just bought '04, CG/quartz, navi, pics to come soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 AM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought '04, CG/quartz, navi, pics to come soon

After several months of searching AutoTrader and Cars.com for the right one, last week I finally found the right used TSX for me at the right price. I was having a really hard time finding '04s with navi in the Cleveland area (or anywhere within 150 miles of here for that matter). So I ended up expanding my search and found what I wanted...at a (non-Acura) dealership in New Jersey. Road trip!

It's an 04, automatic, CG/quartz, navi, with about 34K miles. It's in perfect condition with the exception of a couple little pinhead-sized white flecks on the rear bumper. Before I drove out to NJ, the dealer told me the car was in "the best condition you'll ever find a two year old car with 34K miles" -- and he was right. I was actually surprised how good it looks!

BTW, thanks to all who posted their opinions in the "to navi or not to navi" and similar threads. When I first started looking at TSXs, I was thinking I'd get one without navi. But after reading through the posts from about half of non-navi owners saying "I wish I would have gotten navi," I decided I probably would have been in that group of people who regretted not getting it. Plus then my wife told me, "Get it. You work hard. You deserve it." Who am I to argue? So I got it. And it's SO cool!

Left my home first thing Friday morning, got to the dealership late afternoon, and had the keys in my hand within an hour and a half. From everything I've seen (prices on this forum, KBB/Edmunds values, and what other dealers are asking for their navi and non-navi '04s with comparable mileage) I think I got a pretty sweet deal...$22,200. Plus this '04 wasn't actually put into service until April of 2004, so it's actually a few months newer than I was expecting.

I'll get some pics up here in the next few days. (I know, I know...useless without pics...yada yada yada). I haven't actually taken ANY pics yet. It's covered with salt and yuck from the drive home. The pics the dealer took aren't worth much anyway. Maybe I'll be able to take some today.

I was a little bummed when I got there, because it turns out the previous owner only turned in one key plus one keyless remote. Then I looked in the black manual holder thingie (yes, I believe that's the correct term ) and I found the valet key too. But now I need to get another master key plus remote for my wife. I called an Acura dealer while taking a fuel break on the way home, and they said about $50 for the key and $150 for the remote. Does that seem like it's in line with what others have paid for replacement keys on an '04?

But I guess I shouldn't be complaining about having to spend $200 on keys. I was pleasantly surprised when I started checking out the car in person...it had a trunk liner and wheel locks, plus mats and mud guards. I easily saved a few hundred there...so I guess it all evens out in the end.

I had a minor bummer on the drive home. I was on I-80 going through the Poconos in PA, and my windshield got nailed by a rock that a truck kicked up. Left a nice little chip which I'll need to repair...hopefully it can be fixed without needing a new windshield. I was so excited when I started driving this car because this car doesn't have any squeaks or rattles (knock on wood). Based on the high % of owners who report some type of squeak or rattle, I was fully prepared that it might have some. And as soon as I got hit by the rock, I thought damn, now I might need to get the windshield replaced...which might cause squeaks/rattles if I'm unlucky. But hopefully it's repairable. I'm already talking to my insurance company to get a glass repair person out here as soon as possible.

Owners in Cleveland: Should I go to Acura of Cleveland or Motorcars Acura when I need service? I've done searches and read some of the posts in 2004 about Acura of Cleveland being good, but that was right around the time they first opened up. I seem to remember a couple of complaints about Motorcars too...so I'm leaning toward Acura of Cleveland. But I'd welcome any thoughts, feedback, bribe pics of the service manager in compromising poses with sheep so they'll take care of me better...

Oh yeah...the car drives like a dream. Even better than what I was expecting. Love the cornering, the ride, the acceleration, everything. I'm going to love this car!

Gotta get a cargo net (still not sure whether I'll go OEM or get the 350Z net like several people recommended) and maybe a lip spoiler too. But I'll probably wait until the spring for that.

Just gotta say...I'm really excited about being a part of this community! So much good info here, and a lot of great people.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Instructor

congratulations!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 AM
TSX User

Congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy your car.

Always remeber, lower your expectations.

BTW, why on earth would you buy a "zippy" car like the TSX to drive in a city that won't let you exceed 25mph?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 AM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
BTW, why on earth would you buy a "zippy" car like the TSX to drive in a city that won't let you exceed 25mph?
LOL!

I live out in the 'burbs, about 20 miles outside of downtown. Although I commute into downtown each morning and the drive into the city is usually at about 30mph, the drive home is usually at normal speeds (gotta love working late ). But I get plenty of opportunity to drive fast, especially on the hilly, winding roads near my house that have 45-55mph speed limits and very few cops.

