HELP!!! What to do with dishonest dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003 | 08:19 PM
Advanced

Angry HELP!!! What to do with dishonest dealer???

I bought ($1000 down) my new silver TSX last saturday. At the time of the purchased, I was told there is no problem in getting the ready in 2-3 days. With their promise, I sold my car to a friend and rented the car for 2 days. On monday, they called and said they DON"T have the car and won't have it until next weekend, which is more than 2 weeks!!!

I was upset as I felt the lied so they can close the deal. I asked their sales manager to split the cost with me by either paying part of the rental car cost or giving me free tinted window. He told me that's not possible, basically told me there is nothing I can do!!!

What can I do? Can I file a complaint with Acura Customer relation? if not, anything else? I felt cheated and upset.

(ps: dealer is ACura east, Ajax in Canada......east of Toronto)
Old 11-06-2003 | 08:33 PM
spc
Instructor

Re: HELP!!! What to do with dishonest dealer???

Shame on ACURA EAST! If possible, withdraw your deposit and go to a different dealer. I know this might not be easy to do.

Definitely file a complaint. However, do you have a written note or something to prove the car will be there in 2-3 days? Verbal promise is not enough. Unless you have a tape recording or somthing similar evidence.

One more thing to try is to contact the owner of the dealership to see what he/she will say or do. You might surprise if you do that.

Don't feel bad! It is their ugly way of doing business to make this inconvenience to you.

Good lucks!
Old 11-06-2003 | 09:33 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

what dealer is this?
Old 11-07-2003 | 12:28 AM
Advanced

Ah, you might be buying an Acura, but they are still car salesmen!! Every dealer I went to told me to put down a deposit. And they all claimed to be honest, and that "other" dealers just want to take you off the market, but didn't really have a car to sell you.

You can complain to the dealer, but don't expect any monetary compensation. These cars are so hot, so you don't have any bargaining power.
Old 11-07-2003 | 03:02 AM
Banned

Ask them to give u a loaner man
Old 11-07-2003 | 10:24 AM
Advanced

thanks for the reply so far....

I put $1000 down, so it's hard for me to walk out. obviously I didn't have a tape record at the time, but I did have a witness. But the thing that upset me the most is the sales mgr basically telling me to get lost. Out of his ability to compensate for $200 cdn rental charge or tinted window???

other then calling the owner of the dealer, is contacting ACura customer relation a good way to file a complaint?
Old 11-07-2003 | 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

the most i have ever put down on any car was $100... did they ask for $1000?
Old 11-07-2003 | 01:15 PM
Advanced

yes.............they ask for $1000.........those bastards!!

and hoenstly, before I signed, they were great, very friendly.......

after, everything changed.......
Old 11-07-2003 | 08:02 PM
Advanced

In the US, car deposits are fully refundable. They also should be in Canada. Besides, the dealer shouldn't care, since they can sell TSX as fast as they can get them in. Get your money back and go to another dealer.
Old 11-08-2003 | 02:04 PM
Advanced

don't think we can do it here in Canada!!

that sucks!
Old 11-08-2003 | 02:08 PM
More On

BTW -- how about making a slight change in the title of one of these threads so people can tell them apart better?
Old 11-09-2003 | 11:50 PM
Pro

A couple hundred dollars is nothing to them. A couple hundred dollars is probably going to have you buy your next Acura at this dealer and they say no? Bad choice. Your deposit is fully refundable by the way. If you want it back, they have to.. give it back. If you paid with your credit card, you can dispute it that way if you like with your creditor; a little bit harder with a bank-card. I'd say f them and go to another dealer.
Old 11-12-2003 | 10:36 PM
Advanced

The FINAL EPISODE!!!

Tonite, I got my car......if you think what I went through with the delay was bad!!! I told them that I don't want any "4"s in my license plate as being a Chinese, the # "4" means "death". Then, I found out they have 2 "4"s on my plate!!! They said they can't do anything about it which is B-S! There were 4 cars waiting to be picked up today, and none, I mean none had "4" on their plate!!!

To top it off, I told him I want to put $3,000 more down so I pay less interest, the sales said the finance docs are already in, and asked me to go to the bank to change it myself!!!

At last, when he was supposed to give me a run-down with the car, he said since it is raining outside, let's do it in the showroom!!! WHAT? Isn't he supposed to check everything with MY CAR and make sure they are ok b4 I drive off the lot!!??

Of course, he said NOTHING about the delay and how they should've compensated me. This is by far the WORST experience I had with any sales/mgr in my life!!!

REMEMBER, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO TO ACURA EAST IN AJAX!!!
Old 11-12-2003 | 11:08 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

A bit late, but if they're rude, simply take your business elsewhere. I would have rather only had to take my search to the local dealers, but they were being assholes so I drove 2.5hrs. All worked out great.

