HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
HID headlights

Hey guys,
How are the HID xenons working for you guys on the TSX? I've seen them work on the TL's and they are BADASS. They light up so much of the highway and dont really get into opposing traffic's eyes. Anyways... are the TSX's HID's just as good as the TL's? Are the TL's self leveling? how about the TSX's? Can i have your opinions?

thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HIDs on the tsx have a distinctive cut-off. You can definatly tell where the HIDs will shine no further. I haven't had anyone high beam me yet. The HIDs on the tsx are not auto-leveling, and i have no idea about the TL's HID lights. Auto leveling (i believe) is avaiable in japan and europe, but not here in NA?
Old 09-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by tehCOW
The HIDs on the tsx have a distinctive cut-off. You can definatly tell where the HIDs will shine no further. I haven't had anyone high beam me yet. The HIDs on the tsx are not auto-leveling, and i have no idea about the TL's HID lights. Auto leveling (i believe) is avaiable in japan and europe, but not here in NA?
Technically, autoleveling isn't offered anywhere on the TSX/Accord, but manual leveling is in Japan and Europe to be compliant with the laws.

I personally love my HIDs and the distinctive cut-off is definitely there, but I love that too.

I've only been flashed twice and had ample time to flash back. Since I live in Ohio where most of the drivers suck, having only been flashed twice means the HIDs are aimed perfectly.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:40 AM

TL does not auto self level. And the 99-03 models are very easy to steal. HIDS do not glare and fatigue drivers eyes like regular halogen bulbs.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Pro

there was a forum about how nice it is to drive at night. Mostly everyone said it's the blue lights on the inside and the HIDs. They are awesome. My favorite is when you turn them on they're a little yellow and become blue. I see EVERYTHING with these lights. Even the right and left front sides of the car is very visible.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone in here know if the after market xenons have been banned yet?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Instructor

The HID's are great! I've never seen so much of the road, especially to the side of the car! I thought the abrupt cutoff would take getting used to, but it goes further than my old car's halogens so it's not so bad. My friend thinks my TSX's headlights are brighter than their TL
Old 09-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Talking Love'em!

HIDs were the best unexpected surprise on my TSX! I knew they came standard, but I thought prior, that they were not a big deal, I was happily wrong. Now I know why it's a $500 buck option on other cars! Makes me wonder how any "luxury" brand can not have these as standard?! I've never seen so good at night, the brightness and the evenness of the wide spread of light is just amazing.

HIDS alone are almost enough to justify buying a TSX over an Accord... but that's a whole'nother thread. :P
Old 09-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Racer

Re: Love'em!

Originally posted by ucsdtriton
HIDS alone are almost enough to justify buying a TSX over an Accord... but that's a whole'nother thread. :P
once u've experianced HID lights, you won't go back...
Old 09-11-2003, 09:46 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Love the HIDs as well. Was driving my old car tonight and was thinking "man, this sucks". (ok, yeah it sucked in general, but difference in lights was so shocking)

I only get flashed when approaching a hill, so the car is tilted up right into their eyes or if I'm behind someone on a bumpy road. They think I'm beaming them.

-r
Old 09-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

The TL and CL have the same lighting system AFAIK. Going from the CL to the TSX was a little bit different. The CL was a reflector setup whereas the TSX is a projector setup. With the TSX, there is a very distinct beam cut-off as many have stated. That's a good thing and a bad thing. When on level surfaces, it's much easier on oncoming traffic but, on bumpy or hilly surfaces, it's very easy to blind oncoming drivers because of the intensity and focus of the beam. With the reflector setup, it just looks like a normal car with a slight blue-white hue to the headlamps. Bumps or hills did not effect the brightness to oncoming traffic as much. I find that in the TSX, before the cutoff is lit very well, but beyond the cutoff, it's pitch black. You do, however, still pick up reflectors and reflective street signs beyond the cutoff. In the CL, it was a very nice bright light with a gradual light falloff like a standard halogen lighting system. This allowed your eyes to at least see a little bit at the extremeties of your lighting pattern. At first I thought I preferred the CL to the TSX, however, as I become accustomed to the TSX, I don't find that it's any better or any worse. It's just different from the CL. I do think they're brighter in the TSX up close and to the sides. It's a bit of an unfair comparison in my case because I can always use my fogs in the TSX whereas the CL only had 5w road lamps down there so the immediate front and sides are MUCH brighter in the TSX than in the CL. Anyhow, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the TSX lighting system. Also, as already confirmed, it is not self-leveling.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Therm
Does anyone in here know if the after market xenons have been banned yet?
they're banning it right now but some companies are still selling 'em but for "off road" use only
Old 09-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Magic_Man:

I was going to touch on that subject as well. Great explanation!

