Idiot Award

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idiot Award

Everyone tell us the stupidest thing you have done with your car. Mine has to be backing into an opening garage or locking the keys in my trunk.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...tupidest+thing

There have been a couple of threads like this...

The only stupid thing I've ever done was install a sway bar underneath my car. I only used one jack, no jack stands...and I was shaking/jerking the socket wrench trying to loosen the bolt while underneath.

Otherwise, I never do anything stupid. My boss would probably think it's impossible because they all think i'm some sort of genius lol
Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Only had the car 1 month (2500 miles) but I haven't done anything dumb yet.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was really pissed off at my wife and I didnt want to argue with her so I left the house. Not even thinking i backed into my wife's SUV. Luckly I was going less then 5mph but I still left a mark on the car. To this day I still haven' told my wife yet. This have about 7 months ago
Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Woah, shouldve done a search first. Im sorry, i was just feeling a little frustrated over the garage incident and didnt think of searching.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Using money that I saved up to do a B16 swap on my civic instead of selling the damn thing and getting a good used integra. The idiot in me won on that occasion.

Oh well. At least I didn't make the same mistake twice.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Twice now turned it off with it still in drive.

2. 2 weeks after I got it, was washing it at a coin op car wash, and wasn't paying enough attention to where I had the sprayer, and knocked it into the driver side door. Left a 1" scratch that I've tried buffing out to no avail. Luckily I have an ASM so it's not very noticable at all unless you look for it.

3. Not terribly stupid, but I forgot I was in SS mode, and didn't bother downshifting at all after I got off the interstate on the way to my house. Thankfully it does it for you if you don't.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not on my TSX. But on another car. Turned the key the wrong way to turn the engine off. Had a nice screeching sound from the starter motor.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:55 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting a cat...that stupid flea bag has scratched all my cars with her freaking long claws...and I beat the shit of the cat every time it jumps on the car. The darn stupid thing won't learn...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Instructor

woah. that reminds me of a cat joke: So a boy wakes up and doesnt do his chores and asks for breakfast. His mom doesnt give him breakfast until he does so he goes outside and milks the cow but kicks it. He then feeds the pigs but kicks them. He feeds the chickens and kicks them. He then goes back in and asks for the breakfast and his mom gives him no milk because he kicked the cow, no bacon because he kicked the pigs, and no eggs since he kicked the chickens. Then, his dad walks downstairs and kicks the kitten out of the way and the boy says to his mom: "do you want me to tell him or should i?"
Old 06-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by goddsmack
Getting a cat...that stupid flea bag has scratched all my cars with her freaking long claws...and I beat the shit of the cat every time it jumps on the car. The darn stupid thing won't learn...
Use a spray bottle with water. Beating won't teach them. They learn from being suddenly being frightened rather than pain.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Advanced

Kept trying to start the tsx when it was already running!!!!

(My prelude was never that quiet while running)
Old 06-11-2006, 02:56 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
New TSX with about 1,200 miles...
1. Lost my keyfob the first night I got the car. Found it in the trashcan the next morning after a restless night.
2. Left the sunroof open over night. It rained.
3. Parallel parking with MT. Too close to high curb, scratched the rims.
4. Downshifted to 4th instead of upshift to 6th at 65mph. Twice.
5. Got lost and forgot I paid $2,000 for a nav (it was displaying the audio screen....)
Old 06-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Instructor

Backed into neighbors car with my brand new '06 while he was backing out. Hadn't had an accident in any car (mostly junk) for for about 13 years.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I scratched a rim cutting a turn short, because some douchebag in a lincoln navigator came into my lane while I was turning, to go around another douchebag who had no idea where they were going. I should have just stopped dead (I was going about 10-15mph) and backed up, but I thought I was clear - guess not. I got about a 3" long scratch on the passenger rear rim...just along the edge near the tire. This was yesterday afternoon...I'm still mighty pissed this morning. I've never scratched a rim on any of my previous 3 vehicles...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
New TSX with about 1,200 miles...

5. Got lost and forgot I paid $2,000 for a nav (it was displaying the audio screen....)

haha thanks.. reading that brightened up my monday morning..
Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. About 4 weeks after I bought it I removed a heavy box from the trunk and put it on the trunk lid (temporarily). Now I have a small indentation on the trunk lid to remind me of that moment. Note to self: NEVER put anything on the roof, hood, or trunk lid.

2. I noticed a bird turd spashed on the hood. I waited till the next evening to wipe it off and now have a couple of small discolored spots that neither clay nor polish will remove. Note to self: Keep a bottle of Quick Detailer and a rag in the trunk and ALLWAYS wipe off bird droppings as soon as I see them.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Have camera, will travel

I've hit the trifecta: I've backed into vehicles parked behind me, wiped "bird turds" (nice jlukja ) off my paint carelessly, causing scratches (not on the TSX), and three weeks after buying my TSX, I curb-rashed the shit out of the right front wheel.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Have camera, will travel

^^Oh, yeah, and I've managed to grind the gears a couple of times
Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Nothing too terrible bad.
Picked it up on a Wednesday, on Friday when leaving work I had my keys in my left hand and my coffee thermos in the right. I didn't want to open the door (passenger this time for some reason) with my "full" right hand so I used the left and after I had opened it I scratched (about a 1/4") on the edge of the door with the key. My previous car did not have a key fob, so I was too use to keeping the keys in my hand, now the keys stay in my pocket until the door is opened.

