I made the upgrade to the 2nd gen tsx

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I made the upgrade to the 2nd gen tsx

after owning my 04, for only about five months, I came across an insanely great deal on an auto 2010 CBP, with black interior & tech package with less than 28,000 miles! What a massive improvement the 2nd gen has brought to the table! And the paddle shifters are pretty fun also lol! its stock for now, and no big plans for quite awhile, just gonna enjoy it. We all know what a stock black 2nd gen looks like, so no need for pics... But heres my favorite one of my 1st gen

Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats, enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Rdub81 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Racer

thank you!!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Could you have dropped your 1Gen about an inch lower? Nice looking TSX. Congrats on your 2Gen. IMHO, I had always thought the 1Gen was a better balanced car. Especially exhilirating with a 6MT.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Racer

Thanks!! Haha, I am definitely enjoying the stock ride height on my 2g. If/when I decide to lower the car, it won't be that low... Maybe lol. Yeah I haven't been fortunate enough to drive a 6mt, if I could have fond one in either generation I would have picked it up in a heart beat!!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Upgrade? As someone who did the same thing (came from an 05 though), I suppose I might use that word too. Massive improvement? Umm.... not so much.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Upgrade? As someone who did the same thing (came from an 05 though), I suppose I might use that word too. Massive improvement? Umm.... not so much.
what is you don't like so much? I really like the interior and exterior updates. I drive a minimum of 400 miles a weeks, so this is strictly a commuter car for me as of now. So it suites my needs fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I always like the styling of the +09 TSX better than the +09 TL. The TL has a better interior; but, the TSX has a better looking exterior. If I retire the 06 TSX, I would be looking for +09 TSX to replace it (assuming they will redesign the TSX and not kill it).
Rdub81 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdub81
what is you don't like so much? I really like the interior and exterior updates. I drive a minimum of 400 miles a weeks, so this is strictly a commuter car for me as of now. So it suites my needs fine.
I don't want to speak for Simba, though I have read his posts on comparing the two cars. I've also closely followed what the major car magazines said about each.

The biggest change and the one most talked about in reviews is that the 2nd generation car is bigger and heavier, making a marked change in the nimble handling that the first gen TSX had. The once once precise steering has also changed; going from hydraulic to electronic. Each took a good deal from what made the 1G TSX so highly regarded as a great handling front drive car. Car & Driver, who gave the first gen TSX Ten Best Cars awards three years in a row, (and none to the second gen TSX), regularly talks about how they miss the first generation TSX.

Lastly, one note: You went from a high mileage 2004 model, (that I'm guessing you never had a chance to drive new or with low miles), to a much newer car. That by itself probably makes a big difference for you. For those of us with low mileage cars, (my 06 has 49K on it), or who bought our cars new, it's not as big a contrast.

Also, the 2004 TSX is not the same as the 2006-08 cars, which have 13 more horsepower, and many luxury upgrades...(including bluetooth, XM, memory seats, power passenger seat, etc.)

I've driven two of the second generation cars for about a week total. The driving dynamics are indeed different...it just feels like bigger car, and not in a good way. But I do think it's a nice car. While the highly controversial grille is still big, the styling has grown on me. When my current TSX no longer excites me, the 2G TSX will be in consideration.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 08-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that there is a list of things that I don't like about the newer car. My only point was that my 010 is a considerably different car than my 05 was. It too is a great daily driver, and since I have used both mainly for what you evidently use yours (fairly long weekly trips), it works. After having my 010 for 8 months or so, I've decided that the change from the 05 to the 010 very much reminds me of moving back and forth between my wife's A4 and my A6 10 years ago. Both great cars, and certainly related, but different. I had made some performance modifications to my 05, but decided quite soon that I wasn't really interested in doing the same to the 010. The car just doesn't seem as inviting to mods (to me anyway), though many have modified theirs. Good luck with the car.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Congrats on the new ride!

I always like the styling of the +09 TSX better than the +09 TL. The TL has a better interior; but, the TSX has a better looking exterior. If I retire the 06 TSX, I would be looking for +09 TSX to replace it (assuming they will redesign the TSX and not kill it).
Thank you! And I completely agree!!
Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
I don't want to speak for Simba, though I have read his posts on comparing the two cars. I've also closely followed what the major car magazines said about each.

The biggest change and the one most talked about in reviews is that the 2nd generation car is bigger and heavier, making a marked change in the nimble handling that the first gen TSX had. The once once precise steering has also changed; going from hydraulic to electronic. Each took a good deal from what made the 1G TSX so highly regarded as a great handling front drive car. Car & Driver, who gave the first gen TSX Ten Best Cars awards three years in a row, (and none to the second gen TSX), regularly talks about how they miss the first generation TSX.

Lastly, one note: You went from a high mileage 2004 model, (that I'm guessing you never had a chance to drive new or with low miles), to a much newer car. That by itself probably makes a big difference for you. For those of us with low mileage cars, (my 06 has 49K on it), or who bought our cars new, it's not as big a contrast.

