Honda Accord 5-Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003 | 06:45 PM
Pro

Thumbs up Honda Accord 5-Speed

I went down to the Acura dealer today hoping to test drive a TSX 6-speed, but unfortunatly there wasn't one avaliable. So I decided to test drive an Accord instead, since that's what I wanted before they came out with the TSX. The '04 Accord 5-speed drove really great. Now I'm considering it over a TSX for several reasons:
1) Cost a few thousand less
2) Runs on regular and gets better mileage
3) Almost as fast (at least looking at the #'s)

The car felt plenty zippy. According the Car and Driver, a 5-speed Accord hits 60 in 7.5 seconds and takes the TSX 7.2. Not bad. Anyway, just thought I'd pass that on. I may change my mind when I finally drive the TSX.

Slats
Old 12-12-2003 | 06:49 PM
Photography Nerd

I was actually considering the Accord Coupe 6MT when I was shopping for the TSX and I was pretty impressed with it. It definitely had more power than the TSX but it just didn't have the same handling. Either car is a great choice.
Old 12-12-2003 | 06:58 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

You can't go wrong either way.
There was no TSX, when I bought my car.
Not that I could have afforded it.

I love the Accord Navi too, not sure if the TSX has the same.
You'll love owning either car.
Old 12-12-2003 | 07:00 PM
Pro

You just said Accords suck on another forum!? You like em or not!?
Old 12-12-2003 | 09:04 PM
Registered AssHat

I also drove a 2003 Accord EX 5MT before I bought the TSX. I also owned a 1990, 1997, and 1999 Accord LX 5MT before and have driven (parents) 1997, 1999 Accord EX-V6s.

I was DAMN impressed. The 2003+ Accords are really nice cars, even over what they were (aside from styling).

But, I was even more impressed by the TSX. Similar, but different.
Old 12-12-2003 | 09:49 PM
Advanced

This topic comes up over and over and over.

Either way you'll be happy. Drive both and decide what you like better and what is more important. The features are pretty comparable between the two besides HIDs and a few other minor differences. As I said though, either vehicle will be a great choice and i'm sure you'll be happy.
Old 12-13-2003 | 05:19 AM
Inspired

Two flavors of 4 cylinder Accords competing. Either way you win
Old 12-13-2003 | 02:34 PM
Pro

Have any of you driven a 5spd accord and 6spd TSX? If so, is the Accord almost as fast as the TSX as the numbers suggest?

Slats
Old 12-13-2003 | 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Before you decide on the accord, have patience & wait for TSX 6MT to be available for you to test drive & then make your decision in that way you'll have no regrets later.
Old 12-13-2003 | 06:26 PM
Pro

Yeah, I agree dawg. The salesman is going to call me when they get one in.

Slats
Old 12-13-2003 | 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

I test drove a 4 cylinder Accord (and a TSX) today. Before that, I had drove a Passat (dealership sold VW's and Honda's). I liked the Passat's ride a lot more. Better handling for me, I adapted to the breaks better, the interior was more comfortable.

Accord was nice inside though.
Old 12-13-2003 | 09:56 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by Watchers Eye
I test drove a 4 cylinder Accord (and a TSX) today. Before that, I had drove a Passat (dealership sold VW's and Honda's). I liked the Passat's ride a lot more. Better handling for me, I adapted to the breaks better, the interior was more comfortable.

Accord was nice inside though.
Wow, I'm very surprised you found the Passat's ride better then the TSX. Was the TSX too stiff for you?

Did VW fix the flimsy cup holder in the Passat, the earlier versions of the current passat had cheap feeling material and flimsy plastic. Lots of people liked the materials, I wasn't a fan.
Old 12-13-2003 | 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Ah, was referring to it being better than the Accords. TSX was nice, if anything, it was the way the interior was laid out. The little wrap around where your right knee hits kinda bothered me.
Old 12-13-2003 | 10:26 PM
Not an Ashtray

The ride is better in a Passat than both the Accord and TSX. In fact, in terms of ride quality, I'd rank the TSX dead last. The Passat has one of the nice rides in the class.

