View Poll Results: Non preforated parts, real leather or vynol?
Leather
32.39%
Pleather
67.61%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Leather or Pleather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
The only reason I care whats what is because I need to know where to use my lexol (leather stuff) and 303 on the seats.

From what I have read, Lexol on the perforated parts,....303 on everything else? People are saying different things about the bolsters though.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
The only reason I care whats what is because I need to know where to use my lexol (leather stuff) and 303 on the seats.

From what I have read, Lexol on the perforated parts,....303 on everything else? People are saying different things about the bolsters though.
The front of the bolsters are leather, the sides are vinyl.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT

You use the same products I do. Without trying to perpetuate the discussion, which no one will ever settle, I use Lexol on the perforated parts and 303 on the bolsters and rest of the interior and so far it's worked great. I started doing this on my first Acura in 98 because of the vinyl/leather mix and the seats look like new in spite of my dog getting in dirty and wet every day after her walk/swim. They only look good when I occasionaly clean them though.

It looks like the bolster issue will never be settled on this forum so you'll have to make up your own mind.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by feliz
It looks like the bolster issue will never be settled on this forum so you'll have to make up your own mind.
Why do you say this! I sell these for a freaking living. I tell my clients how to care for their cars and I can easily tell the difference.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
Why do you say this! I sell these for a freaking living. I tell my clients how to care for their cars and I can easily tell the difference.
I respectfully disagree with you. In spite of your positive contributions to this forum I would never take a car salesman's opinion on anything. I sold cars for a living!!

I follow several Acura forums for years and many other Acura sales people have stated on the forums the opposite that your stating. You're actually the first one I've seen saying the bolsters are leather!! When the people selling the cars can agree I'll take your word for it. Anyway...I'm not goint to change your mind and you won't change mine, so what's the point. I've stated my reasons for my opinion in earlier posts, we're all capable of forming our own opinion aren't we? Regards.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Racer

I think the bolsters that touch your body are leather. vinyl just doesn't wrinkle quite like that in my experience
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You people are nuts.....

Every part of the seat you sit on is leather, both parts. Only the sides and seatbacks are vinyl.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Advanced

I want to believe its leather....

I emailed the folks at Montclair Acura - hell, they sponsor this site so they can't be so bad. Here's my question:

Sent: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 4:15:40 PM

Why is the leather advertised as "leather trim?" Does this mean that certain parts are leather and others are pleather/vinyl/leatherette?

The response:

This vehicle is all leather. No pleather/vinyl/leatherette in this vehicle.

For whatever it's worth...
Old 11-10-2005, 05:08 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I've stated my reasons for my opinion in earlier posts, we're all capable of forming our own opinion aren't we? Regards.
For the record, other leathersmiths (is that a real word?) have come to different conclusions and believe the top/face of the side bolsters are indeed leather. IMO it's very easy to tell (just by feel) that the face of the side bolsters and the bottoms/backs are indeed different material. The face is definitely thicker and less flexible than the bottoms and sides. I've been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the entire seating surface -- including the face of the side bolsters -- of the seats of my '00 S2000 and they are holding up well. I use Lexol VinylX for the vinyl surfaces.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ yeah, every part you touch and sit on is leather. I mean think about the logic of the website:

The RL is their flagship car, its 50k and theres no way its not going to have good leather. Yet, if you notice they don't mention anything about leather in the interior specs. They don't even say its leather seats. This simply means its implied that its a standard feature that doesn't even require mentioning.

However, the TL, TSX and RSX all mention per-leather trimmed. This is just saying that this is an added feature taht not only do you get leather, you get per-ferated leather. Think about it....

If the TSX did have fake leather on it, the RL's interior features would've stated "Leather seats." they wouldn't distinct per-leather trimmed if it wasn't a positive feature
Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wesleyl524
Montclair Acura's response:

This vehicle is all leather. No pleather/vinyl/leatherette in this vehicle.
That's the flat wrong and probably based in ignornace (or laziness). It also clearly shows the difference between the typical car salesman (this person who replied to you) and the atypical salesman that actually cares about the facts (Colin).
Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Racer

The front of the bolsters are leather, the sides are vinyl.
Now it's really confusing. The front of the bolster is leather but the sides of the bolsters are vinyl according to Colin??? An acura dealer is saying the entire car is leather??? A leathersmith says the bolsters are all leather but the sides are vinyl??? The mystery continues.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

The mystery continues.
One reason this is so confusing is that it's not easy to convey what part of the seat we're talking about. I agree with you when you said this, "only the actual seating surface is leather and the remainder vinyl." But I contend that includes more than just the perforated area of the seat. After all, you'd have to be really skinny for that to be the only part of you that touches the seat.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:34 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So cars like Lexus and BMW do the same for leather trimmed interior?

