Homelink range

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 03:05 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Homelink range

Well after 2 months of owning the TSX and struggling to programm homelink myself, phone calls with homelink support and my garage door maker, I finaly got the dam thing to work!

So..out comes the old clunky transmitter. Today I try it out for the first time drving up to my house and I notice that the range isnt very far. It seems to be much shorter than the transmitter I was using before. Is this normal? How far away are you guys getting yours to work? Mine didnt work untill I was on my driveway. Maybe it was a one time thing..I'll have to try again later

Anyways, I'm happy its finally working.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Homelink range

Originally posted by fdl
Well after 2 months of owning the TSX and struggling to programm homelink myself, phone calls with homelink support and my garage door maker, I finaly got the dam thing to work!

So..out comes the old clunky transmitter. Today I try it out for the first time drving up to my house and I notice that the range isnt very far. It seems to be much shorter than the transmitter I was using before. Is this normal? How far away are you guys getting yours to work? Mine didnt work untill I was on my driveway. Maybe it was a one time thing..I'll have to try again later

Anyways, I'm happy its finally working.
Yup the range is extremely short for the homelink and the keyles entry transmitter. I guess these are for safety reasons. What if you open your garage/car doors from far away and someone gets in? Oh, fdl, u must have had a rolling code on your garage. I be that is why you had such a hard time with it.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Homelink range

Originally posted by tehCOW
Yup the range is extremely short for the homelink and the keyles entry transmitter. I guess these are for safety reasons. What if you open your garage/car doors from far away and someone gets in? Oh, fdl, u must have had a rolling code on your garage. I be that is why you had such a hard time with it.

I dont have a rolling code garage door opener. My problem was my garage door receiver is very very very very old. So the transmitters send out a jittery signal. I needed to use a newer transmitter for the same receiver and it worked. It took me a while and a few phone calls to figure this all out though.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: Homelink range

Originally posted by fdl
I dont have a rolling code garage door opener. My problem was my garage door receiver is very very very very old. So the transmitters send out a jittery signal. I needed to use a newer transmitter for the same receiver and it worked. It took me a while and a few phone calls to figure this all out though.
sounds like its time for a new garage door opener soon. i just recently chnaged my garage opener from the one at costco. the first sign of the garage opener going bad was the trasmitters and the receiver were going bad. If you get a new garage opener, good luck with the install. It takes quite a bit of time =/
Old 09-05-2003, 03:46 PM
such a dirty birdy

My dealer (salesman) showed us how program the Homelink and trained it for us with the old opener. I have a rolling code opener, so I had to fiddle with that a bit back at home (press button on opener for a few seconds while wife presses homelink button), no big deal.

The range is quite short, shorter than the original remote which doesn't have great range either. Also, I have to hold the button down for a few seconds, a quick push doesn't do it. If the range were just a wee bit greater I could hit the button and drive in without having to stop/slow down, but it's a pretty minor thing. The convenience of not having to have a separate opener is worth it.

tehCOW, you sure you didn't just need some new batteries for the transmitters? When my last opener went bad, I knew for certain it had a problem because it derailed the door and dropped it on the roof of my car. Ouch!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Racer

Originally posted by majormojo
My dealer (salesman) showed us how program the Homelink and trained it for us with the old opener. I have a rolling code opener, so I had to fiddle with that a bit back at home (press button on opener for a few seconds while wife presses homelink button), no big deal.

The range is quite short, shorter than the original remote which doesn't have great range either. Also, I have to hold the button down for a few seconds, a quick push doesn't do it. If the range were just a wee bit greater I could hit the button and drive in without having to stop/slow down, but it's a pretty minor thing. The convenience of not having to have a separate opener is worth it.

tehCOW, you sure you didn't just need some new batteries for the transmitters? When my last opener went bad, I knew for certain it had a problem because it derailed the door and dropped it on the roof of my car. Ouch!
when the transmitters went bad, that was the first sign. The battery's didn't die, but the transmitters were getting worn out from all the uses. Then a couple days ago i opened the garage, the door went up half way, then came back down, then went up, came back down. I thought the contact points on the transmitter were stuck together, so i took out the battery, but it didn't stop it. It went crazy on me, i had to go into the house and disconnect it. The next day, i closed the door, the garage opener keep on pushing down the door and the motor died.

