Help me kill the lock knob under my elbow

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help me kill the lock knob under my elbow

So, I like to sometimes place my left arm on the door when I’m driving. The lock knob is then right under my elbow, and it’s uncomfortable. Assuming that I’m not the only person who gets fidgety while driving…

Has anyone replaced the lock knob with a shorter knob? Or taken a Dremel tool to it and shortened it? I think the part just screws off. This is the one feature that I liked about my ’00 Jetta better than my TSX. I spoke to my dealer and they told me that if I F’d-it-up while replacing it, they’d fix it under warranty.

Suggestions and guidance much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Yeah..

Howbout just unscrewing it and leaving it out. You don't really need it with power locks and remote entry.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Do you just twist it to the left, counter-clockwise, and it pops right out?

J.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

I could do the above, but I've got this vision of short brushed aluminum replacement knobs, rather than a hole in the door. Thanks for confirming the removal method, I was afraid of breaking something like I usually do.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Unscrewed and dremeled it shorter today. Didn't work too well. After cutting, the hole was not threaded that far up. Tried to screw on but wouldn't go. Maybe with more work it could work. There is a another thread that deals with this:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=&threadid=512

Check it out. Some have had luck using volkswagen door knobs.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

OK, looks like I'll try the '02 Passat lock knobs as mentioned in this thread...

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...threadid=77711

Searching this topic (everywhere) was no help, so thanks for the helps folks.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:00 PM
More On

Originally posted by bowersan
Do you just twist it to the left, counter-clockwise, and it pops right out?
Hey J, how ya doin'?

As you probably gather from some of the other posts, the answer is "Yes."
I did that and it's a big improvement, although of course the "bleb" enclosure is still there and is still somewhat of a drag.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:04 PM
More On

Originally posted by BrandonK
OK, looks like I'll try the '02 Passat lock knobs as mentioned in this thread...

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...threadid=77711....
I haven't understood why anyone thinks this is a good idea. If the locks lie flush with the surface when "locked," what good are they at all? Because, isn't the main purpose of these locks (if any) to UNLOCK that door individually? (I mean as opposed to unlocking ALL the doors electrically.) It doesn't seem nearly as important to be able to LOCK the driver door individually.

And if I'm right about that, having that VW lock is no better than just leaving the piece out altogether, because either way, you CAN'T manually open the driver lock from the locked position.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Yes, but im assuming that with the piece in, the surface is smooth, and leaves no hole patterns on your arm.
And if youve taken the locks out and all that remains is empty holes then it looks like your car came with a few pieces missing.. Sigh.

On the positive note, this solves my problem.... so im going to go to VW tomorrow and check out the situation. As a test tonight ive unscrewed and rescrewed the locks in place.... I panicked because i unscrewed it in unlock position and when i tried to reattach the piece i pushed the lock down into lock position, and i thought i had lost the thread..... Keep looking, and you'll find it no problem!!

Larch, you excited for the meet pictures tomorrow? I am!

J.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:59 AM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally posted by larchmont
I haven't understood why anyone thinks this is a good idea. If the locks lie flush with the surface when "locked," what good are they at all? Because, isn't the main purpose of these locks (if any) to UNLOCK that door individually? (I mean as opposed to unlocking ALL the doors electrically.) It doesn't seem nearly as important to be able to LOCK the driver door individually.

And if I'm right about that, having that VW lock is no better than just leaving the piece out altogether, because either way, you CAN'T manually open the driver lock from the locked position.

Am I missing something?

FINALLY! Somebody agrees with me! I believe that the lock button protrudes for a reason--so if you need to get out in a hurry, you can (without needing to fumble for the electronic switch).

I really wonder why Acura didn't go with the "old style" locks...where there's a recess in the door, and you've got a wedge-type lock button. When the lock is down, it's a somewhat smooth surface. Yet, you are still able to easily open the lock with your finger. The other alternative, would to have moved the lock knob to the door handle. But, I don't like this as much as the up/down recessed version.

Oh well, I guess nothing's perfect. Maybe they were trying to imitate BMW on this one? Do they have the stalk-style locks? Or do they have something else?
Old 07-13-2003, 02:09 AM
More On

Originally posted by MikeMa
FINALLY! Somebody agrees with me! I believe that the lock button protrudes for a reason--so if you need to get out in a hurry, you can (without needing to fumble for the electronic switch).....
Well, you agree with me, but I guess I didn't agree enough with myself, because I didn't fully take it to this logical conclusion.

You convinced me. I'm gonna put the thing back in.

There could come a time when you need to be able to get out, either in a hurry and/or if the electrical gets disabled (which could well be the case in an emergency situation). I want that stupid thing back in there.

And yes, there surely could be better designs. Acura could have done better, and I bet they will.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:24 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

But Larchmont- think about it again. Think about HOW many cars have locks that recess into the doors, and then think about how many times youve had to escape your other cars in a hurry.... I dont think you've ever had to. Of course, im not going to throw away my acura locks... but for the summer months up here in Toronto, i'm going to keep the VW bolts in- at least in the two front doors, so that I can enjoy the sun.

J.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Instructor

What I don't get is why the passenger side door has the up/down switch on the side of the door for the lock, and the driver's side has the lock on the door sill. It doesn't match. Does anyone know the answer to this, or am I missings something?
Old 07-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Ugggghhhh I cant picture myself putting my arm up so high on the door for the locks to bother me...probably because I live in South Florida and opening your windows while driving is against the law

speaking of elbows, can anyone lick their elbow????
Old 07-13-2003, 11:29 AM
More On

Originally posted by zero
......speaking of elbows, can anyone lick their elbow????
What worries me is, what's gonna be the next question?
Old 07-13-2003, 11:53 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by larchmont
There could come a time when you need to be able to get out, either in a hurry and/or if the electrical gets disabled (which could well be the case in an emergency situation). I want that stupid thing back in there.

And yes, there surely could be better designs. Acura could have done better, and I bet they will.
Yes, there is a real safety concern about being able to manually unlock the doors in case of a dead battery. In some cars (maybe the VW's), I think the first pull of the interior handle will unlock the door if it's locked. The second one will open it. In this case, there's no need to pull up on the knob. Can anyone with a VW verify this? (And maybe why Acura didn't do this?)
Old 07-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Count Blah
Yes, there is a real safety concern about being able to manually unlock the doors in case of a dead battery. In some cars (maybe the VW's), I think the first pull of the interior handle will unlock the door if it's locked. The second one will open it. In this case, there's no need to pull up on the knob. Can anyone with a VW verify this? (And maybe why Acura didn't do this?)
I know with my previous Vw that if the door was locked you could still open it by pulling the handle. If you pulled the handle slightly the door knob would pop up.