I regret it more and more, not getting the NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I regret it more and more, not getting the NAVI

I so want the navigation now. When I was buying the car, I didn't think the extra $2000 was worth it, when I'm only going to use it maybe once a month. But it's not even if I'm going to use it or now. Having it is just cool! It makes the car look so much better and when I do try to resell it, it's going to be worth more anyway because of the navigation. My advice to those about to buy.. if you're thinking about it at all...... get it!!

So my real question.

Does anybody know if it's possible at all to install it now? I've asked the dealer and they said no.

thanks!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Nope. Too much hassle involved with the Navi. Just sell the car and get a new one with the Navi if you're really that desparate to have it.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I agree with you totally that the navigation system is totally worth it! Not only does it work well, it also looks super! It makes the car look much more luxurious inside.

I recently had a TSX loaner without a navigation system and it just looks so plain. I also missed its functionality too.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:05 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DjElucid
I so want the navigation now. When I was buying the car, I didn't think the extra $2000 was worth it, when I'm only going to use it maybe once a month. But it's not even if I'm going to use it or now. Having it is just cool! It makes the car look so much better and when I do try to resell it, it's going to be worth more anyway because of the navigation. My advice to those about to buy.. if you're thinking about it at all...... get it!!

So my real question.

Does anybody know if it's possible at all to install it now? I've asked the dealer and they said no.

thanks!
I can barely afford the TSX let alone with Navi
Old 11-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Race Director

Blah, not worth the 2k, would be nice to have it though.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Advanced

I love my navigation system, but I'd argue the additional resale value on the car. The reason being is that real-time traffic navigation is going to probably be a more normal/common thing in 3-4 years making this system still useful, but outdated
Old 11-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by ostrich
I agree with you totally that the navigation system is totally worth it! Not only does it work well, it also looks super! It makes the car look much more luxurious inside.

I recently had a TSX loaner without a navigation system and it just looks so plain. I also missed its functionality too.
I sometimes wish I had a Navi for the functionality, but personally I think it looks worse in the dash.

But according to other threads, its not possible to replace a non-navi w/ a navi, there's more wiring involved than just a direct swap
Old 11-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I make Boom Boom in

any salvaged tsx with navi where you can just buy the navi and install it yourself or at a shop?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by txathlete
any salvaged tsx with navi where you can just buy the navi and install it yourself or at a shop?
that's the point, I believe a dealership said that its not possible to just swap the navi itself, the whole electrical system is different
Old 11-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
for anyone that says its not worth 2K, just take a visit to acuraautomotiveparts.org, and just piece together the parts for the Nav system. They by far exeed the price Acura is charging. I know a lot of people have asked on the TL forum whether it can be retorfitted, we determined it was actually cheaper to trade in (or sell privately) your non navi car and buy a navi car. Its a lot of time, hassle and far more expensive just in parts to do a retrofit. If you REALLY want navi but don't want to swap cars, you'll have to go aftermarket.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
not worth it after you got your car. It'll cost you more than what its worth... Go aftermarket if you want navi...
Old 11-11-2004, 11:55 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i only regret it when i'm lost
Old 11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Prior to our test drive of the TSX, I told my wife about the $2000 Navi option. Her response was something along the lines of "who needs that for $2000 when you can use Yahoo maps or use regular paper maps for that matter." However, after the salesman spent a couple of minutes showing us how it worked, her tune changed to "Oh, we have to get that!"

After a month of ownership, I have no regrets spending the money for the Navi, it is well worth it, even if you don't travel much. It's already helped me out a few times.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:58 PM
A Commuter

the navi was the greatest option..heh~

but there are some good aftermarket navis too
Old 11-11-2004, 04:51 PM
RSX to TSX

Ahh I got the same initial response from my girlfriend, calling me a tech geek and rolling her eyes, but after a few trips in it, she plays with it more than me! This works out well for me in the long term with being able to talk her into more techy stuff
Old 11-11-2004, 04:58 PM
04 remembrance

Tell me about it. Sometimes I wish for my Center cnosole to blow out again so I can ask if they can replace it with Navi.

