I Really Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation I Really Need Help

arite, i have a huge problem, and it may not seem so huge to the older people on the forum that dont have to worry about parents, but for me, it is. yesterday i got a speeding ticket, and not just a minor one, it was a huge one... i was doing 103 in a 55. for those of you in S FLa thats 48 over on 595. this was last nite, and i havent let my aprents know. i dont think im going to either. my plan is to get the ticket from the mail before they do, and all the other mail ill get due to this ticket from lawyers or traffic schools etc., and pay the 226 dollar fine and take the 4 hour driving course online. is there anyway that my parents could find out, well not so much find out, but that they be told that i got a tciket? i understand they could get the public records, and such, but they wouldnt just search those out for any reason. and since the driving points wouldnt be added due to taking the online course, my insurance wouldnt go up. i think that would be the only hole in my 'plan'... the insurance... if anyone has had any experience with this kinda of problem please help... also, if you have something negative to say, just keep it to yourself, i dont need to deal with any of that right now. thanx
Old 02-15-2004, 02:55 PM
04 remembrance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the car's registered to your parents right?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Lost In Transmission

I'm assuming your insurance is with theirs... (multi-car discount) if that is the case, they'll definately find out then. Insurance doesn't care only about points (that's just the gov - they do that to figure out if you loose your license). Your insurance can go up if someone hits your car and it's not even your fault (happened to me). Come clean now - say you're sorry, you learned your lesson. Hiding it from them will only piss them off more later.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

48 over and they didn't put you in jail? FL must have some lax laws. 20 over in VA is automatic wreckless which can carry a jail sentence. My friend had a 29 over and got a $2000 fine.

As far as your parents, just because you don't get points doesn't mean the insurance company wont know. Heck, my Geico rep checked my record while I was on the phone!

You are probably better off telling your parents, taking whatever punishment they give, they'll 99% find out anyways. Plus your insurance company might try to kick you off in which case you'll really need your parents help.

And buy a radar detector
Old 02-15-2004, 03:34 PM
101 years of heartache...

damn man, that sucks. all my friends who just got their licenses do crazy crap like that all the time. i got my license 6 months ago and im pretty clean, just some petal to the metal in 1st gear to get the engine roaring, but not 100+. yeah, id probably tell them. they'd be pissed as hell, take my driving and social privlages away. but hey, you know that you did something terribly wrong, and are very lucky not to have crashed at any point. suck it up and learn from it, but i feel really sorry for you. i hope for the best.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Future Seminole

yeah, i guess ill be a lot, well no a lot, but a bit better off if i tell them myself, considering our insurances most probably are thshared. thank god i didnt crash, and yes, ive learned my lesson. at least its not a 2000 dollar fine and only 226... plus the driving course, but ill pay whatever...thanx for the input everyone, its very much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:49 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Over 100MPH and you think its JUST a 226 dollar fine. I don't know the laws in Fla but in Cali you will be in a whole lot of trouble.

I think its best you be up front with your parents right from the get go. Let them know you realize your mistake and hopefully you will NEVER do it again on the public roads. Its about trust...if you lose your parents trust now...it's not just money you will be dealing with later on down the line. Be a man...admit to your mistake. Thats just my opinion...what you do its your choice.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Advanced

I got my first ticket 1 day after I got my DL (4/02/02) I did a 86 in a 45 at 11.30 and I only had to pay $120 and 3 months probation I told my mom because I knew she would be cool about it but I didnt tell my dad because I would be dead right now....But my mom had to go with me to court because I was under 17 but my dad doesnt know till this day and ever since no speeding tickets *Knock ON Wood* but be careful though and good luck.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Two weeks after I got my driver's license (11 years ago now) I got a ticket for going 68 on a 35. Best thing to do is bite the bullet and tell them. It won't be any fun, but if they find out about it later it will be worse. They will be just as mad about the ticket, and disappointed you'd try to hide it. Good luck, and slow down.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:43 PM
6MT Snob

I looked through the FL rules of the road book online and it looks like they are fairly lax on 1st time offenders.

However I would reccomend saving up some cash and getting a valentine 1. The further you get away time-wise from being pulled over the easier it will become just to go a little faster and next thing you know you have a 2nd speeding violation within a year and then you have some serious problems.

I'm not saying use the valentine as a license to speed, but who knows you could be in a pack of traffic all doing 10-15 over and the cop decides to pick on you etc etc.. just be careful.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:50 PM
cmf
ATCer

FL must have relax laws, TX, over 20, you are probably on a one way trip to jail, or at least additional charges for speeding, wreckless driving, and whatever else the cop says you were being retarded about.