As for not showing you YOUR car, that's complete BS. If rain really was a factor, then he should have had someone park it under something (or in a service bay) to give you the full rundown. Basically sounds like they're lazy and don't give a crap.

btw, 1000 down isn't very much, but then again its not for them to decide. I mean, a 6% downpayment on 29k is only 1740. I tend to aim for 20% on downpayments so I put 5000 (~16.4%??)down. But again, that was my choice.

If they did the financing, then they probably just wanted to bilk more cash out of you.

-r
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:30 AM
Pro

I wouldn't take this shit. There were two 4s? lol

the dealer
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:55 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by owenaldo
The FINAL EPISODE!!!

Tonite, I got my car......if you think what I went through with the delay was bad!!! I told them that I don't want any "4"s in my license plate as being a Chinese, the # "4" means "death". Then, I found out they have 2 "4"s on my plate!!! They said they can't do anything about it which is B-S! There were 4 cars waiting to be picked up today, and none, I mean none had "4" on their plate!!!

To top it off, I told him I want to put $3,000 more down so I pay less interest, the sales said the finance docs are already in, and asked me to go to the bank to change it myself!!!

At last, when he was supposed to give me a run-down with the car, he said since it is raining outside, let's do it in the showroom!!! WHAT? Isn't he supposed to check everything with MY CAR and make sure they are ok b4 I drive off the lot!!??

Of course, he said NOTHING about the delay and how they should've compensated me. This is by far the WORST experience I had with any sales/mgr in my life!!!

REMEMBER, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO TO ACURA EAST IN AJAX!!!
Look at the big picture here. You got your car. It wasn't that bad a wait. You can easily make an extra $3000 payment to your principal, that's no big deal. As far as the fours, well, nobody but you knows "4" means death so it's all good. If you felt that strongly about it, you should have bought vanity plates. If they're not available in CA then you be fuct.
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:57 AM
More On

And to think I used to think he was a liberal......
Old 11-13-2003 | 09:36 AM
Racer

The FINAL EPISODE!!!

Pity you didn't refuse to take delivery.
Old 11-13-2003 | 10:14 AM
Racer

Note to self: Never give a deposit to a car dealer. Once they have your money as a hostage, they have carte blanche to fawk you over.
Old 11-13-2003 | 07:38 PM
Advanced

Just to add to the bad luck, one day after I got my car, snow storm here in Toronto!!!

Not going to do much, but I will write a letter to Acura Canada and the owner again to show my displeasure.

Jason - Actually here in Toronto, since there r so many chinese, everyone knows "4" means death, bad luck. Some residential street here don't even have the # "4" as a street number! The reasle value for houses are at least 5% less with a # "4" on......To have two "4" on the plate, I knew they did it purposely......since they knew I was making a big deal out of the delay and everything.......sales are nothing but dirt bags, pricks!
Old 11-13-2003 | 07:45 PM
Drifting

...I knew they did it purposely......since they knew I was making a big deal out of the delay and everything.......sales are nothing but dirt bags, pricks!
Maybe you shouldn't have made such a big deal about the car being a few days late. Perhaps if you would have been more understanding and patient, your situation would have ended up differently. I am sorry you are upset though. Don't let it detract from an otherwise outstanding vehicle, and try not to take these things so personally.
Old 11-13-2003 | 08:49 PM
Advanced

Jason - but they promised me the car would be ready last wed, and it is one week late, so my family has to rent a car which cost $200. Since it is their undelivered promise that caused the problem, they should've compensate me for the cost. There isn't one person I told that disagree with me. As a dealership mgr, giving away $200 for a mistake is nothing, but for me to go on the forums, tell friends, write ltr to Acura corp so they may lose future business.......is really bad business mgt.

I told them ahead of the situation, that I need the car right away, they said they HAVE the car, but to call me on the deliver date and said no??? Ia m sorry, that's just not the way to do business.....it's not personal, it is unethical.....if I am not understanding, I would've burn the whole dealership down!!!
Old 11-14-2003 | 07:06 AM
Instructor

This is like watching a movie where the main character could have said one little thing to the sheriff at the beginning of the movie and the rest of the awful stuff wouldn't have happened.

If the dealer promised you a car in two days, why didn't you wait two days to sell your car? If not having 4's in your plate was important, why not get the plates yourself at the DMV? (Perhaps this isn't an option in your state?) If you unexpectedly have $3000 to put toward the car, why not just send it in with your first payment and ask them to apply it to the principal?

I'm a type A personality, so little stuff bugs me, too. (Case in point: my post this morning about Acura of Peabody.) If you have a bad experience, you should share it with others. But, to this outsider, it doesn't sound like the dealer was all that out of line.

My two cents.

Mike
Old 11-14-2003 | 08:17 AM
Advanced

Well, regarding the $3000 and the sale of car, is due to family situation which I don't feel is necessary to share in this forum. But I've explained the situation before signing the paper, and yet the dealer neglected such matter and refuse to take any responsibility of there fault.

