Hate To Do This, But What Are The Advantages of TSX Over Accord & Vice Versa?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate To Do This, But What Are The Advantages of TSX Over Accord & Vice Versa?

I'm getting a new car when I turn 16. We have two choices of either the Accord or TSX. I've done some research on it, but I would like to ask you guys who have more personal experience. Could you kinda help me out here. Oh, I know that Accord is very easy to bargain with as opposed to the TSX. Exactly how low have you guys gotten down to, or know people who have. Oh yeah, I would like to learn how to drive a clutch, so which one of the cars would be easier to learn?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by db78
I'm getting a new car when I turn 16. We have two choices of either the Accord or TSX. I've done some research on it, but I would like to ask you guys who have more personal experience. Could you kinda help me out here. Oh, I know that Accord is very easy to bargain with as opposed to the TSX. Exactly how low have you guys gotten down to, or know people who have.
Get the TSX, it is SO much sexier! I was put in an awkward situation where I needed a car ASAP, and that is why I had to get the Accord cuz the TSX wasn't released yet. Accord...you will see at least 15 everyday. TSX, a lot rarer ...maybe 1 per day if you're lucky.

BUt you're 16!! Just buy the cheapest car you can so your parents won't be burdened with a high car payment!! (or yourself!)

TSX gets my vote...and this is coming from an Accord owner.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:56 PM
JDM Pursuer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol so that will be your first car you drive? I assume you didn't get the license yet since you aren't 16 yet.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced

The TSX is much better looking than the Accord.

If you value money = buy accord
If you want people to actually stare at your car = tsx no question. (esp with skirts)

Good luck
Old 06-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Advanced

khannie, thats why Im leaning towards Accord. I hate how my parents are buying me a new car, I really haven't done anything to deserve it besides do good in school, but a ton of kids do that. WingWing, actually the first car I drove would be a Corolla during behind the wheel training. Then my mom's minivan! HECK YA! *cries* I turn 16 next month, I've had my permit since November or December.

Now are there any specific advantages of each, like better interior, better navi, etc.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:03 PM
such a dirty birdy

Styling (inside and out) is a personal thing, you make your own decision there. Bottom line on your question IMO is this:

TSX == better handling == > more fun
Accord == a bit roomier inside ==> more practical
Old 06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
JDM Pursuer

khannie, thats why Im leaning towards Accord. I hate how my parents are buying me a new car, I really haven't done anything to deserve it besides do good in school, but a ton of kids do that. WingWing, actually the first car I drove would be a Corolla during behind the wheel training. Then my mom's minivan! HECK YA! *cries* I turn 16 next month, I've had my permit since November or December.

Now are there any specific advantages of each, like better interior, better navi, etc.
whoops sorry don't know the minimum age law for license in USA. But in Canada, you basically need to be 17 to get the actual driving permit. Will you be going for manual or auto? if manual, no doubt it's TSX
Old 06-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Race Director

there have been numerous threads that mention that the TSX is better than the Accord of course most importantly in styling.

but since you're just turning 16, i would get the a 2001 used Prelude instead. your insurance will be very high if you got the TSX instead of driving a used last yr production 2001 Prelude.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Styling personally I like TSX, it's a pretty hot car indeed. As for actual specs.

1. The navi inside both of them are identical right? Besides the placement of buttons.
2. How does the 200 HP 4 cylinder in TSX compare with the 240 HP 6 cylinder?

I want to learn manual, so the car hopefully will be manual. My concern is that I suck and can't learn manual right. :/

Edit: The insurance will be pretty high. But it'll go under my dad, technically I'll be the primary driver of his Corolla.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I would go against insuring it under your dad's name. If you get into an accident, then you'll screw his premiums up. You may pay higher insurance when you're 16, but it pays off in the long run. Especially if your insurance carrier offers an additional discount for 10 years of safe driving. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

As a previous poster mentioned...I'd buy a used car as your first car. That way you can master driving manual without worrying about toasting a new clutch.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW! I am impressed DB! You're a good kid, you actually care about your parents hard earned money! Thats a lot more than I can say about some kids who get luxury cars from their parents even when they have a .00001 GPA. And a lot more than I can say about someone giving their mom an attitude cuz she bent her license plate frame (you know who you are!)

If you care that much, then get a 00-02 car...used, accord, integra, prelude, etc. They all come in stick and it'd be better to learn stick on a used car than a brand new one. Good luck with everything!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:45 PM
101 years of heartache...

hey hey watch it im stuck in my 97 grand caravan as my car when i do take out a car on my own (2004 insurance is higher then 97's, so im stuck as a makeshift soccer mom ).

As for the question, of course I'd take the TSX. TSX is a classy looking car in white or black, sporty in red, blue, or cg. If you're looking for a ton of room for friends, the TSX is NOT for you. Accord is bigger, more powerful (assuming you opt for the 3.0L V6). But the TSX has finer lines, awesome handling, and better materials if you're looking into that.

Also, TSX has so many little "cool" features, such as remote window control, LED Instrument Panel, metallic trim with "blue ambient lighting" (although my family agreed the agreed with me on CG or white, they chose white..Parchment interior). Look if you want a cool car, TSX. Room and some extra power, Accord.

