Help me diagnose my problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me diagnose my problem

So, this past week we got about a foot of snow. The day after, on my way home from work on the freeway, my car was shaking really bad. At the time I kind of figured that it had something to do with the snow/ice that was built up somewhere. Sure enough, the problem eventually resolved itself. In talking to the service guy at my dealership he explained that what probably happened was that ice has built up on the rims causing the wheels to become unbalanced. However, even now I still seem to notice that something is not quite right. First, it seems that the car just doesn't ride as smooth as it did before the snow storm. Second, it seems that my steering wheel is overly sensitive when going over bumps. Lastly, when pulling the wheel all the way over to one direction and then moving, the car almost seems like it slips. If any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone, please let me know your thoughts. I just have that feeling where I am not sure I am imagining things, or if there is a real problem. I just took my car in today for an oil change and tire rotation, and kind of mentioned this, but the guy passed at off as a result of what I explained earlier (ice/snow build up on the rims causing imbalance), and they didn't mention anything after doing the tire rotation (although they weren't looking for a problem). Is there something wrong with my alignment/toe camber? Is it possible for wheel weights to fall off?

Last edited by db1234; 02-14-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
jack your car up and check your ball joings and bushing. could be that the've cracked / broken off.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by db1234
So, this past week we got about a foot of snow. The day after, on my way home from work on the freeway, my car was shaking really bad. At the time I kind of figured that it had something to do with the snow/ice that was built up somewhere. Sure enough, the problem eventually resolved itself. In talking to the service guy at my dealership he explained that what probably happened was that ice has built up on the rims causing the wheels to become unbalanced. However, even now I still seem to notice that something is not quite right. First, it seems that the car just doesn't ride as smooth as it did before the snow storm. Second, it seems that my steering wheel is overly sensitive when going over bumps. Lastly, when pulling the wheel all the way over to one direction and then moving, the car almost seems like it slips. If any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone, please let me know your thoughts. I just have that feeling where I am not sure I am imagining things, or if there is a real problem. I just took my car in today for an oil change and tire rotation, and kind of mentioned this, but the guy passed at off as a result of what I explained earlier (ice/snow build up on the rims causing imbalance), and they didn't mention anything after doing the tire rotation (although they weren't looking for a problem). Is there something wrong with my alignment/toe camber? Is it possible for wheel weights to fall off?
This kind of a vague "something's not quite right" complaint can to difficult to diagnose (and maddening for everyone invloved). There are a few fairly obvious things to check, but beyond that it's almost just trial and error. First, you really need to decide if it's just your imagination. Is this your first winter with the car? How familiar are you with the way the tires act when they're cold (I mean winter cold)? The TSX seems to be a little more sensitive than most to running on cold tires (from my own experience and from what I've read here). The car does have a tendency to vibrate a little until the tires warm up, and it's especially noticeable on the highway (and they also have less grip when cold). OK barring that, and assuming it's not all in your head, then as I stated earlier, take a look at the obvious things. Did you hit a pothole or run over something? If so, you may have bent a wheel, so try to check them (the inside of the rim too). You may have dropped a wheel weight, though it's unlikely (the stick-on ones that are used on most alloy wheels now are pretty dependable). It's probably not an alignment issue, since that usually doesn't show up as a vibration. You may want to have the wheels balanced, and since you recently had them rotated, I guess you can rule out any loose lug nuts. Anything beyond these simple checks would be something that really wouldn't be related to your recent snow storm. That would just be coincidence. And.... it may just be that, post snow storm, the roads are extra bumpy and slippery. The efforts to clean up a foot of snow takes it's toll on the roads too. If you enlist help from a service station or a dealer (might be preferable), try to pay attention to exactly what's going on so you can tell your tale and pass along what it is that's not quite right.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Instructor

First of all, let me second the second post.

Secondly, try to get an experienced driver to test drive your car -- perhaps someone at an independent alignment shop or someone else in the local area that has had a TSX for more than a year.

Are there still slippery spots on the roads? If so, it could explain most of what you experience. Do you get the same experience with the VSA on and with the VSA off (in the same area, in the same conditions). When you go over bumps, are you on the throttle or off the throttle (it is best to be off the throttle). Do you need to take the bumps slower?

Check the tires for any blisters or bald spots. If you experience a periodic sound, or vibration, when the tire rolls along, you might consider having both your wheels, and your tires, checked for runout (roundness). The first checks the metal wheel. The second checks the tire mounted on the wheel.

But a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench (or at least a pull handle), a 6 inch extension, and a six point socket of the correct size (17 or 18mm?). Set all lug nuts to the proper torque (is it 90 lbs?). Then, wrap the tools in an old tower, surround with 3-4 #64 rubber bands and store in your spare wheel well for future use. Under the lug nuts, where they contact the wheel, and also on the treads, apply a little white grease (the grease used for garage doors also works well).

What year is your car and how many miles? How long have you had it?

Your description is too vague to be indicative of any specific problem. So, the best idea I can give you is to have someone experienced and knowledgeable (other than the dealer) have a look. Usually, when something doesn't feel right -- something isn't right. But, not always.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

ok, so I think any issue I may have thought I had with the car not riding as smooth are gone. The only thing that I think still may be off is perhaps the camber of the front wheels. However, I think my alignment (in the sense that the car drives straight) is fine. Is it possible for the camber to be off, but the car does not drift to either side when taking your hand off the wheel?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Sure. See: http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

I imagine that even toe-in being off would not necessarily cause a drift. The only way to know if the alignment is off is to put the car on a good rig that can check all four wheels. We have independent suspension in the rear, so it can also be out of alignment -- easier than with a straight shaft.

For alignment, you might want to consider the dealer. Otherwise, stick with a shop that does nothing but alignments.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JimHolloman
...Under the lug nuts, where they contact the wheel, and also on the treads, apply a little white grease...

I hope to god you mean threads. Do not ever put any grease or lubricant (or tire polish) on the tire tread!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mskierki
I hope to god you mean threads...
Surely!