Ah, the wishful thoughts.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Drifting

i'm DEFINITELY getting Navi.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:45 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw the tsx navi on ebay a few days ago
Old 11-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my view on this: Navi is great, I love having it, wouldn't buy another car without it. But, if you haven't got it, you should either get an aftermarket unit or just forget about it. It is really not practical to add it at this point.

BTW, if you find a dealer who installs aftermarket Alpine units (Alpine makes the Honda unit) it would cost you about $2000. That would be a better way to go then selling the car and taking a depreciation hit, or trying to install the OEM system.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:09 PM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by vkewalra
I love my navigation system, but I'd argue the additional resale value on the car. The reason being is that real-time traffic navigation is going to probably be a more normal/common thing in 3-4 years making this system still useful, but outdated
I doubt real-time traffic navigation will be all that reliable even in a few years. Sounds very gimmicky (if such a word exists) as road construction in our neck of the woods happens all year long. Accidents? Too many to count.

What I would like to see is Acura putting in a faster CPU to recalculate my route when I avoid traffic jams.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Either Don't buy a car or BUY the TOP of the LINE

hey.. guys.. dont be cheap. what is 2k, think of long run... it is peanuts. you get a lot more than navi in the navi system. I GOT the Navi. because i dont want to regret later. it will be too late. no monthly fees. so it worth it. it tells u how much more time to your destination.
make pymts anyways, it is nothing.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Bay Area AZ Group Rulez!

Once you have NAVI you'll never imagine life without it (sorry to rub it in )
Old 11-11-2004, 06:48 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

i'm never getting any car w/o a navi...not even have to look at mapquest, map24.com, or any of the mapping services is awesome.

hitting up for food, gas, malls with the navi instantly, ...priceless
Old 11-11-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Originally Posted by sipark
i'm DEFINITELY getting Navi.
I would definitely get the navi if I was buying an Acura.

I'm also encouraging you to do some research and try to install the oem navi in your car. It may cost more and be a lot of work... but think of it as a learning experience!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by achan268888
hey.. guys.. dont be cheap. what is 2k, think of long run... it is peanuts.

Actually, in the long run $2K is a lot. $2K is also the cost of a round-the-world plane ticket that will take you to Europe, Africa, India, and Southeast Asia.

Its all in what is important to you when you buy. Just cause somebody opted not to get the navi doesn't mean they're cheap.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
6 speed yo!

i love the navi...and i always use the trip computer especially to see how much miles of gas i have left lol....did u kno it goes past 0 miles?

its worth it IMO, but i never use the voice commands for anything, its faster by hand so i only use it to show my friends cause they always tell me to do it.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggaman
i only regret it when i'm lost
...And I never get lost...
Old 11-12-2004, 01:10 AM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by achan268888
hey.. guys.. dont be cheap. what is 2k, think of long run... it is peanuts. you get a lot more than navi in the navi system. I GOT the Navi. because i dont want to regret later. it will be too late. no monthly fees. so it worth it. it tells u how much more time to your destination.
make pymts anyways, it is nothing.

2k isn't a small sum of money. Regardless of how much an automobile is worth (yes, even in the hundred thousands), two thousand is still a large sum. Why spend 2k if you truly don't need it?

I missed out on the Navi-opportunity because I seldom get lost, but I still want one, badly

iamhomin, who sometimes has a hard time distinguishing needs and wants
Old 11-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Racer

I noticed 3 different nav systems on ebay. all around 400 bucks currently. Perhaps you can build yourself a system for cheap. I know it would be difficult, but i doubt impossible to get a nav system up and running

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

two of them

another

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38653
Old 11-12-2004, 08:08 AM
wiz
Pro

Originally Posted by DjElucid

So my real question.

thanks!
I have the exact same feeling, and it hits home everytime I get in my friends FX45 with navigation and we know exactly where we're at at all times. I really wish I would have just splurged for the 2k extra....
Old 11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Instructor

I bet you miss the nav, but I doubt you miss the higher payment every month!

I would have jumped at the nav if it was $500, but no more. I dont need it anyway, besides I have a hand held GPS if absolutely needed.