Both are on Car & Driver's 10 best list, both have that awesome Honda or Toyota quality/reliability, but the TSX would be my pick. Hey, if you're like me, its all about the HID XENONS! . Cant get that in an Accord...
Old 06-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Instructor

get a junk manual car and practice well before you make a purchase of any brand new car...and ask yourself honestly if you are able to handle a 200hp or 250hp car? why not start off with something with less power and gain more road experiences...hope you make the right choice...good luck
Old 06-25-2004, 03:24 PM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Both are on Car & Driver's 10 best list, both have that awesome Honda or Toyota quality/reliability, but the TSX would be my pick. Hey, if you're like me, its all about the HID XENONS! . Cant get that in an Accord...
If they hid the xenons, where are they?

JK
Old 06-25-2004, 03:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
16 years old = Accord Coupe EX V6 MT.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:39 PM
JDM Pursuer

Originally Posted by Zigen
get a junk manual car and practice well before you make a purchase of any brand new car...and ask yourself honestly if you are able to handle a 200hp or 250hp car? why not start off with something with less power and gain more road experiences...hope you make the right choice...good luck
True. I don't suggest you buy either of those two cars until you are 18 or something.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Closet TSX Luva

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Also, TSX has so many little "cool" features, such as remote window control, LED Instrument Panel, metallic trim with "blue ambient lighting"
Just FYI...we also have the remote window control, metallic trim and ambient lighting (except ours is orange LOL)

It all depends on what you want. Test drive both of them. I LOVE the TSX, and was even thinking of trading my Accord in for one...but for me, I prefer performance (over handling), and I couldn't go to a car lower than my 240hp V6...
Old 06-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Originally Posted by AccordEXGirl
Just FYI...we also have the remote window control, metallic trim and ambient lighting (except ours is orange LOL)

It all depends on what you want. Test drive both of them. I LOVE the TSX, and was even thinking of trading my Accord in for one...but for me, I prefer performance (over handling), and I couldn't go to a car lower than my 240hp V6...
OMFG....not this shit again.......... x1,989,345,789,395.69 .........KID, YOUR 16! just have your paents buy you a BMW and be done with it, or maybe an escalade?

honestly though, after haveing both, i agree with AccordGirl, i will never buy another 4 banger, unless it's turbo, again.
the power is soooooo much fun!

so, heres what i say: IF YOU BUY A 4CYL CAR GET THE TSX. PERIOD. WAY better than the 4cyl accord, either coupe or sedan addition. tsx wins hands down, EVERYTIME!

HOWEVER..........if you want POWER get the v6 accord, preferably coupe, cause i think the 4 door looks like :shit: , now, this is just my opion, and I HAVE HAD BOTH.

also, try using the little button in the top right corner........SEARCH. its your freind!

good luck.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Instructor

The only thing that Accrod (V6 MT) better than TSX is the speed. Other than this, TSX is better from inside to outside.

Beside.. Accord is everywhere, just like Taxi or bus. Why pay 25K for a car that same as everyone else?
Old 06-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

That's the beauty of this situation...do you want a car that handles on rails? Or do you want a car that has decent straight line speed?
Old 06-25-2004, 05:07 PM
The Voice of Reason

I'm getting a new car when I turn 16. We have two choices of either the Accord or TSX. I've done some research on it, but I would like to ask you guys who have more personal experience. Could you kinda help me out here. Oh, I know that Accord is very easy to bargain with as opposed to the TSX. Exactly how low have you guys gotten down to, or know people who have. Oh yeah, I would like to learn how to drive a clutch, so which one of the cars would be easier to learn?
First, taking this backwards, the cars to learn how to shift a manual transmission on are the old Volvo 240 or a pickup truck. Preferably someone else's Volvo 240 or pickup truck. Not your TSX. Also, the TSX has paint that's either a 2-coat or a 3-coat process depending on the color which is a ***** to match after the inevitable shunt. Also, unlike the TSX, the 240 or pickup truck will have steel wheels, not alloy wheels and they're bend, not break, on contact with the inevitable curb. And they'll be cheap to replace.

Second, if your grades are that impressive you'll no doubt wind up at Harvard or MIT or Princeton and parking is at an extreme premium in Cambridge, MA and Princeton, NJ and you do NOT want to try parking a nice car on the street. And even if you do, you won't have the time to sleep never mind drive anywhere. I'd suggest banking the $$ and then buying a Bimmer when you graduate. Would you rather drive off to law or medical school in an extremely low mileage, 6-year old TSX with a snow-plow scrape all along the left side or a shiny new BMW 335i?

Finally, there are deeper discounts to be found on the Accord than on the TSX.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Banned

gosh....some people have it all so good....no wonder people in other countries hate us
Old 06-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Got Ramen?

