View Poll Results: Non preforated parts, real leather or vynol?
Leather
32.39%
Pleather
67.61%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Leather or Pleather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikki
Yes BMW uses leatherette as the standard upholstery but they have leather as an option.
It's that way because some people just don't want leather.
No, it's that way because the car starts out kind of overpriced, and then they can charge a lot for each additional item. Leather, upgraded stereo, xenons, etc.

I had considered a 325i when I was shopping, but I felt like it was a real tradeoff. I'd have to cheap out on everything and I'd still be paying a lot more than the TSX. It kinda put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Many people actually prefer the leatherette, and I can tell you when I test drove one with leatherette it was very nice.
The BMW leatherette it 10 times nicer than the TSX leather.
I wouldn't call it very nice. It was a fine plastic interior, better than an economy car, but surprisingly bland for what is supposed to be a luxury sedan. I know, it's probably that German philosophy of being seriously down to business, all about the driving, etc., but the interior is just a let-down, at least at the low-end. I looked at a parchment interior, though -- perhaps I would have preferred the black.

About Nikki not wanting the TSX, I don't have a problem with that. It's not all that unusual to not realize certain things that bug you after you've had it for a while. Eventually, you kind of learn to try to pay attention to more things as you test drive for the next time....
Old 11-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Yes BMW uses leatherette as the standard upholstery but they have leather as an option.
Many people actually prefer the leatherette, and I can tell you when I test drove one with leatherette it was very nice.
Well I can safely say that in my 10 years in the business, I've nevcr met one of them. Most people prefer cloth to vinyl. At least cloth breathes and is nicely grippy for spirited driving. It seems to me like the evolution of seats goes from natural materials (before plastic was invented) to vinyl seats (we responded with seat covers), to optional cloth seats (we responded with sheepskin covers), to leather (now a full circle). The germans have now moved us back to vinyl.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Colin
Well I can safely say that in my 10 years in the business, I've nevcr met one of them. Most people prefer cloth to vinyl. At least cloth breathes and is nicely grippy for spirited driving. It seems to me like the evolution of seats goes from natural materials (before plastic was invented) to vinyl seats (we responded with seat covers), to optional cloth seats (we responded with sheepskin covers), to leather (now a full circle). The germans have now moved us back to vinyl.
Well if anyone here has seen and felt the leatherette on the new 3 series they would know what I mean.
If you go over to a bmw website there are several discussions on why many members actually prefer the leatherette.
Some of their reasoning was that it feel and looks similar to leather, it is cheaper, no one would ever know it is leatherette besides the owner, it is easier to clean, it wears better, no animals are hurt in the making, etc.
I don't have leatherette so I can't really vouch for any of that besides the first two reasons; it is cheaper, and it does look and feel similar.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

>> no animals are hurt in the making

I had a big thick chop for supper, I hope no animals were hurt
Old 11-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Some of their reasoning was that it feel and looks similar to leather, it is cheaper
STOP right there! :gheylaugh:

You have your answer!

Nobody wants vinyl seats over leather seats except the most outspoken card carrying PETA member. :gheyfight:

They're not "reasoning" they're "rationalizing"