Ipod hook up in 2006 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod hook up in 2006 TSX

Ok, maybe its me, but I couldn't find anything on these issues.
I am thinking of buying a 06 TSX with Navi soon, but I would like to find out how the Ipod hookup works (its standard in 06 tsx). Unfortunately, I don't have an Ipod right now, but I want to be able to play mp3s so that the ID3 tags get displayed on the navi's screen. For instance, the song title and the artist name, and hopefully the bitrate.
Can anyone please confirm whether the ID3 tags can be displayed or not. And if ID3 tags can be displayed, does the navi screen only display english letters, or can it for instance display cyrillic characters. I have an aftermarket Kenwood mp3 player in my current car right now, and cyrillic characters are displayed as garbage (hyrogliphs).
I understand that once you hookup your ipod to the jack, the navi controls the functions of the ipod. Is there a lag for rewinding or fast forwarding a track, and is the fast forward audible through the speakers, or does the navi simply shows the track time.
Also, I know you can setup different playlists. Can the navi control which playlist you are playing?
Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to get ID3 info, or any useful info for that matter, on the navi. Not with standard aux jack, nor with aftermarket products including Acura's failed MusicLink.

The TSX has a very basic AUX jack implementation. There is an 1/8" stereo jack in the center armrest, along with an extra 12v supply. You use the dash (or navi) to switch to AUX, and then your console will just display "aux" and the volume. It certainly could be better, but at least they put it in the car.

Any more features will require a very expensive aftermarket setup, which of course can be done, such as mounting an N2 in the cubby and running your iPod off there. You can get very nice full control and display from an N2 or similar aftermarket unit, but now you're approaching the $1-2k range just to get an installed setup like this.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Well, that really sucks. I thought they actually had some type of data link, but they only have an aux audio.
So, even going to the next track, you have to use the ipod controls to do that? Thats really bad. And you can't even view the time of the track??
Man, I think I might just get a TSX without the navi and build a carputer afterwards with GPS etc. I mean there is no reason for getting the navi then. I'd rather spend $2k on an aftermarket system.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I mean, there's still plenty of reason to get the navi. Its pretty much the best factory navi you can get from any manufacturer now, and its maps and directions are top notch. It does integrate well with the rest of the audio system including XM, which I have come to love. Its ability to find restaurants and gas stations along are almost worth it.

You must consider your priorities. The iPod integration is a nice-to-have for me. I want my iPod to play in my car, and it does. I'm dissapointed I don't get the rest of the features, but I made up for some with a Griffin AirClick remote and an Belkin charging / line-out base. Consider that any non-navi + carputer solution will cost more than the navi in the end, you'll still get the same aux-in as a starting point to work with, and you'll be sacrificing the quality of the rest of the functionality (maps, location, directions, POIs, integration, voice functionality) just to increase the iPod functionality.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you in that I really, really wish we had these features, but going the non-navi route just because of it seems like overkill.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
iVTEC no koe

A cheaper alternative is the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play, approx $200USD MSRP, review link here:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/driveplay.ars
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Ideally, what I was looking for is an ability to play DVD-RW or a CD-RW(at least)full of mp3s, since thats the easiest for me to transfer files from the computer. I could really care less for the ipod since I don't have one. I just want to play mp3s in my car and be able to look at the info about the mp3s and browse through the selection easily. Is that too much to ask?

Since most car manufacturers now combine the stereo and the HVAC controls together, you can't remove the stock stereo anymore. Pretty much nobody offers mp3 player as a CD/DVD player (Honda does, but its mounted underneath the stereo, I mean why?? You already have a CD player in the dash, just make it so that it decodes MP3s). Since car manufacturers started to offer Ipod hookup, I figured I would get one, which solves the problem all together. But now, you have to use the ipod to control it and view the info.

You are right about the Navi though. I might still get one and just bite the bullit and shut up. I have an iriver 799 mp3 player , so I think I'll just use the aux connector in the armrest, and mount the player somewhere on the dash.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah! I was stuck on the iPod aspect of it.

