degrade the rubber blades in the same manner.
Old 12-11-2009 | 10:26 AM
still plays with cars

The "new" blades you bought from the dealer are probably as old as the ones you replaced having been in stock on the shelf how long? And the ones hanging on pegs at AutoZone and all the other big box stores are just as bad. Wish I knew the answer.
Maybe get friendly with your NAPA supplier and ask for a special order ...

And really cleaning the windshield helps - the crud that gets sprayed on at car washes just accumulates and makes a big mess. I use a spray cleaner from Stoner - think it's called invisible Glass.
Old 12-14-2009 | 09:55 AM
Needs to clean up

Instead of the regular rubber inserts, see if you can get a silicone blade. Those will last much longer and provide better sweep. Wal-mart used to have a Triple edge silicone blades which I have used and some of them have lasted upto 3 years whereas the typical rubber ones have gone bad by 3-4 months. On one of my vehicles I needed a 26" blade for driver side and a smaller on passenger. Since I could find one the triple edge for driver side I used a rubber blade and it was squeaking and streaking by 4 months, where as the passenger side was good as new. I replaced the driver side after that with a silicone blade and everything was good again.
Old 12-14-2009 | 11:24 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Hey, OP, what year TSX do you have? Can't tell if you have the 2004/2005 wiper assembly or the 2006/2007/2008 ICON style wiper.

Ditto on cleaning the windscreen, I keep it clean with Stoners Invisible Glass and ArmorAll auto glass (a gift), use a paper towel then finish with a microfiber cloth. I also clean it before driving through the rain ... a dirty windshield doesn't let water roll off it as easily, and also increases wear on the wipers.

Most wipers are stored with a little oil on them, ensure you wipe them with an isopropyl alcohol swab (sometimes included in wiper blade replacements) before installation.

If you have the older style wiper assemblies, you may be able to buy and install the later ICON style. In another thread on wiper blade replacement (search is your friend), I specified all the part numbers.

Best of luck....
Old 12-31-2009 | 07:26 PM
5th Gear

Change to Bosch icons. I gave up on the Honda blades years ago...no chatter ever with the icons.
Old 12-31-2009 | 07:50 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

^+1