I Trust My Nav Too Much.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Trust My Nav Too Much.....

Im just bored and all, so I decided to fill up this forum with more useless posts about my story. Yesterday night, I was driving in some ULTRA rural road. Like RURAL + Suburban roads, and it was like totally dark with 2 lane roads, etc, etc. So anyway my nav tells me I gotta turn left at a 3 way intersection (it looked 3ish because noone was coming from there, and it was pretty packed from the other 3 sides), from that side where no cars were, the navigation showed me there was a road, and that I had to turn there........

.........Turns out, it was really a 3 way intersection, and basically outta my utter stupidity, i drove right into a gravel pit. IT WAS LITERALLY A GRAVEL PIT with A LOTTA mini STONES. Luckily it was an uphill gravel pit, so i cant really call it a pit, but it was uphill with about like 1 inch deep gravel. My tires lost all traction, and I was like /!$%@#^%#$%#$. SUPER LUCKILY, I didnt get any scratches on my paint *THANK YOU FREE MUD GUARDS* It was very embarrasing because there were like a lotta cars at the intersection, and I basically idiotically drove right into a gravel pit with a new car....... Anyway lesson learned.....

... Never fully trust your navigation, and actually look at the road once in a while.........
Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thus the reason for the disclaimer screen
Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Racer

ROFL doesn't the disclaimer screen just say something to the effect of don't use this while driving? haha the voice was like "left turn, and proceed straight" *the navigation just forgot to mention "straight into the gravel pit, so please prepare ride height, and raise the car 3 inches"*
Old 01-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Instructor

It led me into one ways a couple times. Luckily, I looked before listening to the nav. Another thing I hate, is how it takes you on the long route when there's a shorter and easier one.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by rivvin
It led me into one ways a couple times. Luckily, I looked before listening to the nav. Another thing I hate, is how it takes you on the long route when there's a shorter and easier one.

yea or when u need an answer fast and its calculating
Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Originally Posted by rivvin
Another thing I hate, is how it takes you on the long route when there's a shorter and easier one.
I had a funny experience the other night. Went out to dinner with my dad...this was the first time he was seeing my TSX. I asked him if he wanted to drive, and he had nothing but good things to say about the car, the way it rode and handled, its gas mileage, etc...until he started looking at the directions the navi was giving him to the restaurant.

(I should probably mention that he's a Lexus owner...he has a newer LS430. His current car is the third Lexus he's owned with navi, so he's no stranger to these types of systems.)

He looked at the list of the next three turns the TSX navi was giving him on the route to the restaurant, and he just kept repeating, "What's wrong with this thing? That's such an out-of-the-way route!" He must have said it three or four times, and he ignored just about every instruction it gave him.

Finally we're driving on a series of dark streets with no other cars around...and no other people either. A lot of abandoned buildings too. Instead of redirecting him on a different route, the TSX navi starts telling him to make a U-turn or to turn around and basically retrace his steps. He's getting increasingly frustrated with its recommendations.

All of a sudden we reach a dead end. He says, "I guess the restaurant isn't where I thought it was." Turns out he didn't know where we were going after all...and he should've been listening to the car! All he could do was to make a U-turn...and finally follow the navi's instructions to retrace our steps.

Needless to say, he obeyed every single direction it gave him after that.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

"I Trust My Nav Too Much....."

"So anyway my nav tells me I gotta turn left at a 3 way intersection"

"Turns out, it was really a 3 way intersection"

"i drove right into a gravel pit"

I killed a couple of brain cells trying to make sense of this. I really have no idea what you're talking about.

And Michael05, thats freakin hilarious. You had me thinking that the navigation system really did suck...scared me since I haven't really had the chance to test it out yet (have only driven the car about 130 miles).
Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Type X
yea or when u need an answer fast and its calculating
Don't have that problem in the 06. 3 seconds tops. How long does it take in the 04/05's?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TSXnOPKS
Don't have that problem in the 06. 3 seconds tops. How long does it take in the 04/05's?
Same here, I've put in Daytona Beach -> Salt Lake with an Arkansas waypoint, and it takes just a few seconds. How quick do you really need it to calculate?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by n o o d l z
"I Trust My Nav Too Much....."

"So anyway my nav tells me I gotta turn left at a 3 way intersection"

"Turns out, it was really a 3 way intersection"

"i drove right into a gravel pit"

I killed a couple of brain cells trying to make sense of this. I really have no idea what you're talking about.

And Michael05, thats freakin hilarious. You had me thinking that the navigation system really did suck...scared me since I haven't really had the chance to test it out yet (have only driven the car about 130 miles).

HAHAHAA okay my bad rofl i typed it wrong hehee

My nav tells me to turn left on a 4 way intersection, but it turns out it was a 3 way, so yeah i drove into the gravel pit...... Sorry bout your brain cells, have a beer
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least you did not get lead to a no longer existing bridge like one dude in Australia was.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sccpu3d
ROFL doesn't the disclaimer screen just say something to the effect of don't use this while driving? haha the voice was like "left turn, and proceed straight" *the navigation just forgot to mention "straight into the gravel pit, so please prepare ride height, and raise the car 3 inches"*
It says "Use your own common sense".
Old 01-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Pink as a pistol

Originally Posted by n o o d l z
Same here, I've put in Daytona Beach -> Salt Lake with an Arkansas waypoint, and it takes just a few seconds. How quick do you really need it to calculate?
It is really nice to hear that the 06 NAVI is faster. The NAVI on my 03 CL-S takes an eternity to calculate any trips, wheather if it is from my LA to Washington DC or my house to the end of my street.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:22 AM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Hrm....trustingnavtoomuch = lemming?

Rough translation: "Fred only went one time with his lemming Gassi"
Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

reminds me soo much of the tv commerical. haha
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 AM
08 MDX with Sports

It happen to me couple months after I got my ride, I was like NAVi never let me down woohoo~ then I got lost in the ghetto with my girl in NYC. Now I'm like 50-50 with my navi...
Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Navi is all well and good until you get to the location and it says "final destination reached" and from there you are left to figure it out the where the actual place is. Now I know that sounds weird and it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, but just last week I had to drop someone off at a hotel and when I reached the destination it said destination reached, but I wasn't sitting out front of the hotel, and neither could I see the hotel. I still had to make a few turns and drive another half mile to find the hotel. I even went past the correct turn to the hotel and had to make a U-turn before I realised, and the Navi system didn't mention a thing, or recalculate., it just kept saying destination reached. Its great for the long distance directions, but when it comes to the last few turns and 100ft its not clear.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

I agree that the Navi can have some mistakes here and there, and at times can suggest routes that are clearly not the best way to go, but overall I think its worth its weight in gold. I always tell people who say its not worth the money to think next time they are lost, how much money they would pay at that moment to know exactly where they were going, and not be stressed out. Granted its not going to be $2 grand for one instance, but over time it adds up very quickly. Especially if you're like Newplay1, getting lost in the ghetto in NYC. Been there, not fun at all.