If you want a disc MP3 player, Acura makes a kit for the car with one, replaces the top cubby. I hear this part is quite good unlike the MusicLink. I *believe* (but not 100% sure) that it displays full ID3 info on navi. This may be what you want. Look up the Acura TSX MP3 accessory.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Reach
Ah! I was stuck on the iPod aspect of it.

If you want a disc MP3 player, Acura makes a kit for the car with one, replaces the top cubby. I hear this part is quite good unlike the MusicLink. I *believe* (but not 100% sure) that it displays full ID3 info on navi. This may be what you want. Look up the Acura TSX MP3 accessory.
^^^ I'm pretty sure that this is NOT true.

Also, why are you so concerned about displaying Cyrillic? Do you really have that many Russian mp3s?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Advanced

well, since I am originally from the old country, yes I do have a lot of russian mp3s, about 2 DVDs worth.

Yep, I took a look at the mp3 accessory, but the price is quite expensive $550. If it does display the ID3 tags/display cyrillic, then I would definitely get it, but otherwise I won't.

I had another idea. I was reading on the forum and some people got the DVD to play through the navi by getting an adapter of some sort and then purchasing a dvd player. That might be a lot cheaper, because most DVD players nowadays decode mp3s, and the information on some is pretty good. Its just a matter or mounting all of that in the car.
One thing I wasn't sure about this, are people actually getting a DVD player, or a DVD-ROM drive that plugs into this adapter.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Racer

get the navi, then get another screen and stick it in the compartment below the nav. Hook ur carputer to it =D. You get not one, but TWO screens =D the more the merrier they say =D.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Why would I get the navi if I were to build a carputer?

I think I'll just get the navi and then hook iriver mp3 player to the audio hookup in the armrest and mount the mp3 player somewhere on the console. That seems like the most rational thing to do, unless the MP3 Accessory that gets mounted below the navi can display ID3 tags.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Racer

Carputer for the people sitting in the car+your ipodness, and navi for you =D. I was pretty concerned with the Ipod thing, but once I got the free XM for a few months, I got hooked haha. There definately isn't enough hours in the car to have both XM and Ipod competing for your attention haha =D
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sladotron
I had another idea. I was reading on the forum and some people got the DVD to play through the navi by getting an adapter of some sort and then purchasing a dvd player. That might be a lot cheaper, because most DVD players nowadays decode mp3s, and the information on some is pretty good. Its just a matter or mounting all of that in the car.
One thing I wasn't sure about this, are people actually getting a DVD player, or a DVD-ROM drive that plugs into this adapter.
You know, I was thinking about this as well. Would it be possible to use the Navi hack + an ipod at the 06 aux input + some sort of interface device (similar to the Harmon Kardon Drive & Play posted above) that would interpret the ID3 tag info and output a nice video signal which could be fed to the Navi screen? Does a device like that exist?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

It would be awesome if apple gave you the option to display the iPod menus on a tv, like they do with slideshows and video (this seems to be a pretty often requested feature, so who knows). Then you could do the navi to TV conversion and at least get all the song info and album art, even if you still had to navigate with the iPod (although for me, this would be the best solution, since navigating with the iPod is so much easier than any other solution I've seen). If you really want to get into it, you could take a look at this. With the navi to TV conversion, it could be pretty interesting.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

^^^^ That would be just about perfect!!!

You could display the ipod interface to the navi screen AND control the ipod via the remote whilst seeing the feedback on the screen. I have a 3rd gen ipod, so it says limited functionality, which I assume is just ID3 tag support on songs, but if I were to upgrade, I could throw pictures or videos up on the navi screen as well.

It also says there is option wifi capability. It states it in the paragraph regarding streaming internet radio stations, but I wonder if it would allow you to administer the ipod remotely. Imagine being able to update songs on it while the car is parked in the garage.

I can't see a clear picture of all the ports on the back, nor can I find much info on this as it starts shipping in March, but the problems that I see would be powering the thing. You would possibly need a power inverter if there is no car charger. Also, not really liking the l/r RCA audio that you'd have to adapt back to a 3.5" jack. Might possibly lose some quality in the process.

