Installed moleskin and windows are still scratching

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed moleskin and windows are still scratching

hey i got my windows tinted. after a few months i realized that some scratches were coming up. So i got moleskin installed and i realized that the windows are still scratching. does anybody know why?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably because your tint is very poor quality.
that's usually the case.

go with better tint.

if I ever get a scratch on my tint, it gets replaced.
it has a lifetime warranty against scratching.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got felt installed on my Suntek tints and its great, no scratches and the windows move up and down with ease. Of course I try to do some preventive maintenance by removing any debris ASAP.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Bring it back to the tint shop and ask for free replacement. Tints + felt setup is as perfect as it is and no way there's scratch on it unless it's been done purposely. Life time replacement in action~
Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
unless its just the glue from putting on the moleskin? that happened to me when i first got mine put on..i took it back and the guy just wiped the glue off
Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
strange. I also got moleskin on mine, but zero scratches.

Either, they did a terrible job, or bad quality tint film.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Racer

MMsTSX what kinda tint do u have?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

I just got my 06 TSX tinted with Suntek carbon and got scratched as i rolled them up and down. I brought it back to the place and they re-tinted and added the "felt" (moleskin) and i'm still getting scratched. they are telling me its an acura issue ....Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Addict

Did they place moleskin on the upper AND lower rubber strip? The lower rubber wiper is the one that touches the window the most.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by ant3821
hey i got my windows tinted. after a few months i realized that some scratches were coming up. So i got moleskin installed and i realized that the windows are still scratching. does anybody know why?
dirt
Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd look to see any hints or dirt or bad tinting. Plenty of people have tints with no problem (myself included). I didn't need moleskin or anything, installed tint and was good to go. No scratching and I've been through ice, snow, sun etc. Lifetime warranty against it too. It isn't really an Acura issue as much as possible bad prep on the tint shops part or else maybe your window is out of alignment?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Racecar - Yea the Moleskin was only placed on the lower rubber strip

Sortudo - This is the first time i've tinted what are some signs of bad tinting? After the first time it scratched (W/O the moleskin) I made sure that there was no sand/dirt on the rubber.

I don't think the Window is out of allignment because ita all of my windows and no scratches befor the tint.

I am going back to the tint shop tomorrow. Ill update you guys.... thanks for the responses
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Well a bad tint job varies. The obvious signs are bubbling in the tint never going away, obvious bubbling, wrinkles, breaks in the tint, bunched up portions like it's getting smushed. They could use cheaper tint material, could not have cleaned up thoroughly before installing the tint, may have knocked something out of alignment while installing the tint etc. Just because your regular windows didn't show any sign doesn't mean it wasn't off and then when they did the install it messed it up causing the issue.

Is your tint getting scratched throughout the whole window or is it just a certain part of the window like just the front or middle or just the top or bottom portion? Since it didn't happen in the beginning and started after a while I am leaning towards dirt being somewhere (dirt isn't easy to spot sometimes and the finest particles can scratch) or towards cheap tinting material used or even both.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Where did everyone end up getting their moleskin at? What if your shop does not have it?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

Sortudo- Thanks for the info everything looked good with the tints nothing that you mentioned really stood out to me in regards to a bad tint job.

the scratches are coming up throughout the whole window, there is a few hairline scratches vertically from top to bottom.

Just an FYI this is happening about a week after the tint was installed (last Monday). I am going back to the tint shop in about a half hour so ill let you know what happens.

thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Originally Posted by IDOSEO
Where did everyone end up getting their moleskin at? What if your shop does not have it?
If the shop doesn't have it you can find it online at various sites. Not really expensive, I'd check eBay for the cheapest price but make sure it isn't imitation material bc some ppl out there try to sell some cheap shit and pass it off as being "just like moleskin".

Originally Posted by BLKTSX
Sortudo- Thanks for the info everything looked good with the tints nothing that you mentioned really stood out to me in regards to a bad tint job.

the scratches are coming up throughout the whole window, there is a few hairline scratches vertically from top to bottom.

Just an FYI this is happening about a week after the tint was installed (last Monday). I am going back to the tint shop in about a half hour so ill let you know what happens.

thanks
Word, well only thing I can think of is something within the doorjamb itself, maybe something in the door panel or weather stripping you can't see.

Hopefully the shop can figure it out, I'd not be a happy camper with all that. Oh yea, is it just one window or all of them?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Addict

Originally Posted by IDOSEO
http:///
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

Yea... i am not to happy about it either ...So I brought my car back to the tint shop and they could not explain why I was getting the scratches. (it was happening on 4 of them). even after the moleskin was installed, they offered to remove the moleskin and redo that window (driver side) but i would assume that the scratches would return. and i would have to continue to deal with the scratches on all the other windows. I was so frustrated that this had been my 3rd trip back and nothing could be done. I ended up getting a refund and having them remove all the tints.

I miss the tint already... i will most likely be redoing somewhere else. Any suggestion on where to get it done in northern MASS?

Thanks !
Old 05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Cruisin'

Yea... i am not to happy about it either ...So I brought my car back to the tint shop and they could not explain why I was getting the scratches. (it was happening on 4 of them). even after the moleskin was installed, they offered to remove the moleskin and redo that window (driver side) but i would assume that the scratches would return. and i would have to continue to deal with the scratches on all the other windows. I was so frustrated that this had been my 3rd trip back and nothing could be done. I ended up getting a refund and having them remove all the tints.

I miss the tint already... i will most likely be redoing somewhere else. Any suggestion on where to get it done in northern MASS?

Thanks !
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Man that sucks that that happened. I think if you go to another shop and talk to them about the possibility of that happening and see what they have to say. Go to one with a nice and proven track record. My tint shop had years and years of experience, did show cars, exotic imports, businesses etc. All had references and pictures so I trusted them, not to mention lifetime warranty against everything with a price tag of under 200 bucks for all the windows I had to go with them and were very pleased. They are a locally owned shop though. I would google around for shops in your area and see if they have websites and what their references are like. Hope you have better luck next time man.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by racecarbox616
+1