Insane gas mileage! How long after break-in does it get better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Insane gas mileage! How long after break-in does it get better?

So I'm at about 1500 miles now.
On a recent highway only stretch, I was averaging 36.7 mpg (as displayed by the MID after 150 miles of all highway, so it's not a crazy fluctuation right after resetting the trip odometer).

I remember previous posts I've read saying it gets better after 8-10k miles.
Is that even possible?
I know sauceman got 40+ but he's the only one so far that's reported anything above 40.

6MT if that makes a difference.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a trip this past weekend, I averaged 37.7 over 300 miles. Most of this was highway at ~70 MPH on the PA Turnpike up and down mountains.

I have ~3000 miles on my '06 6MT.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Is that the true mileage though or just the computer saying that?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paranode
Is that the true mileage though or just the computer saying that?
The computer reports xx mpg.
When I do the math at the pump, it's usually xx - 2 mpg, so the computer is being generous by 2 miles per gallon.

I thought it'd just be easier to throw out the MID reported number since all '06 owners probably will be comparing it to that.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

thats good i had got about the same one time mostly highway but lately ive been getting about 200 per tank wich kind of sucks
Old 04-18-2006, 07:08 PM
F.I.L.A.

Only 200 miles per tank?? I hope that you live in VTEC and that's not normal city or highway driving.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
excuse the dumb question but is there a guide in the manual about what to do or not to do during the break in period for the tsx or is there a thread about it somewheres?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rza49311
excuse the dumb question but is there a guide in the manual about what to do or not to do during the break in period for the tsx or is there a thread about it somewheres?
Yes to both, although the manual is very... succinct.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Ouch! Rear-Ended...the Pain!

Is it my imagination or is there now an epidemic among AZ members with collisions? A neighbor and I backed out at the same time without seeing each other, and, boom! There are now mar marks on my precious, new TSX paint job.

It's minor, but it still hurts. Looks like a few of our babies are being pummeled lately. I mean I was doing everythng humanly possible to avoid anything since is my first new car. Last time I got into an accident was 20 years ago. And now all of a sudden with my two month old baby....

Maybe this is a divine message warning me about TSX idolatry.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yeefuchew
Is it my imagination or is there now an epidemic among AZ members with collisions? A neighbor and I backed out at the same time without seeing each other, and, boom! There are now mar marks on my precious, new TSX paint job.

It's minor, but it still hurts. Looks like a few of our babies are being pummeled lately. I mean I was doing everythng humanly possible to avoid anything since is my first new car. Last time I got into an accident was 20 years ago. And now all of a sudden with my two month old baby....

Maybe this is a divine message warning me about TSX idolatry.
Whoops, mis-post...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Well at least you guys are making really good MPG, I still make around 30.4 MPG =/
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rza49311
Yeah, it basically says don't be hard on it for the first 600 miles or so. It also says not to brake hard for the first 200 miles because the brakes need to be broken in. So just take it easy for a while.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Advanced

How many miles to "break in" Im at around 1200 right now. Last week I drove down to Myrtle, got almost 34 mpg on the highway. Overall, I had 29 mpg for the whole trip which was around 700 miles.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:19 AM
04 remembrance

I used to get 33-35MPG strictly on highway (6MT as well), so it's not surprising to see that result. It's actually pretty common!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from scranton to hoboken - with cruise control set around 72mph, i got 38mpg as computed by the MID. at some points i was hitting 40, but the overall avg ended up being 38 for the trip. this brought my tank to a total average of 29.5mpg for the entire tank. pretty good in my book.

i have 6,000 miles and getting my first oil change tomorrow (i know it's a bit late, but damn girlfriend never has time to take it)!

i'm hopinh the mileage improves slightly, because gas keeps climbing, but we're pretty well off where we are right now.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:06 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

mansauce's 42mpg were imperial i believe
Old 04-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt
Nope. They were US. In imperial, that meant 51.4mpg.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Pardon my ignorance of past threads but what did you do to get such good mileage sauceman?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by paranode
Pardon my ignorance of past threads but what did you do to get such good mileage sauceman?
wasn't that in his test to get the best he could?