How can you expect to put up a post like that and not get harassed. Dude you were almost going double the speed limit. I have a little kid 2 yrs old that rides with me daily. Unless the highway was empty (even then it's too fast), you were blasting by people at a serious rate of speed. I'd call the cops on you myself, and when they pulled you over, I'd stop too and tell them I wanted to kick your ass for putting my family's life at danger.
Slow down you fast ass bastard, or find a track someplace. I know there are a lot of them in FL.
I hope your parents find out, especially if you're gonna hide it from them. Then I hope your dad feel sthe same way I do and kicks the shit out of you...that will teach you to slow down! Don't post shit on here about doubling speedlimits unless it's a closed circuit track or dragstrip! That's retarded!
Old 02-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered AssHat

Crap. My 38 in a 25 was $230.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by cmf
How can you expect to put up a post like that and not get harassed. Dude you were almost going double the speed limit. I have a little kid 2 yrs old that rides with me daily. Unless the highway was empty (even then it's too fast), you were blasting by people at a serious rate of speed. I'd call the cops on you myself, and when they pulled you over, I'd stop too and tell them I wanted to kick your ass for putting my family's life at danger.
Slow down you fast ass bastard, or find a track someplace. I know there are a lot of them in FL.
I hope your parents find out, especially if you're gonna hide it from them. Then I hope your dad feel sthe same way I do and kicks the shit out of you...that will teach you to slow down! Don't post shit on here about doubling speedlimits unless it's a closed circuit track or dragstrip! That's retarded!
YEAH CMF!!!! GIVE IT TO HIM!!!

I have to agree...you post stuff like that in a public forum and then have the balls to say "I don't need your negative posts"...good luck with all that!

I'm shocked that the cops didn't just take your license right there! If I were that cop, I would've tossed you into the back of my squad car, taken away your license and had your precious TSX towed & impounded (and told the tow truck driver to be extra rough with it).

And then all the other "young folks" on here can't figure out why they get a hard time when they say their parents are going to buy them a new TSX! (BTW, I'm not some old fart spouting off about "kids today"...I'm only 28 and my TSX is paid for by ME! Not Mom & Dad)

Have fun in traffic school!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:38 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Crap. My 38 in a 25 was $230.
A few years ago my WIFE was caught doing 90 in a 55 .... in Wyoming.

For ONCE, for the FIRST TIME she didn't manage to charm/talk her way out of the ticket! (I got to laugh and say "You're gettin' old too, honey!")

The fine was $10. Well worth it, IMO.

(120mph on an Interstate Highway in Montana is one thing ... but in my own densely-populated state they usually confiscate your license on the spot for anything over 100. Second ticket for "reckless driving". Or so I've been told.)
Old 02-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Honesty is the best policy dude...be humble and let your parents know you learned a lesson and be serious about it. Be sure to get that out before they go kung fu on ur a$$. If you don't, like most others say...they will find out one way or another if the car is registered in their name and you are on their insurance policy (unless the insurance companies are just as lax in FL).

I am perplexed that you did not recieve a more serious citation. Are you going to be featured on COPS anytime soon? Would love to see how the TSX handles high speed chases.

Just kidding...be more careful next time.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What in the world are "points"? I dont think we have any such thing in Illinois. And WOW! $2000 for speeding! It's $75 in Illinois and you can usually get out of it too
Old 02-15-2004, 08:20 PM
6MT Snob

Some states have a point system. For example, let's say you got a ticket for making right on red with a no turn on red sign or got a ticket for doing 15 over, you still have a ticket on your record.

Other states have points, speeding is more points then more trivial violations that have less..

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/pointsystem.html

Here is a good example of how they work in TN.

And then if you hit a particular amount of points you can have your license suspended.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by gomez_regina
YEAH CMF!!!! GIVE IT TO HIM!!!

I have to agree...you post stuff like that in a public forum and then have the balls to say "I don't need your negative posts"...good luck with all that!

I'm shocked that the cops didn't just take your license right there! If I were that cop, I would've tossed you into the back of my squad car, taken away your license and had your precious TSX towed & impounded (and told the tow truck driver to be extra rough with it).

And then all the other "young folks" on here can't figure out why they get a hard time when they say their parents are going to buy them a new TSX! (BTW, I'm not some old fart spouting off about "kids today"...I'm only 28 and my TSX is paid for by ME! Not Mom & Dad)

Have fun in traffic school!

Do what you want, but if you were my kid :angry:

And if I found out but you didn't tell me :flamer:

p.s. never drive near me ever - that's crazy unsafe. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:55 PM
A-TSX Driver...