I'd tell you to go test drive both but you have to be 18+ to do tat?
Personally, i'd go for the TSX alone on styling, and interior. But the Accord is well built too and accepts regular 87 fuel. The TSX handles better than the Accord tho. I;m still driving my 98 Accord and am also stumped on choosing a 04 black Accord EX-V6 or TSX.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Advanced

buy the TSX and let your dad use it until you think are mature enough to drive a 200 hp car, in the mean time drive you dad's corolla it will be a lot easier on your $$$ (premium gas and insurance rate)
Old 06-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Originally Posted by TSX noob
buy the TSX and let your dad use it until you think are mature enough to drive a 200 hp car, in the mean time drive you dad's corolla it will be a lot easier on your $$$ (premium gas and insurance rate)

how do you know his dad has a corolla?

by the sound of it, he has a Benzo or a Bimmer!

<------ i love that thing! haha
Old 06-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 21_in_az
how do you know his dad has a corolla?

by the sound of it, he has a Benzo or a Bimmer!

<------ i love that thing! haha
from post #9
Old 06-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Race Director

word 21inaz and accordexgirl! i love v6 too! i love that power and performance when i get a chance to drive the folks G35 love it! the TSX is prob my last 4-cyl car for now. i want to move up to a V6 minus the good gas mileage and $$ in gas i'll be saving in the TSX.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Advanced

The TSX is still faster than -imo- 75% of the cars you see on the road day to day. Go with the TSX. The Accord is faster still, and has a nice interior but eventually your going to have to get out and look at the exterior.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Just get the TL and live your life man. The TL is the ultimate Accord a combo of styling of the Euro Accord/TSX and the US Accord
Old 06-26-2004, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

You better get a low-end, second-hand car first if you want to learn driving a clutch. hehehe!

Anyhow, if cost of the car and isurance is not an issue, then get a TSX. An Accord is more practical, but the TSX is definitely more fun to drive. I had my TSX for almost a year, and yet and I still have the same feeling everytime I drive this baby...it's just me, the feel of leather, 200 horses... and the road.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Old 06-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Advanced

21 because I said that I drove my drive my dad's Corolla now in a previous post.

Second, if your grades are that impressive you'll no doubt wind up at Harvard or MIT or Princeton and parking is at an extreme premium in Cambridge, MA and Princeton, NJ and you do NOT want to try parking a nice car on the street. And even if you do, you won't have the time to sleep never mind drive anywhere. I'd suggest banking the $$ and then buying a Bimmer when you graduate. Would you rather drive off to law or medical school in an extremely low mileage, 6-year old TSX with a snow-plow scrape all along the left side or a shiny new BMW 335i?

My grades aren't THAT impressive. I've gotten 4.0 since 7th grade, except for one 3.95 in 8th grade. That's non weighted, except at my HS, A- are counted as A's. Anyways, I won't be going to any of those ivy league schools for undergrad anyways. First of all, it's a lot of money for my parents to pay if I'm in such an ivy league school, and secondly I wouldn't be able to get in anyways.

Just get the TL and live your life man. The TL is the ultimate Accord a combo of styling of the Euro Accord/TSX and the US Accord

That was an option until we found out it'd cost about $900 to keep on a month. Atleast 600 for payments, 200 for insurance(me), my dad's insurance will go up, gas, and maintance. For our situation, totally not worth it. Also I'd feel guilty as hell that my parents are putting up so much money for me. They still have to take care fo my little sister and brother later on.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned

Noooooo...no F%%$KING WAY

Originally Posted by TSX noob
buy the TSX and let your dad use it until you think are mature enough to drive a 200 hp car......
hehe I will bet my farm that daddy will go along this line:
"Think you are ready for MY TSX ??!! Over my stinking dead body....BOY.."
Old 06-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Originally Posted by domn
16 years old = Accord Coupe EX V6 MT.
Hey DOMN.................

hahahaha

theres to you, oh holy one!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

hahahaha
Old 06-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Hey DOMN, heres what 16yr olds do to nice cars:

Old 06-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Banned

only in California
Old 06-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

:shakehd:
Old 06-27-2004, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

[B][I]As far as pricing goes on the TSX, you're right--you have a much better shot a deal on the Accord since they are SO massed produced in comparison. I paid sticker ($27K+TTL) although they "threw in" the OEM rear spoiler and other prep stuff like sealant, trunk mat, mudguards, etc...
I was shopping TSX vs. 6sp Accord and finally decided on the 4-door for convenience. I know the TSX gives you HID headlights, 4yr/50K warranty, nice, outside mirror-mounted turn signals, a plethora of airbags (8), VSA and maybe a few other amenities. Probably (outside of the 6sp Accord) a better resale value since only the 6sp Accord will be in lower production totals than 6sp TSXs. Also, you may enjoy the ambiance of the Acura dealership vs. Honda, but that's not really the issue here. I'll tell you what, though, that manual on the TSX is the best one I've driven since my best friend's BMW!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:34 PM
synthetic artifice

I'm getting a new car when I turn 16. We have two choices of either the Accord or TSX.
If you get the Acura, girls who weren't interested in you before suddenly will be. Invest in a healthy supply of rubbers, and nail as many of them as you can. In a couple years, they'll be jailbait, and all you'll have will be the memories.

Quick Reply: Hate To Do This, But What Are The Advantages of TSX Over Accord & Vice Versa?