Now that I have a car that's fun to drive, maybe I'll come home from work and ask my wife, "Honey, can I run any errands for you? Maybe pick up some groceries? Drive to Buffalo for some buffalo wings? Drive to Philly for a cheesesteak?"
Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Pro

Congrats Michael05!!!

Love the idea of a road trip to pick up the car.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael05
LOL!

I live out in the 'burbs, about 20 miles outside of downtown. Although I commute into downtown each morning and the drive into the city is usually at about 30mph, the drive home is usually at normal speeds (gotta love working late ). But I get plenty of opportunity to drive fast, especially on the hilly, winding roads near my house that have 45-55mph speed limits and very few cops.

Now that I have a car that's fun to drive, maybe I'll come home from work and ask my wife, "Honey, can I run any errands for you? Maybe pick up some groceries? Drive to Buffalo for some buffalo wings? Drive to Philly for a cheesesteak?"

I hate I-80 with a passion. I always keep my distance from the trucks. Musta been a nice long ride home though in the TSX. did you trade in your car in NJ?

Anyways, congrats. If you go to philly for a cheesesteak, i'll meet you at Pat's. I've already used my navi once to get there.....so it's already in "previous destinations"
Old 01-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Looks like the remotes are going for $20-30 on Ebay. I haven't programmed an Acura one before but if it's the same as Honda then you can do it yourself in two minutes.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Originally Posted by paranode
Looks like the remotes are going for $20-30 on Ebay. I haven't programmed an Acura one before but if it's the same as Honda then you can do it yourself in two minutes.
Thanks, I'll check it out. $30 for a remote sure sounds better than $150!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Originally Posted by bradykp
I hate I-80 with a passion. I always keep my distance from the trucks. Musta been a nice long ride home though in the TSX. did you trade in your car in NJ?
Yeah, there were 5 trucks on the road for every 1 car. But on the positive side, there were lots of turns compared to many highways, and most of the trucks stayed in the right lane, so it was easy to build up some speed. On the way home, only saw one NJ trooper and no PA or OH troopers!

Traded in my other car in NJ. It was a lot easier than driving it back home and trying to sell private party (which I considered for a while). It turned out to be 7 hours of driving plus 1 hour for a lunch/gas break, so it wasn't too bad at all. Plenty of time to bond with the new car!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Michael05
Yeah, there were 5 trucks on the road for every 1 car. But on the positive side, there were lots of turns compared to many highways, and most of the trucks stayed in the right lane, so it was easy to build up some speed. On the way home, only saw one NJ trooper and no PA or OH troopers!

Traded in my other car in NJ. It was a lot easier than driving it back home and trying to sell private party (which I considered for a while). It turned out to be 7 hours of driving plus 1 hour for a lunch/gas break, so it wasn't too bad at all. Plenty of time to bond with the new car!
I-80 is horrible with trucks. like that all the time. those turns, which you enjoyed because of the nice weather, make for nightmares in the snow or rain. lots of trees too. and deer everywhere. that's gotta be one of the worst highways in america.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:19 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bradykp
I-80 is horrible with trucks. like that all the time. those turns, which you enjoyed because of the nice weather, make for nightmares in the snow or rain. lots of trees too. and deer everywhere. that's gotta be one of the worst highways in america.
I used to go to college in Philly and live in Erie (NW PA) so every couple months or so I was on 80 driving back and forth. It really wasn't bad to me, but I always chose to get on the road at like 8 or 9 and drive through the night. It was always alot smoother that way. Never took more than 6 hours.

edit: I will ALSO meet yous at Pat's
Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome aboard!

for '04 TSX, do the key mod, search for it.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mg7726
welcome aboard!

for '04 TSX, do the key mod, search for it.
Works for 05 and 06 TSXs too!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Overlord

Welcome! Yeah, definitely get your own remote and program it yourself. But you'll have to get the key from the dealer. $50 probably ain't too bad for that.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Niice find! Its time for 03+ accord key fob mod. Thats what I did with my spare key...
Old 01-17-2006, 07:13 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Took the car to the Acura dealer yesterday to get the new key cut (but NOT a keyless remote, thanks to your tip! ). The first one they cut didn't work, so I had to wait while they cut a second. But of course they washed it afterwards, so it was the perfect opportunity to get my first pics later in the day.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Still Lovin my 06

pretty sexy......for an O four....just kidding. congrats man!