Here's a question. I understand that with the reflector setup the light gradually fades off into the night, whereas the projector setup has a distinct cut-off point. Is there a way to create the same effect with the projector setup? What's causing the cut-off...a lip of some sort on the lense or the bulb? Also, is the reflector setup (TL's & CL's models) brighter than the projector (TSX models)?

Any thoughts?

-Spencer
Old 09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Maxboost
they're banning it right now but some companies are still selling 'em but for "off road" use only
HIDS have always been illegal to use on any car that did not originally come with it. And it is illegal as of 8/15/03 to sell HIDS, and the "off road" excuse can not be used to sell HIDS. The only way now to legally buy a HID kit is through eBay.

check out www.hidforum.com for more info.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by overkast
Magic_Man:
Here's a question. I understand that with the reflector setup the light gradually fades off into the night, whereas the projector setup has a distinct cut-off point. Is there a way to create the same effect with the projector setup? What's causing the cut-off...a lip of some sort on the lense or the bulb? Also, is the reflector setup (TL's & CL's models) brighter than the projector (TSX models)?

Any thoughts?

-Spencer
Projector lights are almost always better than reflector designs. It's kind of funny how people with reflector headlights would love to have the sharp cut-off of a projector setup, and vice versa. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

Also, the TSX lights are brighter than the TL/CL lights.

Read this http://www.hidforum.com/ayh/about.php
Old 09-12-2003, 11:40 AM

lol real hids not xenons are not for sale anymore.any web site to sell them will be find 5000 dollars a day.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:41 AM

I have the CATZ hids aftermarket for my accord and they will blow your mind how bright they are.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by adam fiooz
Agreed. My last car had halogen system, which I installed the PIAA's and then the Silverstars. At the time I thought they were decent HID alternatives. Now I think they are NO comparison!
Old 09-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by corey415
Projector lights are almost always better than reflector designs. It's kind of funny how people with reflector headlights would love to have the sharp cut-off of a projector setup, and vice versa. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

Also, the TSX lights are brighter than the TL/CL lights.

Read this http://www.hidforum.com/ayh/about.php
That was a great link. It's very informative for anybody who wants to know about the differences between lighting systems. Thanks, corey415!

On the subject of the grass being greener on the other side, there's not question that the lit area is very well lit with a projector. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not having such a distinct cut off is safer than being able to have limited visibility at the extremeties of your useable light or not. I think it's definitely easier to see deer and such on the side of the road in the TSX, but I feel like it was easier to see anything directly ahead at the edges of my light in the CL. Personally, I wouldn't categorize my TSX's HIDs as better than my old CL's, just different. I'd be happy with either set. There is no comparison to halogen in either case.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moda_way
[B]Technically, autoleveling isn't offered anywhere on the TSX/Accord, but manual leveling is in Japan and Europe to be compliant with the laws.

According to my 500 page Honda Accord Euro (Aka TSX) owners manual it has Autolevelling HIDS. I live in Australia.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:56 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by falco

According to my 500 page Honda Accord Euro (Aka TSX) owners manual it has Autolevelling HIDS. I live in Australia.

hmm.... well why the heck didnt we get these then?
Old 09-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by fdl
Well, be thankful Acura gave us HID projector as standard feature and not a $500 option.
Name me 3 cars in the 26-27k price range that comes with standard HID...
Old 09-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by fdl
Probably for the same reason us Australians arent offered; Milano Red, Meteor Silver Colours.
Why we only have 16" wheels instead of 17" wheels, and so I could go on.
Some marketing guru sitting at a desk, with probably very little interest in cars, made that decision and thats the way its gonna be.