The TSX actually has a few more features than the Accord 4-Cyl. Some key ones:

HIDS
Stability Control
Homelink
Perforated leather
Autodim rearview mirror
Better sound system
Longer warranty

I think you'll also find the material quality to be slightly nicer (like better leather) in the TSX.

But, otherwise, the Acceleration on a 5-speed 4-cyl is fine, peppy even. The handling should be better than the V6 Accord, which is a bit nose heavy and ungainly. And, it will have more room than the TSX.

All in all, a 4-cyl 5-speed Accord would be a fine choice.
Old 12-13-2003 | 10:47 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I raze about Accords here all the time, I love Accords-own an Accord. But I love the TSX--I'd never say the TSX is better then the Accord. (Mainly b/c I concider it a top of the line Accord.)

But, I'm tired of which should I get banter. Bottom line, I think this is a TSX forum, questions should be TSX related in nature to a degree. I hope no one would come here thinking this forum is good for conparison shopping. This board is biased TSX, if you can't decide on a car, please get a copy of consumer reports. If you test drive a car and can't decide, I doubt we can help you--I think a lot of folks have buyers pre-remorse. I'm sure if this is b/c the car payments are at the limit of expense or what?

I think this board should answer FAQ's on the TSX compared to other cars. But I'm tired of which should I get. I'm also tired of the I bought the blah-blah instead of the TSX. I think the TSX is the best 25-30k car on the market right now, a majority of the press would agree. I personally think anyone stating it isn't is likely saying so b/c they couldn't swing its sticker.

Basically, my current feel for a lot of folks coming here asking and not buying a TSX is sticker price. If you drive a TSX love the car and then state I got this deal on such-and-such. You bailed on the TSX for a few bucks up front cash. Unless your wiggit won't fit and you always travel with the wiggit, I see know reason to skip on the TSX for a few bucks in initial price. If you shop the Accord and TSX and pass on the TSX because the Honda dealer gave you break and the big-A wouldn't, you weren't buying a TSX in the first place-you wanted status per dollar value. Now if you bought the Accord for room and other reasons simaliar, I can live with that.

If the Accord platform, rev silky K24A at 200hp and 6-gears of pure joy--doesn't do it for you, you came to the wrong board to begin with.
Well enough ranting for one night, I'm going to bed :P
Old 12-14-2003 | 10:01 AM
Pro

Good greif man! Just comparing the two (they're both accords anyway). I'm still very interested in the TSX and that's why I'm here talking about em.

Slats
Old 12-14-2003 | 01:12 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

My banter was NOT intended for ANYONE in specific.
Old 12-14-2003 | 10:52 PM
Pro

Originally posted by MrChad
... this is a TSX forum, questions should be TSX related in nature to a degree. I hope no one would come here thinking this forum is good for conparison shopping. This board is biased TSX...

... But I'm tired of which should I get. I'm also tired of the I bought the blah-blah instead of the TSX...
I hope comparsion shoppers use this board. It's flat-out the largest and most knowledgable group of TSX owners on the net and they have firsthand knowledge of the vehicle. Much more than reviewers who evaluated the car for a week.

Yes, of course as owners, we are biased, so...

I would hope that prospective buyers also visit the boards of the other cars they are considering as well.

Many members here also own other cars, and I suspect most who have purchased a TSX have also done their own comparison shopping and can share their experiences.

Not every thread is of interest to all members. Free feel to ignore the topics you are tired of and not discourage new members from asking the same questions that those of us who have been around for a while have heard before.
Old 12-15-2003 | 10:36 AM
Pro

Thanks for sticking up for me, kite.

Slats
Old 12-15-2003 | 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm a long-time Accord owner, and I would have seriously considered the 4-cylinder Accord (which has the same basic K24 engine as the TSX) but I could not stomach the Accord's bloated styling.

The 4-cylinder Accord MT has handling that's fairly similar to the TSX.

