Houston Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston Dealerships

hi...so im ready to buy a tsx, but i dont know too much about buying cars--this will be my first one. does anyone have any tips for me on getting the best deal in houston? any particular dealerships or salesman stand out? i was hoping since its july, prices might decrease. ive also heard that its best to buy at the end of the month. since i cant wait till the 31, does it make any difference buying it the 15th vs the 25th or so? thanks for your help
Old 07-14-2004, 03:36 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a guy who sells Acuras in Austin. If you're willing to make the drive I can guarantee my friend won't be undersold. We're old A-CL buddies and worked on cars together for a while now. PM me if you want his contact info.

So far as market value, check raound here. Your best bet will be to call around. They hate dealing price over the phone but it is possible. You just have to play them the right way. Get prices, shop around. Don't waste your time and actually go to a dealer until you're ready to make the deal. They'll give you every which reason to come in just decline until you're ready with a price in mind and want to buy. Their tactic is to wear you down once you get there and throw numbers around until you're so tired of it you just want to be done.

I got my CLS back in August of '02 ('03 model so it was near beginning of the sales year for that model) for $300 below invoice. I'm not expecting your TSX to sell for that far below invoice but keep in mind tha they'll also be making $$$ even if they sell it to you at invoice. Also, if you're in Houston... if you're asian, which lots of Houston folks are , then you may want to avoid at all costs an asian salesman. same thing if you're any other minority group. don't deal with a salesperson from your same minority group. they'll try to sucker you in and play buddy buddy with you. Just keep in mind that it's their job to get you to pay as much as possible, not to get you a great deal.

So... bottom line is, if you come in to a dealership to talk and talk prices with them. be prepare to leave. it's normal. they're going to dick you around for a while and once you know the price at on place, go to the next place and tell them you want a price that's a little lower than that. don't tell them you've alread been somewhere else. always overshoot on the low end. it's easy to make a higher offer later. Let's say they one place offered to sell it to you for $25,000.00. Then the next place you go to you'd say "hey, I'm looking to pay $24500... see how lcose they can get to it and keep moving on.

make sure you go to all the dealerships and talk to someone. on the phone is easier since this requires a lot of legwork. in the end you'll have an idea of what price you should be paying by comparing the diff dealers and who you want to do business with. don't ever expect to go see a car once and that's it. there are NEVER one day only deals. If they want your business they'll make the deal another day for you.

also, be ware the options. they'll try to gouge you on those. know how much their worth and how much their invoice is on those.

oh and finally is financing. if you have good vredit then you can get financing anywhere and the best deals are probably there at the dealer BUT check your bank just in case. Once you've dealt price with them tlel 'em "hey, I'm gonna finance this much, how much are you gonna knock off for me for financing this car" remember that they get paid for you financing wtih them as well. it's no different than a person helping you get a mortgage on a house. they get a commission. make sure that some of that money that the dealership gets goes back into the price of your car and they rebate you a bit. If you're paying cash straight up like I have done in thep ast then this won't help you much. however, you might consider if there's a really low finance rate that you may want to go ahead and pay the interest while also getting your discount on the price of the car. you don't get chanrged anything if you go ahead the next day and pay it off even after you've opened up your loan.

I think that about covers car buying 101. Just be patient and make sure you're happy with what you're getting 110%. This is a investment with a continually deppreciating value so you shoudln't make sure that you're burning your money in the right place and for the right price. It'll suck if you come out of the experience feeling cheated. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:33 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have or know of anyone who has costco, sams club, AAA memberships - look into their car buying programs...it could save you time and hassle.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by rsl5181
hi...so im ready to buy a tsx, but i dont know too much about buying cars--this will be my first one. does anyone have any tips for me on getting the best deal in houston? any particular dealerships or salesman stand out? i was hoping since its july, prices might decrease. ive also heard that its best to buy at the end of the month. since i cant wait till the 31, does it make any difference buying it the 15th vs the 25th or so? thanks for your help
Mark Wedgeworth @ John Eagle Acura. Buy on the 30th.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:39 AM
I make Boom Boom in

Buying your TSX in Houston? Read this...

Here is how I did it. I researched using Edmunds.com and kbb.com and sent out internet solicitation. The next day, I got a no-haggle quote from John Eagle Acura for like $25,900. I then called all the dealerships in Houston, TX and Austin, TX and asked them what was their best out the door price. David McDavid Acura in Austin came back with a possible $27,000 OTD. The highest OTD price I was gonna pay was $27,200 (invoice + 3% profit margin + shipping) with no money down and a max of 6.95% financing for 60 months. The internet manager at Sterling Acura in Austin said he could probably go below $27,000 OTD, but when I called later to confirm his offer, the internet manager said he wasn't interested in my business. Whatever. No one else in Houston or Austin would touch the $27,000 OTD price, so I called David McDavid Acura and ask the internet manager (Britt) if his offer was still good. He told me he could do it for $27,600 OTD, so I countered with Sterling Acura can do it for $27,000. It was a lil white lie . He called me later with an OTD price of $27, 017. Good thing too because I was willing to pay $27,200. So basically, I paid around $25,200 before TT&L. About 500 over invoice. I told Britt to get all the paper work ready and have the car prepped so I can take it for a spin when I get into town and before I sign any papers. Jumped in my gf's ride and got to Austin 15 minutes after they closed. Oh, I told them I got my own financing at 5.95% @ 60 months. Honda/Acura financing got me a better APR, under 5.95% for 60 months with no money down. Signed the papers and walked out the door that night with a showroom floor NBP/ebony/5at/non-navi without putting any money down and no fussing with finance. Easiest car purchase I ever made and Britt was a really cool salesman. I am sure someone can probably get a lower OTD price than me, especially when the '05's come out. If you guys have any other questions feel free to post or PM me. I hope this helps anyone else who is looking to buy any vehicle in the future for a good fair price. Hopes this helps Slutabunga and tell Britt, Tony sent you .