if i remember correctly, he just drove the most efficient way possible, going no more than 60mph, or something around there, and coasting as often as he could.

whatever it was, it wasn't very close to how people would drive on an everyday basis.

i think averaging 38/39mpg on the highway at 65-70mph cruise control is the best i'll get. if it gets better after 10,000 miles, i'll welcome it, but i'm pretty happy.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
On a recent highway only stretch, I was averaging 36.7 mpg (as displayed by the MID after 150 miles of all highway, so it's not a crazy fluctuation right after resetting the trip odometer).

Is that even possible?
I know sauceman got 40+ but he's the only one so far that's reported anything above 40.

psteng19 - Are you complaining or overjoyed @36.7? I think that is awesome MPG, the vehicle is only rated @ 30 MPG for the 6MT. It is totally refresshing to see this car BEAT what the advertised MPG's are.

Make sure you are "hand calculating your MPG, not relying on the MID for the correct MPG. I have also heard that the TSX engines "are very tight" and take several thousand miles to loosen up and get even better mileage.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Talking

The computer reports xx mpg.
When I do the math at the pump, it's usually xx - 2 mpg, so the computer is being generous by 2 miles per gallon.

Would you share with us how YOU do the math? How do you determine how much fuel you have consumed for the mileage accrued for that period?

Do you seriously think that you can measure the amount of fuel consumed better than the onboard computer? Your "computed" mpg value is 2 mpg lower than the MID and you have no problem stating that YOUR computation is the correct one and therefore the MID is off by 2 mpg... Maybe the MID mpg value is much more accurate than your computation and your napkin computed mpg is slightly off because it is based on inaccurate value for the consumed fuel - again, how do you know the exact amount of fuel consumed for the measured period?

Even more scary is to think that the Verification & Validation at Acura is going to accept such an accuracy from the MID. I actually would love to find out what the tolerance for such a computation is, IOW, how much deviation does it take from the correct mpg value for the V&V test to fail?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Yui
Pro

I'm assuming he divdes the number of miles drove since last fill up by how much gas you're putting into the tank now. I always reset the A trip odometer after filling up. As for the accuracy of the MID, I also get about 1 mpg differential between that method and what the MID states. The MID also will tell me I have a range of 0 miles when my experience tells me I still got about 80 miles or so.

Mine's been climbing up as well, but that's also because I've been getting at driving a manual =) I'm lovin that I can confidently drive 400 miles on a tank of gas, even with plenty of city driving. Coasting in neutral is fun!

The instant mpg calculator on the MID is addictive. I wish I had an instant calculator for everything now.

Originally Posted by pcinoc
Would you share with us how YOU do the math? How do you determine how much fuel you have consumed for the mileage accrued for that period?

Do you seriously think that you can measure the amount of fuel consumed better than the onboard computer? Your "computed" mpg value is 2 mpg lower than the MID and you have no problem stating that YOUR computation is the correct one and therefore the MID is off by 2 mpg... Maybe the MID mpg value is much more accurate than your computation and your napkin computed mpg is slightly off because it is based on inaccurate value for the consumed fuel - again, how do you know the exact amount of fuel consumed for the measured period?

Even more scary is to think that the Verification & Validation at Acura is going to accept such an accuracy from the MID. I actually would love to find out what the tolerance for such a computation is, IOW, how much deviation does it take from the correct mpg value for the V&V test to fail?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yui
I always reset the A trip odometer after filling up.
You make it sound as if you do that manually; you know you can program that to happen automatically, right?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by STL
You make it sound as if you do that manually; you know you can program that to happen automatically, right?
Um automatically? Can you fill me in on how to reset it automagically so I dont have to go read thru the manual? Thaaaanx
Old 04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
wasn't that in his test to get the best he could?

if i remember correctly, he just drove the most efficient way possible, going no more than 60mph, or something around there, and coasting as often as he could.