Leather trimmed means the seat surfaces are leather. This includes the center section (perforated or not) and the area adjacent to it (bolster). As soon as it turns the corner towards the floor or seatback, it's vinyl. In otherwords, where ever you touch when seated.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
6MT or Death

You can tell if a BMW has fake leather cuz it kinda smells like crayons. Especially the older ones.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by STL
After all, you'd have to be really skinny for that to be the only part of you that touches the seat.
Well, I am skinny

I MAY depend on what cars we're talking about as well, I don't even have a TSX.

I had a really good look at my cars today and the bolsters on my non per CL definately are not leather, the material is totally different, at least according my eye.

The TL I wouldn't argue about, I just couldn't tell the difference and my MDX looks to me like it has leather bolsters but this is one that had a lot of discussion on the forums and it was generally concluded, even by Acura sales reps, that the bolsters are vinyl.

Anyway, if it's an Acura it's all good no matter what the material. By the way, my salesman admits he just doesn't know.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

Well whether you think it is leather or not,
the fact that it is such a higly debated subject tells you something about the quality.
If the seats didn't look and feel like vinyl then maybe people wouldn't suggest that they are.
Compared to other cars with real leather, the TSX seats feel like plastic.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
The mystery continues.
LOL. Someone should write Acura Canada and demand to know what is what on the seats,........then maybe we would know once and for all.

Anyone know if I can use 303 on the entire doors of my TSX? I mean besides the elbow pad thing and the perforated parts (did anyone agree what those were?). The bottom parts where you can hit with your shoe if you are not careful getting in and around the speakers etc???
Old 11-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMQ
So cars like Lexus and BMW do the same for leather trimmed interior?
I can't say for sure on all these, especially since they could be different between lines. (C class vs. S class).

For all you TSX owners: Pick up your rear headrest. The front is leather, the sides and back are vinyl. Compare the feel of these and then compare the side bolster face (front) to the sides (by the pwr seat controls). I really think once you know what to look for it is easy to tell.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:02 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nikki
Compared to other cars with real leather, the TSX seats feel like plastic.
So have you finally sold your TSX?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:04 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I really think once you know what to look for it is easy to tell.
I totally agree, and I really wonder why we've had so much debate on this.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by STL
So have you finally sold your TSX?
You can't deny the fact that the TSX's seats don't feel like leather.
I have a few offers on my car so far but I haven't sold it yet.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:51 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

You can't deny the fact that the TSX's seats don't feel like leather.
I think most people would disagree with that statement -- and I'm one of them. Maybe you want your seats to feel like a big poofy leather couch, but I don't want that in a sporty sedan.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:59 AM
6MT or Death

Setting aside the feel there's the concept of smell. Ever been in a cheap BMW outfitted with that sweet pleather? Smells like crayons. What does the inside of your TSX smell like? Leather or crayons? I bet leather.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

whats leatherette, cause thats what BMW uses in their cars...
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

lol...pwned...BMW openly states the the upholstery is leatherette...

Looked up leatherette - it is imitation leather coming from platic or cloth

Which means...that those saying bmw has real leather and tsx has crap....is completely bogus....cause if u got to bmw.com, it says....Leatherette upholstery.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by acn684
lol...pwned...BMW openly states the the upholstery is leatherette...

Looked up leatherette - it is imitation leather coming from platic or cloth

Which means...that those saying bmw has real leather and tsx has crap....is completely bogus....cause if u got to bmw.com, it says....Leatherette upholstery.

Yes BMW uses leatherette as the standard upholstery but they have leather as an option.
It's that way because some people just don't want leather.
Many people actually prefer the leatherette, and I can tell you when I test drove one with leatherette it was very nice.
The BMW leatherette it 10 times nicer than the TSX leather.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The BMW leatherette it 10 times nicer than the TSX leather.
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I find it tough to compare two different materials
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Does anyone not understand that there are different grades of leather?

Most Japanesse and Domestic leather equipped autos use a sprayed on or painted like type of leather (for color). While most German autos and higher end makes use a dyed type leather.