Tips on getting the best price:
1. Do your research (I like kbb.com & edmunds.com) and negotiate from actual dealers cost (invoice - factory to dealer incentives - rebates - holdback).
2. Get bids from all dealerships in your area and make the dealership fight for your business. Have a budget in mind that you won't go over.
3. Line up your financing, know what your credit score is.
4. Get the best offer in writing <--- this is very important!!
5. Buy towards the end of the month when dealerships are hurting for sales (December 31st is one of the best time to buy). Someone mentioned the 30th of the month is the best b/c that's the end of the month for dealerships.
6. Sign papers and leave with a new car.

And the most important advice I can give you is make sure you get everything you negotiate (price financing, etc...) in writing!!

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sauceman posted an excellent discussion on purchasing a car. It was within the last week. Do a search.

Found it. Here's the link: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11993
Old 07-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Advanced

I got my car exactly a year ago (July 2003). I bought it from Charlie Thomas. I paid $25,200 for a Pearl White/Parchment/5AT/No Navi.

took some effort. However, I got my deal online. I sent emails to 6 dealers (Houston and Austin) offering $25,000 for the above in either Pearl White or Milano Red. Two dealers didn't reply. Two said they sell it only at MSRP (Gillman and Sterling McCall). One countered by $500 below MSRP (John Eagle). And Charlie Thomas replied by offering $25,500. I countered by $25,200 and they accepted. Out of the door price was $27025. No freebies!!

It was a very hassle free experience. I got to the dealer. It was their last TSX in their lot as they sold the other one on the same day. The car got actually in the show room on the same day. It was the color I wanted. I got no pressure from them. We signed the deal and did the financing through Honda Financial for 3.54%. I was out of there in less than an hour with my new car. The car had 25 miles on the odometer.

Very positive experience. No trade-in invloved.

In Janurary 2004, a coworker was buying a TSX, she received a similar offer from Charlie Thomas but They didn't have the color she was looking for. John Eagle offered her $25,700 whaich wasn't that bad (auto, non-navi).
Old 07-14-2004, 06:55 PM
I make Boom Boom in

Originally Posted by AlexTheMan
I got my car exactly a year ago (July 2003). I bought it from Charlie Thomas. I paid $25,200 for a Pearl White/Parchment/5AT/No Navi.

took some effort. However, I got my deal online. I sent emails to 6 dealers (Houston and Austin) offering $25,000 for the above in either Pearl White or Milano Red. Two dealers didn't reply. Two said they sell it only at MSRP (Gillman and Sterling McCall). One countered by $500 below MSRP (John Eagle). And Charlie Thomas replied by offering $25,500. I countered by $25,200 and they accepted. Out of the door price was $27025. No freebies!!

It was a very hassle free experience. I got to the dealer. The car got actually in the show room on the same day. It was the color I wanted. I got no pressure from them. We signed the deal. I was out of there in less than an hour with my new car. The car had 25 miles on the odometer.

Very positive experience. No trade-in invloved.

Hey Alex, seems like you bought the car the same way I bought mine
Old 07-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Houston we have a problem

Tony Chen @ Sterling McCall Acura

Very good buying and service experience. Free car wash after each service, and always have a loaner car. If I'm buying another Acura, it'll be from them, particularly from Tony.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Racer

Philip Chan @ Sterling Mccall Acura

My Girlfriend just bought TSX with Navi from him..... he give me a super good deal........... you should really go see him....... just say Daniel refer u there
Old 12-05-2004, 12:08 PM
cmf
ATCer

I think the day of the month you buy a car is BS. If a dealer wants to sell cars, they will do so. Use numbers you see posted by other members on this forum, take it to the dealer and tell them those are numbers you were offered. Most dealers will bite off that.
Check out this thread, I think 2 or 3 members were searching in the Austin area. 3 hour drive that could save you $$$$. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17835
Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

purchased a 2005 tsx last saturday: cgp/ebony/navi/auto from gillman acura for $27900. negotiated price via internet. originally, i asked for $27500. out the door total came out to about $29800, roughly.

also fielded quotes from sterling mccall, champion gulf, john eagle in houston and david mcdavid and sterling in austin. i think sterling mccall quoted me at $28800 and champion gulf quoted me at $30900 out the door.

once we agreed on the price, the internet salesman said he'd need me to put down a deposit to hold the car for 3 days. gave him my credit card number but by the time i got to the dealership, he said he hadn't charged my card. got to the dealership saturday morning at 10:30 and they were detailing and washing/waxing my car. got to watch them do that for a few minutes. then waited around for awhile to sign the paperwork with the finance guy. that was my first car buying experience so it went smoothly with the salesman, but the experience with the finance guy wasn't as memorable. but eventually, all the paperwork was signed and completed and got my keys. the salesman then sat with me for about 5 minutes in the car to show me the navi features. dunno why i agreed to that since i played around with it before! but anyhow, at that point i was just elated to have the car. then i drove off with a big smile on my face!

oh yea...luckily i didn't get any dealer frames or stickers or decals. and yea...this car is sweet. picked up the car with 16 miles on it. it's just too bad i have to sit here at work while dreaming about driving the car. and i had originally wanted quartz interior, but it's not like ebony is a drawback. just have to get the windows tinted before the hot season arrives here in houston...which will be like in 2 weeks! anyways, great car! and lastly, a big thank you for everyone here at this forum. everyone's threads and posts have been very informative and helpful!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Master in Science

This is a really old thread!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

well yea i know, but i didn't want to start a new one.