Then when I got home I wanted to take off the license plate frame (on the trunk, with the dealer name) because it rattled so bad when I closed the trunk. I took the screw outta one side and went on to the other and it rotated down and hit the paint and left a mark. Just a temporary moment of retardation.

I've tried waxing/polishing etc... the marks out but to no avail. When I go in for the first oil change I will buy some touch-up paint.

The marks are barely noticeable, but since it was only two days old I nearly vomitted all over myself
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Drifting

not with the TSX, but with my first car (93 civic h/b) i got just after i finished highschool i sorta sideswiped/backed into a no parking pole and ripped off half of my front bumper 3 days after getting it...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced

I win this award! Here it goes:

This past Friday pulled into my garage with my bike on top of the car. I have (had) a Yakima bike rack on the roof of my car and forgot that I had my bike on top. I managed to tear the WHOLE rack off my car causing around $2K damage! Even the lady at the collision place laughed when I told her what had happened. Good thing I just waxed the car the day before. I will submit pics if people want to laugh
Old 06-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
reversed into a curb in a parking lot one evening.

reversed out of a parking spot, with the e-brake engaged. good thing i noticed it before driving off.

that's about it for me...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjamyst
haha

classic...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jlukja
1. About 4 weeks after I bought it I removed a heavy box from the trunk and put it on the trunk lid (temporarily). Now I have a small indentation on the trunk lid to remind me of that moment. Note to self: NEVER put anything on the roof, hood, or trunk lid.

2. I noticed a bird turd spashed on the hood. I waited till the next evening to wipe it off and now have a couple of small discolored spots that neither clay nor polish will remove. Note to self: Keep a bottle of Quick Detailer and a rag in the trunk and ALLWAYS wipe off bird droppings as soon as I see them.
Oh, I forgot one more...

3. Installed curb rash on my front left rim pulling into the last parking spot on the left next to a planter.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by indytsx1

This past Friday pulled into my garage with my bike on top of the car. I have (had) a Yakima bike rack on the roof of my car and forgot that I had my bike on top. I managed to tear the WHOLE rack off my car causing around $2K damage! Even the lady at the collision place laughed when I told her what had happened. Good thing I just waxed the car the day before. I will submit pics if people want to laugh

.... we're laughing with you, not at you
Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Have camera, will travel

^^"Installed." LOL!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by jlukja
Oh, I forgot one more...

3. Installed curb rash on my front left rim pulling into the last parking spot on the left next to a planter.
"Installed." LOL!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by waTSX
"Installed." LOL!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Driver/Detailer

Winner!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Instructor

nothing with the TSX, unless you count being in a tornado...otherwise, I backed my previous car through a closed garage door when I was 17
Old 06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

drove it home completely wasted.

i got home fine but it was very, very stupid. i leave my keys with my friends as soon as i show up now.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csharp57
Kept trying to start the tsx when it was already running!!!!

(My prelude was never that quiet while running)
I did that once too. I left the car running and got out of the car to pick up something really quick. When I came back, I forgot the car was still running. The weird thing was that I didn't hear any grinding sound of the starter motor. Do our cars have a protector or am I deaf?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OMG....my dad did the same thing with his Bonneville years ago. He killed poor Roseanna (the bike), but got over it when he got to buy a new bike . I can still remember hearing the noise of it all from inside the house.

The only stupid thing I can think of that I did to my TSX was curbing the wheels at the airport after getting my parking ticket out of the machine. I was very pissed and from the sound of it, nervous that I'd popped a tire, too. Checked it when I came home from my trip, and the tire was fine but the wheels have a little rash.

Oh, and I did something pretty stupid to another car as well. I was home from school during the winter one weekend. Parents were gone in one car and had left the other one in the garage. My car was parked at the end of the driveway, prependicular. I went somewhere with my parents' car and when I came home, the driveway was a huge sheet of ice. I was going slowly up the driveway, but for some reason, when I pressed on the brakes, they locked and I went sliding into my own car (t-boned it) with my parents' car. Left a nice dent in the side of my car and a little paint scratched on the front bumper of my parents' car.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cibs
not with the TSX, but with my first car (93 civic h/b) i got just after i finished highschool i sorta sideswiped/backed into a no parking pole and ripped off half of my front bumper 3 days after getting it...
Last year I backed up my TSX and hit a no parking pole too but I am lucky not a single mark, ding, dent left on the rear bumper. And last night a idiot hit my back when I am stopping for a red light and I just so pissed and jump out of my car without a thought! I was lucky that this guy was just drunk instead of some car jacking gangs that try to steal my car! And amazingly there was no damage, no mark or nething this time again!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A close call: I went to a gardening place, bought two new curb stones for my driveway and drove away without them - they're 150 lbs each and I thought I'd rather rent a Chevy for that job that risk my car, or my back.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aaronng
Winner!!!
I agree , sorry don't mean to be an ass, but that is funny!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Instructor

i washed my car every day for the past week hoping i will finally wash the car without leaving these tiny streaks of something i dont know during the drying phase of the wash. i still have not got lucky and im startign to regret buying a black tsx when my dad said grey is a smarter choice.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by danishj
i washed my car every day for the past week hoping i will finally wash the car without leaving these tiny streaks of something i dont know during the drying phase of the wash. i still have not got lucky and im startign to regret buying a black tsx when my dad said grey is a smarter choice.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by waTSX
16 with a TSX! WOW.

Quick Reply: Idiot Award