In any case, not getting the nav allows me to have something to look forward to when its time for a new car. If you get it right away, there is one less thing that is new and different on the next car.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Racer

give it a few years and navigation will be standard on all cars.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

I am personally not that happy with the Navi . Everytime I try to find a place or an address, it never seems to exist in the database.

I live in the Nashville area, so it's not like I live in a rural area.

It's nice for the cool factor, but when I can't ever find what I'm looking for it's just not that useful to me.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Not an Ashtray

Volrus, it is possible that Nashville is not as well maped as some other areas. I find NAV useful as heck, but I live in Los Angeles, and the map data is relatively comprehensive out here.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:11 PM
RSX to TSX

I find that the maps work excellent in Philly/New York area... I won't buy another car without it!

I do a lot of local traveling for work, so I use the nav just about every day to find customers, not to mention all the times I use it to find food! 2k is a lot of money in my book, but the nav was so handy (and I'm a geek) that I had to have it.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:32 PM
White and Nerdy

I use the car mainly for commuting, so unless they start moving my workplace around on me, I don't think I need NAVI to find my way to work every day!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Navi information seems outdated in my area too. It once told me to turn left..but..I would have to drive over an island.

Another time, going to San Francisco it brought me on a route that put me in traffic for hours.

I'm sure it's great for major cities..but if you live close but not in a major city it might not be of enough help. It doesn't take into account things like traffic and shortcuts, which only a human would know.

It does help if you're in a brand new area though..and you have no freakin idea where you're at. Then you won't know the difference of whether it's a good or bad route. You just know you got there.

Just my I would still probably get it, but it's not quite as useful as I thought it might be, but then again that's expected...mapquest is not always accurate either.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

I have had my car with Navi for a month. Longest trip I went on was 25 miles all highway couldn't get lost if I wanted to. Still, I love the Navi. Fun toy for me certainly a useful tool for others. No regrets spending the extra $$.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

While the integrated navi is nice looking and everything, for $2000, you can get a nice laptop for ~$1600 + ~$90 for GPS unit. Voice command, voice output, your choice of map program, you name it (but no touch screen). It's true that it's not integrated, but then you also have a laptop that you can use for anything else (dvd, games, go online, or even hook up a webcam for backup camera-a <$20 option ). If you worry about carrying around the thing cuz of possible theft, get the really thin ones from Sony. I'm kind of surpirsed that not many people went with this option. I have a couple of friends that do this and it works great.

oh one thing I found a bit surprising is that most of these programs will also allow you to track your speed while you're driving, as well as the altitude above sea level. Pretty real time and accurate too, perhaps a second delay at the most.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by supraken
While the integrated navi is nice looking and everything, for $2000, you can get a nice laptop for ~$1600 + ~$90 for GPS unit. Voice command, voice output, your choice of map program, you name it (but no touch screen). It's true that it's not integrated, but then you also have a laptop that you can use for anything else (dvd, games, go online, or even hook up a webcam for backup camera ). If you worry about carrying around the thing cuz of possible theft, get the really thin ones from Sony. I'm kind of surpirsed that not many people went with this option. I have a couple of friends that do this and it works great.

Actually you can do it for cheaper, I paid 700 for my laptop, 40 for my gps reciever, and was able to get a copy of every mapping software out there. But to be honest with you, i would rather have the navigation in the car. It is more convienent. I use my laptop sometimes, but only when on a trip or something, but it sucks cause my wife has to hold it in her lap, it big and bulky. There are a few advantages, for instance the resolution on my laptop is 100 times better. But think of it this way, you have to wait to boot up the computer, then start the mapping software, then type in the address's, then start up the gps unit, Oh yeah, plug it in too. plus you have wire hanging across the car. One option would be a carputer though. I saw alot of those in the mazda 6 forums. Needless to say.. you can get a laptop setup for cheaper, but it is definitly not as intuitive as having one on your dash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

here is one i found on ebay..

Also i think the idea of just being able to find a mexcan resteraunt on a whim would be nice

Quick Reply: I regret it more and more, not getting the NAVI