whatever it was, it wasn't very close to how people would drive on an everyday basis.

i think averaging 38/39mpg on the highway at 65-70mph cruise control is the best i'll get. if it gets better after 10,000 miles, i'll welcome it, but i'm pretty happy.
During normal driving in normal conditions, 38mpg would be superb.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i get the same result...-2mpg from the MID. it's pretty easy to compute....the tank takes 17 (or is it 17.1?)

if i fill up and it takes 13.28 gallons, and i went 300 miles, i know that i can divide and get this magical number.

and i've had the same results......every time....-2 from the MID.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by playdoh
Um automatically? Can you fill me in on how to reset it automagically so I dont have to go read thru the manual? Thaaaanx

i don't know if this is exactly right....but i know you have to be in park.....i think you press and hold set, and it takes you to the menu, go through the menus, and there's one that says "reset after fill up" or something like that.

it resets when you put the car in drive after fillup (i think, i don't really pay attention).

you can set that feature for both drive 1 and 2. as well as many other little things in there.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

^^ Essentially, yes. You have to be in Park (5AT) or have the parking brake on (6MT), then you press and hold the "i" button, not the "Sel/Reset". From there, the menus should be decipherable. For me, it resets Trip A/fuel consumption/etc as soon as I start moving.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Is that even possible?

I just made a 410 mile trip last weekend, and my 06 TSX displayed 36.6 initially till about 200 miles, but then averaged to 31.6 MPG, which is the same that i calculated myself. I think, the Gas Tank meter is not correctly caliberated properly, so it shows high mileage on the first half of the tank, and it reduces in the second half. I typically get aboove 275 miles in a tank...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Instructor

dang... i got around 25-26 mpg on my last trip. I seem to not be able to make myself to get slower than 90 on I-5...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tsturbo
psteng19 - Are you complaining or overjoyed @36.7? I think that is awesome MPG, the vehicle is only rated @ 30 MPG for the 6MT. It is totally refresshing to see this car BEAT what the advertised MPG's are.

Make sure you are "hand calculating your MPG, not relying on the MID for the correct MPG. I have also heard that the TSX engines "are very tight" and take several thousand miles to loosen up and get even better mileage.
I'm overjoyed, yet at the same time optimistic that it could possibly get better with more miles on the engine
Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Easy.

1. Always fill tank up until the pump stops automatically, WITHOUT topping off.
2. Reset trip odometer.
3. Drive the car.
4. Whenever you feel it's time to fill up, drive to your usual gas station. I try to use the same exact pump at the same exact station to maximize constants. The other variable I would like to control is the time/temperature during fill up.
5. Again, fill up until the pump stops on its own.
6. Divide the number of miles showing up on the trip odometer with the number of gallons displayed on the pump.
7. Reset trip odometer and repeat.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ Pure Genius!!

i.e. thats how I do it.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Yui
Pro

Yeah, I saw that option in the MID customization, but sometimes I forget to write down the numbers, so I reset A but leave B so I can backtrack later on. Can you reset just A in the MID?

Originally Posted by STL
Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ Pure Genius!!

i.e. thats how I do it.
same here.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Yui
Yeah, I saw that option in the MID customization, but sometimes I forget to write down the numbers, so I reset A but leave B so I can backtrack later on. Can you reset just A in the MID?
it automatically resets A....B does not reset unless you do it.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by bradykp
it automatically resets A....B does not reset unless you do it.
this is purely an '06 thing right?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
this is purely an '06 thing right?
I don't really know. mine is a 2006 TSX, so maybe. It's in the options on the MID. i guess it's probably new.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ Pure Genius!!

i.e. thats how I do it.
I concur.

If I did not fill up a full tank in the gas station, I carry over the milage and gasoline volume till next time I fill up and calculate MPG then.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jpt

That's all well and good, but lets get his name right..... for some reason ManSauce just sounds ....um ..... wrong!

Quick Reply: Insane gas mileage! How long after break-in does it get better?