Also, the 2004 TSX is not the same as the 2006-08 cars, which have 13 more horsepower, and many luxury upgrades...(including bluetooth, XM, memory seats, power passenger seat, etc.)

I've driven two of the second generation cars for about a week total. The driving dynamics are indeed different...it just feels like bigger car, and not in a good way. But I do think it's a nice car. While the highly controversial grille is still big, the styling has grown on me. When my current TSX no longer excites me, the 2G TSX will be in consideration.
yeah I've also heard it called the best Buick ever made lol. Yes I didn't get my hands on my 1st gen as a low mileage car, and i agree with everyone else, that did seem to have more of a sport oriented feel & dynamic to it.
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I didn't mean to imply that there is a list of things that I don't like about the newer car. My only point was that my 010 is a considerably different car than my 05 was. It too is a great daily driver, and since I have used both mainly for what you evidently use yours (fairly long weekly trips), it works. After having my 010 for 8 months or so, I've decided that the change from the 05 to the 010 very much reminds me of moving back and forth between my wife's A4 and my A6 10 years ago. Both great cars, and certainly related, but different. I had made some performance modifications to my 05, but decided quite soon that I wasn't really interested in doing the same to the 010. The car just doesn't seem as inviting to mods (to me anyway), though many have modified theirs. Good luck with the car.
Thank you! Yeah I hear what you're saying, I too have question what, if anything, I will do to it... But with the driving I do, and it being a family car, it's a welcome change for us. We have my wife's 09 Camry that has always been the family hauler, but I liked driving my car as much as possible, and the wife & kids didn't enjoy it as much as i did when we used mine lol. And actually my wife took the "new" car over for the first week lol!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the 2nd gen purchase.

The 2nd gen still have nimble handling but its nowhere as good as the 1st gen. Its definitely must be the combination of the added weight, electronic steering, and possibly the overall chassis dynamics that sometimes just comes together like it did in the 1st gen TSX.
Rdub81 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Congrats on the 2nd gen purchase.

The 2nd gen still have nimble handling but its nowhere as good as the 1st gen. Its definitely must be the combination of the added weight, electronic steering, and possibly the overall chassis dynamics that sometimes just comes together like it did in the 1st gen TSX.
Thanks! I guess I didn't drive my 1st gen like it should have been lol. Oh well, I'm not gonna be ripping up some auto cross in this one either haha
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
yeah I've also heard it called the best Buick ever made lol. Yes I didn't get my hands on my 1st gen as a low mileage car, and i agree with everyone else, that did seem to have more of a sport oriented feel & dynamic to it.
Well, though it has different dynamics than the 1G TSX, I think it's still pretty good. I've heard the "best Buick ever made" statement...I read it in Car & Driver in a Lexus ES350 review. (Same platform as your wife's Camry.) I think your 2G TSX is much sportier and has better handling than either of those cars...and certainly better than any Buick.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
Well, though it has different dynamics than the 1G TSX, I think it's still pretty good. I've heard the "best Buick ever made" statement...I read it in Car & Driver in a Lexus ES350 review. (Same platform as your wife's Camry.) I think your 2G TSX is much sportier and has better handling than either of those cars...and certainly better than any Buick.
Yeah I am very happy with it! And most deft innately better than any Buick lol!!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never driven a buick but i bet it is way better.
Can't say how it is compared to the 1st Gen though. I am comparing it with my EK hatch, however. And with everything stock, I can say it can keep up with my little hatchback in the twisties. Although the EK is still much better, It does have a lot of suspension upgrades. I dropped it slightly with Prokits on adjustable dampers and held tight with front and rear strut bars and swaybars. I know it's unfair to compare a short wheelbase hatch with the heavy and longer TSX but i wanted to gauge how the handling is. Coming from a non-powersteering civic to an electric powersteering TSX, It does not feel numb at all. I get ample feedback and the ride is smoother whereas the civic is torturing. it does not hug tight turns like the civic but i feel confident about how it handles. Only minimal body roll. With the way it handles, i feel that If I sell my civic, I can upgrade the suspension and get equal or better handling.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cris_crozz
I've never driven a buick but i bet it is way better.
Can't say how it is compared to the 1st Gen though. I am comparing it with my EK hatch, however. And with everything stock, I can say it can keep up with my little hatchback in the twisties. Although the EK is still much better, It does have a lot of suspension upgrades. I dropped it slightly with Prokits on adjustable dampers and held tight with front and rear strut bars and swaybars. I know it's unfair to compare a short wheelbase hatch with the heavy and longer TSX but i wanted to gauge how the handling is. Coming from a non-powersteering civic to an electric powersteering TSX, It does not feel numb at all. I get ample feedback and the ride is smoother whereas the civic is torturing. it does not hug tight turns like the civic but i feel confident about how it handles. Only minimal body roll. With the way it handles, i feel that If I sell my civic, I can upgrade the suspension and get equal or better handling.
Yeah, really the handling is a non factor for me. As this car and my 1st gen were good ole daily drivers for me.