Hey Im new to the forum with a few questions on the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Im new to the forum with a few questions on the TSX

I am debating between the TSX and a Mazda6s. The 6s has better performance and from what I've heard, better handling. But I like the amenities of the TSX as well as the looks. How is the 0-60 performance in the TSX? How does the TSX performace compare to the RSX Type S? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Banned

TSX 0-60 is close to 7.5s
RSX 0-60 is close to 7.0s

I think that the Mazda 6 V6 should be a bit faster than the TSX. But a TSX is a more rewarding car.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've debated the handling of the M6 vs. TSX here before. I don't agree that the M6 handles better overall. The steering is more communicative (TSX can be a bit number), but there is more body roll and steering feels a bit less sharp.

As far as acceleration is concerned, there are also two sides to argument. The M6 cleary is faster 0-60, but once the TSX gets moving it is actually a bit faster. In AUTOMOBILE's tests, the TSX was much faster than the M6 in passing times.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:46 PM

S E A R C H
Old 12-02-2003, 09:38 PM
such a dirty birdy

Sounds like maybe you haven't driven both of them yet? You really need to do that. I think the Mazda 6 has a slight performance/handling edge over the TSX in terms of absolute numbers, but it's not quite that simple. The TSX feels a bit more precise overall and is much easier to drive smoothly. You really have to thrash the 6 to get the most from it and while it delivers, it feels a bit rough around the edges. Looks and styling are subjective, but the TSX interior is clearly superior.

And yeah, search is your friend. We've beat this particular topic around a number of times in the past. Welcome to the board and good luck in your decision. Despite the fact this is a TSX board, you're not likely to find many people here eager to trash the Mazda 6. It was a close second choice for a few of us and it's generally fairly well respected.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I was waiting for my TSX, I made several trips to the Mazda dealer and the Acura dealer. I'm talking about dealerships that were closed, so I could look at leisure. It only took a couple of trips to realize the TSX was leaps and bounds above the Mazda 6S in the fit and finish department. The interior is also no contest, not to mention the Mazda 6S's residual value is horrible. The TSX is a clear winner vs. the Mazda 6.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Pro

Re: Hey Im new to the forum with a few questions on the TSX

Originally posted by nitrustwinturbo
I am debating between the TSX and a Mazda6s.
If you don't care about the interior of your vehicles, save some money and buy the 6. But I don't see how anyone can sit inside of the TSX and then go back and buy the 6. It is not even comparable, the TSX's interior is 10x as nice. As far as performance goes, I doubt the average person is a good enough driver to feel the subtle differences in 0-60 and overall handling. The TSX is a far better total package and easily beats out the 6.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:17 PM
More On

Originally posted by swami
......I'm talking about dealerships that were closed......
I guess they're run by our admins/mods?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Advanced

If your adding skirts, foglights, or spoilers. The TSX becomes more expensive than an equally loaded Mazda 6. Hoever, the TSX will hold its value much better so you will gain it back when you eventually trade it in. That is, unless you are going to drive your TSX into the ground. Based on the posts here, I expect that there will be many TSXs driven into the ground by their original owners.

This leads to another question. Which will give you hassle free ownership from a repair perspective in the long run. I've never owned a Mazda so I can't say.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Re: Hey Im new to the forum with a few questions on the TSX

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
If you don't care about the interior of your vehicles, save some money and buy the 6. But I don't see how anyone can sit inside of the TSX and then go back and buy the 6. It is not even comparable, the TSX's interior is 10x as nice. As far as performance goes, I doubt the average person is a good enough driver to feel the subtle differences in 0-60 and overall handling. The TSX is a far better total package and easily beats out the 6.
I have to say that B-D nailed it here. The 6 is a nice car, but if you can go back to it after being in a TSX, you probably should. I'm not against the 6 at all - I think it's a great car, especially for the price. But the TSX is much nicer on the inside, and 99% of the time I don't think you'll notice a performance difference between the two.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
I guess they're run by our admins/mods?
Don't get cute Larch or I'll close this thread and delete your post!

hehe, j/k
Old 12-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Drifting

One other thing to think about is exterior styling. I would say the M6 is a bit more exciting upon first glance, but the TSX will still look great in five years and the M6 will (start to) look dated.

There is no question the M6 has a slight performance advantage, but the TSX is safer, more fuel efficient, has a better warranty, more features, luxury nameplate, more reliable, better quality, much better interior, offers a navigation system, offers a 6MT, more unique, not a Ford, better dealer service (theoretically), and higher resale value.

That about covers it.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

I haven't driven a TSX yet (don't ask), but I test drove a Mazda 6 V6 MT. Acceleration was smooth and brisk. The limited-slip diff makes a world of difference (over, say, a 3.5 Altima which will torque-steer your arms off). The shifter had a weird feel to it; not buttery click-click like a Honda, but not vague and rubbery like my current 2000 altima. What I was really unimpressed about it was that I was the efirst one to test drive this particular car, and there were rattles everywhere. Also, the shift knob came loose in my hand while shifting! Okay, minor items, sure, and from what I've read here, the TSX doesn't seem to fair any better in the rattles department. I guess, I just wasn't impressed enough to buy one.

Besides, do you really want to buy a car with a Ford engine in it over a Honda engine (if you get a V6).Honda/Acura vehicles may have slipped slightly on the overall reliability rating, but their engines are still top-knotch for quality, sophistication, smoothness, and reliability.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by stocker2000
...from what I've read here, the TSX doesn't seem to fair any better in the rattles department.
For the record, all my rattles seem to have gone away on their own.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:09 AM
STi'd

gee, i didn't even think of considering a mazda6..i was putting the tsx up against the is300, g35c, a4, 9-3 and the like. tsx came out a clear winner imo, the only car that came somewhat close was the is300, but not for it's hefty price tag.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Pro

Originally posted by gavinn58
...the only car that came somewhat close was the is300, but not for it's hefty price tag.
And the fact that a 12 year old would hardly have any leg room in the back seat of the IS300. I felt HUGE in that car.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Can't wait to drive

I was lucky enough to have joined the Mazda's Rev it up competition, which is basically a competitive autocross of the Mazda6. Although the the Mazda6 handled beautifully, they are modified (lowered with springs and shocks and performance tires, throatier exhaust), it still did not sell me. the Mazda6 6-cyl engine isnt' as rev-happy as the TSX, and the interior isn't anywhere close. And as a previous post mention, the TSX feels fast after it gets going, and I believe that it does afte driving both
Old 12-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Racer

Hehehe, another TSX/Mazda6.... as a formal Mazda6 (I4) owner again, Mz6 is good for it's money (not counting re-sale value), better looking exterior (IMO, there were way more ppl looking at my Mz6 than my TSX, WAY MORE). As for interior, TSX wins without any question at all.

I love both of my Mz6 and TSX. They handle similarly well without a doubt but I don't want to bore you with details. Like ppl said, the slight difference is hardly noticable to most ppl. Mz6 might not have the superior quality as TSX, but it sure is a lot of fun to drive. Try both of them and see.

BTW, Mz6 doesn't have more body roll then TSX from my experience.