I dropped something in my Handbrake...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped something in my Handbrake...

You know that little tag that the oil shop put on your windshield to remind you when your next oil change is due? Well...there was one on the bottom of my cup holder and it was stuck to the bottom of my bottle of water. I picked up the bottle and reached to grab the tag but it fell right inside the hand brake! on the driver's side too! I mean... geez... given the clearance on the driver's side... the possibility of just unintentionally dropping something in PERFECTLY through that gap is slim to none... but it happened. And I can't reach inside to pull it out.

Is there anything inside the hand brake that the little tag could cause damage to? gears or whatnot? o_0
Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Instructor

Well, assuming you just dropped it in the centre console, no, it's fine. Nothing is really in there that it can damage, unless it somehow decided to wrap itself around a bunch of cables or something.

No, even then it'd still be fine. If it really bothers you, pull the console and get it out. The shift linkage etc. is too far away from that point to really make a difference, but a sticker is a sticker.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

how would you take off the console. i want to tighten my hand brake. i have to pull it up all the way if i want it to stop all the way. if you guys can direct me where i can get this info or something that would be great
Old 07-11-2008, 07:38 PM
resident asshole

i love it when impossible shit like that happens...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do not drop your Blackberry or iPhone between the seats and the console, there is like no room below.

Your hand will get deformed after trying to fish it out i swear.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Do not drop your Blackberry or iPhone between the seats and the console, there is like no room below.

Your hand will get deformed after trying to fish it out i swear.
That happened waaay too many times to me when I had my RAZR
Old 07-13-2008, 04:59 PM
私はより良い

Originally Posted by TommySalami
That happened waaay too many times to me when I had my RAZR
lol me too
theres probably some designer in acura laughing his head off knowing that he caused some poor soul to have his hand chopped up every time his cell phone slid down that stupid crevice
Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I want to check the parking brake "hood" clip, so if anyone has a link for DIY instructions for removing the console cover, I'd appreciate it. I was told there's a DIY here, but couldn't find it.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
I want to check the parking brake "hood" clip, so if anyone has a link for DIY instructions for removing the console cover, I'd appreciate it. I was told there's a DIY here, but couldn't find it.
I also need this, along with instructions on removing the top cubby hole in the center of the dash (the one above the 'not an ashtray').
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

might want to check out the short shifter instructions (neuspeed). i don't remember 100%, but it might tell you how to access the area you need.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TommySalami
I also need this, along with instructions on removing the top cubby hole in the center of the dash (the one above the 'not an ashtray').
I've found those instructions during someone's recent, detailed DIY for installing ambient lighting (I think). The top cubby hole snaps out, but you have to know in what direction.

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
might want to check out the short shifter instructions (neuspeed). i don't remember 100%, but it might tell you how to access the area you need.
Second time I've heard this. Alas, it's not in the DIY index, and a search didn't bring it up (this site rather annoyingly limits search to 1 per 60 seconds, meaning you can take 5 minutes to search only 5 times, and still come up empty).

Search for "shifter" posted by "neuspeed" yields Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Neuspeed is the company that makes it, not the user who posted the DIY.

From installing my Dice Ipod adapter, this is what I remember.

1) Remove the top cubby hole thing. It pulls straight out at about the same angle as the bottom of the compartment. No screws, just friction clips. There is a light attached to the back of the bin which you will need some narrow needle nose pliers if you want to disconnect it completely (it gives you more room to work with).

2) Remove the "not an ashtray" bin. I don't think this is totally necessary though. There are 4 screws, 2 on top, 2 on bottom. Comes right out once the screws are out.

3) Remove the center console plastic piece. This is the piece that starts right below the "not an ashtray" bin and extends all the way back to the bottom of the center arm rest. There are no screws, just friction clips and they are tight as hell the first time you take it off. To make matters worse, it's a pretty flimsy piece of plastic.

I've seen several methods to pry it out. What I did is start from the front and work my way back. I got the best grip I could on the lip right below the non-ashtray and pulled upward. You need to pull hard but be careful that when the clips pop out you're not going to bend it so far it cracks. Once you get the first set of clips to pop free, work your way back popping the clips. I believe there are 8 in total. There will be wires connected to the bottom for the seat heater switches and there is not a ton of play to work with. If you want to remove the piece completely, take your shift knob off.

When you put it back together put a very light coat of grease on the metal part of clips. This will keep them from corroding and make it much easier the next time around.

I hope that helps. I know it's not the most descriptive but it's what I can remember off the top of my head. The basic gist is a whole lot of trying to find something to grab and then pulling. For the top cubby hole, I put my fists in the box and then squeeze them so they wedge against the top and bottom.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Best description I've read. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

it was on the neuspeed website:

http://www.neuspeed.com/data/installs/66.20.86.pdf

hth
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

btw, to remove the center console (the entire center section w/ cupholders, shifter, heated seat buttons), it is actually easier to start from the back and work your way up. you will want to use the handle of a needle nose plier and stick it in the section right behind the ebrake. use the other handle as leverage and pull the center console up. you should hear two loud clicks from the clips on the back of the console. after that, removing it is a piece of cake.