Yes, in Canada, only if you requset to have personalized plate (over $200), you get what the dealer gives you. And is known to everyone here "4" is bad luck to Chinese. I know full well he was trying to play games when I saw 4 other cars on the lot with no "4"s on their plate. I bought cars b4, dealer was nice enough to call me and asked me to choose from a set of numbers that they have.

When the dealer's website promote "best sales and service experience in Toronto", and yet provided such bad service and lack of professionalism, it is a shame.

Funny thing is, I posted similar things in the Canada East forum, and most ppl agreed, and yet most ppl from US thinks the dealer isn't all that bad, very interesting to learn.......maybe a lot more is expected north of the border.
Old 11-14-2003 | 08:42 AM
Drifting

Funny thing is, I posted similar things in the Canada East forum, and most ppl agreed, and yet most ppl from US thinks the dealer isn't all that bad, very interesting to learn.......maybe a lot more is expected north of the border.
I think both parties are at fault here, the dealer a little bit more so.
Old 11-14-2003 | 10:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by mcourt83
If the dealer promised you a car in two days, why didn't you wait two days to sell your car?
I've bought almost a dozen new cars so far, and I have always taken delivery that same day, usually within half an hour. If a dealer tells you he has the car on his lot, and takes your money, but then wants you to wait 2 days to take delivery, that's a big red flag.

Next time, make sure you see the car with your own eyes before you give them any money. Don't let them "take you off the market" with a deposit which they can then hold hostage while they jerk you around. They'll be much more motivated to provide good service if they know you can walk.

As for the number 4 in your license plate, get over it. It ain't gonna kill you - it's just a silly superstition!
Old 11-14-2003 | 10:57 AM
More On

......I bought cars b4.......
With that, I think you just blew your whole argument.
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:38 AM
Advanced

Fuque......I agree, I learned my lesson re availablity with cars......as for the # "4" s......I just went to Minister of Transportation and got my new number. They told me dealers should've ask them what number(s) to exclude and they know that Chinese don't like "4" and usually ask the dealer if they wan to avoid "4"s.....I don't think ppl in the states understand the chinese culture enough to know that avoiding "4"s is almost like a religion!

as for Larchmont---I don't think I blew my argument, in fact I am not arguing at all........just so ppl here would know that there are dealers out there that will take your money and run with it. Me and my family bought cars b4 and had excellent service and experience.....I guess I learned the hard way!

Jason is right, now I know.....and as long as the car is fine......that's the bottom line! Just won't go back there for service, and I will sure let my friends know about that dealer!
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:46 AM
More On

Heh heh -- he didn't get it!
Old 11-14-2003 | 12:16 PM
Large Member

Originally posted by larchmont
No. . . He did not get it. Maybe you should explain what you said b4 . heh.
Old 11-14-2003 | 12:19 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by larchmont
4 goodness' sake, Larch. Some people un4tunately miss these things --- it's like seeing the 4est but not the trees. Someone should 4mulate a gentle but more explicit response in this 4um.

IB4TL!
Old 11-14-2003 | 12:21 PM
More On

Originally posted by dnb
4 goodness' sake, Larch. Some people un4tunately miss these things --- it's like seeing the 4est but not the trees. Someone should 4mulate a gentle but more explicit response in this 4um.

IB4TL!
Old 11-14-2003 | 02:18 PM
Advanced

ok I get it.......but the word "b4" and the number "4" is diff........hard to explain unless u r chinese!!! oh well......

It's time to end this thing, my car is bought, point taken, ideas shared......

Thanks for all the help and hope no one will go through what I went through......

REMEMBER, IF U R FROM TORONTO, DO NOT GO TO ACURA EAST IN AJAX......BUNCH OF A$$HOLES AND C@CKS@CKERS!!!
Old 11-15-2003 | 09:49 AM
Drifting

B4....Bingo!
Old 11-15-2003 | 11:05 AM
Racer

In all seriousness, I'm glad you posted.

One of the dealers here in SoCal is selling cars "off the list," i.e. once the car is built and they get a VIN, they try to sell the car to you. They don't just want a deposit, they want a signed sales contract! Basically, you buy the car sight-unseen and wait 2 weeks while it comes in.

Reading experiences like yours helps all of us to resist any temptation to go along with silly deals like this.
Old 11-16-2003 | 01:55 AM
Advanced

yeah......I learned my lesson........

and I truly hope no one has to go through a situation like this. But given the circumstances, I was pretty much force into getting a car quick w/ family problems. Not to say that I don;t enjoy the car!!!

so far, the car is very nice......too bad is snowing in Toronto already!
Old 11-17-2003 | 06:13 PM
Don't listen to me.

Thanx for the lesson owenaldo.

Funny thing is if I did the same thing you did I would be driving an Infinity G35 coupe instead of my TSX. But the infinity dealer told me it would take 2 days to get the car which ended up being 2 1/2 months. They even called me the day after I bought my TSX and told me my car was in.

I'm glad I didn't leave a deposit.