help thinking about getting a tsx

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help thinking about getting a tsx

What have they changed on the tsx through the years? I am looking at a 04 at with nav. Are there any problems to look for on it?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Try doing a search. Your questions has been asked many times........ Welcome to AZ
Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Try doing a search. Your questions has been asked many times........ Welcome to AZ
I tried, not really finding a answer. I am going to go look at a 04at and the main question I have for yall is are there any issues with the 04 and or any problems to look for.................PLEASE HELP
Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 being the first model year there were a number of issues. Check the FAQ section for TSBs and known issues.

The ones that I can remember are:
* shifting drivers seat
* trunk harness recall
* rear camber out of spec
* radio/instrument panel lights out
* "warped" rotors
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Don't forget A/C issues, door rattles.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Instructor

get a certified one =)
Old 07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont have any new problems to what jlukja has already said...but i have a 2004 and i would like to confirm the center console lights out and the door rattles...but the door rattles went away the center lights will probably already have gone out and have been replaced on the car you're looking at to buy. and the trunk thing is a bit annoying..but i just taped the inside of it and it's staying on right. I haven't come across any mechanical problems at all...but then again i have a 6-speed.

Check the problems/fix forum
Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Take the car, or the VIN #, to a dealer and have them check the records to see if the recalls have already been checked-out, or performed. The recalls, IIRC, are: 1) water leaks in the seals of the headlights (primarily the driver's side) [correction=replacing the headlight unit(s)]; 2) Taillight wires near the trunk hinge need to be wrapped to insure they don't get worn or torn; and 3) a small number of TSX's with improper transmission parts installed at the factory {This is the most important recall, but affected only a few thousand cars of an identified set of VIN #s}[correction=transmission rebuild by the dealer.]
If the car is certified, these should have already been done.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Racer

If I were you I would avoid getting the first year's model. Save alittle extra and get an 05 or even an 06. Think it would be worth it in the long run.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

changes on the TSX

04-05: not much from what I see on ebay, but XM radio is available on '05 TSX's and I don't think 04's have them.

05 to 06: Bluetooth capability, updated LED display which has the bright blue Jetta lights (that's what I call them); standard auxiliary music jack; slightly more powerful engine (200 hp to 205 hp SAE); a more sporty looking steering wheel; Zagat ratings on the NAV system; updated grille and fascia including standard fog lights; the standard rims changed from 7 spokes to 9.

06 to 07: tire pressure monitoring is standard; the steering wheel seems to be a bit thicker than that on the 06 (I have an '07 and had an '06 TSX as a loaner and noticed this difference)

07 to 08: nothing except that the car is called a 2008 TSX.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I would try and look for an 06 TSX if I had a choice. The 06 upgrades are well worth it (bluetooth, faster Navi, extra HP, fogs, TSB fixed from earlier models, etc..). Basically, 06/07/08 are exactly the same car other than TPMS on 07/08. So far, every mod available on a 04 is available on the 06 (except a S/C). You will have to spend $1000-$2000 on your 04 just to get to the same hp level that comes standard on the 06. The prices of the 06's will drop even more as we get closer to the end of the year (if you can wait).
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I have an '04 TSX /w navi and can say that...

* shifting drivers seat - Yes, my drivers seat has a teeny bit of play to where it'll move back and forth...probably less than 1/8 inch, but enough to feel it if you rock back and forth in the seat.

* trunk harness recall - When I bought my car this was already fixed.

* rear camber out of spec - This I don't know about. I'm assuming this was fixed since my car was a certified car, but I don't know for sure.

* radio/instrument panel lights out - I got a recall notice in the mail about this and it is covered up to 100,000 miles. I had my drivers side heated seat switch light go out and Acura fixed that with no questions asked (I have the bumper to bumper 100k warranty). Otherwise no other instrument panel light problems yet!

* "warped" rotor - I'm hoping that I don't encounter this, as it was an annoying problem on my '96 T-Bird. I do notice a very slight vibration when moderately braking at high speeds 70+ MPH, but in a year it hasn't seemed to get any worse.

* door rattles - There are slight rattles in both driver and front passenger door that seem to come and go as they please and vary every time, however, it's not often enough for it to be an issue to me, and the doors rattled in an '06 loaner I dove a few months ago, so that put my mind at ease.

* A/C issues - I haven't had any A/C issues with my car.

* Tranny issues - As part of the certification this was checked and my car wasn't affected by this.

If I had come across this forum before purchasing my TSX, I may have held out for an 06. However, I have owned my '04 TSX for a year now, have 77k miles on it, the only problems I had were the heated seat switch light and my the drivers door lock actuator went out...both were covered under my warranty with no questions asked, and it was a good deal! $22k.

I do the ritual 5k service intervals and will continue until the day I sell/trade my car in.

If the car was taken good care of, is an Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, and you take good care of it, you should get many miles out of it.

I love mine!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

Researching the TSX (and other cars)...

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a new car. It won't be for at least a year, I'm just starting the initial research phase. I know by this time next year there will be new/better options as the 2009's come out, but I'll deal with that then.

I currently drive a 2002 Mazda Protege ES 5spd, with 63,000 miles on it. I've enjoyed it, but am looking to "upgrade" a bit, both in performance and/or comfort/luxury.

I am looking for something sporty, with decent performance, but not rice rocket type stuff. I like a bit of a sporty/stiff suspension but something that will also be comfortable to cruise on long road trips with. I am looking for something that is reliable as well as not outrageously expensive to maintain. As for price, right now I am keeping things very open, but ~$20K-$40K is probably a good range.

Two other factors that from my research seem to be conflicting is the choice between AT/MT and FWD/AWD/RWD. I currently live in New England, where the weather can get somewhat bad (I live in Syracuse for 9 years which is 10x worse), but I will probably be moving to Seattle soon for grad school, where the weather is a bit better, but not "great". I may only be living there for a few years before moving somewhere else (who knows where). The problem is it seems a bunch of the models I'm looking at (328, IS250, G35) only come with RWD if you want the manual. I've never driven a RWD car - is it really THAT much worse, or something you can get used to?

Anyway, below is a list of the cars I'm currently considering. I know there is quite the range right now. Next to each are my current thoughts/research on them. If anyone here has thoughts or experiences, or additional cars I might want to consider, your input would be greatly appreciated.

1. Mazdaspeed3/6, Subaru WRX, VW GTI, Civic SI. These are a bit of a step up performance wise, though obviously not luxuary wise. The 6 and WRX have AWD which may be good for bad weather. I've heard mixed things about VW reliability. Civic SI seems like a great value.

2. Acura TSX - Why I'm here! Decently powered and sporty yet still refined. Honda reliability. Nice exterior IMO. People seem to think it's a great value.

3. Acura TL - If I want the 6MT I'd have to go up to the S which is a big leap and price from a TSX. Not sold on how they look, but haven't seen one up close in person yet. Type-S performance is definitely nice, but on the upper price range.

4. Lexus IS250/350 - Probably the best looking out of my choices (IMO). Decently powered, but have read many complaints about how small it is. Carries a price premium. Great reliability....while they look nice I've heard the ride is a bit "boring"

5. G35 - My Dad has a 350z which is somewhat similar, and I like it a lot. Very sharp looking car. If I want the 6MT I'd have to get RWD. Hard to beat in the mid 30's price range it seems.

6. BMW 328/335. Great performance, but you pay for it. Still iffy on the looks. As with VW and the other German makes, I've read lots of mixed things about reliability and maintenance costs. Although I tend be like this, I will admit the BMW "name" can be alluring.

Thanks in advance.