I'd do this to you...

Just my...
Old 02-15-2004, 10:01 PM
fhwagads

Give me a break. It sounds like none of you have ever been young before, give the guy a break. Ive gotten a speeding ticket(unintentional) and paid for it myself and my folks never found out, however, life is a lot easier if you just tell them and they pay it for you or what not. Atleast then your not living in fear of them finding out about it all the time.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

No break - speeding ticket is one thing, 48-over speed limit is another. As has been pointed out, he's already lucky he wasn't arrested.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Bound for Europe

Lucky you don't live in Finland, or one of those Scandanavian countries.
The ticket fees are based on personal income. Some dude who was caught blasting through the streets of Helsinki was given a $200 000 ticket for speeding.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally posted by FuriousGeorge83
Give me a break. It sounds like none of you have ever been young before, give the guy a break. Ive gotten a speeding ticket(unintentional) and paid for it myself and my folks never found out, however, life is a lot easier if you just tell them and they pay it for you or what not. Atleast then your not living in fear of them finding out about it all the time.
Oh no, we've all been young; but I don't think we've all tried to run away from taking responsibility for endangering other people's lives. There is nothing wrong with going 100+ mph...as long as you are on a closed course. However out on the public roads...that is another story. The original post almost eludes to the fact that it is possible to get away with wreckless behavior behind the wheel. I usually try to side with the underdog...but in this case he's gone a bit too far.

Plus I think my first reply was plenty merciful.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:17 PM
101 years of heartache...

yeah, totally agree. im 16 and love driving the tsx (mine 100% at 18 for college), but laws are set for a reason. yeah, i like pushing the gas and getting high reves, but you can either obey the limit and have no weight on your conscience, or push the speed up and be scared of cops. maybe im the little pussy that rarely shatters the rules, just breaks them slightly, but doing what he did is really bad. he's got to understand which im sure he does that what he did was wrong, whether he does it now or when hes 55. age does not matter, and im sure he has matured from this event. good luck tsx03.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

i dont know about the laws in FL but im sure a ticket like that requires a mandatory court appearance, given your age and the fact you were not only driving at nearly 2 times the legal limit but speeds that fast and that far over the limit im suprised the cop didnt also site you for reckless.
does FL have a point system? in colorado you would have been arrested, car impounded, license suspended, parents called, and ass in jail.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Teh seX

kids like you give other teenagers and young drivers that rep they have. be safe out there.. 100!! thats ridiculous enough on the freeway, but, on public roads?!...

i hope you learned your lesson but from your defensive stance on this whole subject from the very beginning i question your sincerity. do you really feel bad? what if you ran over a kid jaywalking? or a mother and her child? or your own mother, father, brother, or sister... you really dont know how bad it can get until it happens.. WISE UP and be happy you didnt kill anyone else or yourself.. and consider yourself lucky you dont live in cali cause you woulda probably been locked up..
Old 02-16-2004, 03:31 AM
Banned

I got a ticket for going over 100 in a 55/65 once near downtown los angeles. I got pulled over by two good-looking blond CHPs... I was really polite... and when they asked me if I knew how fast I was going I admitted that I really didn't know. They gave me 85 in a 65. I was 18 at the time and didn't realize the fact that they didn't show up in court would have resulted in me getting off scot free. So I paid the ticket, went to traffic school and have driven like a civilized human ever since.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by sunnyboy
Oh no, we've all been young; but I don't think we've all tried to run away from taking responsibility for endangering other people's lives. There is nothing wrong with going 100+ mph...as long as you are on a closed course. However out on the public roads...that is another story. The original post almost eludes to the fact that it is possible to get away with wreckless behavior behind the wheel. I usually try to side with the underdog...but in this case he's gone a bit too far.

Plus I think my first reply was plenty merciful.
Well, in Florida the highways are flat and straight. Most nights there is little if any traffic (old farts go to bed early). It is very easy and relatively safe to do 100+mph.

That said, highways in Florida are 70 or 75mph (I don't remember), so a 50 mph zone is due to "high congestion" or a suburban 4 lane. That is not safe.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:59 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
In Jersey, it's 65 mph, but with congestion it's usually 55mph. Open road, we're talking 85+ mph in the fast lane, 70-75 mph in the slow lanes. And it's rarely safe to do 100+ mph, we have some of the dumbest road designers, not to mention drivers.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:20 AM
bleh...

Police are really trying to crack down on aggressive driving. I am surprised they didn't fine you even more, or arrest you and take away your car considering the speed you were travelling at. Tell your parents before they find out and rip on you more. Also, the TSX isn't a race car, plus if you want to race take it to the track!