The super soft glove type leather that has some grain in the pattern is dyed type leather. Our TSX uses the lesser "color" on top type leather. You can use cheaper leather for this, hides with more imperfections since you will hide the grain and such.

The TSX is all leather inside, we have some slight snaggs in the leather in our backseat in some of off corners from previous owner use, hardly noticable but enough to prove it's leather. When snagged it looks just like the perf holes in the inserts.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I find it tough to compare two different materials
The TSX seats are plastic feeling. They are very slippery and neither plush nor firm.
The 3 series leatherette seats feel more rubbery. They are very grippy and firm.
The 3 series leather seats feel a little plusher, somewhat grippy but not rubbery.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The TSX seats are plastic feeling. They are very slippery and neither plush nor firm.
The 3 series leatherette seats feel more rubbery. They are very grippy and firm.
The 3 series leather seats feel a little plusher, somewhat grippy but not rubbery.
I see

I like the TSX seats, good mix of sport and comfort with real leather,

On sort of a side note, my buddy just bought a 325cic, he took my my other friend for a ride and after my friend got out he gets into my car and start telling me how much more he likes the TSX
Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Wow, you really can tell the difference between the sides and the top face. If you look at the seems between the top non-perf and the side non-perf the materials are definitely different.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I see

I like the TSX seats, good mix of sport and comfort with real leather,

On sort of a side note, my buddy just bought a 325cic, he took my my other friend for a ride and after my friend got out he gets into my car and start telling me how much more he likes the TSX
I agree, that the TSX is a great car, that is until you drive it.
Everyone compliments me on how great it was, especially for the money.
The few friends that have driven it were somewhat unimpressed though.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I agree, that the TSX is a great car, that is until you drive it.
Everyone compliments me on how great it was, especially for the money.
If you feel thay way (about the car you bought) then what does it say about yourself? It seems to imply you weren't smart enough to drive it before you bought it -- or you were dumb enough buy it anyway. I'm not sure I've ever met a person more bitter than yourself. It's like you are on a crusade to tell everyone how "terrible" the TSX is just because you've now decided you want something else.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I had the dealership leave the plastic covers on my seats, so I don't know what the leather feels like.

Why BUY seat covers, when the car comes from the factory with plastic seat covers!!??!!

j/k
Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Compared to what? A 330? Get real.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by STL
If you feel thay way (about the car you bought) then what does it say about yourself? It seems to imply you weren't smart enough to drive it before you bought it -- or you were dumb enough buy it anyway. I'm not sure I've ever met a person more bitter than yourself. It's like you are on a crusade to tell everyone how "terrible" the TSX is just because you've now decided you want something else.
Don't judge my character, you don't know me.
I'm sorry I didn't autocross the thing on my test drive.
The main reason for me selling the car, however, is not the way it drives.
I am selling it because I don't fit in the seats.
I slide all around in them and they are uncomfortable.
The bolster is also in the way of me shifting.
Things like that you don't always notice right away but start to bug you later.
The only driving aspects I don't like about it didn't affect me when I bought it in Connecticut.
It can't make u-turns and it is boring to drive on flat straight roads in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
I didn't have those problems up north.
Down here I have to make u-turns all the time and there is a lot of traffic.
Driving a Honda in traffic is boring because it doesn't have enough low-end to be fun at low rpms.
A car with more torque is fun to drive and easier to drive in traffic because I don't have to downshift as much since I have power at lower rpms, and it saves gas milege too.
I loved stretching out the gears in my TSX up north, but I just can't down here.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Just dial 1911

it is boring to drive on flat straight roads in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Intresting. I think driving in b-to-b traffic is boring enough, shouldnt have to do with the car you drive. Makes no sense.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joerockt
Intresting. I think driving in b-to-b traffic is boring enough, shouldnt have to do with the car you drive. Makes no sense.
I explained why a few lines after that.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:28 PM
6MT or Death

Well I guess it's going to be true for some that after driving they wouldn't buy it. If everyone did there'd me no more TSXs for us to love and horde. On the same note when I was introduced to the TSX in 04 My roommate was looking for a car and I told him he was an imbecile for buying the TSX. I told him it had no power and it was boring, why not buy the TL? He ended up going with the TSX and after I first rode in the car I was completely sold it was a good buy. Then I took it for a drive and decided I had to have one. It's bad to ever make a generalization. Even if the majority of people think a certain way it doesn't mean all people do. Remember us idiots.

Quick Reply: Leather or Pleather?