I regret it more and more, not getting the NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pandimus
Actually you can do it for cheaper, I paid 700 for my laptop, 40 for my gps reciever, and was able to get a copy of every mapping software out there. But to be honest with you, i would rather have the navigation in the car. It is more convienent. I use my laptop sometimes, but only when on a trip or something, but it sucks cause my wife has to hold it in her lap, it big and bulky. There are a few advantages, for instance the resolution on my laptop is 100 times better. But think of it this way, you have to wait to boot up the computer, then start the mapping software, then type in the address's, then start up the gps unit, Oh yeah, plug it in too. plus you have wire hanging across the car. One option would be a carputer though. I saw alot of those in the mazda 6 forums. Needless to say.. you can get a laptop setup for cheaper, but it is definitly not as intuitive as having one on your dash.
yep, agreed, but also the prices I mentioned are for the higher end ones, $40 I think would be the previous generation gps receiver (feel free to correct if I'm wrong). The second gen are much more accurate and costs ~$90 for a decent one. I think most of the things you mentioned are valid, but can be overcome. For example, you can have a laptop mount somewhere in the dash, kind of like in a cop car, and that is also why you want a < 3lb, thin,small laptop from let's say, Sony (hence the $1600 price tag).

Bootup, program start wait->that is easy, just hibernate your laptop instead of shutting off. Coming awake usually take less than a minute and you don't need to load the program everytime (heck, the navi takes some time to come up too). Wires can be hardwired, and done like what ppl did with their ipods/radars, so that all you have to do is plug in the power in the back of the laptop.

btw, you mentioned 'type in address's', don't you have to do the same for the navi? but of course you can also use voice recognition and find nearby attraction/shops with the laptop.... I mean the navi IS, afterall, a small computer that's running the same kind of map programs...

but again, sure, if $2000 isn't a big deal, I defintely won't mind the navi
Old 11-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its definitly possible, but i think if you are worried about getting the navigation for your car, just pay the extra 2k "if you dont own the car already".

I already have a laptop and gps stuff. but when i buy my tsx, i still will pick-up the navi.

as side question..

can you use the voice recognition to type in address or find a resteraunt?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Intermediate

navi is da bomb... i totally relied on it with a recent trip to SoCal.. i'm not familiar with the freeway system there and totally confused with the local streets.. thank god i have the nav and i never got lost with all the destinations. its worth every penny, IMO, and will be an option I'll choose on future car purchases...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:32 AM
RSX to TSX

Originally Posted by pandimus
can you use the voice recognition to type in address or find a resteraunt?
You can use it to find Points of interest, such as restaurants, but you have to type addresses by hand. You can say things like "find nearest chinese restaurant" and it will give you a list starting with the closest. So yeah, it is VERY handy in that aspect, but it would be nice to have it accept voice input for addresses, even if we have to spell it out, sometimes it just isn't good to be reaching for the screen while driving.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that it's been discussed that it'll cost alot of $$ to retrofit a navi into a non-navi due to the 'different wiring', but does anyone know what exactly is different?

The way I think about it is (frankly a naive way), the unit that they sell on ebay has the recognition, climate control, audio components etc. The only thing different I can think of would be the connectors and perhaps power to the navi. (antenna and dvd rom shouldn't be an issue)

Has anyone actually looked into this in more details, besides getting those standardized 'will be cheaper to get a new car' answer from the dealers?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by supraken
I know that it's been discussed that it'll cost alot of $$ to retrofit a navi into a non-navi due to the 'different wiring', but does anyone know what exactly is different?

The way I think about it is (frankly a naive way), the unit that they sell on ebay has the recognition, climate control, audio components etc. The only thing different I can think of would be the connectors and perhaps power to the navi. (antenna and dvd rom shouldn't be an issue)

Has anyone actually looked into this in more details, besides getting those standardized 'will be cheaper to get a new car' answer from the dealers?

imho i dont think it would be impossible. but i dont think it would be an easy task. think about it. It is more than just a power cable. the navi interfaces your gas gauge. you hvac controls, your speakers everything. you have to find a link to everything. but perhaps if you could get a wiring diagram and start splicing it may be possible.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Racer

Also dont forget most of those on ebay dont have the microphone or the voice control on the stering wheel (sp)