The 6-cylinder Accord is known for its numb cushy ride, so it's curious for me to read that people have compared the Accord 6 with the TSX and not the profoundly more similar 4-cylinder Accord with the TSX.

Some articles on vtec.net include some comparison tests between the Accords and the TSX. They are all very worthy performance-wise. For value, the Accord wins. For style, the TXS wins. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-15-2003 | 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Brad
The 6-cylinder Accord is known for its numb cushy ride, so it's curious for me to read that people have compared the Accord 6 with the TSX and not the profoundly more similar 4-cylinder Accord with the TSX.
I think a big part of the reason why a lot of folks are comparing the V6 Accord to the TSX is that they're very close in price. As such, I think it's a lot more likely that you'd be cross shopping a V6 Accord and a TSX than a 4-cylinder Accord and a TSX.

I also think the mindset of a Accord V6 buyer is very similar to that of a person considering a TSX. They're looking for something reliable that still offers some driving excitement (though the Accord offers a lot less than the TSX ;-).

This is just a guess, but I think 4-cylinder Accord buyers are driven more by the value proposition than performance.
Old 12-15-2003 | 10:33 PM
Pro

I currently drive a 4cyl 4AT 1998 Accord EX.

Sorry if I'm interfering in this thread, just seemed like a good place to ask my question.

My question is, How much more of a difference in power is my Accord compared to the TSX. Will I get a better kick? Is a 5AT a big difference? I don't think I'll get the 6MT. ( not really interested in sitting in traffic with it.)

I can feel the Vtec in my Accord. I know its not the fastest car in the world. I just want to step up to a higher level. I'm thinking that if the TSX is not at least a significant jump in power, I'll wait to save a bit more money and go for the TL. I would prefer to stay with the TSX since I can spend less money.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-15-2003 | 11:31 PM
Not an Ashtray

Well, I had a 96 Accord before I got my TSX. I feel that there is a big jump in power. I notice it, in particular, when climbing hills or getting on the highway with the A/C running. The TSX is not a road rocket or anything, but it is quite a bit more peppy than the two Accords I had.
Old 12-15-2003 | 11:45 PM
Pro

Yes, but keep in mind that the 96 Accords had less power than the 98-02's. Also, the 03+ Accords have even more power. I was impressed. My advise if you like automatics is to look at the Accord V-6. You can get a TSX 5AT but it kinda defetes the purpose of owning such a sporty car.

Slats
Old 12-16-2003 | 08:50 AM
Pro

I want the 5AT on the TSX. I'm not looking to race my car whether I get a G35 or TL or anything. I just want more power when it comes to passing and merging onto highways. I could care less that someone can beat me off the line.

I'm more interested in the other things that the TSX offers. All the bling. I love the bling. TSX IMO look way better than an accord. I could live wihtout a V6 and the I4 will save me on gas. I have a 70 mile round trip commute to work.

How different is a 4AT and a 5AT. My accord doesn't like downshifting much. And when I do, It revs like a maniac and I know its burning alot of gas. I know with SS I can control it. But does the 5AT shift more intelligently on its own than my 4AT?
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:39 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by HuKaShI
I want the 5AT on the TSX. I'm not looking to race my car whether I get a G35 or TL or anything. I just want more power when it comes to passing and merging onto highways. I could care less that someone can beat me off the line.

I'm more interested in the other things that the TSX offers. All the bling. I love the bling. TSX IMO look way better than an accord. I could live wihtout a V6 and the I4 will save me on gas. I have a 70 mile round trip commute to work.

How different is a 4AT and a 5AT. My accord doesn't like downshifting much. And when I do, It revs like a maniac and I know its burning alot of gas. I know with SS I can control it. But does the 5AT shift more intelligently on its own than my 4AT?
Have you thought of getting an Audi A4? Sounds like you want a CVT--the A4 CVT was highly praised when new few years back. The car may suffer many typical VW issues, but this clearly sounds like what you want, bling-bling with sporth shift no driver input needed.