Oh yeah, the new garage opener has those ground sensor things. I raised the height to about two feet, so it can watch out for the cars. hahahaha. sorry about your car's roof. that has got to hurt.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Yes, the distance on the Homelink on the TSX is short. I had Homelink on my Lincoln LS I owned just before the TSX and the distance I could use it was farther. The Lincoln Homelink was easier to use, a simple push of the button did it. On the TSX, it sometimes takes one-two-three or more pushes to get it to work. I also have trouble finding the button when driving after dark. The Lincoln Homelink buttons were on the drivers visor, easier to find and use.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:03 PM
such a dirty birdy

no-tsx-for me, (say it ain't so!?) I agree they can be hard to find in the dark. The blue LED is cool and all, but I'd trade it for some little lights in the homelink buttons to make them easier to find. The blue LED seems to mostly light up the gearshift, and I KNOW where that is...
Old 09-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

I still haven't been able to program my third Homelink button. I just don't know what's wrong?

What type did you have fdl?

BTW, what is that blue led for in the upper console next to the HL and mic?

Naptown out.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:38 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

yeah my mom has Homelink in her Lexus, and the range isn't terribly far, but as long as it works, she's happy.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Racer

Originally posted by MSB128
Naptown reporting....

I still haven't been able to program my third Homelink button. I just don't know what's wrong?

What type did you have fdl?

BTW, what is that blue led for in the upper console next to the HL and mic?

Naptown out.
if the third one doesn't work, you might want to try reseting the codes. check you manual.

The blue led is a "courtesy light". It shines down at the gear shift. I've used this at night to read a the label off a cd. Basically, its there so you don't have to turn on the map light to blind the crap out of u
Old 09-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Racer

I don't know about you folks, but I find the homelink on the TSX is better than both my remotes that came with my garage door opener
Old 09-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

My first two HL buttons are working on two other doors. It's the last one on a different house all together. I don't know what the deal is with it.

The transmitter says "Security +", but I know it's not a rolling code. I can't think of the manufacturer right now.

I can't really tell much from that blue LED...I'll check it out later tonight.

Thanks.

Naptown out.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:50 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Well, just for you fdl, I decided to test the distance. Its not terribly far, but I can open the garage just before I get to the neighbor's driveway. (although that's relative -- your house might be spaced differently)

And finding the homelink at night isn't bad. You can see the blue LED, and the middle button has bumps on it. (and holding it for 1-2s seems to work better than multiple presses)

-r
Old 09-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The range is not quite as far as with the remote, but then to get good range on the remote, I have to flip down the visor first. I hold the button on the homelink in for one or two seconds when I am two houses away. The door is completely open by the time I am up the driveway. I have a rolling code Sears unit and recently switched from an older (around 14 years old Sears unit). The range for both openers was about the same.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally posted by MSB128
Naptown reporting....

My first two HL buttons are working on two other doors. It's the last one on a different house all together. I don't know what the deal is with it.

The transmitter says "Security +", but I know it's not a rolling code. I can't think of the manufacturer right now.

I can't really tell much from that blue LED...I'll check it out later tonight.

Thanks.

Naptown out.
I have a "chainberlin" brand garage opener and it has the "security +" feautere and has a rolling code
Old 09-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Racer

My drive is about 150' long and I press the homelink when I hit the drive and it opens the garage door. It has a longer range than the original transmitter. BTW - It is a newer opener with a rolling code.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:42 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I was just thinking...maybe its the engle of the car. I can't get mine to open untill I am on the driveway, but this may not be because of the distance but because of the fact that untill I am on the driveway, my car is not pointed towards my garage door. This would explain why beartrap can open his at 150 feet.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

"Security+" is Chamberlain's rolling code feature. You have to program your homelink transmitter then you have to press a button on the garage door opener itself to allow a new remote. Once the button on the opener is pressed, you have to press the homelink transmitter button and the garage door opener will flash it's light a few times. If you get the light to flash on the opener, you're done!

On subject, I find that my homelink transmitter has very similar range to my old Acura CL-S. However, I have noticed that I have to hold the button down a couple of seconds before the receiver gets the signal. The old CL-S would only require a quick press. It was pretty frustrating at first because I would keep pressing my homelink button over and over not thinknig that it needed constant pressure. All is well now, though.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fdl
I was just thinking...maybe its the engle of the car. I can't get mine to open untill I am on the driveway, but this may not be because of the distance but because of the fact that untill I am on the driveway, my car is not pointed towards my garage door. This would explain why beartrap can open his at 150 feet.
You might be on to something here. I have an "L" shaped drive, but as as I turn onto the driveway, I am pointed right at the garage. My old CLS could open the garage door (at a previous house) no further than two doors down and perpendicular to the garage. This was a distance of about 100 feet from the garage.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm hitting my garage door opener from my neighbors house no problem. My driveway is on the far side of the yard and it "S" curves in. So I would guess the range at that point to be about 100ft or so. I must hold it for a sec or two for it to kick in.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Holy thread revival, batman...