K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N air filter

Has anyone used a K&N air filter in their TSX? I always heard they allow too much dirt through them but a co worker swears by them. Any opinions?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
k&n was/is really popular. But all of my k&n filters look as if they let alot in (if you look up close, you can see through the holes in the filter). k&n even says that the filter works best when it's dirty (I guess it plugs up some of the holes?)

On my accord, I see crap in my intake pipe...I have to dust it off from time to time. I'm not going to ever put one on my new TSX. There's a different company that makes better filters, but I can't remember the name off of the top of my head.

I suppose k&n is popular because it's less restrictive (which implies it lets alot go through it). More power = excited people. If I was still into power, I'd do k&n. But now I'm into prolonging engine life.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

something I read in letest sport compact mag was paper element = 98% filtering K&N= 93% efficiency
Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Racer

I had on for my tsx but then I got a CAI. When I had to clean the filter I noticed nothing in my intake. If you want I can sell you my K&N air filter with cleaning suplys. Just send me a privit message and I will get back to you.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going to get mixed views about K&N. Honestly, I do NOT recommend them. Why? Because of the efficiency of the filter and the potential to over oil and damage vital intake sensors. Everything comes with a cost in life, and the K&N filter comes at the cost of risking more dirt in your intake because it doesn't capture as good as the OEM paper and the fact that often times some people over oil their filter when cleaning it. Even just the fact that the filter is oiled and you have a flow of air going through this filter that is covered will oil, creates the potential for oil to get into the intake and cover critical parts like a MAF (which happened to me in another vehicle and to my friend's Ford Lightning).
_________

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
k&n was/is really popular. But all of my k&n filters look as if they let alot in (if you look up close, you can see through the holes in the filter). k&n even says that the filter works best when it's dirty (I guess it plugs up some of the holes?)

On my accord, I see crap in my intake pipe...I have to dust it off from time to time. I'm not going to ever put one on my new TSX. There's a different company that makes better filters, but I can't remember the name off of the top of my head.

I suppose k&n is popular because it's less restrictive (which implies it lets alot go through it). More power = excited people. If I was still into power, I'd do k&n. But now I'm into prolonging engine life.
I really like your reply, you're thinking is exactly like mine.

By the way, are you thinking of "Trueflow" foam air filters?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I have been using k&n filter in my TSX for the past two years, but I do not re-oil it, just replace it once a year. I drive @ 20,000 miles/year and my TSX has 62,000 on it, average mileage 28 mpg, I did not notice any problems with the TSX.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by goddsmack
I really like your reply, you're thinking is exactly like mine.

By the way, are you thinking of "Trueflow" foam air filters?
I guess we're getting too old ;-) lol...jk

Well, after looking up Trueflow, I saw some stuff that reminded me of what I had been thinking of...Amsoil.

But from the quick searches, I've found that True Flow is more popular than Amsoil now (apparently Amsoil is contracting out the work, and the quality is worse?)

Although, by doing the search, I found a website that makes me wonder if I'll switch to a foam filter...

According to Bob is the oil guy :

Originally Posted by Bobistheoilguy
Foam is foam no matter who makes it. Fiberous filters are still fiberous filters, and paper is still paper. Sure there are minor differences, but in this test a clear pattern emerged based on basic filtration media rather quickly
Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed.
The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though. I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think.
Just some food for thought...
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by odessa
I have been using k&n filter in my TSX for the past two years, but I do not re-oil it, just replace it once a year.
So you buy a new K&N filter every year?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Cruisin'

I have been using k&n filter in my TSX for the past two years, but I do not re-oil it, just replace it once a year. I drive @ 20,000 miles/year and my TSX has 62,000 on it, average mileage 28 mpg, I did not notice any problems with the TSX.
Odessit PREVET!!! I'de never think any one on this site would be from my home country, (I lived v Dnepopetrovskoi oblastie) too bad I live in Vancouver WA, i'd let you see my tail lights half way through 2nd gear
Old 05-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
So you buy a new K&N filter every year?
Yes, $30/year is not an expense worth worry about.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure you'll find some volunteers to take your old filters off your hands for the price of shipping. I have the K&N but I'll be re-oiling mine.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You realize that K&N's supposedly filter BETTER with age, right?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by curls
You realize that K&N's supposedly filter BETTER with age, right?
That's all I kept thinking while I read the "Bob the Oil Guy" thing. If he used a brand new K&N for 500 miles...then I can see why it didn't 'out-filter' the paper filters. In fact, I'm sure all the "performance" filters operate this way, so I don't see Bob's tests as being thorough enough to be conclusive. 500 miles is nothing.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I found this off the Temple of Vtec...

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Much more quantitative and qualitative than Bob...I'm more inclined to believe this than anything. However, it's once again a short term test.

I've stuck with stock filters for years...until my '03 trailblazer, which I threw a K&N filter into. I did notice a louder exhaust note, but that's it. I have a friend who builds engines that swears by the K&N filters...but I'm sorta sitting on the fence. In the end, I almost don't care...

BTW...the "5 minute edit window" on this board eats my ass.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
I'm sure you'll find some volunteers to take your old filters off your hands for the price of shipping.
I agree. I'd buy one!