Here is operation R.A.D.A.R. thats going on in Broward County with the FHP....they are using undercover Marauders and Mustangs to pull over ppl like you. Just be safe and don't speed. I hope you learned your lesson!

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/PhotoGallery/PG011604.htm
Old 02-16-2004, 05:28 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
And it's rarely safe to do 100+ mph, we have some of the dumbest road designers, not to mention drivers.
It's all relative. While I don't condone what this kid did (does me calling him a kid make me that old), there are some things we don't know. There's a difference between doing 100 on a crowded local 4 lane and an empty Interstate meant for those speeds. I don't know what 595 in FL looks like but I can bet design wise it's not much worse than the unlimited speed sections of the Autobanh in Germany (which I do know). Knowing what's safe only comes with age (not by speed limits which are just a "tax" in the US). He is way too young to know that. Until something more serious than a speeding ticket happens, no amount of talk on this forum will get through to him.

BTW, just suck it up and come clean with the folks.

Biker, who feels real old now.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:58 AM
fhwagads

My thoughts exactly Biker. I didnt mean give him a break because being young gave him the right to do stupid things. He just doesnt have the concept of danger that comes with age.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Instructor

punks like this kid are what make my insurance cost $2K a year.

Not everyone under 30 is as reckless as some of the people on this forum.

Not everyone who mods their cars are street racers.

I'm tired of paying higher premiums for everybody elses mistakes.

KJLite for Prez in 2024!!!

btw, i smoked a celica gts on 440 last night!!!, ha, ha
Old 02-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by gocubsgo55
yeah, totally agree. im 16 and love driving the tsx (mine 100% at 18 for college), but laws are set for a reason. yeah, i like pushing the gas and getting high reves, but you can either obey the limit and have no weight on your conscience, or push the speed up and be scared of cops. maybe im the little pussy that rarely shatters the rules, just breaks them slightly, but doing what he did is really bad. he's got to understand which im sure he does that what he did was wrong, whether he does it now or when hes 55. age does not matter, and im sure he has matured from this event. good luck tsx03.
Are you like, a nerd or something?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:08 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

CRY ME A RIVER! You are lucky that you didn't get thrown in jail....thats all I have to say.

@ssholes like you are the ones that kill people because they think they can drive well, even at speeds that double the speed limit. Like someone mentioned above, I hope your rents beat the crap out of you and take away your car. People like you are the ones that cause me to have such a high insurance premium.

Sure everyone one of us wants to take out a car or two, but to double the speed limit is ridiculous. I am gonna guess that you weren't even "racing" anyone cause you didn't mention that, which gets me more upset.

PS: If you don't want to get flamed next time, don't post how you were being and idiot on a public forum.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:26 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
That said, highways in Florida are 70 or 75mph (I don't remember), so a 50 mph zone is due to "high congestion" or a suburban 4 lane. That is not safe.
My impression also, if they dropped the Interstate speed limit to 55 it must have been for some reason.

Like the German Autobahn, in the US rural Interstates were designed for safe 100mph travel, and that was long before even seat belts were universal equipment in cars. Before the first gas crisis in 1973-1974 some states like Nevada didn't even have speed limits on their rural highways.

More recently, Montana didn't have any daytime speed limits for a time.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by biker
It's all relative. While I don't condone what this kid did (does me calling him a kid make me that old), there are some things we don't know. There's a difference between doing 100 on a crowded local 4 lane and an empty Interstate meant for those speeds. I don't know what 595 in FL looks like but I can bet design wise it's not much worse than the unlimited speed sections of the Autobanh in Germany (which I do know). Knowing what's safe only comes with age (not by speed limits which are just a "tax" in the US). He is way too young to know that. Until something more serious than a speeding ticket happens, no amount of talk on this forum will get through to him.

BTW, just suck it up and come clean with the folks.

Biker, who feels real old now.
You took my quote out of context. I was talking specifically about NJ's roads. And trust me, you do not want to be doing 100+mph and suddenly come to a narrow bend where you'd have to slow down to 35mph, cause that's how some of the roads are like in NJ. Really dumb road designers.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by phile
...trust me, you do not want to be doing 100+mph and suddenly come to a narrow bend where you'd have to slow down to 35mph.... Really dumb road designers.
That's why the road designers put speed limits on the roads.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
That's why the road designers put speed limits on the roads.
That's not the point...who the hell would design such a road in the first place?
Old 02-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by phile
That's not the point...who the hell would design such a road in the first place?
Are you for real? Maybe it's a lover of RWD (proper handling) cars.