I don't have a complete understanding of the Navi hack, but does anyone see why this wouldn't work?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Advanced

I think I'll have to get the car and take a closer look to what I have to deal with once I open up the console. I still don't understand all the way the DVD hack for the Navi. I read the post about the Dom's Navi unit, looks pretty nice.

Lets say I get it, I have to get a DVD player to go with that. Is there one that fits in the cubby below the Navi? Has anyone tried doing this/purchasing aftermarket DVD player?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Privet! Kak dela?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyCNote
Privet! Kak dela?
Otlichno, a kak u tebya
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Overlord

Здравствулте!! Мы если все говорят русского!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
X spots the mark

sladotron, est' eshe odno predlojeniye...
when i had a infiniti g20 before i got the tsx, i had a pioneer headunit that played mp3/wma cds, it would also display and scroll the tags for the songs, cyrillic tags would not be displayed correctly at first but after a call to pioneer customer service they sent me a cd that modified the firmware on this unit and after that russian characters could be displayed just fine. this is important to me as well since i have a shitload of russian music... anyway you can purchase a similar unit for about $300 and have it custom fitted into one of the storage compartments in the center console and rewired as the AUX input instead of that shitty phone jack in the armrest...
Old 02-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by whynot
sladotron, est' eshe odno predlojeniye...
when i had a infiniti g20 before i got the tsx, i had a pioneer headunit that played mp3/wma cds, it would also display and scroll the tags for the songs, cyrillic tags would not be displayed correctly at first but after a call to pioneer customer service they sent me a cd that modified the firmware on this unit and after that russian characters could be displayed just fine. this is important to me as well since i have a shitload of russian music... anyway you can purchase a similar unit for about $300 and have it custom fitted into one of the storage compartments in the center console and rewired as the AUX input instead of that shitty phone jack in the armrest...
Wow, I can't believe pioneer sent you a cd with the firmware upgrade. I have Kenwood player in my current car. I'll shoot them an email to see if they have something like that.

I think I am going to get a Dom's video adapter for the Navi and then purchase a JVC KD-DV4200 or similar DVD unit. I contacted crutchfield to find out whether this DVD player will display id3 tag info on the video output, and the guy said that they haven't researched the unit because its just came in, but he was 90% sure that it did.
Then all I would have to do is route the composite video to the Dom's adapter, and then route the audio from the DVD player to the aux input on the navi.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM
X spots the mark

Originally Posted by sladotron
Wow, I can't believe pioneer sent you a cd with the firmware upgrade. I have Kenwood player in my current car. I'll shoot them an email to see if they have something like that.

I think I am going to get a Dom's video adapter for the Navi and then purchase a JVC KD-DV4200 or similar DVD unit. I contacted crutchfield to find out whether this DVD player will display id3 tag info on the video output, and the guy said that they haven't researched the unit because its just came in, but he was 90% sure that it did.
Then all I would have to do is route the composite video to the Dom's adapter, and then route the audio from the DVD player to the aux input on the navi.
No offense but you'd go through all that just to see the name of a song on the screen and to be able to play cds with mp3 files? seems like overkill...
Old 02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Not just all that, you could play DVDs on the Navi screen and hook up a rear view camera as well.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
X spots the mark

DVD's I sort of understand, but a backup camera on a TSX?? I guess I'm weird but I usually just turn my head back and look through the rear window when backing up, it's been working for me so far....
Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

i am picking up my 2006 TSX in the next few days. I chose to get the Navi system. What do I need to buy to plug my ipod into the aux jack in the center console?

I am not worried about the song title on the screen, I just want to know what exactly to buy? thanks for your help
Old 02-23-2006, 08:40 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mkmwall
i am picking up my 2006 TSX in the next few days. I chose to get the Navi system. What do I need to buy to plug my ipod into the aux jack in the center console?
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=193794
And a short mini plug to mini plug cable.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Get a non Nav...and go with aftermarket DVD player ......

that should allow you to pop in your 2 dvd worth of russian mp3s

aftermarket dvd + nav probably cost like 1,500 anyway
and it looks good

you can connect mp3 player + back camera...even tho i think back up sensor is better.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/

Let's put some order in this place.