Just Changed the Cabin Air Filter...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just Changed the Cabin Air Filter...

In my TSX.

From the looks of it, it looks like nobody has ever changed it before.

On a side-note, this job was much, much easier than doing it for my parents' Odyssey or their Altima.

Last edited by jchan2; 12-22-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
They are nasty if they haven't been changed in a long time.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed mine about 2 years ago and was about to change it a couple months ago, but when I took it out, it still looked very clean.

I'll give it a few more months before I change it again.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jchan2
In my TSX.

From the looks of it, it looks like nobody has ever changed it before.

On a side-note, this job was much, much easier than doing it for my parents' Odyssey or their Altima.
Makes you wonder if any of the other required maintenance has been performed (the car is 4 years old). Like wiper blades and the air filters, I change the cabin filters (2 cars) once a year (whether they need it or not I guess).
Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Makes you wonder if any of the other required maintenance has been performed (the car is 4 years old). Like wiper blades and the air filters, I change the cabin filters (2 cars) once a year (whether they need it or not I guess).
The previous owner leased the car, so he/she probably did as little as possible.

Getting wiper blades and air filter changed next time I go to the dealer for an oil change (coupon for a free change from the selling dealer... and yes, I know I can change the blades and filter myself, but none of the screwdrivers around the house would get the bolts off of the air filter cover and I figured if the prices at the dealer were semi-reasonable I'd just let them do it...)

After the next oil change everything should be up to date, to the best of my knowledge...
Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
The previous owner leased the car, so he/she probably did as little as possible.

Getting wiper blades and air filter changed next time I go to the dealer for an oil change (coupon for a free change from the selling dealer... and yes, I know I can change the blades and filter myself, but none of the screwdrivers around the house would get the bolts off of the air filter cover and I figured if the prices at the dealer were semi-reasonable I'd just let them do it...)

After the next oil change everything should be up to date, to the best of my knowledge...
do you know if the power steering recall was done or not. When I had it done on my 06 tsx the dealer also replaced the wipers per the TSB. I try to have the filters changed between 20,000-25,000 miles which means at least once a year. Had the brake and manual transmission fluid changed when the car was 3 years old. Still have the original brakes.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
do you know if the power steering recall was done or not. When I had it done on my 06 tsx the dealer also replaced the wipers per the TSB. I try to have the filters changed between 20,000-25,000 miles which means at least once a year. Had the brake and manual transmission fluid changed when the car was 3 years old. Still have the original brakes.
I called Acura right after I bought the car and they confirmed that the power steering recall was already taken care of.

Had brake fluid changed over Thanksgiving- all good there. Waiting until 60k to change the ATF.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda learned from their complaints after they designed the 6th gen Accord. Taking off the bottom half of the dash, now that's a pain.

Although even that is not as bad a what I had to go through to change the filter on my sister's 09 Altima. Not only did I have to remove the bottom dash and glovebox, but Nissan wedged the filter in the back of the center console and as if that wasn't enough, the filter is twice the size of the opening so you have to literally crush the entire filter when removing/installing it. That is poor designing if I have ever seen it!

Although I don't want to bash Honda too much, she has had better luck with the Altima over the 08 Accord she had.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by npolite
Although even that is not as bad a what I had to go through to change the filter on my sister's 09 Altima. Not only did I have to remove the bottom dash and glovebox, but Nissan wedged the filter in the back of the center console and as if that wasn't enough, the filter is twice the size of the opening so you have to literally crush the entire filter when removing/installing it. That is poor designing if I have ever seen it!
Yeah that was a pain of a filter to change. To get that glovebox out I had to take out a few trim pieces too. Almost made me want to just pay the Nissan dealer the $83 they wanted to change it...

The 2nd generation Odyssey wasn't that easy either, though that was the first time I changed a cabin air filter.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went in for oil change, and they decided to take the air filter out and bring it to me to recommend changing it. They even wrote up a quote without me even asking.

Air filter at the dealer: $264 dollars.

Air filter at Autozone with my labor: $20 dollars.

I just told them that I'll do it myself. They obviously had a sad look on their face.

If you got money to burn, go ahead. I'm telling you, all you need is a socket, socket extension, and a rachet.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Daffunda
I went in for oil change, and they decided to take the air filter out and bring it to me to recommend changing it. They even wrote up a quote without me even asking.

Air filter at the dealer: $264 dollars.

Air filter at Autozone with my labor: $20 dollars.

I just told them that I'll do it myself. They obviously had a sad look on their face.

If you got money to burn, go ahead. I'm telling you, all you need is a socket, socket extension, and a rachet.
$264 is ridiculous; the air filter part today was about $40, which is expensive, but definitely not $264.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced

I hate to call BS on the above story, but I think I'm going to. The last time I brought it in, they offered to change it for $70. Now that's still too high IMO, but a far cry from $264
Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

the K&N air filter is around $70 bucks